"DuckTales" The Treasure of the Golden Suns (TV Episode 1987) Poster

4 ReviewsOrdered By: Helpfulness
An AMAZING display of Disney magic. Superb viewing.
Max-20010 March 2000
While going through my archives of old VHS tapes, I happened to stumble upon one labled "Treasure of the Golden Suns". Appearently I had taped it off TV in 1987 when it originally aired on prime time television. I was certainly in for a treat! "Treasure of the Golden Suns" was the movie that started the DuckTales the series. It follows the adventures of Scrooge, his three nephews, his hired nanny Mrs. Beakly, and his pilot LaunchPad McQuack as they embark on an epic journey in search of the fabled Incan Treasure of the Golden Suns. The plot moves swiftly, with more twists than a pretzel factory....and the dialogue is top notch, especially for a TV movie. Also, it's not particularly for younger viewers due to some intense scenes and MUCH violence. Nevertheless, the movie astounded me in every way possible....animation, scripting....it has it all. A MUST for any Disney or adventure fan. 10/10
17 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
In the Beginning....
Hollywood_Yoda17 July 2013
Every good story has a beginning and for Scrooge McDuck, it was when he was left to care for his three nephews; Huey, Dewey and Louie. This three-part television movie was released in 1987 as a pilot episode for the series.

In the story, the three boys find a hidden treasure map of the Golden Suns, a treasure of vast fortune. Also introduced is Launchpad McQuack (also seen in Darkwing Duck), Scrooge's pilot. They head to the Middle East to search for the treasure, but unbeknownst to them, someone else is hot on the trail. It is Flinthart Glomgold, Scrooge's nemesis.

Most people think that "DuckTales: The Movie - Treasure of the Lost Lamp" was the first movie, but in fact, there were several TV movies, later made into episodic form.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Bloody Brilliant!!!
stormy_daze25 November 2006
I grew up with this series, and I shall tell you that Talespin, Ducktales, Chip and Dale, and Gummy Bears were fond memories of mine growing up. They were brilliant fun, and quite intelligent for children's cartoons.

I was a little worried, having loved it as much as I did, when I received it for a Christmas pressie last year. What if it wasn't as good? What if my memories were rose-coloured and the show was stupid and ridiculous and tragically unwatchable? I couldn't have been more wrong. The episodes were bloody brilliant, I think I enjoyed them now more than I had done when I was a kiddie -- mainly because I can appreciate it more now. There's wretched things like Dora the Explorer, in which the characters just screech and scream, and then there's a classic like Ducktales.

As most of you are probably aware, Uncle Scrooge, his newphew triplets Hewey, Dewey, and Lewey are always off getting themselves in trouble. Many of the stories are ripped off old mythologies (like Homer and the Illiad) but I don't mind as I'm a mythologist and can appreciate it now. The stories are morally entertaining, but they don't bash you over the head with the morals.

This is a safe, classic programme that's fun at all ages, if not a bit simplistic (what's wrong with that?). The characters are fab (Scrooge is still my favourite cartoon character ever) and even has an occasional guest-star with Uncle Donald.

If you want to relive some of your happy childhood memories, or have a safe, fun, inventive cartoon for your kiddies to watch, I highly recommend the four shows Talespin, Ducktales, Chip and Dale, and Gummy Bears, as they were brilliant.

Best part about Ducktales was the miniseries pilot, tho -- don't dare forget to watch Treasure of the Golden Suns, bloody brilliant!!!!!
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Disney's most popular series, though not quite their best.
montagrappa15 September 2008
When I was a kid, it didn't get much better than Ducktales. I had every VHS tape & watched it whenever possible. No other Disney series could top it, although several did come close. But now, things have changed. It is now my 3rd favorite Disney show, but is still one of my absolute favorites though. The voice acting is still the best of any Disney show, aside from Gummi Bears. And the animation is still great. And the adventures are still exciting. In fact, everything is still great, just not as great as when I was a kid. But don't let that dismay you. The DVDs are still well worth your dough, though I would recommend buying my 3rd favorite Aladdin (Wait a minute, it's not on DVD yet! Okay, make that watching Aladdin), Chip N' Dale Rescue Rangers(my 2nd favorite Disney show), &/or (preferably and) my all-time favorite Disney show Gummi Bears. It's the best of the "great, but not as great as I remember it" genre[ for me, anyway ]. And I dare say a single episode of Huey, Dewey, & Louie helping Uncle Scrooge get back "me number one dime" from Magica DeSpell is better than all the original Disney shorts combined. BOTTOM LINE: 10/10 - 8th best cartoon ever
0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this