IMDb > Get Over It (2001) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Get Over It

Get Over It More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 18:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Yes, it is a teen flick.

Author: EnyoStrider from Michigan
2 September 2004

Out of the many, many teen flicks out there today, I find this one my favorite of them all. It stands above the rest mainly because it does not take itself seriously. In the first, oh, five minutes of the film you have: 1) A guy being sucked into a vortex when his girlfriend breaks up with him and 2) A full-on song and dance number. Yes, this movie is stupid, and it knows it.

I find the first, oh two-thirds of the movie to be amusing, but nothing really special. The last third of the movie is where the film really picks up pace and made me fall in love with it. The school play is surprisingly true to real life (at least how theatre was at my school) and the song/dance numbers are priceless. I often find myself fast-forwarding to these scenes when I don't have the time to watch the whole thing.

Good movie for when you want to shut off your brain and just enjoy mindless entertainment.

It's fun to be a fairy!

Author: flemily snow from United Kingdom
23 June 2005

OK, i picked this film to watch on a night in with the girls because it looked funny and it had Kirsten Dunst in it, and lets face it everyone loves her! But I have to say it has now become one of my favourite movies, its filled with funny dialogue, funky songs and jam packed with cool stars. I love Martin Short as the over dramatic Play director (being a drama student i have had directors very similar to him!)

The movie does constantly slip in and out of reality but the amazingly funny songs do hold it together and leave the the audience with the tunes stuck in there heads for days! With Vitamin C appearing in the opening sequence and the finale alongside Sisqo, it is hard not to fall in love with the music! I think it is clever that the movies narrative is based on Shakespeares "A midsummer nights dream" which is also the play that is performed in the finale of the movie. And Get over it could be used in schools to help desperate teenagers to understand the sometimes complex story lines of Shakespeares plays. Overall the movie fits the typical teen movie criteria, but at the same time it has some quirky gimmicks that are really funny. Its a perfect film to regain that feel good feeling after a rubbish day!

Sorry, I'm a nut, and I love this movie

Author: Nikki Buckley from Edmonton
10 June 2005

This movie falls short in a lot of things but I have to admit...I love it. I KNOW it's just another teen romance movie, but for me the acting of the two main characters, Ben Foster and Kirsten Dunst, as well as the singing that they actually did themselves, combined with the fact that parts of the movie are just plain weird, somehow captivates me into watching it...oh...maybe 25 times now. I think I am a sick freak that needs counseling but I love this movie. I don't really like Martin Short, but I thought he was excellent in this movie. I honestly thought the romance between Kelly and Burke was very believable and sweet in its way. I also am about to join a group about weird obsessive people who like movies that are not that great. Just kidding. Love this movie.

Funny and refreshing

Author: Kim Awesome (Kim@amyrlin.com) from Southern California
3 September 2005

This is one of my favorite movies. Many characters are outlandish and ridiculous, but that just adds to the fun. The direction is creative and original, and the plot is both hilarious and believable. This movie is great for anyone who likes teen comedy or likes to laugh. Just don't set your expectations too high -- this is plain fun, not high art.

Dunst is in top form, and the other actors are simply a joy to watch. Shane West's unbelievable accent will keep you rolling. Short is excellent. Foster is fabulous. Hanks is great.

The music is another excellent reason to watch this movie in itself. If you hate it, you probably don't have a soul. (I kid.) Seriously, this movie deserves to be watched at least once.

Oh-No another US Teen movie.. hang on it's GREAT!

Author: Morgan (mvwmail@talk21.com) from Lancashire, England
9 July 2001

I was bored, Its Sunday, and there is nothing on a out local Cinema (a rather run down dump).. oh hang on.. 'GET OVER IT'.. didn't I see that advertised on the side of a bus shelter? Another teen flick, slumber parties, perfect women, smart ass teenage lads.. Well at least its warm.. lets go and pass an hour or so.. So in I went...

I damned near laughed myself SICK!

Join Berke in his attempts to regain the love of his Childhood Girlfriend (Alison - played by Melissa Sagemeier) by joining the school drama production.. however he is thwarted by the Super Smooth Straker.. but its not easy as Straker can sing, dance, play the piano, and was a member of a boy band.. Berke is Helped and Hindered by his friends along the way leading to some hilarious scenes.

However, Berke is so blinded by his love of Alison, he completely misses Kelly's (Kirsten Dunst) attempts to gain his affections.

However Best-over-acting-and-getting-away-with-it award goes to Martyn Short, who steals the show as the manic producer of the school Drama based on Midsummer Night's Dream.

As the film progresses, so does the humour.. cumulating in a production-within-a-film of the Schools play. Brilliant songs and musical score, however I challenge anyone not to be enraptured by Kirsten Dunst when she sings 'Dream of You' SIGHHHHH!!

Give this film a try, it does not use Semi-Nude girls to sell the film (there is one short swimming pool scene which is Most Pleasant (DROOL), but thats about it.

8/10.. Funniest film I have seen this year

Should have been better

Author: The_Void from Beverley Hills, England
19 September 2004

Get Over It tells the heartbreaking story of a young man, dumped by his one true love. Ben Foster is said young man, and man; is he put through it. The poor lad first has to go through the horrors of being dumped, and not just by anyone; but by his high school sweetheart, and his pain doesn't stop there; salt is added to the wound when his ex-girlfriend gets a new boyfriend. Fair enough, you may think; until you realize he's a petty, leather pants wearing nancy boy, who's in a boyband no less! Things aren't looking up for our hero. In a final, desperate attempt to win back the girl of his dreams, Foster joins with the theatre school, who happen to be putting on a musical performance of "A midsummer night's dream", and to help become a better actor, he enlists the help of his friend's sister, Kirsten Dunst. Yes, I don't blame him either. Naturally, romance ensues where 'you least expect' (or not), and that is the major plot point of the film.

I didn't have particularly high expectations going into this movie, but Get Over It managed to fall short of them anyway. You cant go into a teen comedy expecting great things, but this movie has so many things going for it that it really should have been towards the top of the genre. First of all, it has a great cast. Kirsten Dunst headlines it, and rightly so. Her performance in this movie isn't one of her best, but she is sweetness personified; and that's all she needs to be. Ben Foster is the backbone of the movie, and his performance is great. Not great in the Robert DeNiro sense of the word, but for what it is; his performance is good. Excellent support is given to the two leads by Melissa Sagemiller (whom you might remember as the true star of Soul Survivors, although hopefully not), Shane West, who is campy but fun and also Martin Short, who is hilarious as the director of the play. Get Over It also has a decent enough script, but it suffers due to the high concentration of teen comedy clichés. We've got an overly hormonal dog, various people being hurled around in the air, overly silly characters etc; and it devalues the film. Had it have pulled away from the pitfalls of teen comedy, and more into a teen drama such as Kirsten's other 2001 film; Crazy/Beautiful, it would have been a far better movie. That being said; Get Over It is worth watching if you're after 90 minutes of entertainment. It has more than enough funny moments, and there's a good sense of fun overall. It's just a shame that it wasn't better.

A Very Satisfying Teen Musical Comedy

Author: Mr_Sensitive from THAILAND, BANGKOK
8 July 2005

This might not be the familiar name to the people but after watching it I got to say – it is one of the very few really good teen movies existed. No matter how many times I watch it is still very lively and watch able.

Story: A boy was crush when the loves of his life dump him. Desperate, he tried every trick to get her back, that also include joining the school theatre for A Midsummer Night Dream when everything when out of plan.

The casting is awesome, though the acting is no award material. The songs are also good, the story is alright – a new version of A Midsummer … though some of the stuff are pure nonsense and senseless.

Overall, the movie is very enjoyable musical movie, and there is no another teen musical movie so make this one of a kind. It is also very lively, kind of pervert, and some of the stuff could actually make you laugh.

Recommendation: Yes, Check It Out.

Rating: 7/10 (Grade: C+)

Please Rate My Review (Yes or No) After Reading It - Thanks

Like it or not the opening sequence will suck you in!!!

Author: peachesrox from los angeles
2 September 2001

I avoided this movie like an STD when it hit the theatres. I mean Sisco? NO thanks. So I was suprised when I watched it on dvd to find out how sparkling, cute ,and enjoyable this teen flick actually is. The opening of this film is one of the funniest and most creative openings I've seen in a while. Martin Short, Swoosie Kurtz, and Ed Begley Jr. (whom I usually detest) all give hilarious performances. Kirsten Dunst as always manages to once again charm the hell out of you and the rest of the young cast fairs well. As for Sisco, well the Y2K version of little Richard cannot act his way out of a paper bag but mercifully her highness is only in a few scenes and has few lines. Get over it is a cute no brainer that has some good one liners, funny musical numbers, and clever direction. Rent it the next time it rains and you miss the teen movies of the eighties.

A pleasing, entertaining musical teen comedy.

Author: moviearistocrat5000 (moviearistocrat5000@hotmail.com) from New Zealand
19 October 2001

GET OVER IT (2001) Rating: 8/10

I'll start this review by saying making a musical comedy for teens is a very hard thing to do. Not only to teens in general dislike musicals, but teen comedies with the Shakespeare theme are really growing old and it would be a hard job to come up with something that is fresh and new. Get Over It, a zany and fresh film, does not disappoint. This is a likeable musical that not only teens will enjoy. I'm sure all audiences will find a few qualities and maybe some will love the movie. I found it to be a cutesy, extremely fast (sometimes too fast) and well-built flick. The chemistry between the two leads – Kirsten Dunst and Ben Foster – is very believable and although predictable, the love story is well put-together and generally likeable. The acting is even better. Ben Foster is a strong newcomer and Kirsten Dunst once again proves she is the queen of teen movies, although she better lose that angle soon or she'll be up for Prom Queen once more! However, Martin Short steals the show. Almost every word that came out of his mouth was hilarious to me. I was in a fit laughing. Great characterisation there Martin. Does he realise though that is the second film that he has been in that involves fairies? Maybe he likes the fluttering phonies. The movie does use recycled jokes in places, which disappointed me. However, most of the humour is solid, strong and fresh, so don't worry, even if we have seen a girl fly over a car before while she's running, you'll still laugh. This movie has a great soundtrack, some very cool ideas, great sets, is very funny, romantic and highly enjoyable with some excellent acting and accents. Get Over It is well worth your time; it's not a hard movie to enjoy.

pleasant comedy, some laugh-out-loud moments

Author: hbs from United States
12 March 2001

In the new tradition of taking a classic work and casting it as a high school romance (I guess this tradition began with "Clueless", which is still the best of the bunch), "A Midsummer Night's Dream" gets turned into "Get Over It", but as a nice (if occasionally heavy-handed) twist, the movie revolves around a high school production of that play. The really funny moments are provided by Martin Short as the nut-case head of the theatre department, and Ed Begley, Jr. and Swoosie Kurtz as the nut-case sex-therapist parents of the male lead. (There is also some nice slapstick involving a hapless exchange student and some unusually humiliating accidents involving the male lead.)

The leads, Dunst and Foster, are solid. I've always liked Foster, and he is quite good here, and Dunst has a surprisingly nice voice (unless she was dubbed, but I think that it was her voice). Anyway, it's pleasant, occasionally inventive within the rigid confines of the genre, and has a few big laughs in it.

Page 1 of 18:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]