IMDb > Metroid (1986) (VG) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Metroid (VG) More at IMDbPro »Metoroido (original title)

A start of an excellent series by Nintendo!

Author: Angel Meiru
18 April 2004

When I was little, I loved Metroid, and I still do, every single one of them. Now, I think Samus Aran is a great role model for girl gamers, much better than Lara Croft or any of those slutty Final Fantasy heroines. Samus Aran stands up for what she thinks is right, and that's an important message for females to learn. She also teaches us female gamers that they don't have to be quiet, docile, and perfectly proportioned. Sure, Samus is very curvy and proportioned, but that's not all she is, unlike other heroines geared toward little girls. She actually wears *gasps* armor usually when going out to battle, unlike most game heroines whom fights in leather thong bikinis or Las Vegas stripper showgirl outfits.

If you want a great series of games by Nintendo besides Mario and Zelda, Metroid is a great treat.

One of the must have games if you had the Nintendo game console.

Author: Aaron1375
18 February 2009

Yes, this game looks very simple in its make up, but it was indeed a very fun game. You are Samus, a bounty hunter on a planet of pirates trying to prevent them from using a creature known as a Metroid as a weapon. The goal of the game is to defeat the leader of the pirates known as mother brain and stop the scourge of Metroids from taking over the universe. The first step to accomplish this task is to collect weapons and abilities to help you get stronger. There are many weapons to get to as you have your missiles, freeze beam, bombs and other assorted jumping abilities and things. You also collect energy tanks so you can withstand more damage from the enemies. The next step is to rid the planet of two of the mother brains main henchmen. Kragen and Ridely...one a giant porcupine type beasty and the other a bird. Tracking down Kragen is fairly simple, but man he was one tough opponent. He is listed as the first boss, but I can usually easily kill Ridley rather than this one. Though Ridley is harder to find. The final step is to infiltrate the mother brain's main chambers and fight your way through a horde of Metroid, which are not all that tough considering they are the title character and on to a not so tough battle with the mother brain. Lots of monsters to fight as I still remember the instruction book to this one being rather good with pictures of the monster and a good story set up. The play is rather simple, the music simple yet effective as all around this game is rather good fun for the early days of video game consoles.

Best ever!

Author: homerjsimpsonn from USA
26 May 2001

This is by far the best video game to have come out, ever. I know that's a heck of a sweeping statement, but it is. The play is fantastic, the objectives and goals of the game are extremely well thought out, and it actually requires skill! Even with the new, fancy shmancy video game systems out there with the far better graphics capabilities, I've yet to see one game since the original Metroid that actually meets the goals of video games: fun! As far as I'm concerned, Metroid shows that impressive graphics and sound don't make the game.

Metroid · II: Return of Samus · Super Metroid · Fusion · Zero Mission · Other M

Author: Andre van Rijn (drrevo@live.nl) from Netherlands
20 July 2010

Metroid​ is an action-adventure video game and the first entry in the Metroid series. Developed by Nintendo Research & Development 1 and published by Nintendo, the game was released in Japan in August 1986, in North America in August 1987, and in Europe in January 1988. It was re- released for the Game Boy Advance in October 2004, and for the Wii Virtual Console in Europe in July 2007, in North America in August 2007, and in Japan in March 2008. Following a series of commercially successful video games released by Nintendo in the early 1980s, the company began developing Metroid alongside its sister game, Kid Icarus (1986). Metroid was produced by Gunpei Yokoi and directed by Yoshio Sakamoto, with music composed by Hirokazu Tanaka. Set on the planet Zebes, the story follows Samus Aran as she attempts to retrieve Metroid creatures that were stolen by Space Pirates, who plan to replicate the Metroids by exposing them to beta rays and then use them as biological weapons to destroy Samus and all who oppose them. The game's style, focusing on exploration and searching for power-ups used to reach previously inaccessible areas, influenced other video games, and the varied endings for fast completion times made it a popular game for speed running. Metroid was lauded for being one of the first video games to feature a woman, Samus Aran, as the protagonist. Nintendo Power ranked Metroid 11th on their list of the best video games made on a Nintendo video game console. On Top 100 Games lists, Metroid was ranked 7th by Game Informer and 69th by Electronic Gaming Monthly.

This is one of the best games of all time!

Author: CybrSkll from Los Altos, California
13 August 1999

In Metroid you are the famous bounty hunter Samus Aran. You've been hired to deal with the pirates on planet Zebes. Under the orders of Mother Brain (a giant brain) the pirates have stolen a mysterious life form called a Metroid from the research team on planet SR388.

The challenge factor of this game is extremely high. The bosses are tough, items are well hidden and the Mother Brain and Metroids are lethal. Another item adding to the challenge is a password save system (one password even allows you to play as Samus without the armor!). Fortunately for you, Samus is wearing a power suit, a special type of armor that can be easily upgraded with the items you find on Zebes. You have 3 types of weapons, Laser, Bomb and Missile. The laser has 3 beam types: The Regular beam, it's just a laser, The Ice beam (freezes enemy) and Wave beam (shoots shots that go in wave motion). Missiles do great damage against bosses and open sealed doors. Bombs can only be used when you are rolled up into a ball.

The basis of game play is exploration and the action and conquering your foes (a lot easier in the sequels). Players will find themselves searching and exploring the labyrinths for most of the game. Please note however, that the monsters are no wimps, for the most part.

(The following is only a spoiler if the only things you have heard about the Metroid series was info from it's release nearly 15 years ago)

The big surprise in the game is no well-kept secret anymore: Samus is a woman! This was when there were next to no female leads in video games. Granted, there still aren't that many, but the number is steadily rising. In many publications I have read She has been referred to as a "He," even in many official Nintendo publications. The knowledge that Samus is a woman is clearly stated in the Instruction Manuals for the sequels and many other sources. She has been holding her own in the gaming world longer that Lara Croft of the Tomb Raider series. Not that I'm knocking Lara, it's just that the Metroid series is a really captivating one, with a fairly simple plot that has room for any kind of story development.

Overall this is a highly challenging and enjoyable game, with good graphics and is just plain fun to play. Be warned though, some parts are very frustrating. I give it a full 10!

In the deep of space one lone warrior is all that stands between a horrible death and us. Her name is . . . TRANSMITION LOST!

Author: CybrSkll from Los Altos, California
12 May 1999

In Metroid you are the famous bounty hunter Sammus Aran. You've been hired to deal with the pirate on planet Zebes. The pilots have stolen a mysterious lifeform called a Metroid from the research team on planet SR388.

The challenge factor of this game is extremely high. The bosses are tough, items are well hidden and the Mother Brain and Metroids are lethal. Another item adding to the challenge is a password save system (one password even allows you to play as Sammus without the armor!). Fortunately for you, Sammus is wearing a power suit, a special type of armor that can be easily upgraded with the items you find on Zebes. You have 3 types of weapons, your laser that has several beams: The Regular beam, it's just a laser, The Ice beam (freezes enemy) and Wave beam (shoots shots that go in wave motion). Missiles that do great damage against bosses and open sealed door. Bombs can only be used when you are rolled up into a ball.

The big surprise in the game is no well-kept secret anymore: Sammus is a woman! She has been holding her own in the gaming world longer that Lara Croft of the Tomb Raider series. Not that I'm knocking Lara, it's just that the Metroid series is a really captivating one, despite an overall lack of plot development. The basis of the game is exploration and the action and conquering your foes (a lot easier in the sequels). Players will find themselves searching and exploring the labyrinths for most of the game. Please note however, that the monsters are no wimps, for the most part.

love this game

Author: karlajames32-1 from United States
16 January 2008

My all time favorite game. A friend had a working NES system a few years back, and I raved about this game. I got it off Amazon and played it with them. I was not disappointed, and quickly fell back into the patterns, challenges, and fun times I had with this game as a child. I spent many nights playing this growing up, and I think that it is a skill to master a game as difficult as this one. It took me a long time to beat this game, and using the codes do not justify the work and satisfaction that comes along with the start to finish of Metroid. This game is awesome. Pick up an old copy and see. The new versions are pretty cool too, but none of them compare to this gem

The first of a great series.

Author: davidking from Absent and unaccounted for
16 May 2006

The Metroid series began with this relatively small (the ROM is only 128 kBytes, or 1MBit), but well designed game. It has always been one of my favorite titles, and is one of the greatest influences in my personal efforts to create games of my own. From this title is one of my all time favorite tunes, the music used in Kraid's hideout. I highly recommend this game.

I would, personally, rank this game as my third favorite in the Metroid series, my favorite being Super Metroid and my second favorite being Metroid Prime; I don't like to rate different types of games against each other because they aren't really the same thing, are they?

Metroid!

Author: Movie Nuttball from U.S.A.
24 January 2005

Metroid is one of the most exciting action video games! The characters, the action, and the sure thrill of excitement makes this game a fun non-stop playing time! Below is a brief look how I think the game is!

Game Play: The game play is very good. There is really basic controls here and is easy to perform. Novice gamers should have a good time here!

Graphics: The graphics are wonderful especially for the Nintendo System! The backgrounds are really beautiful!

Difficulty: The game is easy but as it goes on you find out that it will become more difficult!

Music: The music is great! Just fantastic catchy tunes through out the game! In My opinion its some of the best music ever in a video game!

Sound: The sound is great. Nuff said!

Overall: I have always loved Metroid! If you like mysterious action adventure games then I strongly recommend you play this game!

To purchase this video game check out Amazon.com!