IMDb > O Brother, Where Art Thou? (2000) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
O Brother, Where Art Thou?

O Brother, Where Art Thou? More at IMDbPro »

Page 7 of 85: [Prev][2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [Next]

Depression Survivor Speaks

Author: dangercracker from Bhutan, England
15 October 2006

I am a surviving member of a family who remembers these characters breezing through our little town back in '31. We hung those boys but I guess this is a good Hollyweird take on that situation. Love George Clooney. He reminded us of a Gable or a Flynn type. Both had relations with our girls. We disowned all! Here is my niece Ethel and her story.

We lived through the depression and related to some of the conditions portrayed. We have watched it perhaps a dozen times. Each time we see it we pick up on something we had missed because we were still laughing at, or discussing, an earlier scene or line. The entire film was a collection of photographically great faces. We are still asking ourselves whether the entire cast were professionals or whether some were individuals found on location. The film was rich with subtle tie-ins like the children tied together with twine, as the prisoners were connected by chains. We still think the cow may have been hit unintentionally. Fords of that era had mechanical brakes. The driver of the car may not have been accustomed the longer stopping distances required. The many allusions to Ulysses Odyssey inspired us to do an inter-net search. We found a modern text version and discovered more sly references. We appreciate blue grass and country music as originally American and found it thoroughly enjoyable, along with the authentic "Go To Sleep Little Baby" and "Down from the Mountain." We were emotionally touched by this film because of our age, and find it totally entertaining every time we view it. We are still amazed that someone not of our generation could have captured the essence of that period of United States history.

My niece is mentally unstable and you should not take her seriously. These characters really existed and some still live. They are still interested in larceny, etc. so you should beware! We remember the Baptismals in the river ceremonies. Get Baptized!!! The only way to The Kingdom of Heaven.

Brilliant!

Author: andrew-1192 from United Kingdom
27 September 2006

Not exactly sure whether I'd like it, there was nothing else on TV which took my interest so I decided to give this film a few minutes of my time.

It's one of those curious films where there is no easily identifiable "plot". But it is a series of events which came across as being well stitched together. Congratulations to the film makers for doing a great job of that.

It's a comedy, and a good one at that. It does take a little while to get into (assuming it is a film that you can personally get into, it might not suit everyone!), but once you've got the theme sorted out you really start to chuckle at the events that take place.

I was glad I sat down to watch this one, and I can see me watching it again in due course.

If it weren't for the music, I'd skip it

Author: frankie_time from United States
2 September 2006

This slightly amusing tale of 3 escaped convicts is saved by it's music. Yes, there are a few humorous moments that produced a chuckle or two, but I wouldn't sit through it again, unless it was to hear the music.

Considering the acting talent in the movie, it's hard to believe it's as forgettable as it is. George Clooney does a very good job of lip synching to Dan Tyminski (Allison Krause & Union Station) although it is uncredited, so those without the thought that George Clooney doesn't sing that well (he might, remember his Aunt Rosemary) may never discover Dan's music for themselves, that would be a sad thing.

Master Storytellers

Author: Hitchcoc from United States
24 February 2006

Those Coen brothers' movies really do grown on you. I had just seen Fargo when I rented this. It is one of the most creative, off the wall films I have ever seen. As these characters bumble their ways after a prison break, they are embraced by a series of the most unconventional personages ever to hit filmdom. And one gets turned into a frog--sort of. their flirtations with fame, the Klan, a cyclops, and all the other episodes, make this a hilarious romp. George Clooney's Ulysses is an obsessive, full speed ahead, damn the torpedoes, coupled with the charming half-wittedness of his fellow travelers, works at every level. Like Greek poetry, he is butting heads with the gods, but despite setbacks, keeps moving. It is story telling with charm and a load of bull. Everyone is some kind of philosopher, but the words come out of gap toothed, shaved headed hillbillies. And, of course, Clooney has hell to pay. I could watch this over and over again. And then there's the really cool music. I didn't even mention that!

American cinematic masterpiece

Author: trampoline from United States
29 January 2006

This film hits every mark needed to qualify as a true classic. I'm not a slapstick comedy fan and i don't enjoy the juvenile situation comedies, so this film was indeed a curiosity to me when it was first released since it was based on "The Odyssey". But I had no earthly idea that its purely American themes of prison convicts on the lamb, stumbling/singing ones way to instant fame, seeking an imaginary fortune and political opportunism would meld into a story that is both charming and, thanks to Homer, intricate. The Coen Brothers were extremely fortunate to have cast George Clooney as the quick-talking philosopher Everet and Tim Blake Nelson as the simple-minded but revolutionary Delmer. John Turturro's Pete is Oscar worthy, enough said. The much glorified soundtrack is pure inspiration and deserves much credit for making this film so remarkable. The Three Stooges never had so many wonderful discussions nor displayed the innocence that the Soggy Bottom Boys put into their efforts. "Being steeped in old timey" is one of this film's best qualities for the cinematography is remarkably characteristic of the Depression laden South and the Coens use Dixie's traditions and its institutions to their full advantage. This is a don't miss film and one of the all-time best comedies.

Damn, We're in a Tight Spot!

Author: patrick_dunne (wingkon@comcast.net) from United States
20 October 2005

"Oh Brother, Where Art Thou?" is the Odyssey-based, music-filled, Coen brothers' title that stars three men (Everett, Delmar and Pete) who have escaped from their prison work. Everett, Delmar and Pete end up looking for a treasure which is buried by Everett's cabin. Along the way, the three encounter many obstacles such as: sirens, bible salesmen, horse-eating family members and a cow on a cotton roof. (Which really isn't an obstacle)

This movie is pretty unique and funny at the same time. The story and music may be a bit unoriginal, but the jokes certainly are. They aren't slapstick or complete randomness, but a bit clever, and silly at the same time.

Filled with jokes and tons of bluegrass music, there is some more appeal added into the movie. Though, some of the movie really depends on your sense of humor and taste in music, it is a great film, nonetheless. It also spawned one of the greatest quotes in movies: "Damn, we're in a tight spot!"

Those Coen Brothers (also known for comedies such as "Fargo" and "The Big Lebowski") sure know comedies.

Superbly Entertaining

Author: Wulfstan10 from United States
8 March 2005

This is absolutely one of the most fun and entertaining films I have ever seen, easily ranking up there with the Adventures of Baron Munchausen.

Somewhat like Terry Gilliam and his cohorts, the Coen brothers have a knack for creating a wacky story with colorful, odd-ball characters and odd events in a surreal manner that is utterly compelling and convincing. They achieved all of that in this film, providing a surreal and very fun take on a stereotypical movie-land version of the South combined with many ideas and characters certainly based on the Odyssey and Aeneid. Although they supposedly claimed never to have "read" the Odyssey, and some have criticized this film as incorrectly claiming to be inspired by the Odyssey, it is quite clear that that inspiration is there. Numerous characters and events are clearly taken from the myths of Odysseus (and, in fact, Aeneas), but they are simply dressed up in a wacky Southern guise. The events may not happen "exactly" as they did in the Odyssey, etc., but that is irrelevant. The fact remains that the parallels are undeniably there and that everything in the film works beautifully.

The cinematography, visuals in general, soundtrack, and the acting are all excellent. The result is, in my book, certainly one of the Coen brothers' best achievements, although not quite the equal of The Hudsucker Proxy, which is simply incredible. It is possibly their most fun move ever.

Wonderful movie - deep and meaningful

Author: leyla4601 from United States
16 January 2005

This movie really had it all - meaning, humor, great acting, wonderful writing. I was very impressed with the quality of the direction and the screenplay, both of which brought out a uniquely adapted "Odyssey". The film's cinematography captures the essence of the '30s, and, contrary to its slapstick front, makes some very important points about US history, social circles, and cultural heritage. O Brother, Where Art Thou is one of the 15 movies I own simply because of how effective I found it. Watching it reminds me of the first time I saw Gladiator and the way I questioned my world-view, seeing deeper meaning to the mundane things around me. In Gladiator, the mundane was represented by the feel of wheat shafts on one's palm vividly represented in Russell Crowe's dreams of his home; in this film, the simple landscape that forms each scene brings to mind how important it is to just stop and appreciate the little things.

Hillbilly version of the "Odyssey"

Author: boycebrown-1
3 April 2004

When this movie came out, I read an article that said that the plot was based on the "Odyssey" by Homer. They were probably right, it is like the hick version of the timeless classic. In a couple years, when material is short, they'll probably do the same for the "Illiad". But seriously folks, just because it's hick doesn't mean it isn't great. The characters are funny, the situations are funny, (especially when they knock the burning cross on the KKK members)The music is pretty good too. When it came out, I really liked that "I am a man of constant sorrow" song. It you want a funny, definitely a time piece and something from the south then this is perfect.

You get it or you don't

Author: culp@execpc.com from New Berlin, Wisconsin
23 December 2003

One of the finest pieces of story telling ever to hit celluloid. The performances are so perfect and dead-on, and the nuances so subtle, that this movie defies description. It is no wonder that the reviews you read run the gamut from "piece of junk", to "superb" to just plain confused. This is a must-see movie, and from there you're on your own, you have to decide for yourself. Note, however, that this film follows its own course -- *loosely* based on Ulysses, and with its own symbolism, characters, and themes. To spot them all you will need to watch carefully, think constantly, and, in all likelihood, see the film many times more than once. Not to worry, it improves with each viewing.