IMDb > Just Visiting (2001) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 10:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [Next]

Underrated

Author: the_extremist
17 October 2005

This movie doesn't get enough credit. I found it in a DVD bargain bin after never even hearing about it on cinema, which is a great pity. Jean Reno is in a different role for a change, and he excels - his comic timing is perfect, and together with Applegate and the dumb slave, you are left wishing you could see more of them. You also develop a real hate for Applegate's boyfriend. I laughed solidly the entire way through at the way the characters battled to fit in with modern living standards. Everything from the concept to the jokes, even the graphics, is done really well, and I would highly recommend this to fans of sci-fi comedies or even romantics. 8/10

Surprisingly good remake!

Author: Mika Pykäläaho (bygis80@hotmail.com) from Järvenpää, Finland
7 October 2002

You may laugh at me if you like but I still think "Les Visiteurs" of 1993 is one of the greatest French movies I've ever seen and yes, I've seen quite a lot of them. The idea of a remake for an American audience seemed pretty pointless and stupid because the original was so bloody excellent and entertaining comedy already. Before I saw "Just visiting" I wondered would it be easier just to teach the people of America how to read the subtitles instead of making a whole new film.

Last night I watched this one simply out of curiosity and it turned out being rather great. My brother said that it was even better and claimed that the remake was definitely a sensible thing to do because the idea of "Les Visiteurs" was marvelous but the film was incomplete and filled with flaws. I don't necessarily think this one's better but it's not much worse either.

At least it made me laugh just as much and Jean Reno and especially Christian Clavier were fantastic and even Christina Applegate (Kelly from the highly popular tv sitcom "Married with children") didn't disappoint me. So all I can say is "Just visiting" was a splendid effort and worth a watch. Hilarious scenes, absurd characters and downright crazy plot. I wish I would also had a chance to see "Les Couloirs du temps: Les visiteurs 2" because I haven't found it anywhere in Finland. Shame.

The funniest movie I've seen in years.

Author: Nick from Zürich, Switzerland
11 December 2003

Jean Reno at his Gallic best, although anything with him in it is worth a look. Some scenes are distinctly Python-esque. Excellent entertainment, suitable and appealing to all ages. This version of the movie was made after the original French language version was a hit in France - it's also worth watching after this version (providing you don't mind English subtitles, or understand French).

Very funny trip to the future by a royal ancestor

Author: Jerry Powell from Simi Valley, CA
11 January 2004

You have to watch this one at least twice or more. Some of the humor will escape you the first time. Some of it is almost slapstick, but it gives a very humorous view of some of the culture clashes and learning experiences that could occur if an ancestor from very far back were to accidentally be transferred to our modern times. It is actually very entertaining, and I would highly recommend it. Even children over the age of 10 or so might enjoy it (it mostly pretty unoffensive, but a little gross in some parts), but some of the humor might go over the heads of younger ones (that might actually be good, however).

Hilarious!

Author: VitaliBird from Canberra, Australia
31 March 2003

My god, I saw this movie yesterday and I'm still laughing at some of the scenes as I recall them from my memory. This was a hilarious light-hearted movie, perfect (in my opinion) for any sense of humour. It is definitly worth seeing (I saw it on The Movie Network). Perfect for gatherings and general good times.

Four stars on the VitalBird scale. (****) (out of 5, not 10).

This "What If" Comedy Is Good For Some Real Laughs

Author: jhclues from Salem, Oregon
23 September 2001

Magic, as well as evil, is afoot in 12th Century France, and when the two are combined to effect the sinister scheme of an unscrupulous individual the result is a comedic journey for a Nobleman and his lackey as they are transported into the 21st Century in `Just Visiting,' directed by Jean-Marie Poire, and starring Jean Reno and Christina Applegate. Count Thibault (Reno) is about to marry Princess Rosalind (Applegate), daughter of King Henry (Richard Bremmer) and his Queen (Sarah Badel), but at a prenuptial banquet the Earl of Warwick (Robert Glenister), who covets the fair Rosalind, coerces a witch (Valerie Griffiths) into casting a spell that will enable him to usurp Thibault and make Rosalind his own. The plan goes gravely awry, however, and Thibault subsequently engages the talents of an English Wizard (Malcolm McDowell) to set things aright. But the Wizard proceeds to muck it up even worse, sending Thibault and his slave, Andre le Pate (Christian Clavier), into a `Tunnel of time' from which they ultimately emerge in Chicago, 2001, where they encounter Julia Malfete (also Applegate), the spitting image of Rosalind, who turns out to be a direct descendant of Thibault. And it becomes the task of the Nobleman, Thibault, to find a way back to his own time. In the meantime, he and Andre attempt to negotiate this world of the future with a Medieval mind-set that puts them at odds with the inanimate objects and humans that surround them. And it becomes a trial by fire for the brave Count, and a laugh riot of uproarious proportions for the audience.

This stranger-in-a-strange-land, fish-out-of-water scenario has been done before, to be sure, but it's given a fresh face here compliments of Poire, who sets a good pace and keeps the story on track, and the talents and impeccable comedic timing of his cast, especially Clavier and Reno, who play so well off of one another. Much of what transpires is predictable-- the way Thibault and Andre react to a modern city replete with technology, and specifically things like automobiles, light switches and television-- but they always manage to take it one step further, which makes the humor spontaneous and genuinely funny.

Reno is perfect as Thibault, playing it straight and allowing the humor to naturally evolve from the character's reaction to a situation rather than going for the purely physical humor. Reno, in fact, demonstrates a real talent for acting through reacting, which makes his character believable and adds to the humor of the film. He never allows Thibault to lose that 12th Century logic, willing to attest to his own nobility, for example, to anyone who will listen, and backing it up with a verbal inventory of his assets, which includes things like fifty barrels of olives and, of course, Andre. It's not a performance that requires a lot of depth, but for the film to work it had to be done right, and with precision, and Reno succeeds admirably on both counts.

Clavier, on the other hand, goes straight for the jugular with an all-out assault of slapstick and physical humor that takes it right to the edge and works perfectly in effecting what was intended: He makes you laugh out loud. Reminiscent of a cross between Peter Sellers' Clouseau-- though not as subtle-- and the best of Monty Python, Clavier creates a memorable character, who as the `property' of Thibault gives a real perspective and context to the humor of the story. Some of his `discoveries' of the modern world will have you rolling on the floor. And again, the fact that he plays the character straight and not just `for' laughs adds significantly to the overall humor of the film.

Christina Applegate provides a welcome presence as Rosalind/Julia, and while not a stretch for her as an actor, by any means, she lends a quality to the film that could be easily overlooked, but would be quite apparent as a missing element without her. She has a natural, charismatic manner that makes her endearing and sympathetic, and it's a good, solid performance through which she creates a credible, well rounded character.

The supporting cast includes Matt Ross (Hunter), Tara Reid (Angelique), Bridgette Wilson (Amber), John Aylward (Byron), George Plimpton (Dr. Brady), Bill Bailey (Thibault's Father) and Clare Welch (Thibault's Mother). A comedy that successfully blends the fine art of comedic subtlety with physical gags, `Just Visiting' is everything a comedy should be: Funny and entertaining. And it does it without venturing into over-the-top Farrelly Brothers territory or by employing the abstract brand of hilarity often offered by the Coen Brothers. It's a film that succeeds on it's own merits, and does it splendidly. It's a funny one you don't want to miss, and that's the magic of the movies. I rate this one 8/10.

A Toast to the French!

Author: LCShackley from United States
12 November 2007

Many of the comments here are the usual gripes about remakes. Well, I've never seen "Les Visiteurs" so I'm just looking at this film on its own, and I must say that I was greatly entertained.

Of course, it's a lightweight plot, but Reno and Clavier sink their teeth into the time-travel jokes and manage to be endearing as well as thoroughly crazy. (Especially Clavier, whose scenes among the rich folks reminded me a lot of the Three Stooges' many dinners with the snobs.) Christina Applegate is sincere and appealing, her boyfriend and his bimbo are appalling, and the Chicago scenery is GREAT! (I have to admit my prejudice in that regard, having lived there for many years.) Considering that the remake was done by the men who made the original film, what's the problem? Think of what it would have been like if it starred Adam Sandler and David Spade, for instance. Zut alors!

A mediocre americanized knock off of the original.

Author: Ed Bonawitz from Austin, Texas
2 January 2003

Whenever a foreign film is good enough for the american film industry to want to copy it they usually botch the job by trying to americanize it. If you have ever seen the original, "Les Visiteurs" then you probably know what I am talking about. This american version would have done well to stick to the original story. It's unfortunate that the the writer (also the original's director) tried to "fix" something that wasn't broke.

Not as good as the original, but not as bad as one might fear

Author: sarastro7
12 January 2005

Just Visiting is an American remake (starring the same two main characters) of the excellent French "Les Visiteurs" from 1993. The remake is of course not on par with the original, which is a perfect comedy. The U.S. version is much duller, and marred by several things, such as Jean Reno being too old to successfully reprise his role, and many jokes simply not being very funny.

It gains, however, on two important counts. First, Malcolm McDowell's wizard, who has a much larger and more interesting part in this movie than the original wizard did in the first movie. Second, Christina Applegate's character. She is surprisingly good, and a delight to watch. She's never been a terrible actress, but here she's extraordinary. She plays a kind of good-hearted, intelligent and yet naive character that, to my knowledge, is quite different from the other characters she's played. Where she's often been an air-head bimbo, here she's genuinely appealing; even endearing.

It still does detract from the movie that, to a great degree, it merely goes through the motions of the original movie, trying to mimic the jokes and japes, and very often failing miserably. Still and all, it's worth watching and is better than it might have been.

I rate this one 7 out of 10. You should see the original, though, which is far more inspired and also gives a great impression of spontaneity. I rate the original version 10 out of 10. It's that good.

Absolute fun

Author: Larry Allen from Florida
17 November 2002

One of the funniest of the offbeat, little advertised movies I enjoy the most. Underrated and under appreciated by American audiences, slowly making its way to cult status, this tale of a French nobleman and time travel, at the hands of a slightly daffy sorcerer, played by Malcolm McDowell takes place mostly in Chicago. A twist on the "I am my own Grandfather" theme brings the nobleman face to face with distant Granddaughter, who he saves from a decision she would have lived to regret. This is a remake of the French film, "Les Visiteurs". Jean Reno shows his talent for comedy and wit. Thankfully he and Christian Clavier teamed up for the remake. Clavier was allowed to develop a little in the American version. The rest of the cast are enjoyable, and bring together a tight, clean story. Worth the video rental. Good clean fun.

Page 1 of 10:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [Next]