IMDb > "The All-New Popeye Hour" (1978) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"The All-New Popeye Hour" More at IMDbPro »

Another great Popeye show!

Author: Movie Nuttball from U.S.A.
14 July 2005

When this show was on I watched it every time I could! I thought that the characters were really funny and all had great personalities. The animation in My opinion was crisp, clean, and really clear. Not to mention beautiful! Most of the characters in this show are like the hilarious Looney Tunes characters that we all love. in My opinion these characters are the funnies and talented ever seen. In fact, The things that goes on in this series' cartoons are in My opinion nuts which that is what makes them hilarious! There are so many to like and laugh at and the silly things they do! If you like the original Looney Tunes then I strongly recommend that you watch this show!

"Well Blow me down!" Popeye is on Saturday Morning!!

Author: skillz from Indiana
27 October 2000

The bald-headed, one-eyed,pipe-smoking, deformed-armed, spinach loving sailor man sails back into action! This time he is in a Saturday morning version that is probably more favorable towards parents; who want to raise kinder gentler children! In "the All-New Popeye Hour" instead of eating his spinach and beating someone senseless; he saves the day by doing tricks after guzzling a can of the leafy vegetable! However if you're a die-hard fan of animation you would be very disappointed! Max Fleisher provided lively animation in the days of the black-and-white shorts of almost half a century before. As the years went by and Popeye was presented in color, you witnessed the quality of animation gradually erode; until this 1978 series of Popeye cartoons which demonstrated poor animation!

The producers made sure everybody made it back! For the first time in years Popeye is reunited with: Seahag,Alice the Goon, and the Jeep! No version of Popeye would be complete without the always hungry Wimpy, and the big bully Bluto! The E.C. Segar created sailor man continues his engagement to Olive Oyl, which is without doubt the longest engagement in the history of Hollywood! They were eventually married years later! Popeye fans keep your eyes peeled for some REALLY all new Popeyes!

Tone Down Version of Popeye!

Author: ShelbyTMItchell from Seymour Tennessee
2 April 2013

It is in the title due to the fact that TV was cracking down on violence in the 1970s as instead of punching out Bluto or whatever, the characters threw stuff in order to stop the villains.

We also got the chance to see Olive not just as a damsel in distress but a woman that also got her own character developed as she joined the army with Alice the Goon.

This would also mark the last time where the one and only voice for Popeye Jack Mercer voiced him. As he would die in 1984. Sure there have been other people that had voiced him. But Jack Mercer is the one and only.

He is dearly missed. But still the show has a lot of personality to it!

Im sorry but this is going to contain spoilers!!!!

Author: white167 from United States
3 July 2008

Im a big Popeye fan in fact hes my favorite cartoon character so you can imagine my joy as a kid in finding out that there was a new Popeye cartoon coming to TV in 1978!I remember watching the intro and seeing Bluto harassing Popeye and throwing him into a rocket which flies in the sky and blows up and Popeye grabs his spinach and says his famous line , thats all I can stand that I cant stand no more! And I knew that after he ate that spinach Bluto was going to get a good butt kicking but instead he grabs a steam shovel and scoops up Bluto and dumps him into a garbage truck and my worst fears as a kid was realized they took the violence out of the Popeye cartoons! Popeye and Bluto could no longer punch,kick,shoot, each other or choke and beat up Olive they had to use alternative less violent ways for Popeye to take care of Bluto which made for very dull entertainment! The only thing I liked about the show was that the characters still had their wit so the show wasn't a total loss!

Does Not Measure up to Classic Popeye!

Author: (robocoptng986127@aol.com) from U.S.A
1 November 2002

[CONTAINS SPOILERS]

You heard right, Popeye the sailor and his pals Olive Oyl, Wimpy, Swee' Pea, Poopdeck Pappy, Eugene the Jeep and his nemesis Bluto are back in an all-new animated series! They get in to many adventures, like Popeye, Olive and Bluto land on the Island of the Goons were Bluto tries to get in cahoots with the queen. Or the one where Bluto rescues Popeye and Olive from an island. Actually, he only wanted to rescue Olive but Popeye "insisted" on coming along. Or how about the one where Popeye and Olive are marrooned on an island where a hunter, Bluto lives. He tries to hunt Popeye and Olive and captures them, but makes the mistake of feeding them spinach.

Also, Olive Oyl and Alice the Goon join the army and put's the whole platoon in an uproar! Sgt. Bertha Blast is destined to have a nervous breakdown because she suffers every mishap Olive and Alice cause, leaving Colonel Crumb getting the good side, like the episode where the Colonel was looking forward to a trip to Hawaii in the dead of winter so Sgt. Blast requests Olive and Alice's help in finding the Jeep that would drive them to the airport. They finally dig it out of a snow bank and they're ready to go, but now it won't start, so Olive and Alice "fix" it. The outcome results in the Colonel getting his vacation and leaving Sgt. Blast needing one.

There were also segments featuring Popeye and Olive vs. Bluto in sporting events, or the friends living in prehistoric days which leave Popeye wondering how to open a spinach can made of rock.

What do I think of this series? It was okay. One problem though: remember how whenever Popeye would intake spinach, he'd pop Bluto right in the face and send him flying? Well here, he doesn't punch him anymore! He just throws him or does something else. This series is less violent, which isn't good. So that's the reason I didn't like this series all that well. Jack Mercer is back as Popeye. Mae Questal doesn't return to do Olive though. Creative differences probably. But anyway, this series was okay. Popeye fans would like it or have mixed feelings like I did.

The All-New Popeye Hour (N/A, 1978) (TV)

Author: MARIO GAUCI (marrod@melita.com) from Naxxar, Malta
11 December 2008

POPEYE AND BIG FOOT **; POPEYE'S ENGINE COMPANY **; GETTING POPEYE'S GOAT **1/2

I used to lap these up as a kid but, catching an episode of the series comprising three cartoons back-to-back now i.e. several years later (they preceded the theatrical screening of the pirate yarn RAIDERS OF THE SEVEN SEAS [1953]), I can see how they don't hold up all that well! The character of Popeye isn't exactly sympathetic to begin with, Olive Oyl distinctly overbearing and Bluto's antics failed to elicit much interest either – in short, the scripts were alarmingly thin, fairly awful and generally unfunny to boot. They're strictly juvenile fare, yet I doubt today's kids would even have the patience to stick with them!; furthermore, the animation style is unattractive.

Taking each short per se, I guess they improved from one to the other: after the initial shock, one adapted to its mediocre quality as it were, so that the third cartoon easily results in being the most enjoyable of the lot – Popeye is entrusted with a mascot army goat whose immense appetite causes him no end of mischief (hardly original, I know, but always an amusing ploy). One interesting element here was that the shorts were bookended with Popeye delivering moralistic bits of wisdom to the kids in the audience.

That's all I can stands...I can't stands this cartoon!

Author: tomakalinus from Chicago, IL
29 November 2007

Hanna-Barbera sucks the life out of another famous property. The violence is watered down, the stories are formulaic, the animation is bad, the music is obnoxious and repetitive, and frankly, the show just isn't funny.

At the time, H-B put every one of its series through the same clichéd situations, regardless if it fit the world of the cartoon or not. Thus, Popeye and Bluto appear in a recurring segment as cavemen ("Hey! Popeye is popular, and the Flinstones are popular. Put 'em together, and you can't miss!"). Also, in an apparent ripoff of "Private Benjamin," Olive Oyl and the Goon have a regular segment that features them as new army recruits. Seriously! Why?

Adding to the annoyance factor are the public service announcements in every episode (standard practice at the time for cartoons, but still annoying). Popeye lectures his nephews on crossing the street safely, recycling, and - are you ready for this? - the dangers of smoking! (I swear I'm not making that up.)

The only charm remaining from the original cartoons is that Jack Mercer, the voice of Popeye from the early days, continues the role here.

Worth checking out once just to get a new appreciation for the old Fleischer shorts. Otherwise, avoid at all costs.

The Popeye Hour-New Format but Less Violence

Author: rcj5365 from Durham, North Carolina
17 December 2007

One of the most endearing comic creations of the 20th century was Popeye the Sailor Man. The pipe-smoking Navy man who gulped spinach to activate massive strength in his over-sized forearms and lower legs popped up first in 1928 in a newspaper comic strip drawn by E.C. Segar called "The Thimble Theater". Olive Oyl,Popeye's skinny,jittery girlfriend,was already a regular in the strip,along with her brother Castor Oyl,who spotted Popeye on a dock. The character's popularity grew,and soon his sayings like "I yam what I yam!" and "Well,blow me down!" became a massive hit with the younger set,leading in short time to having the character adapted for the movies,first in a 1931 Betty Boop animated short and onward to his first-ever theatrical cartoon short that premiered in 1933. The character also starred in a radio series heard briefly on NBC in 1935-36 and CBS in 1936. Between 1933 through 1957,they were 234 Popeye animated theatrical shorts that were released through Paramount Pictures which were huge box office hits.

In 1958,Paramount Pictures released 234 Popeye theatrical cartoon shorts to local television stations,where they proved to be very successful. In 1960,King Features-Syndicate,which had syndicated the Popeye comic strips for newspapers,went into its first TV production with a new version,supposedly because it was not getting residuals from the video screenings of the movie cartoons. As with the Paramount shorts,Jack Mercer voiced Popeye and Mae Questal was Olive Oyl while Bluto,Popeye's arch nemesis was replaced by the similar looking and sounding Brutus was voiced by Jackson Beck. The syndicated version ran for two years in syndication ending in 1962. From 1962 until 1978,there were no "New Popeye" cartoons in production. The repeated episodes of the series from the original TV production along with all 234 of the theatrical shorts were shown in syndication.

It wasn't until 1978,after more than a decade out of the spotlight,Popeye made his return to television and not to even mentioning made his debut into the abyss of Saturday Morning television. "The New Adventures of Popeye" had him back with the old crew including Sweetpea,Eugene The Jeep,Wimpy,and even Olive Oyl,and also brought back not only Popeye's arch-nemesis Bluto and also gets to face his greatest adversary and the most greatest villain--SEA HAG!!! in various adventures. This show was produced by Hanna-Barbera Productions in association with King Features-Syndicate and Paramount Television that ran from September 9,1978 until September 10,1983. Only 26 episodes were made of this series. Jack Mercer returned as the voice of Popeye. Here as in other previous versions,the violence quotient was markedly deemphasized-to the point where Popeye could not even roll up his sleeves to show off his massive biceps,much make a threatening gesture was banned despite the offset of what the producers could not do in the guidelines of censors for Saturday Mornings and the executives of children's programming at CBS-TV,which broadcast it. And to make sure that everyone was educated and not incited by the show's content,the short "Popeye's Safety Tips". The worst of this came in 1981,when the show was cut to a half-hour under the title "The Popeye and Olive Comedy Show",and under this added new characters that included "Private Olive Oyl" with Sgt. Blast and Col. Crumb in the female version of "Gomer Pyle".