IMDb > "Farscape" (1999) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Farscape"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Farscape" More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 16:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Talk about raising the bar!

Author: bschober from Canada
20 October 2004

It just doesn't get better than this. Farscape is easily one of the best series to ever grace the TV screen. Even if you're not a regular sci-fi fan, it's nearly impossible to not enjoy the intelligence, wit, superb acting, and sheer beauty of each episode. I used to think that Joss Whedon had the market on pop-culture fantasy pretty much cornered, but Farscape raises the bar even higher in terms of its characterization and integral humanity.

Farscape has it all: adventure, drama, suspense, and a romance unlike any other. It's an unforgettable roller coaster ride, and the DVD box sets are of exceptionally high quality with numerous special features.

Loved it, want it back!!

Author: dunnmountain from Nevada, USA
19 October 2004

It took me a short while to get into this show. I find that most people who don't like it, just don't GET it. Farscape is a deep and intense show with a lot of small twists and turns in a very complicated plot. It is NOT a show you could watch one or two episodes of and know what was going on. They do a great job with the meager budget they work with and create a very livable "viable" view of the far and distance universe taking the level up above Star Trek or Star Wars. Probably my favorite show of all time, and well worth the time it takes to understand what's happening.

A little something for everyone. Action, adventure, drama, romance, etc.

Bring Farscape Back!!

Annoyingly enjoyable

Author: Ripe Peach from Glasgow, Scotland
30 April 2001

I watched about ten minutes of each of a couple of series 1 Farscape episodes and hated it. Cliched plots, characters blatantly lifted from other shows, and *muppets*. Might as well watch the Phantom Menace.

However, after persistent nagging from a hooked friend, I gritted my teeth, sat down and actually watched a whole show. Oh wow. Oh WOW.

Farscape isn't a plot show, it's not a gadget show, it's not even an effects show. It's primarily a character show, and it's a great one, aimed squarely at adults. The characters are often space operatically heroic, but are also believably flawed. They are petty, affectionate, selfish and giving. They are also commendably consistent, and both bear grudges and remember debts.

I find the acting of *all* the main cast outstanding; expressive, genuine and naturalistic. They give it everything, and fully commit to every scene and every line. I understand that viewers in the USA might find this strange when compared to the mugging, grimacing and ostentatious emotionalism that passes for acting on domestic US shows. It's a matter of taste, and I find the reserved but expressive acting of Farscape far more palatable.

Possibly the biggest strength of Farscape is the chemistry between the cast. The amount of physical, emotional and sexual tension rivals that of gritty TV verite rather than fluff SF. Babylon 5 characters are as well written, but not (sorry Babfans) as well acted or as involving.

Farscape has justifiably been accused of having cliched plots and characters. This it does, but no more so than any Star Trek franchise, and even Babylon 5 occasionally lurched into genre hell. True, you'd be hard pressed to tell Andromeda and Farscape apart from a brief precis of the plot and characters, but this only illustrates that there are certain genre elements that are now classic rather than cliched. Farscape starts from a tried and trusted design and then implements it astonishingly well.

On the other hand, it *does* have muppets...

Incredibly smart

Author: landscapelady from United States
9 January 2005

This show is one of the few out there that has layers upon layers for the viewers to enjoy. Well written and incredibly addictive this show takes you away and keeps you there. The characters draw you in from the begin episode, but also allow you to jump in at anytime. There is never a moment when they are not evolving into more complex beings. The challenge that many shows face is continuing the development of the show while not losing the initial concept. Farscape smashes this theory into pieces as it evolves and provides the viewer with challenging action, and sometimes even killing off well loved characters. This show should have never been canceled. It was a rare gem.

WOW, can't even start to cover FARSCAPE!!

Author: gkpedersen from Denmark
11 April 2005

I had heard from other people that Farscape was good, so when I had the opportunity to watch the two final episodes in the whole series, I took it, and I haven't regret it since. I only regret, that I took me so long to discover the BEST SCI-FI Series on EARTH. (It will be difficult to beat this one). By watching these episodes, it made me want to know what had happen prior to the final, how it all had started, I just wanted more of the same.

So I bought all the episodes on DVD, and what a blast, it does not just take you to the edge, but way behind your imagination. It makes you wonder........what if? It plays with your imagination, it's like an adventure, into the unknown for the 45 minutes an episode last.

It is well written, and the characters are really well played by the actors. Yes Farscape covers it all; friendship between species's, love at first sight, hate, sorrow, happiness, loyalty, betrayal e.c.t., you name it.

The red line in this, is that as long you have an open mind, you will accept anything that happens, anything is allowed, because it is Sci-Fi. It only took one episode, to get me hooked forever in the Farscape universe, and I can strongly recommend watching it!.

Farscape, the best sci-fi show ever created!

Author: ScreamerMM from Denmark
24 January 2007

I am a die hard science fiction fan. I mean really, i read it i watch it i even listen to the theme songs. The Farscape series and the finishing mini series is the absolutely best science fiction show i have ever seen. The show only aired very shortly on cable TV here in Denmark, so i bought all of the episodes on DVD.

Pay homage to this show, it does almost everything to a degree of perfection. Ben Browder and Claudia Black are a great set of actors with very impressing chemistry. Farscape beats everything, Star Trek, Star Wars... The only other show that is keeping me occupied right now is Battlestar Galactica, which is also god, but not nearly as much.

If you have not wathced this show yet, do it. For me... it never gets old.

The best original science fiction I've seen in a great while.

Author: Ernie-17 from Orlando, FL
17 September 1999

This has got to be without a doubt, the best original science fiction show I've seen in a long time. I had rather high hopes for seaQuest (written by Rockne S. O'Bannon as well), and was disappointed. My first impressions of "Farscape" were "Voyager" / "Battlestar Galactica" clone, but that lasted about five minutes. I think my favorite characters are probably Pilot and Moya herself, although Aeryn is a close third. I do wonder that everyone frequently defers to John's leadership since he is brand new to the situation (not to mention that area of space) and seemingly does not understand even the basics of Leviathan tech.

I do love the occasional pop-culture reference, such as John's statement "This place looks like Dagobah." Upon being asked where "Dagobah" was, John smiled at his joke and replied that it was a place where great warriors were trained. I half expected the reply to be "Wars not make one great". It's a good, subtle blend that keeps us awake, but doesn't inspire wild "easter egg hunts" for other allusions.

I am very impressed with this show, and I hope the Sci-Fi channel will continue to produce this excellent series.

First class SciFi entertainment

Author: slohmann from Dortmund, Germany
5 July 2004

Saw it and liked it from the first episode on. The German translation is not recommendable but the original is really a great piece of work (art), a fact, which was unfortunately not noticed by the TV-channel SciFi. If you like creative, witty and funny entertainment you will love FARSCAPE! The Jim Henson company brought in all their resources and skills to create a completely strange, alien world on your TV-screen. The overall plot is somehow old-fashioned but the ingredients of this SciFi-opera are superb. Different styles and types of movie-making have been mixed to create a very addictive show. Characters and types of creatures are worked out very carefully. The plot is unforeseeable and very varied, so you never get bored.

The experience is more than real.

Author: Svetlin Slavchevski from Plovdiv, Bulgaria
12 November 2004

Not only John Crichton is lost in the distant part ot the Universe. Watching the movie you feel like you ware there, together. Everything, the living ship, the aliens are made to look so different, even beyond the imagination, but somehow they are also realistic and lovely. I have been grown up with StarWars and Blake's -7. I used to think I will never enjoy another sci-fi move so much again, but I was wrong. Farscape is much better than all I have seen before. If you decide to watch it, please, start from the beginning!

You will never find the "way home" if you miss the first wormhole...

Perhaps the best sci-fi series ever filmed for TV

Author: hardbop from Rochester, New York
6 October 2004

Farscape is not the easiest series to get into. You really need to see it from the beginning which is probably one of the reasons the ratings were not that great when it aired on the Sci-Fi Channel.

There is a continuing story here and the characters and their relationships to each other are complex. But this is what makes this show so compelling. Once you get into the flow of this series it is impossible to not be totally entertained and involved.

My recommendation is to rent or buy the box set of the first year and try it for yourself. You will not be sorry.

A new Farscape movie will be shown on Sci-Fi this fall. Apparently it will begin where the series left off. Hopefully this will lead to other movies but at this point, who knows?

Page 1 of 16:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]