IMDb > "Passions" (1999) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Passions"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Passions" More at IMDbPro »

Page 11 of 16: [Prev][6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [Next]

100feet below rock bottom and you might just find this show... might

Author: groovy_gloss from Anti-Passion
15 August 2003

I would have to say it is true, I was hooked. What can I say? Nothing better was on in the afternoon so I watched "Passions". And then we got Cable and I found out how fun it is to watch ADS instead of the c**p they call a TV show. I mean whoever said it could go on TV was either desperate, and I mean really desperate.

This show is an excuse for struggling actors to absolutely screw whatever shred of a career they might've been able to grab, but instead they decided to go on "Passions".

I mean I was watching the show and then I stopped and came back 2months later and I think they were still making the same decision... How long does this show want to take... Not to mention it is taking on the whole "Bold and the Beautiful" side of things with people marrying into families so many times they could be Mother,father,sister and granddaughter all in one!

So to sum it all up, they should get over themselves, learn how to actually cry and pull off a plot with out looking like d*ck heads and put on some ads... atleast the people in the ads are more convincing.

Fascinating

Author: blinkprincess17 from Massachusetts, USA
29 January 2003

After promising myself over and over again that I would NEVER get myself hooked on a soap opera, I found "Passions", the only interesting, and actually thrilling soap opera I have ever seen. I got hooked right from the start. I'm sorry, but the characters are just so fascinating and evil and creepy and beautiful and romantic that I simply *must* watch this show! Even if you miss an episode, you won't get too lost- everything is conveniently reiterated. From the beautiful and highly distraught Teresa to the poor love-struck Luis and Sheridan to the lying, scheming monster Ivy, this show is a must-watch for me. Sure, the dialogue is often corny, but it's not your average soap, I promise you! It's got highly complex characters and plots, very good acting, and even a touch of the supernatural with the witch Tabitha and the wicked "Zombie Charity"! Give "Passions" a spin- it's fun!

Devolution of a soap opera

Author: solarblip from West Virginia
10 February 2002

From its inception Passions has been a "unique" show; however, rather than growing and expanding the show has remained relatively static. After two and a half years it has yet to find itself, the show continues to suffer from all too frequent flashbacks, treating its audience as if they had the memory retention of two-year-olds (and this is only one of its many faults). In its time on the air, Passions has yet to develop any rhythm in its storytelling or in its pacing, as it frequently devotes several episodes to the events of a single day. This in and of itself might not be a problem, but in doing so the characters often re-enact nearly the same scenes and dialog (Groundhog Day everyday). This frequent repetition has resulted in a snail's pace show that can go several episodes without materially advancing a single storyline. The recent diversion of the story while the writers (term applied loosely to those individuals who are nominally responsible for putting the words in the mouths of the actors of this show) indulge in time-consuming mystic-fantasy Bermuda Triangle drivel that is supposed to somehow be romantic or something, but in reality was neither romantic, interesting or in anyway advanced the storyline (this also ran over the course of several episodes). Yet another troubling aspect of Passions is that it is completely divorced from reality. The writers often depart from known physical facts. For example, an explosion in a hospital room was blamed on a spark created by one character's jewelry and the oxygen in use. Oxygen does not explode -- it enhances a flame (metal can be made to burn in an oxygen rich atmosphere) -- but only in a confined area, otherwise it would dilute. The explosion was something of a cliffhanger, but ultimately not even a scratch was suffered. Speaking of explosions one character, Sheridan, was on a boat when a bomb detonated. Not only did she miraculously survive, but she suffered neither burn nor scrape. In another equally miraculous turn of events the character, Theresa, was involved in a motorcycle accident and suffered a head injury that put her into a life-threatening coma, but had no cuts, bruises or swelling; yet another character, Whitney, had a scaffolding with a load of debris collapse on her (no cuts, bruises, or broken bones). Finally, most the characters seem to have no other life or activities beyond their personal relationships -- only Eve, the doctor, is seen regularly doing her job. Sam and Luis, the police, are seen infrequently doing their job. Grace, who runs a Bed and Breakfast and a shop is rarely at work. T.C., teacher and coach, is never on the job and the teenagers are never in school (the teenagers are treated as junior adults -- which on this show means being not very teenager like). In summary Passions is perhaps the most poorly written show on television with so many faults that it is at once easy to point them out and difficult to point them all out. Passions is akin to a traffic accident -- something terrible -- but in it still attracts a crowd.

This show's too slow!!

Author: Angel-Marie
25 May 2001

That's right! The storylines are way too long. I find myself watching All My Childern and Bold And Beautiful (they air at 1:00 and 1;30 in my city). The actors are great, I love their acting but the constant slow paced stories make the show about as stale as a old doughnut. You wonder why Port Charles is in 9th place in the Nelsons now!!

gotta love it

Author: gratcas from United States
14 November 2006

I don't know exactly why, but i love, i do get annoyed with them dragging out the plot forever, but there is that element to it will people end up with their true love, will they be true to their inner passion or will they stay where they are out of some moral obligation they feel they have to honor. If you haven't watched to show from the beginning then you have no clue and no right to judge it, you must understand the story and know the back history of the characters to see why they are who they are today, give the show a chance, i cant get enough of it, me and my friend everyday that we can are sitting in front of the TV engrossed in whatever new twist is happening on passions, hoping that the people that are meant to be together get together and stay together, all in all, i love it and hope you give it a chance

A slightly interesting, yet thoroughly awful show

Author: madaboo from United States
13 February 2006

This show is just awful. The acting is so bad, and none of it is realistic at all. Whenever I see it I just sit there laughing. I can't understand how some people like it so much. There's a woman who's a witch and she's always talking with the "boys in the basement" and acting like supernatural forces govern our choices and outcomes in life. Theresa tries to make everyone's life miserable just so she can get back with Ethan and it always ends out the same. Ethan and Theresa staring at each other. Just get it over with! And don't even get me started with Fancy...The story is awful, it makes no sense, and it is exactly the same in every episode. Just kill them all off, and stop airing the show!

gang member wielding the knife

Author: kyong_1 from United States
15 December 2005

Passions can definitely be considered a cheesy but fun soap. I always flip between GH and Passions, and i tuned in to today's episode while folding laundry and I couldn't help but notice one of the actresses that sliced Julian crane's hand. She was gorgeous, but she seems to have such a mysterious look about her. I wonder what nationality she is? I hope that Passions brings her back for more...she has really intrigued me. When she said "You will see me again, Lezzie" i hope that the soap means it. I would love to see more of her. I never turned my tube back to General Hospital after seeing her. It would be great if the soap brought her back as a pivotal character. Like a trouble girl with a mysterious past, that tries to change her life around. But before she does that, she torments Simone and Jessica for a long long time. She seems to have a lot of talent. The other girls were good too, but the girl with the knife stands way out from the others. I would love to see more of Jessica Anderson in the future.

Excuses, Excuses, Excuses

Author: Aidan from Florida
17 June 2003

I watched Passions religiously from 1999 until late 2001. I used to watch it because it was the one show I could really use to escape from the drama that was going on in my adolescent life. I lost interest after that for a lot of reasons:

1) I was really becoming fed up with how none of the secrets had fully been exposed and still haven't.

2) There are a whole bunch of young characters on the show, but their problems never had anything to do with what was going on in school. In fact, they were never shown in school and now that they are in college, they're still not shown doing anything, it's mentioned from time to time but never shown. This show hasn't shown any characters with problems that younger people like myself could relate to.

3) The dialogue is absolutely horrible. It's EXTREMELY repetitive. One sentence will be said 12 times in one show, but maybe reworded differently.

4) The writers take things too far, drag storylines on for too long, and are once again repetitive. How many times are we going to have people on the verge of dying, but never actually dying? And how many psychopaths are we going to have? It's like every psychopath who ever lived decided to visit Harmony and wreck lives.

5) Can the characters please move on with their lives? Everyone in the town is obsessed with at least one person. They don't love these people. They're obsessed with them. You gotta keep the ball rolling, you know?

Last point, I wanted to watch this show to escape things, but even after leaving for 6 months and coming back, I still find myself extremely frustrated, and I already have enough frustration in my life, I don't need something fictional making it just as stressful. They need someone to come in there and pick up the mess and I'd be happy to do it, myself.

The music of PASSIONS

Author: elizasimons from United States
14 March 2007

That was Keaton Simons' song "Without Your Skin" that played during the montage when he sees they're getting married in the hospital room on the show that aired March 14, 2007. Keaton's other songs, "To Me" and I think "Currently" were used on the show before. I love his music. It's a great fit for the show also. If you do an Internet search on him, you find out he's Eric Roberts' stepson. And you can get his music through the internet. I wonder if they cut the scene to fit the song or vice-versa. When you stop to think, there is a lot of work that goes into all the musical transitions and music to set an emotional climate on a show.

Drama? You MUST be kidding!

Author: Michael Scotts from Melbourne, Australia
14 March 2006

If ever you thought television couldn't sink so low, watch this incredible tripe. You will sit - open mouthed - as you watch scene-after-scene get worse than the one before.

It calls itself a drama, but I have watched it just to cheer myself up on a dismal day.

The dreadful acting is only surpassed by whomsoever called him/herself a scriptwriter. I would not be at all surprised if the orangutan - yes, there's an orangutan - wrote the scripts, but I reckon it would do a better job.

Poor John Mills will be spinning in his grave to see his daughter Juliett playing a ditsy witch named Tabatha. And 'Tabatha' isn't the only character the mediocre scriptwriters have stolen from the 'Bewitched' television series of the 60s. You will also find 'Hecuba' and even the farcical 'Dr Bombay', played by the original actor! Then there was the 'living doll' Timmy who, when he came alive, talked of himself in the third person and with a terrible lisp, whilst wearing gloves stolen from a Mickey Mouse marionette. (The poor actor has since died.)

No, for a fun afternoon watching a car crash, tune in to Passions... it's like Little Britain and The Office rolled into one, but without the intentional comedy.

Page 11 of 16: [Prev][6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [Next]