IMDb > Jorge (1998) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Jorge More at IMDbPro »

I saw this one because Joel Hopkins follow-up film is so good.

Author: MartinHafer from Bradenton, Florida
31 March 2017

In 2001, Joel Hopkins made a very charming, offbeat film "Jump Tomorrow". I loved the picture and when I saw that it was based on a prior short film, I knew I had to see it. Sadly, I forgot about this and a decade later I finally got around to seeing "Jorge". Like "Jump Tomorrow", this one stars Tunde Adebimpe as George and the same kernel of a story is there...though the film is VERY different from "Jump Tomorrow" and I recommend you see them both.

George is a very shy and awkward guy. One day on the way to work he meets a pretty young lady when she notices a ladybug* crawling and pulls it off. When he arrives at work, he's surprised to see this same lady...she's the new temp. And, through the course of the short film, George longs for this lady but because of his shyness you wonder if he'll EVER get around to asking her out on a date!

This is enjoyable and well handled...but "Jump Tomorrow" is even better. See them both...especially as I love Adebimpe's performance. Very likable...both him and the film.

*Whoever wrote the summary on IMDb must be British, as they called the insect a 'ladybird'...and Americans call it a 'ladybug' instead.

The second best short film ever.

Author: shaft98020 from Mission, Texas
22 August 2001

Absolutely perfect in every way, every man, woman, and child needs to see this film. From the beautiful people at NYU comes a tale of love, loss, frustration, and hope which is more poetic and moving than almost any feature produced by the "industry" in Hollywood.

A genuinely sincere love story

Author: HaVoK22 from Los Angeles
26 July 2000

Maybe the reason I care for this short so much is that I can relate so much with the main character, Jorge, whose lack of friends and lovers is due to his severe shyness and clumsiness. When he finds someone he really does care for he learns spanish to impress her, but with no real intention of using it. Jorge is a really likeable character, and the object of his affection, Alicia is beautiful, and sweet. If you ever get a chance to watch it I ask that you do.

Great short film about finding a genuine escape from a "shyness issue."

Author: Curtis Meyer (curtism) from Mankato, MN
2 April 2000

Trying to be yourself at the office is a no-no. You must be a drone and you must keep your intentions and opinions to yourself, especially around the boss. Fate has given Jorge a chance at romance, and he must decide to overcome not only his meekness, but challenge the unspoken rules of the workplace hierarchy. His unconscious pushes Jorge to lash out, but it takes the harsh, clear feeling of loss to transcend the phony obligation he feels to be something he isn't.

A wonderful short film that I recommend to everyone.

More charming a romance than found in features

Author: MrLankyD (MrLankyD@hotmail.com)
28 January 2002

I caught this gem on IFC (back when I had it) and fell in love with it, though I didn't get the name. It was later made into a full length feature with only the same male lead and a different actress playing Alicia. The feature remake is called "Jump Tomorrow", and it loses all the magical charm that this little treasure has here. This is a film about innocence and love, and I loved every second of it. I will buy Jump Tomorrow in all of its spectacular mediocrity if it has "Gorge" on the disc, because this little film is worth the twenty bucks.