IMDb > Head Over Heels (2001) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Head Over Heels

Head Over Heels More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 11:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Cute movie, for someone in the mood for slapstick, physical comedy.

Author: TxMike from Houston, Tx, USA, Earth
25 December 2002

I predicted the "critics" would review this film poorly, and I was right. If I were a professional (paid) critic, I'd feel obligated too. But as a fun film to watch for sheer entertainment, my wife and I thought it was a hoot. The plot isn't terribly important, but it involves an FBI agent (Prinze) trying to solve a diamond smuggling crime ring while falling for a pretty art restorer (Potter). It would be a very straight and un-funny film without the four models!!

Potter's character needs a new place when she finds her boyfriend cheating on her, so finds what amounts to a large closet with a window for rent at $500 a month ("cash, please, if you can") in a luxury apartment that is given to four models. They like to rent out the "extra room" for a little spending money. But these models are funny, say the darndest things, fall over things, into things, and generally make the slapstick part of the film work. Along with a Great Dane that runs and knocks Potter down every time he sees her - except the last time!

None of the acting is great, but it is all OK. The dialog is snappy and funny most of the time. Film fans who enjoy "Dumb and Dumber", "Happy Gilmore", and "High Heels and Low Lifes" would probably also enjoy "Head Over Heels." I rate it "7" of 10 for sheer fun.

..you can't help but laugh.

Author: qball_82
20 June 2001

I knew absolutely nothing about this film when I walked in except that it starred Freddie Prinze Jr., and I wasn't really looking forward to it. I'm happy to say that it was a pretty entertaining film and I have seen much much worse...

There are some genuinely funny parts and the "stereotypical" models provided the most laughs. It shares a lot in common with Miss Congeniality in how the pretty girls are depicted as ditzy and just all-out stupid...obviously it's not supposed to be a realistic portrayal, but you can't help but laugh.

A lot of people seem to be paying this movie out big time, I just wanted to add a positive comment. It's fluff, expect nothing more.

Incredibly funny if not taken too seriously

Author: Mirax from Boston
11 August 2001

I'll admit it: it's utterly embarrassing to watch this movie with another human being. I was embarrassed when I laughed uncontrollably at things numerous reviews had told me were idiotic humor. Well, this movie is idiotic. It's also adorable romantic comedy, with a funny and somewhat original premise . . . at least, it's cobbled together from original premises, like the "Rear Window" setup where Amanda thinks she witnesses her obsession across the street, Jim, murdering someone. Freddie Prinze Jr is completely irresistible, and Monica Potter's somewhat one-note nice-girl cuteness is made palatable by the insanity of her four supermodel roommates and her practical lesbian friend. Watch this, laugh hard and don't be embarrassed, because this movie, even at its most poorly scripted moments, is earnestly trying to make you laugh, unlike most of today's prefab romantic comedies, whose earnestness is sheer manipulation. Plus, only a small percentage of those have Freddie in them.

Stereotypical and silly, but still in all good fun

Author: Kristine (kristinedrama14@msn.com) from Chicago, Illinois
1 March 2006

Oh, come on, people, was it really that irritating to you? Now, I admit, in no way is this movie Oscar material or the best movie of 2001, but learn to have a little fun. Are you really telling me that you couldn't laugh at the models? They took the movie and made it into a fun ditzy comedy. Basically, it's incredibly predictable, but Freddie Prinze, Jr. is a "fashion" business man who falls for Monica and she does as well. But as she states that she has bad judgment of men, there is a terrible thing she witnesses in an apartment with her "model" roommates and see him commit a murder! Together they investigate to find out if she is going to have a murderer boyfriend or live happily ever after, you make the guess.

Help, I'm drowning in bad dialogue!!!

Author: ukchemee from Here and now
4 March 2001

The title says it all. I felt like crying out in the movie theater, "Help, help - I'm drowning in bad dialogue". Whoever penned the script should be ashamed of themselves. The directing was something out of a middle school play. I really wish I were kidding here. While the two leads MAY have an ounce of skill, the directing quashed it altogether. The rest of the actors... well, let's just hope they didn't quit their day jobs for Hollywood. It scares me that people pay money to see movies like this repeatedly. Anyone who enjoyed this movie needs to seriously re-evaluate their tastes. For a better time, sit in the movie theater lobby and listen to other people's conversations. At least you'll get some decent dialogue.

Heartwarming, hilarious, romantic, and touching romantic comedy

Author: Grace Zeh (filmgirlgz@gmail.com) from Chantilly, Virginia, USA
19 January 2006

HEAD OVER HEELS, in my opinion, is a heartwarming, hilarious, romantic, and touching romantic comedy. If you ask me, the way that Jim (Freddie Prinze Jr.) and Amanda (Monica Potter) met was pure magic. This was because they were walking along and minding their own business. Plus, it was love at first sight. A lot of people have said that this is one of the worst movies they've ever seen, but I strongly disagree. This is a great movie with terrific performances from very talented actors and actresses. Before I wrap this up, I'd like to say, "This is a perfect movie to see with the one you love!" Now, in conclusion, to all you Freddie Prinze Jr. or Monica Potter fans that have not seen this heart-warming, hilarious, romantic, and touching romantic comedy, I highly recommend it! When you see it, prepare to laugh and have a good time.

romantic comedy,screwball comedy,farce,all rolled into one

Author: disdressed12 from Canada
14 November 2007

this is one of the better romantic comedies i've seen in a while.for one thing,it has quite a few laughs.but i think that's because it's also a farce and a screwball comedy.i liked the slapstick scenes they threw in.i thought they were very effective.the dialogue in the movie is also great.there are some very witty scenes.it's also a mystery movie of sorts.Monica Potter and Freddie Prinze Jr.play the two leads in the film.both are instantly likable,(at least in this movie,at any rate)as are their characters.i don't feel this is your standard romantic comedy.it has other dimensions to it,which you'll notice when you watch it.i expected the movie to be average,mildly amusing fluff,but i'm glad i was wrong.there are a few moments where it is a bit slow,but for the most part,things flow along at a decent enough pace.for me,Head over Heels is a 7/10.

I'm not saying only women should write rom-coms, but....

Author: MBunge from Waterloo, Iowa
27 December 2011

According to the credits, 4 men were responsible for this story and one of them teamed with another guy to write the script. Add in the director and at least 6 dudes had a hand in crafting this very female-centric film. How do you think that worked out? There are plenty of examples of one man with a singular vision writing a great story about women. Even two fellows combining their talents to spin a yarn about the fairer sex is somewhat common. But when 12 testicles try to create a romantic-comedy with half a dozen significant female characters and a leading man who's barely more than eye candy, the result has all the tenderness of an assembly line and as much charm as a baseball player scratching his crotch.

You can forgive the conceit that Monica Potter is playing an average woman who moves in with 4 fashion models. I mean, this is Hollywood so a standout beauty like Potter is as close to average as their tiny brains can come. You can even forgive the models being played as the sympathetic cheering section for Potter's character, even though they're portrayed as stupid, shallow and materialistic. Though inappropriate for their role, that's far more personality than "best friend" characters usually get in rom-coms. What you can't forgive is how Head Over Heels is clearly broken up into three sections that are practically different genres.

It starts out with 30 minutes that includes almost every rom-com cliché, including the woman walking in on her cheating boyfriend, a makeover musical montage and a romantic misunderstanding. That segues into a half hour parody of "women in peril" flicks, though somewhat in reverse. Here, the woman sees the guy kill someone and then falls in love with him. Everything wraps up with 30 minutes of action-comedy involving international smuggling, fisticuffs at a fashion show and a cunnilingus sight gag. Not a brief one, either. The bit goes on for the better part of 30 seconds in a PG-13 film. That must have been a proud day for the motion picture ratings board.

Amanda (Monica Potter) is an art restorer with terrible judgment about men. When she catches her latest boyfriend cheating on her, she needs a new place to stay and gets taken in by 4 models (Shalom Harlow, Ivana Milicevic, Sarah O'Hare and Tomiko Fraser). Amanda is weak kneed at the sight of a handsome stranger (Freddie Prinze Jr.) who turns out to live in the building across the way, his apartment positioned just so Amanda can see in his windows any time she wants. At first she thinks he's a dreamboat, then Amanda remembers her awful luck with guys and looks for a flaw. He turns out to really be a dreamboat, then Amanda sees him beat some girl to death with a baseball bat. Her horror at that lasts less than 10 minutes and she's back mooning over him, only to eventually discover he has a big secret, just not any one she suspected.

The bottom line on Head Over Heels is that it's badly written in exactly the way you'd expect when 5 or 6 chaps each stick their paws into a romantic-comedy stew. Here's a good example of what I mean. Amanda spends virtually all of the film in the company of the 4 models. They are her support system, her humorous foils and plot devices upon which a lot of the movie depends. Except, when Amanda is introduced to the audience she already has a best friend at her art restoration job, a friend which is then dispensed with so Amanda and the models can team up. Her original best friend is absent for at least 90% of the film and brought back at the end for a couple of jokes. So, why was the original best friend kept in the script? It's the same reason why the story shifts through three different genres. With so many separate creative voices, especially male ones, a single narrative vision could never emerge.

Monica Potter is adorable, Freddie Prinze Jr. is generically handsome and Head Over Heels at least makes consistent attempts at being funny. A lot of those attempts are old hat and some are oddly crude, but a few laughs make it through. Yes, the characters are all morons and you don't actually care what happens to them. Reasonably appealing stars and an honest effort to entertain can sometimes be enough, however, and that might have been true here. The tripartite fiasco of the plot is what ultimately dooms this motion picture.

This isn't as annoying as most bad rom-coms. That's not enough to make it worth anyone's time.

A average romantic comedy with delightful twists and turns

Author: buffsterwahoo
21 February 2006

This movie is a sweet romantic comedy that keeps u guessing all the way through.It has charm as well as many other things.It's an average romantic comedy that adds 4 models a one rude,one dumb as dirt,one that actually acts like a normal person,and one that's obsessed with diamonds.A girl Amanda moves in with and when everyones out of the room she thinks she sees a neighbor she likes killed someone.Her roommates and her go through all kinds of obstacles trying to find out if the neighbor killed someone or not. I loved this movie like I said before it's charming as well as funny. I recommend this to Freddie Prinze Jr. fans. Also to people who enjoy a good laugh.

Good solid comedy

Author: jerzeygrl from Washington, DC
31 January 2001

Freddie Prinze Jr. & Monica Potter play "normal" people falling in love, amidst NYC's fashion scene. He's a fashion consultant & her new roommates are 4 up-and-coming models. Yes it's definitely a chick flick, but the movie is actually VERY funny. The models: Shalom, Sara, Ivana, & Tomiko play it way over the top and it works. I laughed out loud so many times, the people behind me kicked my seat... Freddie Prinze Jr. redeems himself, you don't catch him acting in this. I'd see it again in a minute!!

Page 1 of 11:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]