IMDb > "Big Wolf on Campus" (1999) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]

Big Wolf on Campus: A Howling Good Time

Author: BloodyValNtine913 from Toledo, Ohio
3 October 2003

I absolutely loved this show! Tommy, typical jock, gets turned into a werewolf and befriends gothic Merton. Together they deal with a great spectrum of baddies ranging from a cat girl to a swamp monster, to the Buffy-spoof, Muffy the Werewolf Slayer. This show had so much going for it not just because of the great characters and cheesy monsters, but because it was just so darn funny. Every episode Merton and Tommy would exchange dialogue that played along these lines: Merton-"This is just like in [insert movie here]!" Tommy-"What happened?" Merton-"[Dialogue about career/box office/non-related movie talk]." Tommy-"No, what happened in the movie!" It happened a lot, yet it never got old. Other interesting parts include the TV-addicted older brother, Dean, Merton's hearst, and Merton's angry little sister Becky. Oh, please, ABC Family, lose the Olsen-palooza and take back Big Wolf on Campus!

The Best Show Around

Author: buffbabe23 (buffbabe23@hotmail.com)
18 December 2000

"Big Wolf On Campus" is one of the best shows that I have seen in a long time. Not only are the actors great, but every episode of the show is great, too. It has a certain quality about it- it intermixes the horrors of high school life and the "fun" stuff that you really want to see on television. I've never seen one episode of the series that made me cringe, like some of the other "teen" shows that are out there. The show has a great humorous quality to it that really makes the show what it is. Besides of the humour, the actors also make you love the show. Every single actor makes their role come alive and they all bring a lot to the show. This show is especially one of the best on the air because it really is a "family" show. People of every age can get enjoyment out of it. I guarantee that if you watch this show you will love it and fall in love with the characters themselves.

Hilarious!

Author: justin Channell (justinc79@hotmail.com) from Fairmont, WV
11 April 2000

I love this show! It is a very funny horror parody, that is like Buffy the Vampire Slayer meets Teen Wolf meets Eerie Indiana. When you watch it, you will INSTANTLY notice the talent of Danny Smith, who plays the loveable sidekick, Merton Dingle.

A Classic Story

Author: BloodyValNtine913 from Toledo, Ohio
26 March 2003

Who hasn't heard the classic tale of jock meets wolf, jock gets bit by wolf and becomes a werewolf, jock meets goth, jock and goth become buds and encounter supernatural spookies? Still with me? That's pretty much the summary of Big Wolf on Campus, still one of the funniest shows ever. They spoofed on everything from telekinesis to witchy sororities, not to mention two Lost Boys spoofs with special guests Coreys Feldman and Haim. I especially liked the Muffy the Werewolf Slayer spoof. Other than overusing the word spoof, all that I have to say is that this was a really good show that was unfortunately cancelled because Fox Family changed to ABC Family and was taken over completely by Nazi Germany, I mean the Olsen twins. Bring back Big Wolf! Please? Pretty please??????

Big Wolf

Author: Insomniac_moviefan
17 July 2002

I can't believe how cool this show is. The characters are so well developed, and the acting is good. Tommy and Merton (which I think it'd be a cool dude to hang out with) are the main characters of the show always getting in trouble with evil creatures. This show often portrays some trivia about horror movies, or about werewolves, vampires, and other creatures. The jokes aren't that bad, and every episode is hilarious.

Recommended!!! This big wolf absolutely rocks!

Fun for All

Author: BHorrorWriter from Ohio, USA
20 July 2005

Yes this show has been off the air for 3 years and I am only now getting on to commenting on it.

What can I say...I loved this show. It was entertaining, hilarious and introduced a younger audience to horror, fantasy and sci-fi..but in a light-hearted way.

Merton, Tommy and Lori are characters that were likable and fun to watch develop over the short run of the series.

I have introduced this show to my 5 year old - who just loved it! Too bad it was canceled after only 3 seasons - there could have been so much more!

My absolute favorite show of all time!!

Author: Maria100 (mar-mel@juno.com) from San Diego, CA
5 August 2003

Big Wolf On Campus is about the best show of all time!! At first, I would see commercials about it and think "That must be the stupidest show ever!". But then I watched it and totally fell in love!! It's hilarious and fun to watch. I guess it might not be for really young kids cause there are some 'scary moments' in it, but anyone like 10 and up would probably love it!!! I totally recommend it!!!

It's about Tommy, the captain of the football team and most popular kid in school and how he turns into a werewolf. He makes friends with Merton, a geek, and then Lori, who thinks his 'wolfing out' is really cool.

Unfortunatly, it is not showed on TV anymore, but when it comes back, I will be glued to the TV!

Wolf bite in the right direction!

Author: insomniac_rod from Noctropolis
19 June 2006

Ah! I have good memories for this one. I really enjoyed it's comedic touch mixed with adventure. Our main characters are really likable ; specially the two best friends. The winning formula of having the stud beings friends with the geek works again.

The situations were really funny and entertaining and a little touch of Horror didn't harm.

The direction, cinematography, and art direction are great for a low budgeter from Canada. I really don't understand why this show was canceled after three seasons.

I hope it will get a DVD release soon. I'd say it's a tender, naive Horror/Comedy show.

Enjoy!

Decent teen comedy show ...

Author: Noel (Teknofobe70) from Bromsgrove, England
16 August 2005

After working on "Sweet Valley High" and "Breaker High", I suppose "Werewolf High" seemed like the next logical step for writers Peter Knight and Chris Briggs ...

Tommy Dawkins (Brandon Quinn) is your typical high school jock -- popular, dumb and care-free ... that is, until he is out camping one night and is bitten by a werewolf. Thanks to his infliction he is forced to befriend nerdy goth outcast Merton J Dingle (Danny Smith), and together they work to conceal his lycanthropy and battle whatever evil forces set sights on the town of Pleasantville. As awkward as teenage years always are, Tommy finds that it is even more so when you're a werewolf -- especially since he wolfs out every time he gets close to Stacey Hanson (Rachelle Lefevre), the girl of his dreams. Later, Stacey is transfered to another school and Tommy sets his sights on the new girl, kick-boxing Buffy-wannabe Lori Baxter (Aimée Castle).

I caught a couple of episodes of this series when it was on, and it seemed like a pretty silly show that was aimed primarily at the teenybopper crowd. I was attracted to it at the time because obviously it featured werewolves and also it had strong similarities to Buffy, which I enjoyed. In the end I was put off by the silly WWF-style fight scenes, and the slapstick humour didn't really appeal to me all that much. However, when I watched the episodes back-to-back recently I began to really enjoy it. Many of the jokes are silly, but I'll admit it does manage to make me chuckle quite frequently. The constant movie references score particularly highly with me. The characters themselves are quite amusing ... Tommy really is an idiot, and Danny Smith who plays Merton J Dingle has become a kind of cult icon. Together the two of them form an interesting comic team.

It turns out there actually is an awful lot to enjoy here, especially if you happen to catch the series on a good day. At it's worst the show is like a kid's version of Buffy without the same level of atmosphere or wit (although it does seem to be conscious of this, throwing in direct references to the show). One problem is that the comic actors and guest stars often aren't particularly restrained, they're out there in full-on "I will make you laugh" mode which can come off more annoying than amusing. But hell, there are certainly worse things you could be watching.

If you're looking for an interesting, dark and brilliant werewolf series, check out Frank Lupo's Werewolf. But if you're just after an entertaining, amusing and diverting version of "Teen Wolf", then this is the best there is.

pretty good show

Author: Joshua Bozeman from Evansville, Indiana
27 January 2001

This is a very good show on Fox Family network. I think it has only aired there and YTV (I think that's the name?) in Canada. A lot of the shows on Fox Family come from Canada in some manner. This particular show is filmed in Canada. I think all the production is based there. Big Wolf is really funny, in an odd kind of way. A lot of the stories and jokes are unoriginal, and probably could have been written by a high school english student, but it doesn't matter...the show totally works. The cast works really well, and the characters, you can't help but like them all...or, well, most of them atleast. The show has a nice look and a nice premise. If you like the show, visit the links page here at imdb.com, because there are petitions to save the show and get Fox Family to "buy" a third season and basically pick up the show's entire production tab themselves. It's highly doubtful, because they'll be losing money, of course...but, we can hope.

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]