IMDb > The Radicals (1990) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

The Radicals More at IMDbPro »

Praise from a Mennonite

Author: menno-9 from Gaineville, FL
20 October 2004

As a Mennonite, this has to be my favorite B-movie: appropriate for a simple-living faith! Apart from the geek-chic factor of the intimidating Eberhard Hoffman being played by Spock's dad, the film captures the emotional appeal of Anabaptism: an earnest desire for religion without worldly politics woven in, their temptation by and rejection of violence, the persecution from both Catholics and Protestants, the romance of simple living.

I'm no film student, but I think the romance between Michael Satler and Margaretha is touchingly developed, and the dramatic opening sequence where Hans Blaurock and friends march through the snow to arrive just in time to try to stop an infant baptism adds an amusingly ironic touch of Hollywood.

But don't expect to find the movie theologically persuasive

Excellent movie based on true story of the Anabaptists

Author: (elrenaud@yahoo.com) from Pensacola, FL
2 September 2002

An excellent movie about the lives of the Anabaptists - Michael and Margaretha Sadler. Michael was a monk and Margaretha a nun - they both left their religious orders in search of a New Testament faith. Their brief marriage was terminated when Michael was burned at the stake and Margaretha was drowned. Christian film all should see.

A Beautiful Love Story and Tale of Inner Courage

Author: JDahlNV from United States
25 May 2010

I first developed an interest in this film because of my interest in the career of Norbert Weisser, the lead actor who plays Michael Sattler. I came away with a deep appreciation for the story, the characters of Michael and Margaretha Sattler, and the people that brought this film to reality. The love story is probably the most well acted and believable I have ever seen. The on-screen chemistry between Norbert Weisser and the beautiful and gracious Leigh Lombardi is a tangible thing. The story of their faith, their beliefs and the inner courage they had is even more powerful.

The supporting cast is fabulous -- everyone turns in terrific performances. However, I must say that I am partial to Norbert Weisser as Michael Sattler. He brought forth a wonderful sensitivity to the character of Michael Sattler. Norbert often plays a villain on the screen, but his quiet and calm manner as Michael was exceptionally well acted.

Even though I had limited knowledge of the Reformation and the Anabaptist movement, and had never heard of Michael and Margaretha Sattler, I got so caught up in this film that I developed and designed an entire website based on the film, the historical characters and the location -- the film was that well done, watchable and memorable. The entire cast and crew really pulled off an under-rated masterpiece with this film that is enjoyable on many levels and one you will want to watch over and over.

Yes, this is a faith-based film, but it is also a well written and produced historical film, a love story that rivals the best of them, and a testimonial of having the inner courage of standing true to your beliefs no matter what the price. You will love this movie!

This Couple Shaped Church History

Author: John Oliver (EquippingLeaders@gmail.com) from United States
19 August 2007

Here is the journey of a man and a woman that actively put their faith in the Lord Jesus Christ during the Reformation Era.

They were used by God to lead others into the practice of adult baptism. That was contrasted to infant baptism. They were called Anabaptist.

This practice was violently opposed by the leaders of the church and the state.

They continued amidst persecution, suffering and ending in death as martyrs for their faith.

This movie makes personal and real a critical season of church history.