IMDb > The Little Vampire (2000) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Little Vampire

The Little Vampire More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]

Witty, well-acted kids flick that parents will enjoy as well.

Author: Laurie from Hawaii
23 September 2002

A very winning cast, great location, superb kids' story to work with, good production make for some campy scariness for kids with entertainment for mom and dad as well. Charming little movie that appeals to the kid in all of us.The predicament of the cows really did make me laugh out loud.

The acting by one and all was excellent, especially Richard E. Grant as the head of the vampire family. He brought a non-threatening, yet nerve wracking (well, for kids, anyway) presence to the movie. His charming powers over Mrs. Thompson were hysterical, and the entire cast did very well with this movie.

One for the kids that mom and dad will enjoy sitting through, which is a rarity anymore, except for the likes of Shrek.

Oh, and I can't omit Rollo Weeks, as The Little Vampire himself. He was so charming, so perfectly nailed the role of Rudolph. As well as the role for arguably the cutest kid in movies, Jonathan Lipnicki, as Tony Thompson. The crush Anna had on him was acted out adorably by Anna Popplewell, as well. There was just great acting all around in The Little Vampire.

A job well done by all involved. This will make my list of movies to purchase just to share with my grandkids that someday I'll have to spoil. Campy, scary enough for the little ones and entertaining for their parents. What's not to like?

Couldn't help enjoying it

Author: Michael Satterwhite from Pasadena, TX
2 April 2001

First, let me say that I was determined to dislike this film. Premise seemed childish, obviously aimed at children (and I ceased being one of those *MANY* years ago). Despite my best efforts, I found that I really liked this film. It's certainly not "Gone With the Wind", but it's good entertainment and definitely worth a viewing. At the end, I found myself feeling good about it, which is refreshing today. Even better, it gave me an evening's entertainment without profanity, sex or senseless violence. Lipnicky is (as always) cute and charming. I'd like to see more of Weeks on screen, but don't know if that's feasible as he's a British kid actor.

Don't expect a deep message - it's not there. For a delightful evening's entertainment (with the ENTIRE family!) it's highly recommended. Just sit back and enjoy!

A fantastic film with great costumes and fab special effects

Author: (vampire@apopplewell.fsnet.co.uk) from London, England
4 September 2000

The little vampire is a thrilling story as a book and it makes a magical film. The script was full of witty jokes if you approached it with the right attitude. My name is Anna Popplewell and I appeared in the film as 'Anna' so it is no wonder I rate it well. My brother and sister (5) and (9) both loved it and so did an audience full of children at the test screening. It is true that children above 12 may find it a little babyish. There is magic the whole way through the film, not only as the friendship is formed, but also when it is tested. Any child who didn't enjoy this film should watch a little more closely

Cute and Witty Magical Fun!

Author: Nicole Lugo (Boombooms2003@aol.com) from Garfield, New Jersey
9 August 2002

When I first saw the movie, I thought it was the cutest thing. I'm 17 years old and I'm not ashamed to say that I really like this movie. It had a cool plot that made it not so much of a kid movie. And it really shows you can make friends in even the weirdest conditions. Movies like this, allows you to sit back and forget about the stress of everyday and you can let the little kid inside you take over full of imagination and amazement. Really this is an excellent movie who need to escape without really escaping!

Comedy, Drama, Exquisite Costumes, Funny

Author: BHorrorWriter from Ohio, USA
15 October 2001

Just a few words that come to mind when describing The Little Vampire.

This film is beautifully shot and at times looks like a Tim Burton film with the Blue filter over the screen. The costumes: Simply exquisite....they looked excellent.....nice Halloween costumes?!?!?!

Rollo Weeks, in his break through film Debut, gives and exception performance as Rudolph, the Little Vampire...He is a clever, young boy with excellent acting skills.

Lipnicki, of course is too cute, and shines and Tony the young boy with a heart for Vampires.

The Scenery in this film actually steals the show...Beautiful landscapes, rolling hills, lush greens.....breath-taking...

As an adult, I found this film funny, dramatic, and a good time for the whole family....

8 out of 10

Charming, slightly silly, slightly serious, good fun

Author: ohbother from Palm Springs, CA
17 November 2000

The Little Vampire is a delightful film about a little boy from America, Tony, who is teased and picked on at his new school in Scotland by the local laird's obnoxiously arrogant grandsons. He meets and befriends Rudolph, the youngest son of a family of charming vampires, who are trying to save themselves from Rookery, a vicious and unscrupulous vampire killer. It is rated PG for some mild peril, to which I would add that very young children would need to have some of the life and death issues explained. Both my sons, ages 11 and 6, just loved the movie -- enough that my six year old wanted to see it again, and I didn't mind taking him. The lessons my kids learned were mostly about friends coming in a variety of shapes and sizes, and the value of loyalty and dedication to a cause. There are enough plot twists and turns to keep you on the edge of your seat (at least the first viewing!), and although some of the dialogue is banal and predictable, some of it is deliciously witty. Last but not least, the costuming and special effects are wonderfully well done, and go a long way to making even some of the silly scenes very impressive. All in all, I would recommend it highly (to anyone who doesn't have trouble with the notion that vampires are not minions of Satan) as good, clean, amusing fun.

Great Movie for all ages

Author: dig from Utah, USA
15 October 2002

wow, This has to be the best kick back and enjoyed movie I have seen in a long long time. Being a 66 year old (tough Guy), I find most kids movies not to my liking. But this movie had me engrossed in the entire film.

It was pure enjoyment to watch the movie and I recommend it to every one regardless of age.

The wife goes along with me in my feelings about the pleasure of watching this movie. So people for sure rent it and if you have babies, buy it so when they are a little older they will be able to enjoy watching it as we did.

A throwback to quality fantasy films of the 80's.

Author: Queer-qatfm from Atlanta, GA
29 October 2000

Back in the 80's, making Childrens Films was eaiser. There was no need for hypnotic techno background beats. Directors didn't include glitzy light shows whenever good and evil fought, Pokemon-style. Some of the best fantasy films come from the 80s and featured bad acting, horrible continuity, and rather icky special effects and cinamatography as a whole.

"The Little Vampire" which stars mostly Jonathan Lipnicki, but also his little fanged friend Rollo Weeks, looks 10-20 years old but it actually a new release by New Line Cinema. And while for many this sounds like the ultimate rip of the dark children's fantasy based on some pretty famous books (at least in Europe), in actuality I think it's this that gives the film class.

I cringe every time Jonathan's character says "dude" and cringe harder when Rollo lays out the vampric lore dribble on why they don't bite humans. (They dine on cows.) But it becomes harder and harder to dislike someone so charming as either boy as the chase for the medallion continues.

The medallion is most of the time gaurded by Rookery who may be one of the most complete characters in the film. From the moment one sees his vampire hunting contraption looking like something from either "Mad Max" or "Tremors," those who are not children in the audience know this isn't going to be your typical kid's flick. The dark, creepyness continues throughout it's length, and someone in Oscar town might want to think on giving some nods for costume and art direction. Nothing beats the expressions on Rollo Weeks' face when he takes Lipnicki for their flights.

Alas, the film lags and is generally one big chase. The vampires want the amulet, the vampire hunter wants the vampires, and Jonathan's parents just want thier son to be normal. A tricky thing a dark movie appropriate for children is. If they had added more action, it wouldn't have worked. And in my opinion, even with the scares present, it probably only worked half way.

But the attempt looks sooo good.

The Little Vampire: B

A lovely movie for children

Author: Melinda from Toronto, Ontario
6 October 2002

I loved this movie. I'm a sucker for movies that remind me of my younger years, and this is definitely one of them (well, seeing as it's made for kids, that's hardly surprising). The plot was good, the bad guy wasn't scary enough to give younger kids nightmares, but unlikable enough for the slightly older children not the care that he ISN'T too frightening. Wonderful costumes too.

Did anyone notice the last name of the Vampires? Sackville-Bagg? It's freakishly close to that of the Sackville-Bagginses from Lord of the Rings...

enjoyable gothic kids movie

Author: Kat Weller from London, UK
2 April 2001

Since I was a child, I have had an obsession with all things vampires. Looking back now I wonder how much influence the 80's Little Vampire series had on me. I might be well over the 'suggested' age group for this movie but I couldn't wait to see it at the cinema and I wasn't disappointed at all!

The Little Vampire is funny, with a great plot and well acted. Being also an obsessive Buffy the Vampire Slayer fan, I found the movie a refreshing alternative to gothic vampire style horror films which are currently plaguing the TV and movie industry at the moment. I can't honestly say how much a child may enjoy this film but if you have a spare nephew, niece or grandchild, borrow one and rent the film. I am just about to order my DVD copy of the Little Vampire tonight to join my collection of other vampire movies - Interview with the Vampire, Lost Boys, Dracula etc!

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]