IMDb > "Passions" (1999) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Passions" More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 16:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Better than it gets credit for

Author: Karrie from USA
16 September 2003

Passions is pure entertainment. Complete with witches, orangutans, secrets, forbidden loves, great couples (even if they spend way more time apart than they do together), and comedy! There's a lot of funny moments that you just can't help but to laugh out loud over. The cast is superb!

A lot of people complain that it's so unrealistic. But that's what makes it "Passions." It's supposed to be different and a little unrealistic. I mean, how often do you see zombies wreaking havoc, witches casting spells, lovers being reincarnated, and orangutans changing an old lady's diapers in real life? If you're not into the unrealistic stuff and feel the need to complain, just don't watch. The rest of us get it and love it!

So Silly That you Have to go With it

Author: TMC-4
16 August 1999

This is one of those shows that are so inane it just drives you in. Whether it's the simpleminded stories, corny dialog, or often amateurish acting. If the show was intended on playing it for laughs, then maybe what you see on screen would be easier to take.

Different but OK

Author: Dubs from Philadelphia, PA
5 November 1999

I never watch soap operas. Every time I was home from school and tried to watch one, I was always mystified by the seemingly intricate plots. Besides, soaps seemed aimed at adult women and homemakers.

Not the case with Passions. Before I came back to college, I caught fifteen minutes of one episode and was hooked on what I saw. It wasn't good by conventional standards; the characters weren't deep or intriguing and the acting was relatively mediocre.

Yet the actresses were cute. All of them. And they were all relatively young. The youth factor just seemed like a big break from the typical soap operas I had seen in passing before, and that alone was enough for me to be interested. I disagree with the previous commenter who feels that Passions is for "little ones." I don't think many high schoolers would catch this show on TV, since it plays at 1 PM here, but it could really succeed because it appeals to the niche market of college students, who are willing to watch almost any kind of television. For example, my two housemates now watch Passions with me after they previously mocked me incessantly. The only show we used to watch together on a regular basis was Sportscenter.

The subplots are all fairly interesting, and as others have noted, kind of different than one would expect for a soap. The characters of Timmy and Tabitha are definitely a change. After he first opened his mouth, I wanted to beat up Timmy, or as he would say, "Dubs wants to punch Timmy in the face," but even he has grown on me. I can't wait to catch up with the show tomorrow.

Silly enough to be fun(ny)

Author: Triple001
8 July 2001

This show IS lame and addictive. And I can't believe so many people feel the same makes me feel sane!

I suppose a majority of people started out watching this with enormous criticism. At first, one would think that: 1. The acting is rather over-done, 2. The dialogue is pretty pathetic, and 3. The storylines perhaps a little predictable and extremely slow (so slow in fact, that you could NOT watch Passions for about a month and still know what's going on).

Personally, I have never been into soaps before, but somehow Passions intrigued me the most. My initial reaction was one of confusion as the show is not your average soap opera. Oh no. Not only does it contain the ordinary conflicts, scheming, scandal and obsessions of certain characters, but it also includes elements of comedy and the supernatural.

Admittedly, Timmy was the main reason why I got interested, as I couldn't figure out whether he was a dwarf/midget or a little boy. As it turned out he was actually a doll, but either way, there was more to Passions than this strange aspect of fascination. Of course you could never leave out the Charity-Miguel-Kay or the Gwen-Ethan-Theresa love triangles. Here, we can witness the stupidity and naivety of Miguel and Ethan as they live their lives totally oblivious to the fact that they are being chased by crazed and obsessed girls who would do anything to win their loves.

Whatever the reason, it is understandable why Passions is not accepted by everyone, but if you give it a chance, at least enjoy it for the laugh factor. It might even keep you begging for more.

Too slow, but funny.

Author: lockbell from Atlanta, GA
15 February 2003

This show would be so much better if the writing wasn't sooooo repetitive.

Passions is a show that should be taken simply at face value -- don't look beyond the'll be lost. Yes, it's rediculous and it's meant to be. Part of its charm is that it makes fun of its own genre.

Don't expect Oscar winning performances, although there are a few on this show that can act (unfortunately, they're offset by multitudes who can't), but expect to laugh -- whether it's meant to be funny or not!

Saved by the Commercials

Author: William Wright ( from Harmony, Maine
10 August 1999

Passions: 40 minutes of Soap-free commercials!

This new daytime drama by former Days of Our Lives creator can't even be christened with the title of "Soap Opera." Perhaps Soap Dispenser is more apt; the more you watch it, the more you wish you could wash your ears, eyes, and throat out with the stuff. Imagine Saved by the Bell, that inane sitcom inspired by the popularity of the equally inane Beverly Hills 90210 from the late 80s, early 90s, minus any drama, any humor, any decent acting, or any clue.

What's worse is that the daily episodes keep getting worse and worse. It started out bad: national TV reviewers gave it a bomb rating it's first day out. But it's only gone down hill. Witness Sheridan Crane and her flashbacks of her "dear friend," Princess Di. Witness Theresa Lopez-Fitzgerald dumping fish guts on 21-year old lawyer, Ethan Crane. Witness pseudo-scary witch Tabatha twirl around in circles to produce, as one character on the show decries, "an insane wind from hell" to drive the entire cast out of a Red Lobster type restaurant.

How is it that I hate this show so much, yet, at the same time, know all of the characters' names? Simply, once you're hooked, you're just like those dead fish that got dumped on Ethan. You can't stop watching this show. You keep watching because you can't understand how it can get worse and worse, every day.

Easily the most insulting, sexist, and horrible shows on TV today (and that, dear friends, is a big, bold statement.) It's all those things and, just incidently, totally entertaining.

I felt Passions needed a positive comment...

Author: fadetodeath from Maryland
9 July 2000

The only review for this show is one and only after it being on for a few days. Yes, I too felt the same way when "Passions" first came on. It was poorly acted, poorly directed, and it seemed so unreal. However as it finally caught my eye to watch the effects have gotten better, as well as the script, the direction, and the acting. And who couldn't fall in love with an adorable life-like doll named Timmy? If you haven't seen the show, go and watch! If you have seen it and disliked it the first time (believe me, I was the same way) go watch it again. You'll understand why it's stayed on for the year that it has.

Also I'd like to say that I think some of Passions more appeal towards the audience is the fact that it has supernatural occurrences going on and most of the cast is rather young! It's what everyone is into these days. The characters might be a little too "goodie-goodie" but why not? Aren't we tired of our generation being depicted as self-centered, enraged, punks? I certainly am! Besides, some of the antics by one of the characters makes some of the teens not completely goodie-goodie. And she definitely feels the criteria of the "love to hate" character on a soap. I'm also addicted to the optimism and enthusiasm of some of the characters. Please, go watch!

Full of laughs

Author: lirpa77 from Canada
15 February 2006

I started watching this when it first came on. It was with a group of us in college who would make sure and put our classes around the time it came on. It is classic soap format! It is goofy and funny, not at all serious. They do try, but it just turns out to be funny. And the men, have I mentioned them...they all have wonderful bodies, and a tradition with Passions is to make sure they have their shirts off at anytime appropriate (or inappropriate)! I, unfortunately, have become addicted, and know it's ridiculous, but still watch. The best part of this show is the love triangles...there is always at least two going at all times. In one case it's Gwen, Ethan, and Teresa. Teresa is almost a stalker when it comes to Ethan, and Ethan has a real passionate love for her, but because of some good lies, Gwen has him. I want Teresa and Ethan to be together, but Gwen is the one whom he is married to...what do you do?? It's these triangles that keep me watching.

What happened?

Author: tamitiafo from United States
15 February 2006

I used to really enjoy this soap when it started out in 1999. The story lines and characters were interesting, intricate and refreshing. But after about 3-4years, the plot just went downhill. The soap was using the exact story lines when it began, the constant same struggles of the truth comes out, oh no it doesn't, and here is comes, and again no it didn't, and it goes on. The dialog and plot is repetitious,there is essentially no development in the characters, they make the same mistakes over and over, and over, they remain in the dimension that they were first portrayed or they become senseless characters the lack any senses. I understand the soaps don't really need to make sense, but certain things like "sitting and standing" shouldn't be too hard to do for people with legs that work. I really still love all the actors and actresses that still put up with such horrible writing. I really hope someone can come in and bring the refreshing and complex writing this soap once possessed.

Not Your Grandmother's Soap

Author: rodcenray from United States
29 May 2014

Passions was a groundbreaking soap opera created by the legendary writer, James E. Reilly. JER was the go-to-guy when soaps needed rating raising story lines; he singlehandedly saved Days of Our Lives from the cancellation block with one of the shows most entertaining story lines involving popular character, Marlena, being possessed by the devil. JER thrived on supernatural story lines and made them entertaining and engrossing. Unfortunately, the soaps he worked on already established a brand which wouldn't really allow for the exploratory plots he had in mind; enter Passions, the brainchild where JER could do whatever he wanted and build a fanbase around a different kind of soap...a soap that would be unlike any you'd watched before. It wasn't your Grandmother's soap. Passions began July 5th, 1999 to a lot of buzz--both good and bad. Many were disgruntled that Another World, an established brand, was cancelled for this new soap. True to form, JER wanted to keep people talking. Remember no press is bad press. If people are talking and watching--regardless of whether they like it or not-- then JER has accomplished what he set out to do. Oh, and boy did he ever! Many people began immediately petitioning the shows cancellation when it depicted the late Princess Diana as being heroine Sheridan Crane's best friend. NBC must've known that they stumbled upon gold because Passions proved the naysayers who prophesied it wouldn't see the end of 1999 wrong. Although never a top-rated soap opera--it only topped one other show consecutively, Port Charles--Passions still managed to always hit number one in key demographics. Full of memorable characters, whacky story lines, fated couples you loved to root for and the funnest spoofs (The Boozebornes, where Ben Masters (Julian) imitates a character similar to Ozzy Osbourne in one of Theresa's fantasies or any of the musical numbers such as Edna Wallace's Chicago-inspired fantasy of "I Ain't Sorry" or Gwen's of "Love is Ecstacy"). Passions revolutionized what a soap opera could be and JER loved pushing new boundaries--just when you thought you'd seen it all JER would laugh and remind you that on his show you ain't seen nothing yet. Because of some of the more outlandish plots many "soap opera purists" found the show terrible and refused to recognize it as a soap opera. Again, people still talking means something! Witches, dolls-come-to-life, closets as portals to hell, zombies, hermaphrodites and more. Passions embraced the outlandishness and never took itself too seriously. However, to say the show lacked heart would be criminal! Just as when it knew to lighten up it also knew when to pour out some gut-wrenching storytelling. What made Passions even greater was the casts chemistry--unlike many other soap casts you could tell that everyone genuinely cared about each other and became almost extended family. Another popular soapy theme in the show was love triangles; popular ones being Gwen-Ethan-Theresa, Kay-Miguel-Charity, several combinations of Beth-Luis-Sheridan or Antonio-Sheridan-Luis and Simone-Chad-Whitney. Sadly in 2007 NBC decided to cancel Passions in favor of an additional hour of the-already-too-long Today Show. JER, true to form, traded some great slams to NBC and the Daytime President too. Thankfully, Passions proved naysayers wrong again and managed to pull a soapy move by coming back from the dead and moving to DirecTV's exclusive 101 Network. Passions managed to pull The 101 it's best ratings ever yet got cancelled once again in August of 2008. Unfortunately there wasn't another save. But JER managed to take some jabs at DirecTV too. If you haven't seen Passions then you are truly missing out on iconic, groundbreaking and entertaining television. Sadly, JER passed away shortly after Passions ended but he left behind an incredible legacy and a TV show that--whether it was being talked about positively or negatively--was nevertheless being talked about even after it's cancellation (if you've seen Family Guy the news anchor Tom Tucker got drunk one newscast and vowed to bring Passions back!). You've gotta see Passions. I promise you that you'll become addicted!

Page 1 of 16:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]