IMDb > Deep in My Heart (1999) (TV) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Deep in My Heart (TV) More at IMDbPro »

Love the Husband's Character

Author: ssmcg from United States
18 December 2005

I love the way that they portrayed the husband of the natural mother (Geraldine). He was as compassionate as any character I have ever seen and made me proud to be part of the human race. Holding his wife blameless for the rape (which wasn't necessarily the norm during the 50s and 60s); willingness to accept his wife's decision about what to do with the black child--even encouraging her to keep her baby ("it's just a baby"); saving clues of the child's whereabouts for the birth mother, which she found after his death. Truly a touching story and a laudable portrayal. I hope the real life character was equally as compassionate.

a beautiful experience

Author: rimjak from Hollywood, CA
25 December 2005

A touching telepic, this was perfect for it's original Mother's Day debut. It stars Gloria Reuben (of ER) as woman who grew up in a foster home and now, with her own family life bustling, becomes ever more curious about her biological mother. Flashbacks help the story unfold, from the early '60s where a white woman gives up a black child conceived after a rape. For most of the period that follows, this child lives with a black foster mother (Lynn Whitfield) and grow fond of each other. As a teen, she is adopted by a well meaning but woefully unprepared white liberal (Alice Krige) who gains a black daughter but loses her skittish boyfriend in the process. The young black woman rebels, and eventually runs away, never to return. Now as as she yearns to know the truth and to find her mother, she revisits her foster mother and has a chance encounter with her adoptive mother. Anne Bancroft is superb in a Emmy winning performance as the now aged biological mother. Ruben shines in the lead, and Whitfield and Krige lend fine emotional support. While there are some tear jerking moments in the end, the film itself is more the story of a quest than a simple tearjerker melodrama. Strictly a TV movie, but a very fine one.

Nice companion piece to "A Family Thing"

Author: dhalgren74 from Tampa, Florida
7 April 2005

A working-class Boston, married, white woman is raped by a black thug and has to give up the resulting child for adoption, despite the fact that she loves her. The girl grows up knowing two adoptive mothers -- one black, one white -- but when she becomes a wife and mother herself, finds that her children only know half of their family history, something the girl sets out to rectify.

The only element of this TV-movie that doesn't quite work is the sappy, schmaltzy 'women's music' (keening vocals sung to slightly-ethnic new agey themes) which needlessly well up at virtually every emotional moment. The picture stars four quality actresses in a strong story of interracial adoption; it's really an insult to their powers as thespians to insert wailing cries of sadness or elation as if the audience won't 'get' what is happening. They did this a lot in old Hollywood films, making many of them unwatchable today.

I would have liked to have seen more scenes with Alice Krige as Barbara's mom during her adolescence; not quite sure why it got such short shrift. Otherwise a good film with a similar theme to "A Family Thing", which stars Robert Duval and James Earl Jones as brothers who never knew that they share the same mother.

A search for the truth, good or bad.

Author: Fran Mahan (franiof@aol.com) from USA
15 February 1999

A search for a woman's natural mother, turns up not one mother, but three. The search was started to secure medical history for her children, but turned out to be a release of her deep-set emotions. I liked this movie for many reasons. It was based on actual events and shows the value of not giving up, although I felt her search for the truth was "a bit too easy".

Yep! This is a very touching film, based on a true story.

Author: TxMike from Houston, Tx, USA, Earth
21 June 2002

The story spans 35 years. White woman is walking back from movies at night, gets raped by a black man in a dark alley, being Christian she does not want to have an abortion and plans to integrate (no pun intended) the new child into her existing family. But social pressures cause her to decide it would be better if her daughter, who looked more black than caucasian, were given for adoption, presumably to grow up in a black family. But as fate and shaky politics would have it, after 7 years she was taken away from her black foster mother, who wanted to adopt her, and sent to a caucasian family in Wisconsin. Family strife cause a divorce and she was raised alone by the mom. At 17 the girl gets pregnant by her boyfriend, she moves away from home, loses contact with her adoptive mom, marries the father, and they raise a family of 5, apparently happily. After 17 years, at age 34, she decides to find her birth mom, whom she locates through mom's brother, and with help of an internet search. It is a tearful and joyful reunion, her birth mom tells her she always loved her, just wanted to give her a better chance for a good life. In the end there is a "family reunion", a fairly large crowd, all having a good time, all different colors and shades of faces. Unspoken, but the message was clear, that we can all get along, color of your skin is not important. A made-for-TV movie, overall very well done, a good story, a worthwhile message.

I loved this movie!

Author: nancy-50 from U.S.A.
12 September 2004

I am the adoptive mother of a black son and he was not legally ours when I stumbled upon this movie while visiting my in-laws. I held him on my lap and cried during much of the film. This is a wonderful movie! I would watch it over and over if I could get it on DVD.

The white adoptive parents in this movie were clearly not people who wanted a child to love and I was sorry that the heroine had to live with them and never felt truly part of a family. However, to see her biological mother embrace her and have her realize at the end how much a part of several families she was warmed my heart. It contains a message of brotherhood and humanness that should touch all people.

A single parent still raised her

Author: keshabrown1 from baltimore, maryland
26 June 2011

The first foster mom was told that she couldn't raise her because she was a single parent and did not have enough income and that they only income she was getting was the money for being a foster mom. However she ended up with a mom that husband left her because he didn't wan't to relocate or whatever reason.The mom had no job or education and had to find work and go to school.So she should have stayed with the first foster mom.It was so hard back in those days to be black and get treated right so that was really the deal.The movie was a good movie overall .I did feel bad for the mother that raised her at the end because of how the daughter did her the mom lost her husband for her but she was rebellious and only thought of herself .