IMDb > O Brother, Where Art Thou? (2000) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
O Brother, Where Art Thou?

O Brother, Where Art Thou? More at IMDbPro »

Page 9 of 87: [Prev][4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [Next]

Bonafide!

Author: Snoopy1 from Watertown, MA
15 April 2002

I loved it. The acting was superb, the music was wonderful, and it made me laugh. This is also one of those movies that gets funnier each time you see it. The actors who played Delmar and Pete were really believable. And of course, George Clooney was great. Didn't his character remind anybody of Clark Gable in "It Happened One Night"?

Great movie

Author: evilned-1 from Sweden
13 April 2002

Since I loved "The Big Lebowski" so much I felt the urge to buy this movie as well, and it might not be as great as "Big Lebowski", but it sure is great! The Coen brothers just make excellent movies!

George Clooney delivers a load of funny lines throughout the movie, and can't seem to stay serious for 5 seconds. John Torturro and Tim Blake Nelson aren't quite as funny tho, its basicly up to Clooney and the characters they meet to keep the comedy feel up. But the scene where Nelson discovers the toad is just a killer!

On their journey to stop a marriage they encounter many strange people, and lots of other stuff. Klu Klux Klan for example... Or George (Baby Face) Nelson. John Goodman also plays a role here, but he's not that funny, compared to his role in "Big Lebowski", but its always fun seeing Goodman around!

The soundtrack, as with all other Coen movies, is great! And damn fitting to! And the scenery was the best I've seen in years! A great movie! A must have!

Brilliant

Author: lori-1 from Coshocton, Ohio
1 April 2002

I viewed this film with my brother on a tip from a libraian friend who said this film was funny. She wasn't kidding. This film will make you laugh hard and also make you think about your next CD purchase. The music suits this movie perfectly and will get you up out of your chair and dance. If you love interesting movies see this one.

EXCELLENT FILM BEAUTIFULLY DONE

Author: toddbridges
1 April 2002

I don't follow the same school of thought of some people when it comes to the Cohen brothers .....that everything they do is brilliant even when it's poor brilliance. They are hit-and-miss just as everyone else in Hollywood. This is without a doubt a "hit". A simple story that is filmed beautifully and skillfully acted .George Clooney is excellent... and I have disliked him in everything he has done until now. The role was tailor-made for him. I saw a lot of reviews knocking his southern accent even though Clooney is the ONLY southern born Soggy Bottom Boy! Delmar and Pete's accents are stereo-typed southern accents and not really on the money ..... Clooneys use of a pseudo-regal southern accent was on the mark and fit the character perfectly. Watch the movies at least twice..listen to the soundtrack endlessly.

o bill monroe, where art thou?

Author: bill johnson (tilnun3)
29 March 2002

Until The Big Lebowski I did not know who the Coen brothers were. Fargo was interesting but blood is not that much of a turn on for me even if it is tongue and cheek. But when I saw Lebowski I thought it was the best movie I had ever seen. So I had to see everything that the Coen's did including Fargo again. Seeing Blood Simple for the first time and knowing who the Coens are and what they had to go through to get into the movie industry was an education in how talent can overcome political connections in the movie industry. I didn't think they could top The Big Lebowski so I didn't see O Brother, Where art thou? until now. In fact I have to admit that O brother now is the best movie ever made. In fact they don't even make movies they make works of art. I know that reviewers like Rodger Ebert are not that impressed but that's only because they have to take the movies seriously and not as just entertainment first. I think the soul of America is in it's humor and not knee jerk political correctness.

Saw it for second time and it got better

Author: Marco (marcootje7@hotmail.com) from Netherlands
25 February 2002

Saw this a year ago in the cinema. I am a huge Coen fan and expected to be overwhelmed...But I was a little disappointed. Didn't laugh as loud as with Big Lebowski and it wasn't as sharp as Fargo or Blood simple.

I picked it up at the videostore and watched it again the other night on DVD. I laughed louder and saw the genius in the apparently rambling, lazy scriptwriting. The dialogue is so brilliant, you have to see it multiple times, esp. when you do not come from the States. But it pays off. Clooney is brilliant, as is everyone else. The music so good, you want to hear it again. It is made by two of the most origianal and inventive director's at work today. "I am goin' apey!!" Brilliant.

I am gonna buy it on DVd, for sure.

9 out of 10 (probably 10 out of 10 next time!)

Great movie

Author: waemken (waemken@pandora.be) from Beveren, Belgium
24 February 2002

This a fantastic movie of three prisoners who become famous. One of the actors is george clooney and I'm not a fan but this roll is not bad. Another good thing about the movie is the soundtrack (The man of constant sorrow). I recommand this movie to everybody. Greetings Bart

Great, great, great

Author: sperman from Bologna, Italy
17 February 2002

Great movie, great actors, great soundtrack! I loved it! Settings are perfect, dialogues, situations, storyline... all together mixed to give this masterpiece! Clooney and Turturro are magnificent and the Soggy Bottom Boys are simply charming and contagious with their music! :)

Coen Brothers do it again!!!

Author: LebowskiT1000 from Escondido, California, USA
15 February 2002

I've seen just about all of the Coen brothers' films now, and I have to say this is one of their better films. I wouldn't dare say it's better than "The Big Lebowski", but it was very good in it's own right.

I thought the story was very interesting and hilarious at times. I loved all the characters, especially Tim Blake Nelson (Delmar) and John Turturro's (Pete).

There really isn't anything bad I can say about this movie, but this movie isn't for everyone. It might be safe to say that if you liked the other Coen brothers' films, then you'll hopefully like this one too. And if you liked what you saw in the trailer, I think you'll like the film, but don't hold me to it.

Anyhow, I hope that you like(d) the film as much as I do. Thanks for reading,

-Chris

A fantastic carnival of a film.

Author: daddyben2k from Arguably the most beautiful weather in the World!
14 February 2002

The Coen's strike again. I had no presuppositions going in and I was amazed at the bizarre telling of a good-bad guy story. Although Clooney is easily replaceable in this, his cornball style is welcome. Turturro and Nelson are dead ringers. And I loved "I Am a Man of Constant Sorrow" as performed by the "Soggy Bottom Boys". Catchy tune...

8 of 10