IMDb > The Jetsons Meet the Flintstones (1987) (TV) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

The Jetsons Meet the Flintstones (TV) More at IMDbPro »

great

Author: OzzyCash from Nashville, Tennessee
7 August 2000

Jetsons meet the Flintstones is one of the greatest cartoon movies of all time. It's just as funny as both cartoon series and is a great movie to have both families. I love this movie and could watch it a million times I don't see how anybody who likes either cartoons could not enjoy this movie. Elroy invents a time machine which switches the families in each others time generation you must see this movie it's very entertaining

You could see it coming

Author: Op_Prime from Ardmore, PA
16 March 2000

What were the odds that a special, uniting these two families, would not be made? In my opinion, I find it hard to believe no one could see it coming. This was pretty good, but had some faults. The story left something to be desired and animation wasn't as good as the tv shows'. But this was able to capture the charm and humor of the Jetsons and Flintstones. Highly recommended.

Culture shock!

Author: OWUbear
31 March 2001

In this movie, two great Hanna-Barbera families are thrown together when Elroy Jetson accidently time warps his family to the Stone Age. Personally, I like George Jetson. He's funny, so it's easy for me to feel for him when he puts up with Mr. Spacely and the time warp. Mel Blanc can also prove he's capable of playing selfish people, but Mr. Spacely wasn't his best performance. I like Dino better.

A great host of voice actors!!

Author: Jjmak2004 from United States
7 June 2005

I own this video and i've seen it on TV many times. The movie pretty much combines the stone age Flintstones with the space age Jetsons. The voice work in this movie contains some the last major performances for the top two voice actors in my opinion. Daws Butler, who gave voice to Elroy Jetson, Henry Orbit, and Cogswell Cog, passed away in 1988...a year after this movie was completed. Mel Blanc, who gave voice to Barney Rubble, Dino, and Mr Spacely, passed away in 1989. The rest of the cast lived on through much of the 1990s with Henry Corden {voice of Fred Flintstone} passing away just recently. I won't give away the crux of the movie but i will say i enjoy watching the movie very much. No matter how many times i've seen it, those VOICES and the people who gave life to these characters make the movie a joy each and every viewing...Don Messick's vocals are amazing in this movie. He is the voice behind Astro, Mac, and the quivering computer named RUDI plus he gave voice to other nameless roles. The one and only John Stephenson was on hand as Mr Slate. Penny Singleton was Jane Jetson; George O'Hanlon was George Jetson; and Janet Waldo was Judy Jetson. Jean Vanderpyl was also on hand as Wilma Flintstone, Rosie the Robot, and Judy's talking diary. I give this 9 out of 10 stars because of the sub-plot of Judy falling in love with the stone-age rock singer. I didn't enjoy that aspect of the movie very much. All in all, this is a great cartoon...family friendly, too, and a wonderful spotlight on some legendary voice actors.

The Most Infamous, As Well As Predictable, Cartoon Cross-Over in History!

Author: (robocoptng986127@aol.com) from U.S.A
6 February 2003

[CONTAINS SPOILERS]

One morning in the Space Age, George Jetson is awakened by his automated alarm clock while back in the Stone Age, Fred Flintstone is awakened by his primative alarm clock as well as Dino. Wilma and Betty wanted Fred and Barney to take them on vacation to Honolurock, but Fred was wise to their ways and pretended to ignore their signs, such as wearing grass skirts and playing uekeles. Meanwhile in the Space Age, Mr. Spacely chastises George for coming in late then tells him there's a leak in the company that's dispensing secret information to Cogswell. Spacely blamed George then told him to find out who it was or be fired. George finds out it's RUDI, his computer companion, telling his girlfriend, Cogswell's female computer, everything. Back in the Stone Age, Fred plans to take the girls on an even better vacation for more money. He planned to participate in the poker game at the Water Buffalo Lodge that night, but unfortunately Mr. Slate told Fred and Barney to work late that night. However, Fred had a plan. He and Barney left work, bought some disguises and got in the game and it went well, but thanks to Fred's overconfidence and Barney's bungling, not only did they lose all their money, but they lost their jobs; George was distraught over this situation with RUDI. Judy was also distraught over a break up with her boyfriend. George and Jane wonder if other families go through this; Fred and Barney blindfold Wilma and Betty and take them to a semi-fancy vacation in the middle of nowhere. Once there, they chastise their husbands.

Elroy has constructed a time machine. George, Jane and Judy don't believe it works but agree to play along when Elroy suggests transporting them further into the future. Astro comes along, but accidentally sets the switch to Past. In a flash of light, the Jetsons disappear and reappear in the Stone Age. Fred, Barney, Wilma and Betty come face to face with them and at first they are afraid of one another, but soon become friends. Fred is amazed at Elroy's Expand-O-Matic bag that was full of futuristic gadgets like anti-gravity boots, a jet pack and a remote control dog caller. Fred knew they'd come in handy at the company picnic the next day where Mr. Slate would compete with Turk Tarpit. Slate never won. So the Flintstones dress the Jetsons in Stone Age clothes and while Judy falls in love with bandleader Iggy, Fred, Barney and George go to help Slate...For a price: raises, vice president, even a partnership! Thanks to Dino and Astro, Slate lost the final competition, making Tarpit the winner again. Slate refired Fred and Barney. The Jetsons were ready to go home, but before they do, they take a picture of Fred, Barney, Wilma and Betty by the time machine when suddenly it flashes and they disappear! They then reappear in the Jetsons' apartment where Rosie the robot and Henry Orbit were working on a Time Machine Retriever. When Mr. Spacely finds them, he makes Fred his spokesman, but thanks to RUDI, Cogswell found out and made Barney his spokesman so everybody went to Cogswell for business. Spacely was distraught and Fred got angry with Barney.

The Jetsons soon grew accustomed to their new lifestyles. George got a partnership with Slate and the money instantly came rolling in. They bought half of downtown Bedrock! But misfortune soon reared it's ugly head and the Jetsons gave up their new posessions and drove out of town in the Flintmobile. Back to the future, Rosie gets the time machine working and goes back to find the Jetsons. She does and they all leave for the future together. Spacely sees the Flintmobile and instantly markets them, finally beating Cogswell so things were really looking up, until Elroy informs everyone that the time machine is busted way beyond repair. Fred, Barney (who just made up), Wilma and Betty would be trapped a million years from home...Until they hopped in the Flintmobile which glowed and then vanished returning them to their home. The Jetsons wave goodbye.

After twenty years, it was nice to see the Flinstones and the Jetsons meet one another. It was bound to happen sooner or later. Cartoon crossovers are always a good idea. In some cases, sometimes it's a good idea. In an episode of the Flinstones, Fred, Barney, Wilma and Betty were transported to the Space Age, c/o The Great Gazoo! So it shouldn't seem so strange to them. Also I'm wondering, where are Pebbles and Bamm-Bamm? I guess this happened before they were born; Was followed by Rockin' With Judy Jetson in which Judy tries to rescue her rock star boyfriend from a music-hating witch. I've seen snippets of it on TV but one day I will sit down and watch it all. If it reairs. But anyway, if you're a fan of the Flinstones or the Jetsons or both, then by all means, check out The Jetsons Meet the Flinstones! You'll have a Yabba-Dabba-Ooba-Dooba-Doo ol' Time!

if past and future really could meet...

Author: Lee Eisenberg (lee.eisenberg.pdx@gmail.com) from Portland, Oregon, USA
11 November 2005

Prehistory and the space age finally come face to face in this cartoon, as Elroy Jetson's time machine takes the family back to the stone age, where they meet the Flintstones. Then, lo and behold, the Flinstones accidentally get sent to the future, leaving the Jetsons in the past. As anyone might expect, both families have a hard time trying to cope with these new environments. "The Jetsons Meet the Flintstones" is pretty interesting. Granted, it's mostly intended for children, but I would suspect that practically anyone could like it. And overall, seeing what both families experience makes one content to stay in the present, even if the present isn't perfect. A real treat.

Mixed feelings

Author: Henry A. Stephens (henricus@bellsouth.net) from Vero Beach, FL
23 September 2001

The publicity all says, "Elroy invents a time machine...." But in reality there is time for two separate Jetson and Flintstone plots to develop before Elroy starts tinkering. Jetson faces a job loss because of a security leak at Spacely Sprockets, while Flintstone IS fired because he skips work on an overtime assignment.

So there is a reason for this plot, which I didn't expect. Bravo.

But some things bugged me. Both shows were satires of our society, but in different ways.

The Flintstones worked because, ha-ha, we knew they REALLY didn't have all those "modern" conveniences and heavy equipment made from animal labor. They really didn't wear tattered versions of our American clothes. And they didn't have TVs made from rock or newspapers made from slate. But it was funny to see them use their available resources to look like us. That was the fun of it.

The Jetsons worked because, ha-ha, we knew we MIGHT have those machines one day. It took our 1960s "modern" conveniences into the future and made them even more so. Jet-propelled grocery carts, automatic tooth-brushers, honeymoons on the real moon. Machines and robots did everything. And it was funny to watch people with more resources look like us.

But I find it hard to mix them. They both ask for different suspensions of disbelief. The Jetsons asks us to accept that we will become so dependent on our machines that we can't even get dressed without them. The Flintstones asks us to accept that we were once doing well enough with rocks and animals. George Jetson might exist one day. Fred Flintstone, however, never did. Maybe there were extroverted, opportunistic cavemen back at the campfires, but no rock televisions. So the Jetson pokes fun at future possibilities, while the Flintstones pokes fun at past impossibilities.

(Spoiler warning) Check this: Rosie at one time uses the time machine to go back into the past to rescue the Jetsons from Bedrock. But she first stops in medieval England, where two jousting knights are on ... horseback, the way knights REALLY fought. But hey, if the Flintstones already had cars, why are the knights reduced to horses?

Really, if the Flintstones were that advanced in Bedrock, what happened? Why the decline?

I mean, by the time of the Roman Holidays cartoon series, we saw that Fred's foot-powered car had developed into Gus Holiday's roadster with actual horses under the hood. What led to the decline next?

I never asked that while watching the Flintstones, but throwing the Jetsons into the same movie brings this question.

Yeah, yeah, I know. It's only a cartoon....

Good one!

Author: Movie Nuttball from U.S.A.
12 July 2005

I thought that the characters were really funny and all had great personalities. The animation in My opinion was crisp, clean, and really clear. Not to mention beautiful! Most of the characters in this show are like the hilarious Looney Tunes characters that we all love. in My opinion these characters are the funnies and talented ever seen. In fact, The things that goes on in this series' cartoons are in My opinion nuts which that is what makes them hilarious! There are so many to like and laugh at and the silly things they do! If you like the original Looney Tunes and animated films then I strongly recommend that you watch this movie today!

fun movie, for kids

Author: Ashley (ShortCuteBlonde) from USA
1 November 2002

when i was like 6 or 7 i watched it and yeah i liked it, a lot, it was a good movie and a perfect re make of the cartoon, but i watched it a few weeks ago, im 14 now, with my little brother and it just seems way out dated, they either should have made it come out back in the 70's or the 80's or not made it at all. 4/10