IMDb > Backlash (1998) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Backlash More at IMDbPro »

The most inspirational film since Schindler's List

Author: twanstown from New York, New York
14 May 2003

This is the kind of movie that can make a grown man weep. The truly emotional dialogue is backed up by awe-inspiring performances by Todd Strauss Schulson and the kid that looks like Steven Soderbergh if he had hair, an obesity problem, and was addicted to mescaline. The amazing visual effects by David Lebensfeld rival those of Titanic, not to mention the flawless editing. The movie could have used more pussy, but I guess it didn't fit into the plot. Anyway, Backlash is the ultimate movie experience. Even Spielberg wishes he could make a movie as good as Backlash.

I got whiplash, from BackLash!!!

Author: anonymous from New York
18 February 1999

I love this movie. First of all, I am a huge independent film fan. And, the directing, editing, and special effects are amazing! The performance of Michael Koerner in the shower is simply Travolta-esc. I feel Todd Strauss-Schulson will explode out of Scorsese's shadow one day. Again, I love this movie!

An incredible accomplishment in filmmaking, this film harnesses the feelings of the characters and spits them right at the audience.

Author: anonymous from laurel hollow, usa
8 February 1999

Brilliant display of filmmaking on the part of director Todd Straus-Schulson and editor David Lebensfeld. The incredible duo hit off big on their first production together and did an incredible job of making this high speed suspenseful masterpiece. This story is about `duality of good and evil'. The acting leaves nothing to be mentioned but superb pacing and interesting camera angles compensated for the lack of talent. Overall, this is one of my top five favorite films this decade.

The greatest special effects since Star Wars

Author: Griff-22 from New York, New York
10 February 1999

The acting demonstrated by Todd Strauss-Schulson and Paul Hoffman are phenomenal. As well as the seamless editing and amazing special effects by David Lebensfeld. By far, one of the best independent films of 1998. Two thumbs up, way up.