IMDb > "Busting Loose" (1977) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"Busting Loose" More at IMDbPro »

Schmo sitcom

Author: budikavlan from Irving, TX
8 October 2002

This was the story of an affable young single guy who moves into his own low-rent apartment away from his overprotective parents and gets a lousy job, "busting loose" into his own (adult) life. His parents, boisterous friends, coworkers, and a beautiful neighbor were also in the cast. A lot of the appeal of the show depended on the personal charm of Adam Arkin; he's a likable guy, but his personality is rather low-key to carry a sitcom by himself. Without another source of "oomph," this ended up lasting about a season and a half.

I Remember This Show

Author: richard.fuller1
11 August 2011

It came along at a time of no significance. What was its purpose? This was the first time I would see Adam Arkin and Barbara Rhoades. No, they had no chemistry. What I remember most (and I didn't watch much of this show) was Arkin just seemed to whine a lot, pretty much attempting to be funny.

Two years after Welcome Back Kotter introduced ethnic characters of Barbarino, Epstein and Horshack, this show came up with Markowitz, Morabito, Washaw. Maybe supposed to have been a grown up set? And after Happy Days & Laverne and Shirley gave us Fonzarelli, DeFazio and Feeny, as well.

Ironic that Pat Carroll likewise portrayed Shirley's mother on Laverne and Shirley.

As the other poster said, there was no chemistry, no clicking between any of the characters. Later I would see Arkin on Teacher's Only and there was still no spark.

He did do well as 'Adam' on Northern Exposure. Maybe that was aloof enough to reach Arkin's delivery.