IMDb > O Brother, Where Art Thou? (2000) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
O Brother, Where Art Thou?

O Brother, Where Art Thou? More at IMDbPro »

Page 11 of 85: [Prev][6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [Next]

The Coen Brothers Triumph Again!

Author: Bruce from Massachusetts
2 February 2002

'O Brother, Where Art Thou' is a gleeful retelling of Homer's 'Odyssey', set in 1930s Mississippi and rampant with splendid quirkiness that is the trademark of the brothers Coen. Three hapless convicts make their escape to find treasure--and more than their share of adventure--in this delightful film. George Clooney is in fine, ingenuous form as the chatty, amiable leader of the trio; but the real acting kudos go to John Turturro and Tim Blake Nelson as his goofy but lovable cohorts, dubbed the 'Soggy Bottom Boys' by Clooney's character after they receive baptism by full immersion in a river. The three cut a record under that homespun nom-de-plume for the cash, and unwittingly become overnight sensations with veritable 'rock star' status. The film is accompanied by enough music and songs to almost qualify it as a musical. And there are some incredible feats of film-making here: the scene at the KKK rally is a real doozy, and is so similar to the scene when Dorothy's friends rescue her from the witch's castle in 'The Wizard of Oz' that it almost amounts to cinematic plagiarism. And what an amazing work of plagiarism it is! Without giving away the ending, I must say the climax of the movie is one of the most breathtaking sequences put to film in recent memory (on a par with the spectacular finale of 'Magnolia', another one of my favorites). 'O Brother' is a must-see, a perfect 10!

love the humor and the music

Author: klabbers from Portland, Oregon
11 January 2002

I recently saw this movie on DVD. Too bad I missed it in the movie theatre. It was so witty, it cracked me up. The music is excellent. I just had to go and buy the soundtrack. And the scenes were often so beautiful, that you really need a big screen to fully appreciate it. This is definitely one of the best movies that I have seen so far.

Anyone notice Clooney played Clark Gable?

Author: Scott Zeller (szeller986@msn.com) from Northern California, USA
5 January 2002

Just saw the film last night, and was struck by how much George Clooney seemed to be playing his character as Clark Gable would have. So much, from the mustache to the cadence and tone of his speech, had Gable all over it. Watch "It Happened One Night" and you will see what has to have been Clooney's inspiration.

Having seen Clooney in so many other roles, and never like this, means this had to be an intentional impersonation. It actually fits with the story -- many a fellow in 1937 would no doubt, from pomade to manner of speaking, have liked to emulate Gable, the consummate leading man of the day.

I have searched through many reviews and comments on this film and have been surprised not to see this mentioned.

Surprising (in a good way)

Author: stamper from The Netherlands
30 December 2001

After seeing the 'oh so acclaimed' Fargo and thinking it was nothing more than average, I was wandering if it would be a good idea to rent another Coen 'masterpiece'. This time I was much less disappointed than I was with Fargo and I must say that most of the credit for that goes to the good jokes and the good acting of George Clooney. Well done Mr. Clooney, make more of these and less 'Perfect Stormish' movies. You can act and you showed it here.

7 out of 10

Best movie I've seen

Author: Brian from Seattle, WA
30 December 2001

This has got to be the best movie I've seen. You definately have to watch it more than once to find all of the humor and twists. I'm no fan of George Clooney, but he shines here. The real performance comes from Tim Blake Nelson and John Turturro as Pete and Delmar. One of the few movies that I own.

Really Different & Unexpected!

Author: Fitzweldon from USA
21 December 2001

It started off weird, the middle was weird, and the ending was weird, but I really, really liked it. A modern day version of Homer's Odyessy but that is really irrelevant. Interesting story and casting. Clooney was great and I applaud him for taking on such an adverterous role - so unlike anything he has done or ever will do again. Lots of surprise stars - why isn't Holly Hunter in more. Do something different tonight and watch this really different and unexpected flick.

Fantastic movie

Author: Cubcreer from Provo, Utah
20 December 2001

It takes a rare movie to get better each time you see it. O Brother does that and then some. The first time I saw it, I have to admit I had never seen anything like it. Then I wanted to see it again, and now I'm up to double digits with this great movie, the Coen brothers' finest movie they've ever done, with Fargo and Hudsucker Proxy coming in a tight second and third for me.

George Clooney gives the performance of his career playing Ulysses Everett McGee, a fast-talking know-it-all escaped convict who really doesn't know that much at all. Tim Blake Nelson and John Turturro are the perfect sidekicks for Clooney, particularly Nelson and his portrayal of Delmar, a loyal albeit uneducated fellow escapee. John Goodman is my favorite bit character as Big Dan, perfect. It reminds me of his part in Raising Arizona, he's just a perfect actor for this role. Coen brothers' favorites Holly Hunter and Charles Durning also provide memorable performances.

Joel and Ethan Coen are masters of their trade. It's not like they try to win Academy Awards every time they make a film, they just try and tell a story that they want to tell, and it's entertaining. It's a loose adaptation of the Odyssey, and I mean loose for all of you Homer fanatics. It's just great.

The most amazing part of this movie though is the coloring. I've watched how they got the dusty feel to the movie and I am still in awe just thinking about it. The coloring does become an important part of the movie. Great great movie.

Great movie!

Author: Patricia from Maryland, U.S.A.
19 December 2001

This movie was sooooooo good! It was hilarious! There are so many jokes that you can just watch the movie over and over and not get tired of it. John Turturro and Tim Blake Nelson were awesome as Pete Hogwallop and Delmar! I love those guys! I love the adventures they went on, too. I definitely recommend this movie.

Also, the music in this movie is terrific! I love singing along with all of the songs!

Yet another brilliant and unique craft from the Coen brothers

Author: corplhicks from USA
12 December 2001

Three southern men escape from depression-era prison to find treasure in this Coen film loosely based on the Odyssey. Can be a bit goofy at times, stretching the liberty of imagination too far, but its flaws are overcome by the sheer strength of the performances, most notably Clooney with his sly persona. Strong cast and images give well-meaning to the film, although the central idea is hard to grasp. Yet another brilliant and unique craft from the Coen brothers.

What the...

Author: nessking (nessking@email.com) from az
12 November 2001

I am sorry i really am. I just can't understand how anyone could enjoy this movie. Despite the great acting it displayed, it was a pretty unpredictable movie that left me angry. I will never look at John Goodman the same way ever again. Do yourself a favor and don't damage your intellect by seeing this movie.