IMDb > "Passions" (1999) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Passions"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Passions" More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 16:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Better than it gets credit for

Author: Karrie from USA
16 September 2003

Passions is pure entertainment. Complete with witches, orangutans, secrets, forbidden loves, great couples (even if they spend way more time apart than they do together), and comedy! There's a lot of funny moments that you just can't help but to laugh out loud over. The cast is superb!

A lot of people complain that it's so unrealistic. But that's what makes it "Passions." It's supposed to be different and a little unrealistic. I mean, how often do you see zombies wreaking havoc, witches casting spells, lovers being reincarnated, and orangutans changing an old lady's diapers in real life? If you're not into the unrealistic stuff and feel the need to complain, just don't watch. The rest of us get it and love it!

So Silly That you Have to go With it

Author: TMC-4
16 August 1999

This is one of those shows that are so inane it just drives you in. Whether it's the simpleminded stories, corny dialog, or often amateurish acting. If the show was intended on playing it for laughs, then maybe what you see on screen would be easier to take.

Silly enough to be fun(ny)

Author: Triple001
8 July 2001

This show IS lame and addictive. And I can't believe so many people feel the same way...it makes me feel sane!

I suppose a majority of people started out watching this with enormous criticism. At first, one would think that: 1. The acting is rather over-done, 2. The dialogue is pretty pathetic, and 3. The storylines perhaps a little predictable and extremely slow (so slow in fact, that you could NOT watch Passions for about a month and still know what's going on).

Personally, I have never been into soaps before, but somehow Passions intrigued me the most. My initial reaction was one of confusion as the show is not your average soap opera. Oh no. Not only does it contain the ordinary conflicts, scheming, scandal and obsessions of certain characters, but it also includes elements of comedy and the supernatural.

Admittedly, Timmy was the main reason why I got interested, as I couldn't figure out whether he was a dwarf/midget or a little boy. As it turned out he was actually a doll, but either way, there was more to Passions than this strange aspect of fascination. Of course you could never leave out the Charity-Miguel-Kay or the Gwen-Ethan-Theresa love triangles. Here, we can witness the stupidity and naivety of Miguel and Ethan as they live their lives totally oblivious to the fact that they are being chased by crazed and obsessed girls who would do anything to win their loves.

Whatever the reason, it is understandable why Passions is not accepted by everyone, but if you give it a chance, at least enjoy it for the laugh factor. It might even keep you begging for more.

Different but OK

Author: Dubs from Philadelphia, PA
5 November 1999

I never watch soap operas. Every time I was home from school and tried to watch one, I was always mystified by the seemingly intricate plots. Besides, soaps seemed aimed at adult women and homemakers.

Not the case with Passions. Before I came back to college, I caught fifteen minutes of one episode and was hooked on what I saw. It wasn't good by conventional standards; the characters weren't deep or intriguing and the acting was relatively mediocre.

Yet the actresses were cute. All of them. And they were all relatively young. The youth factor just seemed like a big break from the typical soap operas I had seen in passing before, and that alone was enough for me to be interested. I disagree with the previous commenter who feels that Passions is for "little ones." I don't think many high schoolers would catch this show on TV, since it plays at 1 PM here, but it could really succeed because it appeals to the niche market of college students, who are willing to watch almost any kind of television. For example, my two housemates now watch Passions with me after they previously mocked me incessantly. The only show we used to watch together on a regular basis was Sportscenter.

The subplots are all fairly interesting, and as others have noted, kind of different than one would expect for a soap. The characters of Timmy and Tabitha are definitely a change. After he first opened his mouth, I wanted to beat up Timmy, or as he would say, "Dubs wants to punch Timmy in the face," but even he has grown on me. I can't wait to catch up with the show tomorrow.

Too slow, but funny.

Author: lockbell from Atlanta, GA
15 February 2003

This show would be so much better if the writing wasn't sooooo repetitive.

Passions is a show that should be taken simply at face value -- don't look beyond the surface...you'll be lost. Yes, it's rediculous and it's meant to be. Part of its charm is that it makes fun of its own genre.

Don't expect Oscar winning performances, although there are a few on this show that can act (unfortunately, they're offset by multitudes who can't), but expect to laugh -- whether it's meant to be funny or not!

Saved by the Commercials

Author: William Wright (wrightw@ionet.net) from Harmony, Maine
10 August 1999

Passions: 40 minutes of Soap-free commercials!

This new daytime drama by former Days of Our Lives creator can't even be christened with the title of "Soap Opera." Perhaps Soap Dispenser is more apt; the more you watch it, the more you wish you could wash your ears, eyes, and throat out with the stuff. Imagine Saved by the Bell, that inane sitcom inspired by the popularity of the equally inane Beverly Hills 90210 from the late 80s, early 90s, minus any drama, any humor, any decent acting, or any clue.

What's worse is that the daily episodes keep getting worse and worse. It started out bad: national TV reviewers gave it a bomb rating it's first day out. But it's only gone down hill. Witness Sheridan Crane and her flashbacks of her "dear friend," Princess Di. Witness Theresa Lopez-Fitzgerald dumping fish guts on 21-year old lawyer, Ethan Crane. Witness pseudo-scary witch Tabatha twirl around in circles to produce, as one character on the show decries, "an insane wind from hell" to drive the entire cast out of a Red Lobster type restaurant.

How is it that I hate this show so much, yet, at the same time, know all of the characters' names? Simply, once you're hooked, you're just like those dead fish that got dumped on Ethan. You can't stop watching this show. You keep watching because you can't understand how it can get worse and worse, every day.

Easily the most insulting, sexist, and horrible shows on TV today (and that, dear friends, is a big, bold statement.) It's all those things and, just incidently, totally entertaining.

I felt Passions needed a positive comment...

Author: fadetodeath from Maryland
9 July 2000

The only review for this show is one and only after it being on for a few days. Yes, I too felt the same way when "Passions" first came on. It was poorly acted, poorly directed, and it seemed so unreal. However as it finally caught my eye to watch the effects have gotten better, as well as the script, the direction, and the acting. And who couldn't fall in love with an adorable life-like doll named Timmy? If you haven't seen the show, go and watch! If you have seen it and disliked it the first time (believe me, I was the same way) go watch it again. You'll understand why it's stayed on for the year that it has.

Also I'd like to say that I think some of Passions more appeal towards the audience is the fact that it has supernatural occurrences going on and most of the cast is rather young! It's what everyone is into these days. The characters might be a little too "goodie-goodie" but why not? Aren't we tired of our generation being depicted as self-centered, enraged, punks? I certainly am! Besides, some of the antics by one of the characters makes some of the teens not completely goodie-goodie. And she definitely feels the criteria of the "love to hate" character on a soap. I'm also addicted to the optimism and enthusiasm of some of the characters. Please, go watch!

Full of laughs

Author: lirpa77 from Canada
15 February 2006

I started watching this when it first came on. It was with a group of us in college who would make sure and put our classes around the time it came on. It is classic soap format! It is goofy and funny, not at all serious. They do try, but it just turns out to be funny. And the men, have I mentioned them...they all have wonderful bodies, and a tradition with Passions is to make sure they have their shirts off at anytime appropriate (or inappropriate)! I, unfortunately, have become addicted, and know it's ridiculous, but still watch. The best part of this show is the love triangles...there is always at least two going at all times. In one case it's Gwen, Ethan, and Teresa. Teresa is almost a stalker when it comes to Ethan, and Ethan has a real passionate love for her, but because of some good lies, Gwen has him. I want Teresa and Ethan to be together, but Gwen is the one whom he is married to...what do you do?? It's these triangles that keep me watching.

What happened?

Author: tamitiafo from United States
15 February 2006

I used to really enjoy this soap when it started out in 1999. The story lines and characters were interesting, intricate and refreshing. But after about 3-4years, the plot just went downhill. The soap was using the exact story lines when it began, the constant same struggles of the truth comes out, oh no it doesn't, and here is comes, and again no it didn't, and it goes on. The dialog and plot is repetitious,there is essentially no development in the characters, they make the same mistakes over and over, and over, they remain in the dimension that they were first portrayed or they become senseless characters the lack any senses. I understand the soaps don't really need to make sense, but certain things like "sitting and standing" shouldn't be too hard to do for people with legs that work. I really still love all the actors and actresses that still put up with such horrible writing. I really hope someone can come in and bring the refreshing and complex writing this soap once possessed.

Oh sweet God, why...

Author: di_Notte from Massachusetts
9 January 2004

...I'll tell you why. This is the perfect soap for anyone who likes Mystery Science Theater. I myself obssess over MST3K, so it fits well with me. My mom got into it after seeing Timmy and Tabitha, and she's one of the most outlandish people I've ever known so of COURSE she's going to get into this. So it's all her fault. Can I ask some really serious questions though? #1- The idea of Teresa's child being taken away. Um, this whole idea just could NOT happen. They'd need more solid proof to not even allow to see this kid, let alone take him away. #2- As in any soap these people are supposedly rich, or have jobs that MAKE them rich. Yet when do we see them working? #3- Back to the idea of Teresa... she loves her kid to death right? Then why have her mom, Pilar, watch him for two straight months (or was it 3?) while gallavanting in LA? Okay, I digress; this storyline was supposedly like what, a week? But it TOOK two or three months to get the point across. Which leads straight into #4... #4- Do we REALLY NEED 2-3 months to see if Teresa and Ethan KISS or not??? Come the flip ON. Let's get this moving. By the time the whole Sheridan getting her baby back storyline concludes, the "baby" will have to be technically 15 years old. #5- Luis beats up a doctor, two orderlies, and Antonio all in one day at the psych ward, and he wasn't taken to jail with huge amounts of bail?? No matter the soap ridiculousness, that was just... ridiculous. #6- On a slightly serious note, at least with the whole Sheridan&Luis/Antonio&Beth storyline, as crazed as Beth is, was it not just mean for Luis to just DUMP her butt when Sheridan came back? And as much as this kid was kidnapped, he doesn't know that and is giving her the shaft completely. Same kinda thing with everyone on the show who has a baby right now... which is just about EVERYBODY at this point. Kinda teaches guys that it's okay to fall for other chicks, or dump the ones you have and not pay attention to your baby. Nevermind the girl. Like that scene with Kay, Charity, and whatshisname (can't remember suddenly): "Oh, the hospital called! We can take our baby home! Why don't you go home and put the crib together?" "But me and Charity have plans to go skating," Uh-huh. #7- This is just a stupid point, but I've just NOTICED it... the fact that Charity (who is just too darn goody goody for my taste) WON'T STOP LEANING FORWARD AND LOOKING ALL "HO-HUM", PUTTING HER HANDS IN HER POCKETS AND ROCKING BACK AND FORTH ON HER FEET. It's SUCH a stupid pointless point, but I find it annoying anyways. #8- Does anyone honestly stand around, saying out loud "I WILL get your husband. Even if I have to kill your son and mother-in-law to do so. I just need my uncle to return from the Cayman Islands. But just you wait." when someone leaves the room... and do you not only do it that one time, but say the SAME darn phrase everytime you feel like it???

I could go on. But I really should assess why I'm even posting all this, lol... I guess it just amuses me. This show *can* be fun even with all the horrid flaws and completely ridiculous acting. Me and my mom just make fun of it, but we tune in nonetheless. It's just... well, it's 'just'.

Page 1 of 16:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]