IMDb > Missing Pieces (2000) (TV) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Missing Pieces (TV) More at IMDbPro »

Interesting & mysterious

Author: Melissa Alice from USA
27 January 2001

It's a good movie that's not just a mystery, but a story of forgiveness, honesty, and family. The actors/actresses give the right touch of mystery and emotion. Sometimes it seems a little wandering or slow, but it kept my attention throughout because there's something about the places and people that makes you reflect.

A Surprising Good Movie, With Familiar Drama and Mystery

Author: Claudio Carvalho from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
29 October 2003

Minor Spoiler

Atticus Cody (James Coburn) is a widow father living in a ranch like a cowboy. In Christmas, his son Scott Cody (Paul Kersey), who lives in Mexico, pays him a visit and they spend the Christmas night together with the family of his other son. Then, through flashbacks, we become aware that Scott killed his mother in a car accident and neither Atticus nor Scott has overcome the loss of their beloved wife and mother. There is a trauma in the breast of their family. Scott returns to Mexico and a few days later Atticus is informed that Scott committed suicide. Atticus moves to Mexico and there he meets Renata (Lisa Zane), the former girlfriend of Scott. He realizes that a mystery evolves the death of Scott. With a very tight screenplay, this movie is indeed a good film. It becomes slow, in a familiar drama, and ends in a very credible mystery. The screenplay is excellent, there is a good direction and the cast is sharp. But the entire plot is actually supported by the great performance of James Coburn. I believe the viewer will not be disappointed with this slow, but very easy-to-believe story. My vote is seven.

James Coburn plays Columbo

Author: ksf-2 from southwest US
21 August 2013

Made just a couple years before he died, James Coburn is "Atticus Cody", who travels to Mexico to find out what happened to his son. An accomplished singer around LA, Lisa Zane co-stars as Renata, the son's girlfriend. When little things don't add up, Atticus tries to dig deeper and investigate. It's better than I was expecting... a couple times I tried to predict what was coming next, and was wrong both times. A good who-dunnit, and why-didthey-dunnit! The son is played by Paul Kersey, who seems to have stopped acting in 2003 ? As of today, this film is only available in VHS form on amazon.com. Sure, there's a silly, unlikely scene with the motorcycle, but this can be forgiven. All in all, not bad.

Directed by Carl Schenkel, who directed numerous films and commercials, yet died young at 55. Based on the novel by Ron Hansen, who was probably better known for "The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford".

A complex mystery, somewhat slow moving.

Author: Lee Speth from Alhambra, CA
6 April 2001

This movie contains a strong performance by James Coburn, who is in virtually every frame. He is well-supported in a story that moves from a ranch somewhere in the American West to a resort community in Mexico. The mystery is complex, and does move fairly glacially at times. Two cavils: I found it hard to believe that Coburn's character would put up so passively with Lisa Zane's personal snipings, and I was puzzled by several references to legal hanging in contemporary Mexico. Mexico got rid of slavery before we Americanos did, and it has preceded us in dropping the death penalty. But on the whole an interesting and sometimes moving treatment of family and loss themes.

Missing lots of pieces indeed

Author: Sjoerd (Filmfan-NL) from Netherlands
30 August 2002

It took me about three quarters of the movie to figure out where it aims. Is it a thriller, drama or ....? Since it is based on a novel, the story itself probably just doesn't add up.

The buzzword is pointless. Nothing new to learn, no interesting insight in human's psyche, no unorthodox behavior, no special effects worth mentioning, no twists and turns we haven't seen a zillion times before. Coburn is flat as the father, and his son resembles a doped dimwit from the cuckoo's nest. His girlfriend is convincing as a banana imitating a strawberry. Can you say 'flat characters'?

Don't watch it, it is a waste of time.

The stage was set for Coburn

Author: gordem1 from Burlington, Ontario Canada
4 August 2002

This was a vehicle for James Coburn but he's too one-dimensional to carry the whole load. He's a character from the past and far too stilted to play anything but a tough-guy cowboy. His emotions seem contrived and Hustonesque. This Hallmark special was a major letdown because Coburn is a support actor not a star. Don't waste your time watching Missing Pieces......it's missing too many important pieces.