The Whole Nine Yards (2000) Poster

Effective Screwball Comedy
noralee21 December 2005
"The Whole Nine Yards" is surprisingly effective screwball comedy that reminds me of such classics as "Bringing Up Baby" though with way higher amoral body count.

At first the actors seem to be each in a parallel movie, with Matthew Perry doing physical slapstick comedy, Bruce Willis deadly serious, Rosanna Arquette just nasty, Amanda Peet being her "Jack and Jill" character (one of my TV guilty pleasures) and Natasha being like a super-model.

Then something clicks in and it just gets funny and I couldn't help laughing and laughing.

I hope Michael Clarke Duncan gets to keep those fancy suits, because it must be hard to get ones to fit him; with "Green Mile," this performance impressively shows his range.

(originally written 3/19/2000)
31 out of 38 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Black Comedy from Jonathan Lynn
jhclues2 September 2001
Is a guy who has killed seventeen people necessarily a `bad' guy? Not a question everybody is going to have to ask themselves, to be sure, but what if that guy moved in next door to you? It's a situation that just may induce an introspective moment or two. Which is exactly what happens in `The Whole Nine Yards,' directed by Jonathan Lynn and starring Bruce Willis and Matthew Perry. Hit-man Jimmy `The Tulip' Tudeski (Willis) ratted out his boss in Chicago, and now he's on the lam. He makes his way to Canada, where he buys a house next door to a hapless dentist, Nicholas `Oz' Oseransky (Perry), who is suffering from inherited debts and a shrew of a wife, Sophie (Rosanna Arquette), not to mention a mother-in-law from Hell (Carmen Ferland). When he realizes who his neighbor is about to be, his first instinct is to run, but Sophie has other ideas. It seems there's a price on Jimmy's head; one Janni Gogolack (Kevin Pollak) would like to take his revenge on the guy who's responsible for his father going away for a long, long time. So Sophie squeezes Oz into a corner until he agrees to go to Chicago and meet with Janni to put the finger on Jimmy. Not a great idea, Oz thinks, but it at least sounds like a nice vacation, so he goes. But, of course, he should have stayed with his instincts, because he soon finds himself looking down the barrel of trouble. And the only way out, it seems, is down...

What Lynn put together here is actually a fairly light-hearted, black comedy; the nature of the story dictates that there will be violence in it, and there is, but much of it is implied rather than graphic. The pace is good, and Lynn develops the characters enough to let you know exactly who they are and what they are all about. There's not a lot of depth, but it's not necessary; the actors have each made their respective characters unique to a point that puts them beyond stereotype, and it works perfectly for this film and the story. Some of what happens is inevitable, though not necessarily predictable, and certain aspects will keep you guessing right up to the end. Typical of a comedy that leans to the dark side, nothing in this story is cut and dried.

Willis is perfect as Jimmy The Tulip, giving a rather reserved, subtle performance that puts Jimmy's guarded but confident manner into perspective. Underneath it all, this guy is really rather cold-blooded (he has to be, given his choice of employment), but his relationship with Oz gives it some warmth, at least externally. Like Chow Yun-Fat in `The Killer,' Jimmy is likable, but when you consider at arm's length who he is and what he is capable of, it's a bit disconcerting. And that's one of the aspects of the film that is so interesting-- because you know who and what Jimmy is, you never really know which way things are going to turn.

Perry is excellent, as well, as `Oz.' Henpecked and in dire straits, he is something of an updated version of the W.C. Fields character in `It's A Gift' or `The Bank Dick,' although a bit darker. Perry is charismatic, has impeccable timing with his delivery and uses physical comedy to great effect. His reactions to Willis and the situations in which he finds himself are brilliant and hilarious, and he seems to instinctively know just how far to take it to make it work. And it's the little, seemingly insignificant things he brings to the character that give the film that extra something and creates some memorable moments.

The supporting cast includes Michael Clarke Duncan (Frankie Figs), Natasha Henstridge (Cynthia), Amanda Peet (Jill St. Claire), Harland Williams (Special Agent Hanson) and Serge Christianssens (Mr. Boulez). It may not be the most original movie ever made, but `The Whole Nine Yards' is funny, has a great cast of actors who have taken characters you've basically seen before and made them their own, and does exactly what a film like this is supposed to do: Entertain. It's not going to make you ponder the universe or the state of the world today, but it's going to give you a couple of hours of laughs and some residual chuckles. Which, when you think about it, is not such a bad deal. It's the magic of the movies. I rate this one 7/10.
24 out of 29 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Gee, everyone is so sensitive to a mob comedy!
Boyo-229 May 2001
Judging from the comments below, I guess being a hitman is not much to laugh at...and the term 'black comedy' doesn't come to anyone's mind? Does that extend to the fact that without George Raft going after Jack Lemmon & Tony Curtis in "Some Like It Hot", they would have no reason to meet Marilyn, get on a train to Miami, etc. etc. ??

Of course its not funny in real life that people get killed. But this comedy starring Bruce Willis and Matthew Perry is very well done and had me laughing about it even when it was over. It was so over the top and so overpopulated with killers and gangsters and contract killings that at times its hard to remember what's going on and who is out to kill whom, but it does not matter at all since its all in fun.

I do not like either of the leads, generally speaking. I liked about five out of all Bruce Willis' movies and Perry I've seen on his tv show and enjoyed him but never really thought about him much. In this they are both very well cast and when they strike up a friendship, its believable. Willis does not do a 'goombah, fuggetaboutit' attitude or accent, thankfully, even though his character has an Italian surname, and does not mug for the audience at all.

Amanda Peet is very funny as a wanna-be hitwoman and a fan of the real killers, and Michael Clarke Duncan is also very funny.

Only downside is Rosanna Arquette - bad casting choice here! Maybe someone owed her a favor. Ironically, she is not one of the people who has a contract out on her, though God knows she's annoying enough for one.
47 out of 61 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The Whole Nine Yards Of Fun!
Kristine11 September 2007
I rented The Whole Nine Yards a few days ago, and just watched it this morning, I'm such a huge Bruce Willis fan, I don't see him that often in comedies, so I was curious how this would work. But after viewing this film, I have to just say that this movie was just so funny! I couldn't believe how much it made me laugh, I know it's such a dark subject, but it was pretty cool how they just turned into a zanny comedy. Bruce Willis and Matthew Perry were just the most perfect choices, they were like ying and yang. Matthew as this guy who just is scared of everything and finally has something at the end to say where he has control and Bruce couldn't have been a more perfect choice as the cocky and yet charismatic hit man who could be threatening but yet the most likable guy in the world. The story was just very clever and worked so well with the cast.

Nick is just your average guy, he is a dentist and a very likable guy, but he gets walked on quite a bit, especially by his wife who he feels like he owes her family, so he won't divorce her. But one day, a new neighbor moves in, Nick notices him pretty much off the bat, it's Jimmy "the tulip" Tudeski, the famous hit man who has killed 17 people and also ratted out his boss. He's on the run from his boss in Chicago and has a ransom on his head. Nick actually likes Jimmy, but his wife, Sophie, says to turn him in and get the award. He goes to Chicago and falls in love with Jimmy's wife, Cynthia. When Nick comes back home to Canada, he learns from Jimmy that his wife has gone to hire a hit man to kill Nick. But Nick also learns that Jimmy wants to kill Cynthia, Jimmy's boss wants to kill Nick, Nick's receptionist is also a hit woman, pretty much everyone wants to kill everyone.

That's pretty much the best way to sum up The Whole Nine Yards, but trust me when I say that this is such a fun movie. I really had a good time watching this movie, Bruce Willis was just so great. But I have to admit that Amanda Peet's performance floored me when she was just admiring Bruce's work and getting advice from him on what her first hit should be like. She was just so adorable while being deadly. So please, I would recommend this film, it's a dark comedy, yes, but it's all good, just learn to let go and have fun if you're very sensitive on the subject.

18 out of 22 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The Best!!!
FMorgana27 December 2005
This is one (if not the one) of my favorite movies.

I just loved it, it has an excellent plot, perfect acting from most of the actors, specially Matthew Perry... and it's just great when you can find a movie nowadays where you can't predict the ending cause everything is possible to happen.

It's very funny

It's enjoyable

It's a pleasure to watch, alone or even better with friends

You're gonna be in for a real treat...

Although, if you like this one, don't get your hopes up too high... Cause the second one "The Whole Ten Yards", is faaaaaar from this good.

Hope you like this movie as much as I did
18 out of 23 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
lots of laughs, surprises, and spirited performances
Special-K8814 February 2002
Perry is an unhappy dentist stuck in a dead marriage and burdened with financial problems; as if that isn't bad enough, he learns that his new neighbor is in fact an infamous contract killer with reprehensible mob ties. Against his better judgment, Perry decides to try and rat out the lowlife for his own personal gain, but soon gets in over his head. The film's humor is occasionally too silly for words, but the cast is good and full of enthusiasm—especially Peet—and the script throws out a lot of unexpected twists and turns at just the right moments. Surprising and very funny, with a perfect part for Willis who finds just the right tone for a gangster with heart. ***
21 out of 29 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Fun, light entertainment
segacs5 February 2005
I watched this one on the dish the other day, eager to see Montreal in a movie actually playing Montreal, as opposed to masquerading as New York or Chicago or some other city. Other than that, I really didn't know what to expect.

I was pleasantly surprised in a few ways. Matthew Perry was playing his usual goofy character, as a result of total lack of any acting ability whatsoever. But Bruce Willis is always good, Amanda Peet stole the screen in almost every scene she was in, and the plot line was just quirky enough to be entertaining. Innovative and fresh, I found this film to be more creative than most of what's currently out in the theatres. It didn't have that formula imprint of so many Hollywood films (i.e. take the comedy formula off the shelf and cast it by Friday). I actually laughed out loud at a few moments.

The movie did go wrong in a couple of places. Being a Montrealer, I noticed a few things that most viewers might have missed. For instance that their obsession with Mayonnaise on hamburgers, which is integral to the plot, isn't based on any reality that I know of as I have yet to find a Montreal restaurant that puts mayonnaise on burgers. Rosanna Arquette's French accent is even worse than mine, even though it's supposedly her character's first language. Matthew Perry's love scenes with Natasha Henstridge are so ridiculously unrealistic, even the non-cynical will yawn. And the director seemed to have an obsession with pointing out Montreal landmarks, even if they had nothing to do with the plot.

Those are small things in the grand context of the movie, though. If you liked movies such as The Big Hit, this is very similar. It's not meant to be taken very seriously, so the plot turns are more for absurdity's sake than for any kind of buildup of suspense. Still, if you're looking for some lighter entertainment, it's a good choice.
26 out of 38 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Great Friday Night Flick
moviesleuth210 November 2009
Now here is a rare breed: a mainstream movie that works at just about every level without dumbing anything down or making the average viewer think too hard. "The Whole Nine Yards" is a great movie to simply sit back and enjoy.

Nicholas "Oz" Ozeransky (Matthew Perry) is a mild-mannered dentist whose stuck with a wife who hates him (Rosanna Arquette in a hilariously over-the-top performance) and a huge debt that his partner (his father-in-law) left him when he kicked the bucket. Then his new neighbor moves in. This neighbor, much to Oz's horror, is none other than Jimmy "The Tulip" Tudeski (Bruce Willis), the infamous hit-man for the Gogolak gang. Oz's wife tells him that they should rat Jimmy out to the Gogolaks to get a "finder's fee." Oz obviously refuses, but agrees to go when his wife agrees that if he does this, she'll give him a divorce. Thus begins a hilarious story of double crosses, new romances, and hamburgers with mayonnaise.

The cast is first rate. Matthew Perry is in full panic-mode, and his reactions to the situations he finds himself in (and their resulting consequences) are hilarious. Bruce Willis is perfectly cast as Jimmy. It's a typecast role, but Willis plays him with a slight tongue-in-cheek. It works wonderfully. While it allows for plenty of laughs, it also gives him an air of menace, which adds another layer to the humor. We are aware of Jimmy's capacity for violence, but the way Willis plays it results in moments of laughter mixed with suspense. Natasha Henstridge radiates a cool sexuality mixed with vulnerability as Jimmy's ex-wife who falls for Oz. Michael Clarke Duncan is also well-cast as Jimmy's fellow hit-man, Frankie. Kevin Pollack and Rosanna Arquette are so over-the-top that their performances must be seen to be believed.

But as good as this cast is, and it's great, the film is stolen from all of them by newcomer Amanda Peet. It takes a great performer to steal scenes with actors at the top of their game. But Peet didn't just steal her scenes, she walked away with the whole movie. Peet is positively delightful as Oz's ditzy receptionist, who has more of a part to play in this than anyone realizes. Peet is hysterical; her performance should have at least gotten her an Oscar nod, if not a win.

"The Whole Nine Yards" is a mix of film-noir and screwball comedy. Director Jonathan Lynn has a lot of fun with the conventions of each genre, including mixing and matching the character traits of the femme-fatale and the "good girl" (you'll see what I mean when you watch the movie). What I really liked is that the humor of the movie is not over-the-top exaggeration humor (like The Farrelly Brothers). This is more about timing and dialogue; it's like a 1930's screwball comedy without the Hays Code. To be sure, the film does not leave out the trademark of the noir genre: the twisty plot. "The Whole Nine Yards" boasts plenty of surprises, and quite a bit of suspense. Just because this is a comedy doesn't mean you can tell where it's going.

Mixing these two genres would seem impossible because more often than not, one would dilute the other. But Lynn manages to walk the line between the two opposite genres and play them both equally well. The film is well-paced, and the timing on the jokes is perfect. There are no over-the-top visual effects, and that's a good thing.

"The Whole Nine Yards" may not be classic film material, but it's highly entertaining. And with a movie like this, that's just about all that one could ask for.
4 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
"The Odd Couple" with a body count
george.schmidt27 April 2004
THE WHOLE NINE YARDS (2000) ** Matthew Perry, Bruce Willis, Natasha Henstridge, Amanda Peet, Michael Clarke Duncan, Rosanna Arquette, Kevin Pollak, Harlan Williams.

Matthew Perry is one of my favorite comedic actors in that he's kind of a throwback to the light comedy fare of Jack Lemmon and Tom Hanks: handsome, charming and an utter neurotic mess with a sharp self-deprecating wit with his nonchalant sarcastic jibing that is all play and totally harmless, with a twist of slapstick. Here all of that is on display with a finely tuned tailor made character not unlike his tv alter ego, Chandler Bing (love that name!) from `Friends'.

Oz Oseransky is a mild-mannered affable dentist whose life is in flux when his trampy French accented wife Sophie (Arquette in full blown voluptuosness) decides she wants to end their marriage. But not by the usual traditional method of divorce or anulment; instead she takes out a contract on his life Enter newly arrived next-door-neighbor Jimmy `The Tulip' Tudeski (Willis in barely restrained comic form) a hitman keeping it low since there's a contract on him by a really ticked off Russian thug (Pollak oozing Eurotrash unctuousness). But when Oz's wife approaches him he is hard-pressed to do what comes natural since Oz turns out to be the good neighbor he never had and an unlikely ally as things progress in the plotline that eventually involves Jimmy's estranged, va-va-va voom wife Cynthia (Henstridge, best known as the sexy alien in the `Species' sci-fi flicks) who wants a divorce but knows that it's more likely a hit would be necessary.

Meanwhile Oz is struck by love at first sight when he meets Mrs. Jimmy and winds up bedding her (in spite of the fact he knows who Jimmy is after some hilarious reaction shots as the story moves on with each new trickle of information on his new `friend'), which only complicates things when Jimmy announces he is going to `whack' her and Janni, the mad Russian.

Perry is a marvelous reactionary actor and plays very well off a unique ensemble including the babelicious Peet as Jill, his receptionist- turned - assassin - wannabe , who has a knack for displaying her natural assets to dissuade any potential violent threat and Duncan (recently nominated for a Best Supporting Actor as the gentle giant in `The Green Mile') has a sweet low-key turn as the hulking pal of Willis who provides some funny sight gags (including his first meeting with Perry who literally bounces off this wall of a man).

Yet no matter how game the cast is - including off the wall comic Harland Williams as another seedy character who doesn't appear to be who he claims to be - and the fast pace of the storyline, there aren't that many memorable lines of dialogue or full grasp that a lethal killer like Jimmy actually has a heart of gold for the likes of a schnook like Oz.

It would be easy to blame the less than compelling story line on screenwriter Mitchell Kapner (who gives an original spin on a plot twist and complex scenario involving dental records and a corpse) or director Jonathan Lynn (`My Cousin Vinny'), but both make the best overall. It just isn't a fresh idea (think of `The In-Laws' which set the high water mark for odd couple/fish-out-of-water hybrid with a criminal element) that seems to hook the attention of a much needed audience. But it is divertingly fun just to see Perry slamming himself silly like a pinball.
16 out of 23 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The whole nine yards of comedy.
George Parker6 August 2000
From slaptickey sight gags and pratfalls to more sophisticated humor such as Arquette's negotiation of a hit man's retainer at that moment during sex when he's most likely to be agreeable, this nonstop barrage of humor has something funny for all adults. Whatever this film may be lacking in quality, it makes up for in quantity. It's broad comedic appeal may be it's greatest virtue.
23 out of 38 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Absolutely Fantastic!!
bnl77121 February 2000
Not much to say about this one. It glistens with well developed characters and painfully funny comedy. It's simply MARVELOUS in it's writing and never looses a laugh. Well executed, well filmed (for a comedy I guess) it's one of those rare comedies that makes itself worthy of the money you pay to see it in the theaters. I'm already waiting for it to come out on VHS... it was THAT good!!
23 out of 40 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Actually very funny and entertaining, with a great cast. *** (out of four)
Movie-1214 January 2001
THE WHOLE NINE YARDS / (2000) *** (out of four)

Matthew Perry plays Oz, a down-on-his-luck suburban dentist whose wife, Sophie (Rosanna Arquette), a spoiled French Canadian, wants him dead. She has already hired a hitman, the secretary at his office, Jill (Amanda Peet), but she got to liking Oz and ended up permanently working for him. Bruce Willis is one of the nations most nitrous professional hitmen, named Jimmy. He moves in next door to Oz, conspires with Oz's spouse, and that leaves Oz in Chicago to find Jimmy's arch enemy, Ganni Gogolak (Kevin Pollak), and his estranged but beautiful wife, Cynthia (Natasha Henstridge) over legal issues.

Other important characters include Frankie Figgs (Michael Clarke Duncan), a huge, bear-like individual who takes Oz to meet Janni. There is also "Rocketman" star Harland Williams as a local undercover cop who becomes involved with the devious doings of Sophie. What do all of these characters want? Jimmy, Cynthia, and Janni are after a ten million dollar prize on each other's heads; Jill wants to become a professional hitman; Frankie wants to kill people and please his leaders, and Oz just wants out of the entire mess.

"The Whole Nine Yards" has an engrossingly entertaining setup, even without thorough character introduction. This kind of movie does not need character development as long as we can enjoy the premise. The comical atmosphere makes up for the few holes in the writing; the story moves along smoothly. Although we have seen this kind of material before in "Grosse Point Blank" and "Analyze This," never has it been this imaginatively zany and hilariously inventive.

What makes this movie so effective is the array of perfectly cast characters. Matthew Perry is hilarious in a reactive, clumsy role that clearly fits his personality. Rosanna Arquette is also flawless in an annoying, biting character. Bruce Willis is stunningly suave in a portrayal that, for the first time in a long while, creates a calm, cool, and collected character. Amanda Peet ("Whipped") and Natasha Richardson ("Species") are both immensely beautiful; all they really need to do present themselves on screen for audiences to enjoy their presence.

The labyrinthine plot in "The Whole Nine Yards" becomes more complicated than many viewers might expect. Bruce Willis eventually becomes more of an underlying tone in the film to propel the story along, and a lot of active material is discarded rather than performed. There is a cute little romantic subplot, also, but it does not feel like much in a plot where so much transpires, and the important story nuggets are scattered all over the board. Because of this, the third act suffers from a mild case of the hiccups when the initial conflict is completely resolved, only for the writers to build for yet another climax. This is an unusual structure...but this is an unusual movie.

"The Whole Nine Yards" is not a terrific movie, but it is a funny and amusing one. Compare this comedy caper to other so-called parodies released within the past year and you will see why it is such an achievement when a comedy comes around that actually fits the definition of a comedy.
9 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Entertaining
Martinkrane908 July 2008
"The Whole Nine Yards" is a comedy that is what it is ... A Comedy

This is not a epic movie or a Oscar nominee, it is a pure entertaining movie. Whit Action star Bruce Willis in a different role. (You haven't seen him like this since "Blind Date" or "Death becomes her")

Matthew Perry is hilarious in this move, and the rest of the cast has their moments, and they are using them good.

"The Whole Nine Yards" is funny and entertaining like a comedy of this sort should be.

I mean that this is a good move, and I will recommend it to others. But I also say: "Either you like this movie or you don't".
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Really Great Once
Tsnotpz30 August 2005
The problem I have with this movie, which is the only reason I give it a 9 instead of a 10, is that it's only funny once. The jokes are hysterical the first time, but each time you watch it again, they become predicted and give at most an internal chuckle. Matthew Perry does a fantastic job as a character absolutely out of his mind with fear trying to get out of the situation that he has landed himself in. Bruce Willis plays the part of an ex-mafia hit-man decent enough. I don't exactly believe he would be interested in tomatoes, but that doesn't make the punchline of that scenario any less funny. The writing of the story line is fluid and cohesive, making an enjoyable one-time viewing.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Extremely weak effort from a big name vehicle.
FATLOSER26 March 2000
When I intially came to post here I was overwhelmed by the number of glowing reviews this film recieved. Did I miss something? Is there truly some comedic magic which I failed to recognize in this picture? To make a fair determination let me first count the factors I am sure that I did observe and weigh these in the balance before passing final judgement. First off I'll list the detracting qualities: Contrived slapstick(Perry's manic energy in most places just doesn't feel real), cartoonish TV sitcom acting job from the protagonist,the worst attempt at a foreign accent on screen since "Robin Hood"(Arquette), and finally to be kind I'll omit several more and leave this as the final negative- the most unlikely romantic pairing seen since "Heavy"(Perry and Henstridge). Now I'll weigh these against the positives: um, well I honestly can't come up with any. So the verdict is in, quality still doesn't have one bit to do with the success of movies in the United States. What a pity.
5 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Rather original and not too bad
anonymous-915 July 2006
Not bad, not bad at all. I found the movie to be quite original for its genre. The plot is based on an original an innately funny idea, which gives the movie much support. The acting was, of course, not the best but there was no need for it to be good; no one was trying to make this story believable. The movie never drags on and is quite entertaining with a few nice laughs. Also, there are no annoyingly repetitive jokes. However, the movie is very predictable and reeks of "happy ending for (almost) all" from the very beginning.

I would say this movie is worth watching if one simply wants a light comedy with a happy ending. This is one of those movies made for its genre.
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The Whole Nine Yards
Jackson Booth-Millard4 October 2009
I think I was only interested in this film because of members of the cast, and I recognised the title, but that's really all I can say for the reasoning. Basically miserable dentist Nicholas 'Oz' Oseransky (Friends' Matthew Perry) meets his new neighbour, and realises it is hit-man Jimmy 'The Tulip' Tudeski (Bruce Willis), and Oz's wife Sophie (Rosanna Arquette) gets the mob to find Jimmy. Oz is having some people wanting to know what Jimmy is up to and making sure he is staying hidden, including his friend Franklin 'Frankie Figs' Figueroa (Michael Clarke Duncan), and he also finds out that Sophie has hired a hit-man to kill him. Alright, I will be honest, I dozed off and lost track of what was happening, but I don't think it matters too much anyway, I found it confusing anyway. Also starring Species' Natasha Henstridge as Cynthia Tudeski, Amanda Peet as Jill St. Claire, Kevin Pollak as Janni Pytor Gogolak and Dumb and Dumber's Harland Williams as Special Agent Steve Hanson. The performances are tame, the story is easy to lose track of and far fetched if you do get it, I just found it a very disappointing black comedy. Pretty poor!
4 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
For a movie with this much hype, it really stunk!
thetagravy1 February 2002
If it hadn't had such a major league cast, it would not have stunk so bad. The expectations were there for a good movie and it turned out to be pure garbage. I can't believe I wasted my time watching this movie and I cannot recommend that anyone else make the same mistake.
5 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
It's not worth the time.
rb123523 May 2003
I stopped half-way through the movie, got really tired of her faked accent, and the lousy plot. If you're looking for a good movie to watch, this is definitely not it. It's not worth your time, don't bother renting it.
3 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
This movie is horrible
justinl-25 June 2002
This movie is so so dull. I hardly ever walk out of a movie in the theatre but this one I had to. I just cannot believe they are doing a sequel to this thing. I guess Willis has enough star power to do about anything...even create a franchise out of crap...
4 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
" Everybody dies Oz... Tulip?"
Sirus_the_Virus1 September 2009
The Whole nine yards is a fantastic comedy that goes the whole nine yards. I thought that was a good joke too. It's a clever comedy from director Jonathan Lynn(Who did the fantastic comedy My Cousin Vinney). I didn't quite think this was as good as My Cousin Vinney, but it was still a genius comedy. Bruce Willis is actually very funny as a mobster. But, as we've seen in previous films, Bruce Willis can do anything. The Whole nine yards has tons of fantastic performances by Matthew Perry, Michael Clarke Duncan, and an actress who I will never forget. Amanda Peet. Amanda Peet is a great actress and is really funny in tons of her films. I liked The Whole nine yards because it's one of those comedies that you may not see that much of. Something different that just blows your mind. It blew mine. The best performances in the film are from Bruce Willis and Amanda Peet. Though I forgot about Rosanna Arquette, who plays Oz's(Matthew Perry) wife. Who has a French Canadian accent going on. The Whole nine yards is a hilarious and genius film that I will never forget.

The Plot: Oz is a dentist living in Suberbia living with his wife who he hates. One day, he realizes that a mobster named Jimmy The Tulip has arrived next door and is moving in. It turns out that a lot of people want him dead. So his wife forces him to go down to Chicago to find the people that want him dead, this way she can give him a divorce.
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
This is supposed to be fun?
thomas196x200030 June 2009
There ARE a few laughs here and there, and Matt Perry TRIES to squeeze some comedic juice out of this, but it's hard going.

The characters are all either too cool, along the lines of the characters in another terrible film "Get Shorty", or they are over the top phony, as in the police inspectors in this movie. Those two guys act like they are in an amateur youtube movie.

Willis falls into the former category. He is so cool in this film I think he is 1/2 asleep. If you could phone in a physical performance, he'd have done so. You could have propped him on on a stool, the same stool, and just moved the backgrounds around. In fact, they may have done that.

It's nice seeing Henstridge in here, but her efforts are wasted as well. I will agree with other posters that Arquette and her lousy accent are just irritating. But for me, the worst offender, by far, is Amanda Peet, in her wannabe hit girl character.

I have seen her in other films and she didn't strike me this way. But in this film, her mugging, her posturing and her yapping is so distracting I really, really hoped that she would get shot in this film. (It wouldn't be surprising, this is the kind of film where characters are always aiming a gun at someone and then at the last moment turning to shoot someone else--an overused trick in bad cinema that needs to stop).

I haven't seen someone show so much teeth since Denise Richards' bizarre non-stop smilefest in "Starship Troopers". "Ha ha ha, I love how you shot that guy, and killing the other guy was pure art!" Ha ha ha, more teeth and more goofy posturing.

Pollock is totally wasted. Here's a guy who can do practically anything and is reduced to babbling and, I think, confusing Ws with Vs or something--nevermind, not important and I couldn't really get it anyway.

If you like black comedy mob pictures that aren't funny, don't have engaging characters, action limited to shooting a few characters at close range, the lead character trying to bring in a little slapstick, and a bizarre "happy ending", here's the film for you. For the rest of us, try "Married to the Mob" or "Wise Guys".
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Matthew Perry as Oz was so awesome. - I cant believe that he, wasn't at least nominated for many awards
ahbras28 June 2006
Matthew Perry as Oz was so awesome. I cant believe that he wasn't at least nominated for every award. The nominations the film did get were very well deserved. I don't know what the competition was that year, but it must have been something out of this world for this movie to be so overlooked.

This is a comedy to set the acting standard for, not only, Best ACTING IN A COMEDY category, but for drama category as well.

Fabulous acting AND directing, since it is hard to get such fabulous performances without a terrific director.

Matthew Perry's timing and style is ever so right for his character, I cant imagine it being played by any other actor.

Each of the others, principle and supporting actors, were outstanding as well.

I still cant believe that this movie didn't get nominated in more than two categories.

I watch this movie even now (2006), the acting is so dead on. The story line is very funny, very entertaining, and such a nice diversion from serious reality.

Perhaps the awards committees don't take incredible story line movies seriously.
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
This is film-making by numbers
Nikos-1224 May 2000
This is a supreme example of the lazy, unimaginative film-making that has given Hollywood a bad name over the last twenty years. Matthew Perry (he of Friends fame) is Oz, a dentist with a horrible wife (Rosanna Arquette, with a 'comedy' French accent). His world is turned upside down when Jimmy 'The Tulip' Tudeski (Bruce Willis), a famous hitman, moves in next door. You see what I mean? It's creaky already. Throw in some tedious plot about gangsters killing each other and the truly unlikely idea of Natasha Henstridge falling for Perry and what emerges is an over-long sub-Sopranos crime comedy-thriller with no thrills and no discernible jokes.

The problem is with Perry, really. He is rightly praised for his role in Friends, where he is both charming and genuinely funny. Unfortunately, this film uses all the least funny and least charming aspects of Chandler, namely, his slapstick shtick and gormless loser routines. As a stinging wit, he is very good - here, he is forced to play the straight man to Willis's grinning hitman and it just doesn't work. This is isn't just a bad film, but an unforgivable waste of talent and promise as well.