IMDb > The Astrologer (1975/I) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

The Astrologer More at IMDbPro »

Early Glickenhaus is a total head scratcher

Author: udar55 from Williamsburg, VA
12 June 2013

Let me see if I can explain this one. Alexei (Bob Byrd) leads a secret government group called InterZod, which calculates a person's life path via their Zodiacal Potential. Their main focus is an Indian guru (producer Mark Buntzman), who may or may not be evil incarnate, and Kate (Monica Tidwell), who may or may not be the second coming of the Virgin Mary and is married to Alexei. Director James Glickenhaus' debut feature isn't indicative of his later action packed work at all, but it is certainly one of the oddest films I've seen recently. Based on a 1972 novel by John Cameron, THE ASTROLOGER throws so much stuff at the audience in the first 25 minutes that you'll need a notepad to keep up. It doesn't help that there is some chaotic editing going on. I felt just like the U.S. Senator character when a woman says to him, "None of this makes much sense to you, does it?" I'm sure the book has lots of grand ideas, but Glickenhaus just doesn't have the budget to pull it off (it looks like he got a reel of footage of real footage from India and shot the rest of the India scenes in the woods of New York). That said, you'll never be bored and will probably get a laugh or two out of it (the rescue mission to get Kate from a gypsy camp had me dying). I give it a 10 rating just for the insanity.

Would you play me the transmission on the Crab Nebula?

Author: John Seal from Oakland CA
5 February 2009

Right from the start, you know this is going to be something special. Suicide Cult begins with voice-over informing us that astronomy has been honed to a precise science by mastermind Alexei (Bob Byrd, sadly NOT the nonagenarian senator), who has dubbed his breakthrough 'zodiacal potential'. We then get solarized footage that cuts between India, Bethesda, Maryland, and Arlington, Virginia, as director James Glickenhaus attempts to weave a story of world-shaking import revolving around the second coming of Christ and a CIA spin off called Interzod. Parts of the film play like one of those old Sunn Classic 'documentaries' such as In Search of Historic Jesus or The Outer Space Connection. Alexei's gal pal Kate is played by Monica Tidwell, a Louisiana-born former Playboy centerfold, and many of the cast have vaguely southern accents, suggesting Suicide Cult was shot below the Mason-Dixon line. This was 25-year old Glickenhaus' first feature, and as a first feature shot on a shoestring budget, it's not entirely terrible, though it can't hold a candle to his next effort, the mind-melting 1980 grindhouse classic The Exterminator. Nevertheless, this is still nutty enough to recommend for hardcore fans of bad '70s cinema.

Five-year endeavor yielded a fairly positive result.

Author: EyeAskance from fabulous Las Vega$!
14 August 2011

There is a covert government agency called INTERZOD which documents "atrological potential", and tracks individuals whom they deem "astrologically privileged". The head of this agency is married to a wispy little thing who can't understand why her husband won't make love to her. Meanwhile, a man in India is being closely watched by INTERZOD, as his "astrological disadvantage" may be strong enough to consider him a potential Antichrist-type being.

It took me five years to get through my ancient VHS copy of this film, with each viewing putting me about ten minutes further into the story than my previous attempt...truly, this is one BORING little movie...that is, until you've passed the halfway-mark. My determination to finally watch this from beginning to end actually paid off...the second half puts the pieces of the puzzle together(if a tad clumsily), and renders the entire project redeemed of its terminally dull intro. It's not an especially GOOD film, but it has interesting foundations, and is surprisingly professional in its microbudget formulation. I neither wholeheartedly recommend nor dissuade viewing SUICIDE CULT, but you might opt to give yourself a five-year-plan to watch it should it fall into your hands.

5.5/10

Mildly fascinating trash.

Author: HumanoidOfFlesh from Chyby, Poland
11 July 2010

"Suicide Cult" has to be seen to be believed.This utterly strange,ludicrous and somewhat fascinating pile of trash mixes astrology,CIA intrigue,Jim Jones-type mass murder and the second coming of Jesus Christ.So the Second Coming of Messiah is about to begin in ten days.There is also a secret branch of CIA called Interzod and the creepy leader of evil sect,who orders his followers to commit mass suicides.It seems also that the blonde girlfriend of the main character Alexei Abarnel is the reincarnation of the Virgin Mary.Extremely bizarre and disjointed horror film made by James "The Exterminator" Glickenhaus.The action is boring and the scenes set in India look very cheaply.5 out of 10.

One OBSCURE 70's Flick!

Author: jesslb
15 October 2002

I saw this film at my local videostore. The box looked awsome, it had an obscure title, and I'd never heard of it before, so naturally I rented it! Well, it's true when they say don't judge a movie by the cover! This film, directed by James Glickenhaus of 'Slaughter of the Innocence' fame, is a muddled, slow, and hard to catogorize film about a super-intelligent astrologer named "Alexi" who is on the verge of a scientific breakthrough. He thinks he has found a way to merge astrology and advanced computers into a sophisticated science to benefit mankind. How a subplot about a strange cult leader with hypnotic powers who has something to do with the "Second Coming" fits into this plot is beyond any casual viewer!

As you probally can tell the plot is strange to say the least but it is VERY intriguing. If you find this film, rent it just to have your mind baffled for 82 minutes!