IMDb > Little Nicky (2000) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Little Nicky

Little Nicky More at IMDbPro »

Page 10 of 24: [Prev][5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [Next]

Irritating comedy

Author: John Taylor (jdtaylor@btinternet.com) from Bedfordshire, England
21 November 2001

Little Nicky is another US comedy that instead of trying to come up with a funny script comes up with a silly and stupid one . When you watch such films as Life of Brian and Plains, Trains and Automobiles you wonder why script writers cant come come up with films that are funny anymore. This film is full of stupidity and very few laughs and is really spoilt by that fact the little Nicky played by Adam Sandler has a speech impediment which is so irritating and pointless that what enjoyment there is to be had is cancelled out. Also there are lots of in House American jokes that i could see were supposed to be funny but if you dont live in the states, like me, they go way over your head.There was an apearance by an american sports star that we are all supposed to know and we were supposed to get the joke.....not me. This film does have a few funny moments but not enough for me to give it a good review. 4 out of 10.

Pretty Funny ***WARNING - MAY INCLUDE SPOILERS***

Author: wwf_owner_86_2000 (wwf_owner_86_2000@yahoo.ca) from Mocton, New Brunswick
31 October 2001

I wasn't expecting much out of last year's Little Nicky but I WAS prepped to see it.

Backstory: Little Nicky (Sandler, in his weirdest role ever) is one of the three sons of the Devil (Keitel) along with Cassius (Lister) and Adrian (Ifans). The devil appoints himself as the ruler for the next 10,000 years and that pi**es off Nicky's brothers. Adrian and Cassius head up to Earth to try to rule it while the hellfires freeze. Nicky's father is slowly deteriorating while Nicky heads up to Earth to try to save his dad and continue the balance between good and evil. I won't give away anymore that I have to.

Keitel is good as the devil, Sandler is at his usual best, and Rodney Dangerfield glows in a great cameo appearance. I can't believe this only got 5/10. I would've given it a big ol' 7/10.

Overall, I'd give it *** 1/2/*****.

A great effort by every actor and actress with amazing special effects to

boot.

A fun party movie

Author: Glenn Andreiev (gandreiev@aol.com) from Huntington, NY
26 August 2001

We start off with a crass peeping tom (Jon Lovitz) falling to his death, and winding up in Hell, where a very bizarre and hysterically funny torture awaits him. Nicky (Adam Sandler) is the slacker son of Satan (a fun Harvey Kietel) and is sent to Earth in order to save his father's life.

What follows is more a collection of skits rather than a plot, but what fun skits they be. A Sunday Mass becomes a frat-party like shambles, Nicky comes across weird Manhattan characters (There's his shrill failed-actor room-mate, a male nieghbor named "Nipples" who dresses in ghastly girl-hottie attire, aimless stoner followers, an insane and loud street preacher- played to the hilt by Quentin Tarantino!) Fun camoes by Ozzy Ozborne, Henry Winkler and Regis Philbin fill out the time. My real minus is with Sandler's sluggish voice he carrys all through the film. He sounds like a talentless drunk frat-kid imitating a retarded child. Otherwise, this is a lot of fun.

One of the worst films I have ever seen

Author: Justin J. (justin6121@aol.com) from USA
27 July 2001

I am somewhat ashamed to admit this but I normally enjoy Adam Sandler movies (i.e. Happy Gilmore, Wedding Singer) but for some reason I wanted to vomit because Little Nicky is so bad. It could be because they decided to put CGI into the movie-and even worse, they over-used the CGI. It could be the bland, tasteless, and boring script. I don't recall laughing at a joke once. No, it didn't even tickle me to see one of those hell beasts with breasts on its head. I think the reason why I hate this movie so is because Sandler does the same thing with all his movies. He acts like an inept bumbler who can't finish a single sentence without stuttering, wheezing, or speaking jibberish. Quite frankly, it gets old. The best part of this movie is that it ends. If you're in the mood for a Sandler movie, try another one. ANY one besides this. If you're looking for a comedy, look for some of the better comedies released in 2000, like Almost Famous. Sorry, Adam. Your usual humor just doesn't amuse me any more.

2/10...a must-miss

funny, sick and a great way to distract yourself for an hour and a half

Author: Matt Moses from Brooklyn, NY
24 June 2001

Good for Adam Sandler; he's gotten back on his feet after some disappointing moves and has created an excellent comedy with Little Nicky. The Devil, played by Harvey Keitel whose presence is felt only marginally, announces to his sons that he plans to continue his reign in Hell. Two of them rebel and situate themselves on earth, while the third, Adam Sandler, remains faithful. However, in order to restore order in Hell, he needs to bring them back. Thus the setup: the son of the Devil needs to not only accomplish an adventurous mission but also adapt to life on earth. A step-by-step analysis of the plot would be pointless, as it's essentially a series of jokes (concluding with Henry Winkler getting covered by bees (twice)) that lead up to the day being saved and a happy ending for all, including Sandler and girlfriend-on-earth Patricia Arquette. Suffice it to say the aforementioned jokes range from clever to brilliant. The cast boasts some excellent cameos and small parts, including Rodney Dangerfield, Jon Lovitz (who goes to hell in the first scene), Reese Witherspoon in a remarkably cute role as Sandler's angel mother, Rob Schneider, Ozzy Osbourne and Rob Schneider. Sandler and co-writers Tim Herlihy and Steve Brill (who also directed) do an excellent job finding a silly premise and filling it with a movie's worth of amusing and offensive material.

a step forward

Author: buyjesus
27 May 2001

Sandler and Herily should be commended at the very least for attempting something new. There is currently no other movie out there like Little Nicky. It screams for recognition and unfortunately got little to none and perhaps (as his next project has director Paul Thomas Anderson attached) when Adam Sandler pulls a miraculous Jim Carrey 360 into an actual actor of artisitic merit, this will be the overlooked gem. The special fx look crisp and cutting edge. Hell itself is fantastic. the actors give their all with effective comic timing. even non-comedians like harvey keitel. it effectively blended a slight surrealist tinge with some pretty crude and lowbrow humor, which is not an easy task. it also touched on the subject of religion, being satirical without being offensive. make no mistake, the film is no masterpiece. it falls victim to many of the same serious pitfalls that stifle other comedies made by former SNL members. It also overcompensates in an idealistically complex plot that leaves quite a few loopholes that audience members might scratch their heads at. But screw it, movies like this don't win awards anyway and at the very least it shows remarkable potential and growth for the writing time that has spawned the majority of the Sandler-driven movies to date. it has terrific cameos by the likes of dana carvey, henry winkler, regis philbin, etc. the final 20 minutes loses momentum a bit and drags on for a while, but all is rewarded by the end.

Positively shocking

Author: Lauri Henriksen (lavis) from Helsinki, Finland
20 May 2001

I had my doubts when I started watching this film. I didn't like Adam Sandler, I had a doubt about Keitel in a comedy film and I had heard nothing about this film so I thought it was a flop. Well it only took a minute to see how wrong I was. In every possible way this movie was crazy. Usually there's at least a few scenes with rational behavior. This movie was crazy all the time. The jokes were shocking. Everything about this movie was absolutely brilliant. Boobs on this guys head, the thing with Hitler.. etc. I was positively shocked every other minute or so.. Yes, this movie was the best comedy I've seen since King Pin and Dumb & The Dumber.. Well actually, it was better than those. I'll maybe watch it all over again right now. It's 2:30 am and I don't think I'm gonna sleep this night, I'm gonna watch this film over and over again. Well, if you read my comments (the hype) and still haven't seen the film don't pay any attention to my comments, have your doubts and be surprised.

Yeah, Ozzy!!

Author: Michael DeZubiria (wppispam2013@gmail.com) from Luoyang, China
7 May 2001

Why do I say Yeah, Ozzy? Because Ozzy Osbourne made this film. I don't care who wrote it, I don't care who starred in it, and I don't care who directed it, if Ozzy hadn't been in Little Nicky, there would be absolutely no reason to watch it. Even the great Harvey Keitel, who obviously makes an excellent Satan, was ill-used if for no other reason than that idiotic deterioration that left him as nothing but a pair of arms and a mouth. Come on, people! Whose dumbass idea was that?! Anyway, Ozzy's was only one (by far the best one, mind you) of a whole series of cool cameos. We see a whole succession of great cameos in Little Nicky. Ozzy causes every rock and roll fan in the audience to jump up and cheer by biting the head off of the devil when he turns into a bat. Chubbs, Happy Gilmore's late, one-handed golf instructor shows up in a scene in heaven, along with Reese Witherspoon, who effectively plays the part of Little Nicky's angel mother who happens to also be an absolute bimbo. Rodney Dangerfield is his traditional self as the father of Satan (`Even in Hell I get no respect.'). John Lovitz has a scene early in the film where he sits in a tree spying on some woman while she changes, and he's listening to `Lady's Night,' the song that he performed in The Wedding Singer, which was obviously a much better film than this one. Even Dan Marino who, in my opinion, was made famous more by Ace Ventura than anything else, had a great part where he tries to sell his soul to the devil just to win a football game. And, of course, someone was amazingly able to get The Great Quentin Tarantino to play the part of a hideously creepy religious nut, in the second best cameo in the film (even Quentin can't compete with Ozzy). I could go on and on about the cool cameos in this movie.

How about Little Nicky's room in Hell? What a great room for the son of the devil! Can I say something, by the way? The religious right attacks Marilyn Manson for every little thing he does, but I hereby officially bet any amount of money that no religious group on the planet will ever defend him by pointing out that there was not a single picture or poster of him in Nicky's room in Hell. You have to notice this when you see posters of Metallica, Ozzy (of course), Ministry, Motorhead, Korn, AC/DC, Slipknot, Black Sabbath, etc. No one ever accused Korn of driving kids to worship the devil, yet the devil's son seems to be one of their biggest fans.

There was a little too much cheesy comedy in this movie. And yes, I realize that it is a `Happy Madison' picture, and that these movies are characterized by their cheesy comedy. But the gigantic pineapple up Hitler was a step in the wrong direction. And how about that damn dog? Remember the scene where he shoots an arrow at Adrian, Nicky's evil brother? Of my GOD, that was ridiculous. And then there were John and Pete, a couple of idiot rock and roll fanatics that appear throughout the film in a series of dumbass scenes that make all rock and roll fans look bad. Although it was cool when one of them asks Nicky what was recorded backwards on Ozzy's record, and Nicky says that `the Blizzard' always delivered his message straight. Too bad they didn't use a Marilyn Manson song to do that, but as much as I respect him and love his music, he doesn't even come close to Ozzy.

Little Nicky has a lot of cool stuff in it, such as an excellent soundtrack (notice the surprisingly good re-mix of Stupefy, by Disturbed, during the end credits), but most everything else is just pretty bad. And besides that, the soundtrack during the film was used as little more than to pack songs into the movie so that they could sell the soundtrack later, although some of the songs worked really well where they were put into the movie (Particularly Powerman 5000's `When Worlds Collide'). Little Nicky is sent to earth to capture his rebelling older brothers, because they escaped from hell, freezing the entrance and causing their father's deterioration. And then the Son of Satan meets some girl and falls in love with her! Everything about that little subplot was just awful, except for the way that he barely rescued her from the subway train late in the film, but it was actually a good decision to cast Patricia Arquette in this role. Except, remember when Nicky was explaining possession to her? `What do you mean, ‘possessed?' Come on, Patricia, POSSESSION. Didn't you learn anything from starring in Stigmata?

The plot of Little Nicky is of no value or interest whatsoever, it's the cameos that make it worth watching. Clearly, there can be no satisfaction derived from watching Adam Sandler's breathy performance as the son of Satan as he `releases the evil' and then `releases the good.' The plot and story are inconsequential, but the movie is still pretty funny at some points, so it's not a complete waste of time. It pays great homage to rock and roll stars as well as previous successful comedies, but if you're not a rock and roll fan or if you haven't seen a lot of these goofy comedies, you are almost sure to be disappointed by Little Nicky.

Wonderful

Author: moviewiz-4 from New Zealand, Indonesia
3 May 2001

Good comedy movie, especially the effects and storyline. Most of the ideas in this movie are completely different and new.

Probably, the sound and music composer should deserved a credit as well. They all match perfectly and beautifully done especially at the final scene where constant effects changing that happen from time to time.

Great Comedy Killed by Bad Editing

Author: (craigbenting) from SF Bay Area, CA
28 April 2001

I rented this movie on DVD and that was it -- $3. I thought it looked stupid and the reviews looked horrible, so I never saw it at the theaters. Watching it, I thought it was a fun movie -- sometimes a little stupid or juvenile. This is why I gave it a 7 out of 10 stars -- quite a bit better than average (got plenty of laughs out of me), but not worth buying (that's one way I measure the worth of a movie because I own over 300 DVD's).

Not worth buying in its *released* form, that is. After watching this movie casually two times (hey, with 5 people in our family we watch a lot of our movies at least two times), I checked out the "Deleted Scenes" section on the DVD. Oh my God, WHO EDITED THIS MOVIE??? Yeah, I wouldn't put my hand up EITHER. All I can say is keep your day job because anybody with any sense in the movie industry can see from watching this movie and the deleted scenes that you don't have a CLUE! I couldn't believe how many deleted scenes there were that had us absolutely cracking up laughing -- not only that, but also how many deleted scenes there were total, 21 in all. 3/4 of those scenes were incredibly funny and we kept wondering why they cut them -- they cut their own throats.

Aah well, there's nothing we can do about this ... unless I can find the name of the person(s) who did the editing. In short, this movie could have been a pile of laughs, but the laughs all ended up on the cutting room floor (and, thank God, the DVD). The DVD would be worth buying if they worked all those cut scenes back into the movie in an alternate version, but as it is it's not and it barely rates a 7 out of 10 stars.