IMDb > "The Potato Factory" (2000) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"The Potato Factory" More at IMDbPro »

One for Bryce Courtenay fans...

Author: Philby-2
18 July 2000

The Potato Factory is definitely true in style if not completely in content to the novel.

It gives the typical Courtenay piecemeal character development, in stuttered episodic fashion, telling the same old story, with slight variations on locations, period characters etc. As I said, if you're a fan of Courtenay's work, you'll will no doubt love it.

For me, I wish I watched the Graham Kennedy special which aired on the same night. 4 out of 10.

A bit disappointing

Author: Arnie Mellor from Launceston, Tasmania, Australia
30 July 2000

After all the pre viewing hype I found this mini series to be not as good as I had hoped for.The story line was confusing and the acting left something to be desired.Lisa McCune in her first major role tried hard to be the heroine but she did not fit the part as a London cockney and her accent was false.However for an Aussie production it was quite good viewing and such series should be encouraged.

Alas......

Author: Spookychick from Adelaide, South Australia
20 July 2000

.... the second part really doesn't live up to the beginning. As soon as the characters get to Australian shores it's all too easy and the characters just seem to become passengers. There are no surprises in the second part and some of the supposed twists in the plot are so obvious you can see them coming a mile away.

It's still worth watching, but only just!

Not bad for an Aussie mini-series!

Author: Spookychick from Adelaide, South Australia
17 July 2000

Well, I had very low expectations of this mini-series, mainly because there had been so much fuss made about it and the promos were starting to get on my nerves a little. So I sat down to watch just a little bit of the first part and found myself enjoying it.

It's certainly not a very original story and the acting is not Oscar winning (or even Emmy award winning), but it's entertaining enough. It has almost a Dickensian feel to it, and certainly many of the London/Cockney accents are straight out of Oliver Twist, but it's worth a look and much better quality than virtually every other Aussie mini-series you are likely to come across.

I just hope the ending lives up to the beginning!