IMDb > "Bucky O'Hare and the Toad Wars!" (1991) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Bucky O'Hare and the Toad Wars!"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratings

An Under-rated cartoon from the early 1990s

Author: andynortonuk from Oxford, England
30 April 2003

To be honest there weren't many good saturday morning around this time. So when this came to our screens it was a breath of fresh air from the other kids shows on at the time. I agree with Nathaniel Meyer, that this cartoon never really recieved the credit it deserved, because it was very good and I loved watching every episode and following the adventures of Bucky O'Hare.

As for the voices, I thought they were very good and doesn't spoil the very good animation (a bit too good for a Saturday morning cartoon). Doug Parker's voice for Bucky O'Hare was very suitable as a voice of the heroic rabbit (or hare!)! Scott McNeil was excellent as Deadeye Duck,and so was Terry Klassen as A1C Blinky, the robot.

It's a shame that this never got another season sadly, which was a great shame, as the storyline was always interesting and exciting! Overall, this was an under-rated cartoon from the early 1990s, which is dearly missed from our screens.

Massively underrated cartoon - Star Wars with animals!!!

Author: Gigidygigidy from United Kingdom
8 September 2005

I must've spent hours watching this as a kid, as it's been there, lodged in my memory all the way up to my current age of 17. I could remember very little about it yet somehow it never left my mind. After getting it on DVD recently I find it is as good if not better than I could recall.

The series follows the adventures of Captain Bucky O' Hare and the crew of his ship, the Righteous Indignation, in their battle against the toad menace. It's a war of mammals vs amphibians, and with the mammals fleet consisting of just one ship at the start of the series going up against an enormous toad star fleet, Bucky and co. are outnumbered. The crew are joined by human science nerd boy Willy DuWitt, who inadvertently transports himself through to 'The Aniverse' from our own world.

Visually it is quite impressive, the designs are very original, the ships are unique and extremely cool and characters are all fun, colourful and all completely different in appearance. The animation is better than most Saturday morning cartoons and while jerky on occasions, the action comes thick and fast so it is not a bother. The voice artists do a great job, even if speech is a little over-exaggerated from time to time. The story lines are all unique and interesting and on first viewing it's easy to get addicted to wanting to know where they'll end up next.

The heroes of the cartoon are all likable and it's easy to get attached to them. Bucky is completely heroic and there is not a bad bone in his body. However his trusting nature and inclination to walk into at least one trap per episode it seems often get him into trouble. Deadeye Duck is the cocky, trigger happy four armed pirate gunner of the ship. He tends to say the same things a lot, usually something to do with his lust for 'croaking toads' but doesn't get annoying. The ship's sultry pilot, Jenny the Cat will go down with fans of anthropomorphic women, *wink wink*, and she is a pretty cool character, harnessing mysterious witch-like powers. Bruiser the baboon is dumb but lovable and the robot Blinky is painfully cute. You feel sorry for the poor little guy as he is frequently captured.

Humour comes from the utter idiocy of the toads. The air Marshal is suitably stressed out of his head for the whole series and says everything like he's about to explode. Also the frequent commercials on Toad TV, showcasing wart cream and constant images of voluptuous scantily clad toad girls prove amusing.

The parallels to Star Wars are clear from the off. Characters all seem to have Star Wars counterparts, Deadeye duck is a very Han Solo like character, Bruiser could be Chewbacca and Blinky takes on the role of R2D2 and C3PO rolled into one. On the evil side there's an evil toad emperor, his right hand man who is a dead toad inside a mechanical body (Vader anyone?), the bumbling toad legions are referred to as stormtroopers and the money hungry bad-guy-for-hire Al Negator could be seen as a crocodile Boba Fett. There even seems to be scenes and dialogue taken straight from if not heavily influenced by the Star Wars films. e.g. "You're actually going to go into an asteroid field???"

The only negative part of the storytelling is the part of Willy DuWitt. He is the human character who constantly flits between the aniverse and his own uninteresting homeworld of earth. Whenever the storyline goes over to his antics with bullies at school, it gets a bit lame, but then it doesn't last long, so it's easy to forgive. Another negative point is that it's obviously censored. There's no toads getting shot in the head. However there is lots of explosions, spaceship destroying and robot trashing as well as hands on violence.

Overall it's a good, action packed sci fi cartoon that should never have been cancelled. Anyone who says it just jumped on the TMNT bandwagon should be pointed in the direction of the original 70's comics. The TMNT cartoon is undoubtedly why this got the green light but this has not been shoddily thrown together by any means.

9.5/10 Recommended for fans of: -Star Wars -Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles -Any of the 90s super hero animals cartoons (swat cats, biker mice from mars etc) -Science Fiction action in general

A Willy gets lost in space........

Author: lokimask20 from Ireland
27 June 2007

Did that catch your attention ^^^ Good!!! Boasting some of the best and by far more mature cartoon scripts, this cartoon really was the best thing to air on a Saturday morning, the animation was a lot more detailed in comparison to some of the shows that aired along side it.

it even managed to stay faithful to it's comic counterpart (albeit some changes, to lighten the more dark and serious tone of the comic books) in retrospect minus the fact that this show "Bucky O Hare and the Toad Wars" ended after one season, it still reaches some conclusion (in the hopes of a second season or revival) so you won't be left disappointed.

if you want your bucky fix there is an on-going internet series (if you're into that sort of thing!!) and a small 3D cartoon on Continuity studios website.

Well animated, fairly good cartoon

Author: Nathaniel Meyer (extremezero@hotmail.com) from USA
25 June 2000

This cartoon never really recieved the credit it deserved, I thought it was actually a pretty well written cartoon and quite fun to watch! It was canceled after the first session disappointing the fans that it had, but luckily the whole session was released on video. It was many times compared to Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, which isn't a good comparison if you ask me, it is hard to relate to other cartoons because like all great cartoons it is a very original idea for a cartoon. Worth the money to buy tapes, I recommend it to any big cartoon fan/collector.

Was what I remember, just not as good

Author: David Roggenkamp
5 April 2016

I heard at a time when "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles" was the dominate cartoon on the airwaves, other cartoons were made with similar themes to compete. "Bucky O'Hare" was among them. I remember it was on TV in the early nineties and was part of Fox Kids' Saturday morning lineup. At the time I remember it being a show I wanted to see as a kid, but it didn't last very long before it was pulled from the lineup. Looking at it nearly twenty years later, I can kind of see why - compared to other cartoons of the era, it was a bit too serious and focused to heavily on politics. The only appeal I can see of it is due to the fact it had talking anthromorphic animals in it - something which was also a hallmark to Disney cartoons in the "Disney Afternoon". The Disney Afternoon on the otherhand had everything from a touch of humor to goofy antics; which is probably why may of their more 'serious' cartoons still managed to enjoy several years of success.

I am almost finished with the second episode of this series and I can say a few things about this series. It doesn't use a serialized format, nor does it rely on an episode of the day. Instead, one episode appears to have developments from the previous. This is a bit uncanny, as it typically found more often in super hero cartoons. For that matter, it reminds me of a stereotyped space adventure (radio and television) from the 50s and 60s. The series may have anthromorphic characters, but outside of traits of their respective animals, character models are more human. However, the series also uses different proportions for the characters - a rabbit will be smaller than say an alligator, but then there are different proportions of toads also. Speaking of which - the opening title sequence has Bucky O'Hare with four fingers; instead he has three in the actual episodes. I thought this was weird at first, and perhaps it was a throwback to it being a cartoon, but Willy Duwitt (human) has four. The duck gunner (Deadeye) also has teeth under his beak, but he lacks anything like wings, but rather trades them for four arms. The series seems to be more fantasy than reality, but still chooses to maintain a serious tone.

On the serious tone - the setup involves super computer which has taken over the "Toad Empire". While it was meant to once help with consumer goods and everyday life, it eventually took over and militarized the empire and now they are a threat to everything else in the "Anniverse" (pun off of Animal and Universe). Sounds strangely like "Skynet" from "Terminator". Some of the characters have what I might describe as 'flavor' in an otherwise toxic environment; but most of them are so busy with the task at hand that we do not really get to see much of their personalities - it is instead about the execution of their actions that we see. Saying the series is full of action is an understatement; it is a series of micro-adventures from one destination to the next; "Star Wars" is probably a good theme to name for this series, only it is anthromorphic. In short, there is very little character development, the series relies more on token characters, and plot development more than anything else. If all thirteen episodes are like the first two, I can see why it failed. It was hard enough to watch every episode in a series, let alone keep up with the plot of one that relied on developments established in previous episodes. Moreover, this series did not have repeats as I recall.

I'm not sure if children can understand this series; they might just like the fact it has talking animals in it and it is a space adventure. The serious plot may be meant so that parents could watch it with their children; perhaps it was also angled at an older audience with elements thereof. I'm not sure. This is one cartoon that, however, can be lost to time.

Originally posted to Orion Age (http://www.orionphysics.com/?p=10756).

A green martian bunny with a laser pistol.

Author: BlazeFox from Seattle, Wa
19 December 2002

I guess the plot and concept may have been hard to understand. But hey they had stuff like Sonic The Hedgehog on ABC. Which I thought was pretty damn good and intricate. Bucky O Hare was on Fox Kids along with Dynacity Warriors. A show about a group of workers who got trapped in a cellar by some villain and ended up getting fused with their tools via some oh so cleche, toxic waste.

I remember both shows ONLY because of the video games that were made for Nintendo. Yes. There was a game for Bucky O Hare.. quite a good game. And one for Dynacity Warriors. The ga,e for it was awesome because one of the characters was a girl who rode around on her buzz-saw legs and you also could play as a dog who could carry cars in his mouth.

I kinda miss these shows. But sadly IMDB doesn't have anything listed for Dynacity Warriors.

I never got it

Author: weerdo1482 (weerdo1482@aol.com) from Little rock
20 October 2001

I vaguely remember this cartoon, mainly from its product line. as I recall the good guys flew ships shaped like giant boots that squashed the toads. When I was little, this show confused me because the charactors where very serious and everything they said was really ridiculous and hard to take serious. and then they were flying these shoe ships and squashing frogs making this woopy cushion fart noise, that seemed like it was supposed to be funny. At the time this show came out there was big demand for cartoons like this. part of the ninja turtle fad. so writers and ideas for this stuff were ramped. In my opion, this is just another junk cartoon thrown together that invovled personified animal warriors, or from space or ninjas or whatever. just another strange part of americana