IMDb > Slap Her, She's French! (2002) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Slap Her, She's French!

Slap Her, She's French! More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]

Better than most teen comedies in the past few years!

Author: Christopher Smith
1 May 2005

I remember seeing the trailer for this movie a few years ago and wanting to see it. It was originally supposed to come out in the summer of 2002, but ended up sitting on the shelf for a while. A few months ago, I caught it on the ABC Family Channel under the title SHE GETS WHAT SHE WANTS. While SLAP HER...SHE'S FRENCH is a much better title, I can see why it was changed. I guess it's not very PC, but then again, the movie itself isn't very PC, which is one of the reasons I liked it. It wasn't afraid to be a bit edgy. In addition to being edgy, the film is also quite over-the-top at times. While some may be bothered by the over-the-top scenes, I enjoyed them. They fit in well with the tone of the picture.

This is the the kind of movie MEAN GIRLS wanted to be. When one thinks about it, it's somewhat unfair that MEAN GIRLS got a theatrical release while this went straight-to-television since this is far superior. It's far better than most teen comedies that have come out in the past few years. **1/2

Well acted and funny female cast driven teen comedy

Author: dlgart from Seattle
22 May 2007

Many of the negative reviews of this film are obviously written by francophiles who have had their feathers ruffled by the original title and apparently haven't actually seen the movie. Slap her She's French makes fun of generically American and more specifically Texan culture, FAR more than the French. I was delighted(and surprised)to find this a very well acted and cleverly written teen comedy that provided a vehicle for showcasing the talents of a number of young actresses. The film does stereotype and titillate but it is a teen comedy and they tend to do that. Those who are offended by such things should consider therapy to get over themselves or simply avoid this genre. Personally I was too busy laughing to be bothered.

Strong performance from Jane McGregor

Author: Greg from Australia
16 August 2009

I don't think that this movie has aspirations to greatness, but it was enjoyable enough, and has some very good performances.

Top of the list for me was Jane McGregor. She really gave her all in playing Starla who was, after all, not a particularly sympathetic character. She has a real flair for comedy - at the tender age of 19 - and is very attractive as well. I will be looking out for Jane's work in future.

I also enjoyed the minor role from the little brother, not too overdone, and the mother with the ever present "iced tea".

Overall, a pleasant diversion, fairly lightweight, but with some good work from the cast.

I thought it was funny

Author: pierceddoomy from United States
3 June 2006

Yes it might not be the best movie ever made, but for mindless entertainment, this is a good movie. It made me laugh to see a high school princess's world throw into a frenzy (no, I am not a cynic and don't hate all high school princesses). I kinda liked it, and it kept me awake at work. I am not suggesting going out and buying it; far from it. But if you get a chance to catch it on TV, and are in the mood for mindless entertainment, watch it. It tries to capitalize on the genre of movies like "Mean Girls", "Man of the House", and "Bring It On". I know that I might be clashing with some of your beliefs about this movie, but your comments made this out a lot worse than it was, which is just a funny teenage movie.

Something a little different

Author: Robert W. (Robert_duder@hotmail.com) from Ontario, Canada
9 June 2005

When my girlfriend picked this movie it was called "She Gets What She Wants" and I had never heard of it before other than Piper Perabo (Coyete Ugly) was in it. So basically I didn't have any expectations going in but I like teen comedies. I was pleasantly surprised, it didn't blow me away but it also didn't suck. It was just in the middle somewhere with decent acting, a so-so plot and some genuinely funny lines.

Slap Her, She's French AKA She Gets What She Wants is the story of Uber Popular girl Starla Grady. She dreams of being the next Diane Sawyer, and is doing everything she can to get known. She wins at everything, head cheerleader, beauty contests, the popular boyfriend and sets all the trends at school. In order to beat out the competition at a beauty contest Starla announces to her town that her family will be graciously hosting a foreign exchange student from France. When Genevieve Le Plouff arrives she seems like the perfect opportunity for Starla to impress everyone. Slowly with some very sly moves Genevieve begins to move her way into Starla's life and her position in the social ladder. Starla begins to realize that Genevieve is purposely overtaking her and it's working. With the help of a former adversary Starla will discover a disturbing secret about the supposed French foreign exchange student and give it her all to overcome her.

Lead actress Jane McGregor who plays Starla does a great job at being the bitchy "Clueless" type girl, obsessed with only herself. Throughout the course of the film she manages to learn a little about being a little nicer but overall she keeps her character true to herself. She's spoiled and kind of an anti hero but fun anyways. Piper Perabo does a decent job at playing the faux Foreign exchange student even at 27 years old!! She plays wicked pretty well but never really gets down and dirty which you kind of expect her character to get. Most of the comedy is either physical comedy or one liners surrounding sexual comments and mistaken English which is still pretty funny. The humor doesn't get really dirty like some teen comedies go with. It's not a bad movie and you won't necessarily be disappointed with it but it's mostly forgettable offbeat and very low key. 6/10

Good. Yes, Good!

Author: Karl Self from Yurp
14 November 2005

OK, I'll go out on the limb here by stating that I really liked this movie, and was pleasantly surprised by it. This flick simply does what it says on the cover: a comedy that is actually funny, rather than gross or grotesque. There is a real story, real development, a real turn-around, real acting; the plot is funny, as are the quotes and dialogues ("Our love dried up like a three day-old croissant!") and the running gags (such as the students adopting "Ouais!" as their interjection-du-jour in an attempt to emulate Geneviève, or Starla's alcoholic mum's fixation on her "special" ice tea); in fact, and especially considering the movie's provenience and target audience, the humour is often astoundingly dark. This is all the more laudable as both cast and production are sort of B-listish (by fame, not performance).

My only brickbat would be that I thought that Starla's magic conversion from teenage queen-bee to "real person" with concomitant change of boyfriend was predictable, moralistic, unnecessary and naff.

Actually pretty darn funny

Author: tramsbottom from Cornwall, UK
25 June 2003

Like most people I groaned when I saw the trailer and, ahem, the title for this movie. But I rented the DVD on a whim and hey, turns out this is pretty darn funny after all.

It's not subtle, but it is good fun, which is more than can be said for other teen comedies from 2002. The two leading ladies are genuine stars of the future (McGregor is that rare breed of beautiful actress who isn't afraid to humiliate herself for the sake of comedy) and some of the jokes are laugh-out-loud funny.

If you liked Drop Dead Gorgeous or The New Guy, you'll love this.

fun movie

Author: jessie-8 from Kent, England
2 April 2004

First off if you're looking for something smart and oscar worthy, you probably wont enjoy this movie.I thought it was great, it's a fun movie with good actresses and a good storyline, i've enjoyed piper perabo's work in the past, although i dont think this was her best role i still thought her performance was good.

*SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS*

Basically the story's about a french exchange student (Genevieve) who ends upstaying with Starla and her family, starla's popular and going out with the football teams hunky quarterback. Soon after, Genevieve has her claws into Starla's friends, her boyfriend, her parents, her spot on the cheerleading squad and her position as the most popular girl in school. She even gets Starla arrested for drugs and attemptint to murder.with help from her brother she exposes genevieve as a crazed wannabe.

Go and rent this as its worth a look. *** out of *****

Surprisingly smart

Author: KiteVega from United Kingdom
29 March 2008

People are entitled to their opinions, but I can't quite grasp how this has ended up with a measely 4.8 stars. This movie is actually good! I'll be honest, when I saw the trailer in the cinema (it was given theatrical release in Britain, I'm not sure about anywhere else!) I though 'Oh, here we go, another brainless American sex-comedy.' This isn't completely removed from the truth, but my first thought was certainly very unfair. This is actually quite a smart movie. The plot in a nutshell is as follows - Starla, the popular head cheerleader, has her 'perfect' life picked apart by the conniving exchange student that, ironically, Starla became involved with for her own selfish reasons. As you might expect, mayhem ensues. Contrary to the title, there is very little mockery of the French - no, all the mocking is aimed squarely at American culture, particularly that of the 'popular' high school student. This culture is lambasted, parodied and ripped to shreds at every turn with hilarious effect - the Beef Pageant full of grinning, dancing cowgirls; Starla's refusal to see the usefulness of learning a foreign language; Karl Fuller, the meat-munching quarterback (no pun intended) with a head full of steak, rather than brains; and of course Starla's dippy acolyte friends who loudly demand of Genevieve 'Do you speak American?' The characters are all wonderful and played surprisingly well, considering none of them are massive 'names'. Jane McGregor does a wonderful job of Starla, making her likable despite her flaws. It's a shame McGregor is not really given more of a chance in mainstream Hollywood as she played this role very well indeed. Perabo is fine as Genevieve, bringing across a smug innocence even if her accent is a little bit 'Music Hall', shall we say. Starla's family are great - Brandon Smith is good as Starla's wholesome pursuits-type father, and Julie White is really funny as Mrs Grady who is rarely seen without her Thermos flask of Long Island Iced Tea. Jesse James is brilliant as Starla's precocious little brother Randolph, and Starla's trashy gal-pals are also played to a tee. One thing you can say about this film is that it never glamorizes the stuff it pokes fun at. An obvious comparison here is Mean Girls that came out 18 months or so later - another sharp pastiche of teen culture and the stuff that goes with it - but come on, be honest. In the aftermath of that movie, how many girls did you know who suddenly wanted to become 'lip gloss chicks'? Apparently, at my school, particularly in the new Sixth Form (thank God I'd left by then!) there was a sudden surge of 'clique' behavior, as well as some stupid, misguided girls who insisted on calling themselves 'The Plastics.' This is why I think Slap Her... is superior to Mean Girls, though I'd be stomped for saying it out loud. I can't imagine anyone wanting to mirror shallow, selfish, oblivious Starla; big-mouthed, stupid Tanner; or two-faced, spiteful Ashley. This movie was so good at skewering the object of its main mockery it has rendered its target as completely unappealing. Slap her...is a surprisingly smart, comedic gem with an agenda, and deserves far more recognition that it gets.

Title Change

Author: toedancr05 from United States
31 December 2004

I saw this movie back in 2002 when it came out, luckily I went to the cheap theater. Imagine my surprise when I saw a preview on ABC for a new movie, the "Premiere," they were saying. I watched the preview and the more times I saw it the more I insisted to family and friends that I had seen this film. They pointed out it was an "ABC Family Original," and this was the premiere, no way could I have seen it. Raunchy cheerleader moves, flippy hair, French student, girly cat fight, lots of posturing in front of mirrors, yeah I've seen this movie. However, ABC decided to get a little more PC (guess we're on better terms with France,) and they changed the title to "She Gets What She Wants."

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]