IMDb > Zenon: Girl of the 21st Century (1999) (TV) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]

Don't Be Ashamed

Author: aleara_cerridwyn from United States
13 July 2006

This movie came out when I was maybe, 6 or 7 years old. I fell in love with it, and the sequel "Zenon the Zequel." Truthfully, after a while I outgrew the Disney Channel, especially once the DCOM started to get beyond corny. However, Zenon game out in the "golden age" of DCOMs. Is the movie a bit unbelievable? Yes, of course it is. Is it cheesy? Yeah, the lingo makes you cringe sometimes. I watched the movie again last night though, and realized that this movie has something that the recent DCOMs doesn't: good acting. Kirsten Storms is amazing as Zenon, with her insanely expressive eyes. She works as hard as she can to make the words she's saying not make you laugh, especially the 7 odd times she exclaims "Ceedus Lepeedus!" As of last night, I've decided that I shouldn't be ashamed if I still like this movie. The clothes are hilarious, since in the future we apparently have flashbacks to the 80s, and same with the words (Stellar, etc). This movie also has a plot that you can't predict right away. When Lutz puts the disc into the Class 4 system, we don't know what he's doing, and neither does Zenon. And the idea of "grounded" meaning being sent to Earth is brilliant. Overall, this movie is a bit hyper and a bit corny, but it's one of the few DCOM that I've watched recently that actually has a somewhat believable plot and great acting. So those of you around my age: don't be ashamed if you still love this movie. It's much better than being in love with High School Musical.

This Show Works. . .but, Why?

Author: Web-7 from Philadelphia, PA
2 July 1999

"Zenon" aired on the Disney Channel earlier this spring and was, to my surprise, one of the best made-for-TV teen movies I have seen. True, the film is quirky, and its humor is effervescent; but its idiosyncrasies seem to add to the enjoyment, along with a story that is strong enough to contain its own silliness. The movie draws you in unexpectedly and, as an adult, you will probably think to yourself at some point in the show, "I can't believe I'm watching this - AND liking it!" I think the appropriate term here is "overbrain." The scenes are very well thought out, the acting is good enough, and the story matches with all the other elements to create that magical "likability factor" which makes the movie quite a success. Therefore, the behind-the-scenes overlords who wrote/produced/directed this film must have had - a brain!

On a lighter note, this film makes for a great drinking game [soda pop, please!] Here are a few rules to get started... 1. Whenever you hear "Ceedus Lapeedus" 2. Every time Greg strikes a pose meant to slay a young lady's heart. 3. Whenever you see Protozoa (two drinks), or hear one of his songs (three drinks) Big Unanswered Question: Didn't anyone else in the crowd know the code needed to upload the "undo" file??

Finally, no the movie should not be made into a TV series because the elements which came together to make the movie work would be very hard to capture week after week. However, if it does happen - Protozoa should marry a lead singer, she could be called - Amoeba!

Great movie for anyone! Watch it today.

Author: taybug_1st from Bakersfield, California
20 July 2000

I first saw this movie with my younger siblings during what I thought would be a typical family night. Boy was I wrong! This movie was so entertaining that I found everybody including myself completely engrossed with Zenon and her escapades. We especially love Protozoa and his #1 song "Supernova Girl". We were all up dancing and singing along. Kirsten Storms is a talented young actress, whom I'm sure will go far. I loved this movie and recommend it to anyone who is looking for a movie that is funny, clean, and actually has a storyline that is not too typical or corny. I have seen it many times and will watch it many more I am sure. If not for the movie itself, for Kristian Rex(Protozoa) he is definitely a great addition to Zenon. I know my younger siblings can't wait for the sequel, and neither can I!

This movie is STELLAR!

Author: sarahbelle77
24 December 2000

Wow, I haven't seen a movie this good and with this much energy in a long time! Kirsten Storms is just amazing as Zenon. Her confidence, just-do-it attitude, optimism and energy makes the viewer feel alive. This movie is a great adventure, and if you're like me, will leave you feeling alive and inspired!

Zoom Zoom Zoom!

Author: Jamie-70 from Chicago
29 June 2000

The best original Disney Channel movie hands down! A hilarious romp! Kirsten Storms is excellent in a break-through performance. However, the character that steals the show is the diabolical Margie, who was played by Lauren Maltby. Margie always is trying to woo Greg, and dis Zenon. It's so funny! And remember, it wasn't you he liked. It was the car!

***** 5 Stars!

This never grows old on my family.....

Author: Seth Nelson from (Near) D/FW Airport, Texas, USA
7 September 2006

The Old Disney Channel (back when they were DECENT !!!!!), blasted off into space with a remarkable series of films based on the book series with the same name. It's called "Zenon: Girl of the 21st Century," and it's about a 13-year old girl who lived in space and she goofed up with the code so much, she was "grounded" to Earth, a place that at first she didn't like, but turned out to love that planet and enjoy it too. Also, remember when boy bands OWNED the airwaves in the late 90s/early 00s????? There was one; Protozoa (ZOOM ZOOM ZOOM !!!!!)

The reason for this positive review is that my family loves this movie so much, as well as the other two parts of it!!!!! I really wish that the series was out on DVD soon. However, there are a couple of negative parts:

1. This would be the start of hiring old farts onto Disney Channel shows. I mean, look at most of the actresses they hire!!!!! You'd think they'd be born in the same time their characters do, but NOOOO !!!!! (Some are old enough to drink now, for goodness sakes!!!!!)

2. This movie MADE Raven the "Queen" of this station. I mean, all I ever see now is Raven, Raven, and - you guessed it - RAVEN !!!!! Enough is enough!!!!!

But, despite those bumps in the road, "Zenon" is a very good, very decent movie the whole family can enjoy, after all these years.

Great script. May be what kids may sound like in next generation?

Author: David Powell from denver, co
5 January 2001

Have you ever seen a futuristic sci-fi movie that adjusted the language of its characters to reflect what words/phrases people might be using in the next generation or two? This imaginative Disney movie does just that. Kirsten Storms is wonderful as the main character, Zenon. And kudos to those resposible for the cool wardrobe.

Ceedus Lapeedus! Why isn't this on a network everybody can get!

Author: StrmChsr from Los Angeles, Ca.
16 February 1999

Finally, an energetic and exciting show that we can watch as a family and enjoy without worrying about off-color humor or jokes with sexual overtones. And Kirsten Storms is fantastic! Bubbly and full of energy, she brings to the screen the kind of charisma that is a positive motivator for other kids. The only shame is that it's not on a network more people have because it's an uplifting movie that would make a sensational series.

Get caught up in Zenon's world

Author: Realrockerhalloween from United States
7 September 2016

Back when Disney produced quality movies and shows Zenon rocks. You can't help being engrossed in this fabulous world and wanting to explore it more. You find yourself hiking the catchy songs and before you know it embarrass yourself in front of your family.

The clothes seem a little over the top and yet seem like updated 90s fashion. The unique vocabulary only a genius could come up with add humor and its fun to try to guess what they are really saying. The casting was perfect and even features two actors before they became house hold names.

The story can give you a sweet tooth from trying to be to sentimental at times, but a good pick up is needed once in awhile. While the sequels don't hold a candle to the first, I find them a guilty pleasure to enjoy once I grow tired of the first and suffer from with draws. Zenon is a real treat for those looking for an escape from reality and visit a less complicated time. Get it on DVD today.

The ultimate grounding

Author: bkoganbing from Buffalo, New York
17 September 2015

It will be interesting in the year 2049 to see if the future world predicted in Zenon: Girl Of The 21st Century is actually here. At this point in time many science fiction future films have fallen short of the mark. Don't mean they're not good entertainment and this one from Disney Studios certainly is.

Kirsten Storms is in the title role and Zenon's a bright and spunky child who with her family is on a traveling space station that has explored a lot of the solar system and beyond. But she suspects something is amiss with millionaire Frederick Coffin and his sleazy aide Bob Bancroft who have endowed a lot of their money to the project. In these films the hero/heroine always has good instincts.

Her good instincts uncover a plot to destroy the space station itself with a computer virus during the first outer space rock concert by a futuristic David Bowie named Proto Zoa played by Phillip Rhys. Do you doubt that our resourceful teen saves the day? All of course after the ultimate grounding of being kicked off the station back to the home world.

Zenon: Girl Of The 21st Century is one of the better Disney television films and it was popular enough to spawn a sequel. Look for a nice performance by Raven Symone as Storms's best friend who runs interference for her. And Coffin and Bancroft are a pair of villains like Captain Hook and Smee.

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]