The Amputee (1974) Poster

(1974)

17 ReviewsOrdered By: Helpfulness
An experiment, rather than an experimental film
Michael_Cronin19 October 2003
While at the American Film Institute, David Lynch tested two different types of videotape stock by shooting this strange little piece, featuring Catherine Coulson as an amputee writing a letter, & Lynch as a nurse attending her. Coulson's voiceover details various domestic issues, & she remains oblivious to the fact that she might be bleeding to death while the nurse rushes around frantically, eventually, it seems, abandoning her.

It has been suggested that Lynch deliberately shot both versions badly, so that the Institute wouldn't start replacing film with videotape.

Regardless of whether or not this is true, The Amputee is better viewed as an example of Lynch's warped sense of humour than his skill as a filmmaker, & of what sort of ideas he might come up with for something as simple as a stock test.
22 out of 22 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
An intrigue...
mastyrmynd3 September 2004
While it is not as deep or impressive as some of Lynch's other works, I believe that this film breaks new ground in terms of camera work and how a scene is put together. I think it is important that this film is shot twice, once to capture the story, the other to capture what is happening. If you view simply the woman, you will grasp what her letter is all about, however, if you view the nurse, you will take in only what the nurse is doing. Viewing it once just staring at the woman, and then again viewing only the nurse gives quite a contrasting look at the same exact picture. It may very well be an experiment only, but the fact that it has this effect is intriguing on its own. Try it yourself!
8 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A little throwaway short from David Lynch
Red-Barracuda16 December 2011
David Lynch made this short during a troubled time when filming of Eraserhead had come to a stand-still due to lack of funds. He volunteered to make a short film twice as a test for a couple of stocks of black and white videotape that the American Film Institute wished to compare. As a result he made a film called The Amputee twice. Both versions are more or less the same and consist of a woman who is a double-amputee reading aloud to herself the contents of a letter that she has written while a doctor tends one of the stumps on her legs. It ends with the stump gushing blood, the doctor fleeing and the woman completely oblivious.

In truth it isn't very interesting. It's shot in one take with ugly composition. The quality of the videotape is poor in both versions; while the content is a combination of the repulsive with the mundane. It was written and filmed over the course of one day, and it is throwaway stuff that is of limited interest. It's more an example of the director's bizarre humour than anything else. It stars Catherine Coulson who would go on to play the part of The Log Lady in Twin Peaks.
4 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Brilliant
s_aucejo30 April 2005
David Lynch wrote this short film to test two different types of videotape stock for the American Film Institute.

You can check this out in "The Short films of David Lynch". I found this short extremely intelligent. In "The Short films of David Lynch" it is shown twice, but is not the same action, only the text is the same.

For me, in the first time I just couldn't stop staring at the nurse, who is in the only place on screen where action is happening.

The second time, what she is is "thinking" gets more relevant to the audience, but we find out that it has no connection at all to her legs and to the nurse.

In the end I figured out that I had just watched two different short movies! It's a great feeling for those who like the art of making movies!
7 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
This I didn't care for so much
jbels28 January 2003
While David Lynch's films tend to gross you out through their art, this seemed to be made just to gross out. If the woman was saying something in her letter, it gets lost in the first viewing and this is not something I'd like to see a second time. Albeit, there are two versions of this on the DVD. The second, shorter version looks like it has more goop shooting out, though the quality makes it hard to tell.
6 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
2 versions
Michael_Elliott26 February 2008
Amputee, The (1974) Version 1

*** (out of 4)

Amputee, The (1974) Version 2

** 1/2 (out of 4)

David Lynch's fourth film has a woman (Catherine E. Coulson) with no legs writing a letter to a lover while a nurse (Lynch) does weird things to her stumps. It should come as no shock but here's another very strange film from the director. It's weird because while your ears are listening to what the woman has to say, your eyes never leave her stumps where all sorts of weird things are going on. I'm sure this short will offend many people and it's this offensiveness that makes the film so effective. The goo coming from her stump has to be seen. The second version runs a minute shorter and doesn't appear to have as much being done to her stumps.
4 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Simply gruesome
enmussak23 December 2002
If you enjoy being disgusted (as I do), then you will love this. It is challenging to really make your audience want to gag (as I heard John Waters say once), and Lynch does it very well here. The 5 minutes consists of an amputee getting her wounds cleaned and it is not pleasant. Enjoy! 8/10
5 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
meh, but it goes without saying...
MisterWhiplash4 June 2006
Maybe the lesser of the bunch of David Lynch shorts I've seen, the only real interest are in some seconds here and there within the four minute un-broken shot of some nasty, black-death humor that's ingrained into the material. Unfortunately, it's almost a waste to watch the film as it is by admission of Lynch himself a technical 'throaway', something to just get onto film to bite back at the AFI for possibly switching to video. Therefore we get what could be comparable to what Godard did around the same time- tool around with the possibilities of video by just going for something off-putting within the frame. It could've worked maybe as something worth watching more, but it's really a bit too un-pleasant even in its own biting sense-of-what-the-hell way. It's just an amputee who writes a confessional letter (heard in voice-over) as a wacko doctor plugs away at one of her stumps. He also, at the end, just runs away in a hurry, perhaps as to just add that last bit of "whoa" for Lynch to work with. That part is actually a nice bit of surreal whimsy, but the work is just too simplistic and deranged to really give any sense of visual amazement like in the other shot works of Lynch, or to build on the outrageousness like in Eraserhead. Worth a watch, once, then never again unless you have a thing for, well, stumps, and confessional letters written during their upheaval.
4 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Not That Great
Scars_Remain12 September 2008
I understand that this was shot by David Lynch to test two different kinds of film. However, there's really nothing to it other than that. It's just an amputated woman writing a letter to someone, and later getting operated on. It's one continuous shot and nothing else happens at all. There is a cool effect with blood at one point that I did enjoy, but I think that's all that I really liked about it. It's just boring I guess you could say, and as a David lynch junkie, I was certainly let down. But it's all relative I suppose, I a lot of people have enjoyed it so you may also. After all, anything from the best living director is worth seeing!
3 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Repetitive and boring
filmreviews@web.de14 July 2015
This is a black-and-white short film by director David Lynch from the 1970s. He was still in his 20s when he shot this one. Basically for the entire 9 minutes, we watch a woman sitting on an armchair. The camera is static and the woman has stumps instead of legs, must have been in a terrible accident. The woman (played by Catherine E. Coulson, long-time collaborator with Lynch) keeps telling random stories about people we do not know, while a nurse (played by Lynch himself) is busy with taking care of the lady's stumps. I am fairly certain that this film would not be famous if it wasn't for its director. It's really very uninteresting and I cannot come up with a similar reason why you would want to watch this. Maybe the static camera is supposed to let us feel the woman's situation as she cannot move either. I have no idea. But I certainly do not recommend this one. Entirely forgettable.
1 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this