IMDb > Gone in Sixty Seconds (2000) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Gone in Sixty Seconds

Gone in Sixty Seconds More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 50:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Great movie - stop giving it such a hard time!

Author: carldaly
3 January 2005

This movie has taken a lot of stick. It was slated by critics when it came out and was blamed for wrecking Nicolas Cage's career. The thing I don't think people get is that it's not meant to be an epic, Oscar contender of a movie, it's just some brilliant "Bruck-buster" action at its best. Fast cars, quick editing and a great soundtrack - it does exactly what it says on the tin. Also, for anyone who likes cars its a pure treat. It has everything: Ferraris, Mercs, a Hummer and lets not forget Eleanor! I think you'd be hard pushed to find a better action movie, and personally, a better movie at all!! Then again maybe that's just me!

Perfect casting and an precise sense of excitement make this flawed film successful. *** (out of four)

Author: Blake French (film321@altavista.com) from USA
5 July 2000

GONE IN 60 SECONDS / (2000) *** (out of four)

"Gone in 60 Seconds" is an energetic, slick, stylish action picture with high octane star power and lots of awesome looking automobiles. If you are a viewer interested in cars this production, by producer Jerry Bruckheimer ("Con Air," "The Rock"), is worth seeing just to feast your eyes on the glossy vehicles. Although the film secretes a stench of weakness in many areas, its precise sense of action and excitement make it a moderately successful summer thrill ride.

The film stars Giovanni Ribisi ("The Mod Squad") as a young crook named Kip Raines, who, as the movie opens, fails to deliver a long list of expensive cars to the powerful criminal Raymond Calitri (Christopher Eccleston). When Kip's life is threatened because of such, his older brother, Randall "Memphis" Raines (Nicolas Cage), a retired but skillful car thief, is called upon to complete a task in exchange for his brother's survival: steel fifty cars-specified by model, color, year, and make-in only four days.

Memphis disburses the first three days recruiting a team of bandits to help him pull off the heist. The crew includes Sara "Sway" Wayland (Angelina Jolie), a sexy yet gruff retired car swindler knowing Memphis through previous business, a fellow named Mirror Man (T.J. Cross), the aging and wise Otto Halliwell (Robert DuVall), as well as Tumbler (Scott Caan), Atley Jackson (Will Patton), Toby (William Lee Scott), and Donny Astricky (Chi McBrde).

Contributing to the film's drive and tension is a subplot involving two police detectives, Roland Castlebeck (Delroy Lindo) and Drycoff (Timothy Olyphant), who suspect from previous experience that Memphis and his crew are up to no good and keep an extra close eye on them.

There is not much time for character development here; the audience gets to know these people though their rugged lifestyles and assume tough personalities through the films hard core, stylish atmosphere. To make matters even worse for the film, the dialogue fails to define the characters with a gritty cultural tone. I am not stating I think profanity and vulgarism is necessary for thrillers to flourish; I actually honor the director's decision to sustain from extreme foul language in a movie that could have very effortlessly earned an R-rating. However, I do believe in a movie such as "Gone in 60 Seconds," to strongly develop the character's enlightenment, dialogue needs to be believable and authentic.

In spite of problems, the characters are effective due to the top notch, perfectly cast performers responsible. Nicolas Cage's melodramatic performance is intense and convincing. Angelina Jolie's sleazy appearance is completely appropriate here. Delroy Lindo is deliciously sturdy and believable. Giovanni Ribisi, Scott Caan, Robert Duvall, Will Patton, and Christopher Eccleston provide persuasive supporting roles.

The film contains standard structure, with a satisfactory first act that elaborates on the story's style and the character's motives, sets up a fast-paced theme of action, but lacks depth and strong character introduction. In the second act we run into a few more problems: the story wastes time during much of this segment, never really building up for the third act. While the middle of the movie occupies much time, and a sex scene provides a solid mid-plot, not a whole lot happens. The third act is pretty much a sheer adrenaline rush containing furious wall-to-wall excitement and one of the most intense car chase sequences ever filmed.

The soundtrack to "Gone in 60 Seconds" contributes a great deal to the inspirational action scenes. It is scenes like the car chases that makes this movie work in spite of several destructive faults. Dominic Sena, whose career has mostly consisted of directing commercials, has an appealing style and a decisive attitude in "Gone in 60 Seconds" which will grant audiences with two hours of commotion, thrills, and excitement…but not much more.

Entertaining, But Shallow

Author: ccthemovieman-1 from United States
2 June 2006

This is one of those films I liked quite a bit the first time, but didn't think that much of it on the second viewing. I guess enough of it was just good for one look. Maybe it was the immature attitude that prevailed throughout the film that wore thin. But I am not going to knock the movie: it's entertaining and definitely worth a look if you have not seen it.

If you like cars and chase scenes. t's worth multiple looks. In fact, the car chase scene at the end is one of the best you'll ever see. Nice soundtrack in here, too, and a pretty good cast with Nicholas Cage leading the way.

The bad news? Well, here's yet another case of Hollywood making "bad guys" into heroes. We're supposed to root for people that steal cars? Hello??!!

very underatted action film

Author: leiny03 (leiny03@hotmail.com) from wisconsin, us
17 October 2003

gone in 60 seconds is a very good action comedy film that made over $100 million but got blasted by most critics. I personally thought this was a great film. The story was believable and has probobly the greatest cast ever for this type of movie including 3 academy award winners nicolas cage, robert duvall and the very hot anjolina jolie. other than the lame stunt at the end this is a perfect blend of action comedy and drama. my score is **** (out of ****)

Action packed film taking your typical car chase to new levels of excitement.

Author: jasonw-5 (jwiltse@hbi.com) from Minneapolis, MN
12 June 2000

What's in a name? If the name is Jerry Bruckheimer expect it to be filled with action.

In producer Bruckheimer's latest film, Gone in 60 Seconds, its all about the nomenclature. With character monikers like Kip, Sway and The Sphinx and cars idealized with names like Diane, Sue and the elusive Eleanor, it's only the non-stop action that keeps you from wanting to just play the name game.

Not a deep script by any means, but it is a great vehicle for action as Nicolas Cage as Memphis Raines, along with Angelina Jolie and Robert Duvall, comes out of car-thievery retirement to save his brother's life by stealing a list of 50 exotic cars in one night. A remake of the 1974 cult hit, this film may not be destined for the same cult status but it is entertaining.

Surprisingly, it's the action that keeps you watching not the acting. Although loaded with stars, none of them have standout performances, including a very weak performance by one of my favorite up and comers, Giovanni Ribisi. Even Jolie, coming off her recent Oscar win, is just a token love interest with hardly any screen time.

Can a series of beautiful cars and the car chases they become involved in make a great film? I think so. The film is a pleasure to look at and although one particular scene takes you into the realm of unbelieveablity, the action is non-stop and the suspense is compelling. Just be wary of other drivers fighting for a pole position as you leave the theatre.

3 1/2 out of 5

Awesome, brilliant and a hell of a movie!

Author: Jman4ever from Norwalk, Ohio
24 February 2003

This movie has it all. Great woman, cool scenes and of course the cars! The cars were the best thing in the movie. I think that Cage and Jolie performed brillantly; as well as the whole cast. There was humor, excited, shooting. Even though it's a remake I believe that this movie is one of my favorite. I recommend any to go see this movie because it's awesome with it's cars and Angeline Jolie ;)

Not trying to be an epic: just a fun, simple B-movie.

Author: Zeke Pliskin from United Kingdom
24 December 2008

As much as I like big epic pictures - I'll spare you the namedropping - it's great to kick back with a few beers and a simple action flick sometimes. Films where the plot takes a backseat to the set-pieces. Films where the dialogue isn't so cleverly written that it ties itself in endless knots of purple prose. There are HUNDREDS of films that fit the bill... but in my opinion Gone In Sixty Seconds is one of the better ones.

It's an update of the movie that shares its name. It also shares that picture's ethos, but not quite it's execution. Whatever was great about the original has been streamlined. Whatever was streamlined was also amped up thanks to a bigger budget. Often these kinds of endeavours are recipes for complete disaster - see the pug-ugly remake of The Italian Job for one that blew it - but here, thanks to a cast of mostly excellent actors, Sixty succeeds.

The plot and much of the dialogue isn't much to write IMDb about. Often you'll have scenes where the same line of dialogue goes back and forth between the actors, each of whom will voice it with different inflections. A lot of people found this annoying; I find it raises a smile. Each actor gets a chance to show off his or her definition of style here, with Cage, Jolie and Duvall leading the pack of course (and it should be noted that it's also amusing to see Mrs Pitt not given first billing here). The chemistry between good ol' Saint Nick the stalwart (see date of review) and Angelina leads to a couple of nice moments.

The villain is not even a little scary - I've seen Chris Eccleston play tough-guy roles before so I know he can handle them, but I think he was deliberately directed to make his role inconsequential as not to distract from the action. We know the heroes are going to succeed, somehow; we're just sitting in the car with them, enjoying the ride. I think a lot of these scenes were played with tongue so far in-cheek that it went over the heads of a lot of people giving this a poor rating. In fact, I wouldn't have minded some fourth-wall breaking winks at the camera: it's just that kind of movie.

All this style and not so much substance - something that often exhausts my patience if not executed *just* so - would be worthless if the action wasn't there. And for the most part, it is. Wonderfully so. I've noticed that it seems to be a common trend to be using fast-cut extreme close-up shots to direct action these days. I personally find this kind of thing exhausting. I prefer movies like this where the stunts are impressive enough to not need artificial tension ramping by raping tight shots all the time. I've been told that Cage actually did as many of the car stunts as he could get away with without losing his insurance (in real life I mean - his character clearly doesn't care) and it shows. The man can really move a vehicle and this is put to good use in the slow-burning climatic finale where he drives a Mustang into the ground in the most outlandish - and FUN - way possible.

So yes, this movie isn't an "epic, life-affirming post-9/11 picture with obligatory social commentary" effort. The pacing is uneven, some of the scenes could have been cut and not all the actors tow the line. But car movies rarely come better than this. So if you hate cars... why are you even reading these comments?!

I'd take it over the numerous iterations of "The Flaccid And The Tedious" (guess the franchise) any day. 7/10

great? no. fun? hell yes!

Author: MichaelM24 from California
22 July 2001

GONE IN 60 SECONDS was one of the most fun experiences I've had at the theater in the last couple of years. Though a little too long and not really full of action until the final twenty minutes, it moves well and has a good cast: Nicolas Cage, Will Patton, Robert Duvall, Giovanni Ribisi, Delroy Lindo, Christopher Eccleston, and others. Angelina Jolie is the only weak point. She's in desperate need of a talented hairstylist, and while she's hardly a good actress, she really doesn't do much in the film when you look at it, which is a good thing. But the film has style and a good pace, with some great theft scenes, well-spotted humor, and a final chase that (while not among the greatest ever filmed) is certainly a wild ride. GONE IN 60 SECONDS isn't a great film, but it sure as hell is fun.

Old fashioned cat and mouse chase with a charm

Author: watchhawk from New York then Reykjavik
16 September 2002

This movie doesn't tell you any new truth or treat your refined taste with amazing characters. It is just an old-fashioned chase movie of the good and the bad guys. The circumstances and the grand theft of 50 cars over one night is of course out of this world but it doesn't matter because Nicolas Cage and Angelina Jolie charm us out of it. After watching hundreds of car chase movies in my lifetime I didn't think yet another one would lighten my eyebrow. I was wrong. The smart and humorous execution of the car and car/helicopter chases was a great fun to watch; a good honest adrenalin booster. Perhaps I am little generous but I give it 8/10 for all the fun.

bored in sixty seconds

Author: dragokin
9 March 2014

Gone in Sixty Seconds came on TV the other night and proved me right in avoiding it in theaters back in the day. Nicolas Cage offers his standard performance, Angelina Jolie gives a lesson in "wooden acting", while the rest of the crew duly follows.

There is nothing essentially new or wrong in this movie. It introduces us to a world of small time crooks, car thieves and semi-competent police officers. Since the story revolves around cars, you might even enjoy it if you're into cars yourself.

I'm always impressed how such mess of a movie gets funding and then even earns money at the box office.

Page 1 of 50:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]