Gekijô-ban poketto monsutâ - Myûtsû no gyakushû

Pokémon: The First Movie - Mewtwo Strikes Back More at IMDbPro »Gekijô-ban poketto monsutâ - Myûtsû no gyakushû (original title)

A breakthrough for the Pokémon Universe

Author: Rosalyn Lim 林惠美 (hayashimegumi) from http://rosalynmuses.blogspot.com
9 December 2014

Mewtwo Strikes Back (1998) is Pokémon's first animated feature. Ever since the first time I saw it in Cantonese or Japanese dub as a child, I have been watching and anticipating the movies every year and I believe I would still do so for many years to come!

I still remember some of the scenes from this animated feature by memory but I have long forgotten the story of Mewtwo Strikes Back (1998). Watching this animated feature again but a decade later and in English dub, surprisingly, it is still entertaining to watch due to its everlasting charm; the charm that has captured the hearts of millions of fans around the world.

In terms of cinematography, it is okay I guess but there are several minor yet highly avoidable errors in color correction and script that I have noticed, at least in the older English dubbed version which I have recently rewatched. Those errors shouldn't have been there, it affects the overall experience of the animated feature as well as potentially reducing its maximum appeal.

The unique characters (or creatures) and the bond between the endearing characters are what stands out most in this animated feature, which is impressive. Unfortunately, it may be confusing for those who have zero clue about Pokémon as the script is quite dull in some parts.

Just a shorter version of my review, Mewtwo Strikes Back (1998) is about selfishness, loneliness, innocence, friendship and its adorable Pokémon even if watched without the short prologue, Pikachu short or any clue at all. I loved the first half of the animated feature but I won't hide that I do get annoyed at some points towards the end. But all the adorable Pokémon expressions melted me so meh, I forgive the annoyance inflicted on me.

Should you give this animated feature a chance? Yes. It's the beginning of Pokémon anime movies and it is its appeal that makes it successful. Sure, it does have its own imperfections but it certainly is a breakthrough for the Pokémon Universe. Give it a chance if you have the time. It won't disappoint especially if you loved everything about Pokémon and want to know more about Pokémon. Watch the original Japanese version, okay?