IMDb > Brigadoon (1966) (TV) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Brigadoon (TV) More at IMDbPro »

It wasn't a dream!!

Author: captgeoslady from Florida, USA
30 October 2004

I am another one who remembers this wonderful production when I was a child. I also had the cast album. I think my favorite song was "My Mother's Wedding Day" sung by "Meg Brockie" - Marlyn Mason. What a hoot! Notice that was the one song that was left out of the Gene Kelly/Cyd Charisse version! I guess it was just a touch racy. Its funny, but for years I couldn't get anyone to believe that there had ever been another version of Brigadoon besides the Kelly/Charisse version. I almost thought that I had dreamed it, but then I would look at the album cover and KNOW i was right! Even my mom didn't believe me - and she had watched it with me!

And yes, I dearly wish this was available on VHS or DVD!

YIPPEE!!! There are 9 pieces of it on YOUTUBE - including Charlie singing Come To Me Bend To Me to Jeannie!!

My personal nostalgia

Author: (sunray@psnw.com) from Auberry, California
11 April 2004

I was the audio engineer on this production and enjoyed every minute of working on it. Robert Goulet was extremely professional and very nice to work with, as were all the cast members. Fielder Cook was an excellent director and catered to my wishes for carefully crafted audio. We shot the production at CBS Television City, in Los Angeles, plus location shooting. It was aired on ABC. Unfortunately, I did not keep a copy of it. I believe ABC destroyed the original but, if anyone out there ever locates a copy, please let me know. I would dearly love to have it in my files. Thank you.

Ray Kemper, CBS Audio Engineer, retired.

Fine atmosphere and wonderful production

Author: Marta from United States
30 April 2000

Like a previous commentor, I also remember seeing this in the late 60's, whether on it's first showing or a later one I'm not positive, but for over 30 years it's lived in my memory as a wonderful experience. Very different than the Hollywood version, this Brigadoon was quietly romantic and vividly atmospheric. With Robert Goulet and Sally Ann Howes, of course there was singing, but not in the Hollywood production number style. They sang with an inner power that didn't overpower; in fact, I had quite a crush on Robert Goulet after seeing this TV production. It evidently is not available for purchase anywhere, and I would dearly love to see this again.

Comment on Brigadoon

Author: (robert_22544@hotmail.com) from United States
2 October 2006

I watched the movie in 196?. I believe it was a Hallmark production. I immediately sent for the vinyl record which I still have. It was one of the finest musical productions I have ever seen. Is there anything that can be done to convince them to show this wonderful movie again and make it available for purchase? I fell in love with Sally Ann Howes after seeing that movie. The entire cast was magnificent.I would love to see it again.Perhaps if enough people were to contact Hallmark they could be convinced to play it again on TV.Strangely enough I have never seen the Gene Kelly and Cyd Charisse version but somehow I feel that it would not compare with this one.

better than the movie

Author: silvrdal from OKC
15 July 2005

Okay, I'm speaking out of my hat here. I was only three when this aired and I don't remember having seen it, but I do have the cast album and it is tremendously good.

I can only imagine what it must have been like to see Edward Villella dance. Goulet and Howe are perfect leads, and Tommy Carlisle has a delightful tenor.

This must have been recorded for posterity. Why on earth it isn't on DVD...

Recreating it as a dance vehicle for semi-singer Gene Kelly and non-singer Cyd Charisse may have seemed like a good idea, but this one needs a singer's treatment, and the TV broadcast should be available.

Whom do I write?

Brigadoon 1966 Goulet Faulk version.

Author: ww76 (ww76@sbcglobal.net) from United States
19 July 2007

I'm from Scotland, & the Kelly version just didn't have it, even although it was entertaining, but the 1966 Goulet version was more realistic & caught the essence of the highlands, I know because, I was a youth hostel member & my happiest memories are when my group of mates & I would travel all over the highlands, magic. With movies that run hundreds of times on our TV over & over again, I can't believe they keep this gem under wraps. I would pay any one $100 if they could send me a copy taken in the 1966 version. Again it's difficult to believe the powers at be pass up the opportunity to make millions of dollars on this film. I remember the movie played twice in the one day, & as I sat there enjoying my vicarious journey to my childhood homeland my heart just swelled with joy. Walter White email < ww76@sbcglobal.net.

legal download

Author: nataloff-1
15 March 2010

The entire "Brigadoon" can be downloaded legally for private use from www.archive.com, the website of the U.S. National Archives. Apparently the producers failed to renew the show's copyright and it fell into the Public Domain (disclaimers are posted on the website). It's a beautiful production consistent with mid-1960s TV syntax and is especially valuable for its long, unbroken takes where one can watch the actors actually construct a sustained performance. That said, the inevitable cuts to the book undermine the already-fragile premise of a village that comes back to life every hundred years. This "Brigadoon" needs to be watched with a knowledge of the original -- which was, itself, hard to swallow except for (sigh) romantics.

One of the best and most touching musicals of all time.

Author: mdanielson-1 from United States
17 March 2007

Musically this is the definitive version. All leads demonstrate outstanding vocal technique and dramatic showmanship. It is some of Goulet's finest singing, Falk plays the perfect shallow friend, and Howe,the comic female, and the townsfolk tenor are fantastic.They convey all the romance of the musical, sadly lacking in the Gene Kelly version,(hampered by weak vocal performances and eccentric character portrayal, sorry Gene & Van). Although the production values were that of television tape at that time, the performances are so strong that a vivid memory remains.I hope that a tape of this performance will surface someday so that the full intent of the production can be shared. Until then there is only the LP.

Everything you've heard is true!

Author: jeffquis from United States
16 January 2011

I was recently able to see this, and was thrilled by it. It is far superior to the MGM film version. It was produced on videotape, in color, and is a combination of actual outdoor filming, and interior studio shots, all of which blend together pretty well. The score is arranged by Irwin Kostal and it is gorgeously sung and played. Bob Mackie did some impressive costume designs. Best of all, the cast is perfect in every regard. The original script by Alan Jay Lerner, is adapted by someone else, and I believe they improved it. Most of the additions are comedy lines for Peter Falk's character. For instance, when he meets Meg (Marlyn Mason), she tells him, "Wait till you seem me in me dimity bodice". Jeff (Peter Falk) replies, "Yeah, I bet your bodice will be more dimity than anybody else's". Nothing is drastically changed scene- wise, but they rearranged the order of certain plot events. The choicest moments of the broadcast...Spunky Marlyn Mason singing "My Mother's Wedding Day", the glorious singing voices of Goulet and Sally Ann Howes, and Edward Vilella's fiery sword dance. Most of the score remains intact, including four more numbers than the MGM movie. The only major numbers missing here are Meg's "Love of My Life", the chorus' "Jeannies Packin Up", "Once In the Highlands", and "The Chase is really changed to an instrumental. Altogether a very memorable BRIGADOON. It is sad that this is not commercially available.

Brigadoon TV version...

Author: symfny from United States
13 October 2007

I have remembered this movie being on TV when I was a child and have never forgotten it. We had the soundtrack that I played often, really enjoyed all the music. In High School we did Brigadoon and I played Tommy. (I was a far cry from Robert Goulet in appearance or voice, but I was the only one in my class who could sing!) As luck would have it a few months ago I connected with someone on the internet who had made a copy of the movie using a movie camera of the TV screen and provided me with a DVD copy. It is not the best recording, but since this is probably the only version I will ever be able to enjoy, it is priceless. Actually, the sound is terrific, the video certainly not DVD quality but passable for someone who had enjoyed it as a child. Great fun to watch and brings back many fond memories.