IMDb > Little Nicky (2000) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Little Nicky

Little Nicky More at IMDbPro »

Page 6 of 24: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [Next]

Hilarious!

Author: Adam Ostrow (aho1115) from Paxton, MA, USA
26 November 2000

This is one of the funniest movies I've seen in a while. Adam Sandler is a comic genius. I love "The Peeper" on his last CD, and the first scene, with Jon Lovitz, is sooo funny! I loved the music, esp. Highway to Hell during the epilogue, because it is my favourite song. If I lived in the 80's, I would probably be just like Paul and John, the metalheads. Quentin Tarantino was funny as the blind deacon, too. I feel sorry for Adam that one of those angels was his Mom, cause they were damn hot! There were a whole bunch of funny cameos. At one point I thought that possibly every person who had ever been on a movie with him was in this one! All in all, probably the funniest of his movies. I gave it 10 stars out of 10!

Good for what ails ya

Author: BobWeigh from Yip City, Idaho
26 November 2000

Quite a pleasure for a fan of the Sandler goofiness. Amazing amount of references to his previous work, bit players from past movies appearing again. All of his movies are being linked together, with characters from earlier movies running into and saying hello to characters from the current movie. Perhaps, someday, the movies will be able to be edited together, like the Godfather movies, according to the time the events in the movies happened. That would be 19 hours of pure movie pleasure.

ummm, can i have my 8 bucks back?

Author: highheadblues77
26 November 2000

oh was i waiting for this flick! i love adam's movies!! all of them are funny with the exception of some weak moments in the waterboy. i knew going in that this one may be bad but i was shocked at how bad it was!! the storyline was blah, seen it last year in a film called dogma. the acting was blah, saw adam play this guy before only he was called bobby boucher. the laughs were blah, cant say ONE joke had me laughing or even a smirk. it was nothing short of stupid and i was BIG time dissapointed. i thought after me, myself and irene, carey being another one of my favs, that this movie would have it all but nope...what a waste. sorry adam but you struck out with the bases loaded on this one....

no stars out of 10.

What was Adam Sandler thinking?

Author: darkman-27 from Saga, Japan
26 November 2000

I am a fan of Adam Sandler, but I just don't understand what he was thinking when he decided to make this film. Billy Madison for example, ok... its downright ridiculous, but it's also downright funny. Same goes for Happy Gilmore. Then came the Wedding Signer, it was what I like to call a movie that everyone can enjoy. Yet it still sneaks in great Adam Sandler humor. I true high quality film that most people should recognize. Waterboy came next; it sort of went back to the Madison format again. After that, Big Daddy came and went. I was happy to see Adam Sandler trying new things, but still packing in his good old humor... ok, now that I have rambled on lets get to my point.

Little Nicky... Whenever I hear that a new Adam Sandler movie is coming out I get excited because I hope it is going to make me roll on the floor, like Happy Gilmore did, but when I saw the preview for Little Nicky, I did not want to see it at all. It just seemed way too strange to be funny. Well, I went to see it anyway. I wanted to prove myself wrong.

This movie just was not funny. (ok it had a few moments) But it was generally just stupid. It was so bad I have almost lost all my respect for Mr. Sandler. I am sorry. This movie is not believable in any way. I just don't understand how a movie like this could have even been made. I would like to give some more specific examples, but it would just take too much out of me. Just Do yourself a favor, and forget about seeing this one.

Very funny, but not Happy Gilmore funny

Author: Conker from The Great White North
23 November 2000

Clearly meant for his core audience of hardcore fans, Little Nicky is another raunchy, yet hilarious movie from Adam Sandler. I loved it, but it didn't keep me laughing from beginning to end the way Happy Gilmore and Billy Madison did. However, it's still very funny and at times downright hilarious. You know you're watching a Sandler flick when a dog shoots a harpoon out of his genitalia.

Odd juxtaposition of juvenilia, raunch and special effects

Author: (julesy9@hotmail.com) from Boston
20 November 2000

We all know by this point that Adam Sandler is not one to go for high-brow humor. He prefers to entertain his audience of college students and teenagers with a cornucopia of absurdities and toilet jokes. Little Nicky is much the same, but with two major differences.

There is a heavy dependance on special effects in this film. Nicky, as the Devil's son, obviously resides in Hell and Sandler's version of Hell is pretty impressive looking, at least in wide, panoramic shots of the geography. The special effects are put to good use here, but it isn't very scary. Hell looks like a fine place to live, and as the Devil, Harvey Keitel seriously downplays both the Devil's evil side and his funny side, doing little to add to the film. There is little to be scared of in this Hell. Except for the occassional gross-out gag.

Nicky goes to Earth to prevent his brothers, the two most evil characters, from corrupting the souls on earth and thereby, in a convuluted and pointless plot, killing Nicky's beloved father. While on earth, Nicky is aided by a talking bulldog, a couple of metalheads looking for some cred, and a shy but sweet girl played by Patricia Arquette.

Sandler always has a love story in his films, but never has one been so juvenile. Nicky is little more than a shy teenager, new to earth and awkward in expressing himself, and the scenes where he falls for Arquette are ineffective and cloyingly sensitive. Hearing the Devil's son talking about butterflies in his stomach, in a film that features a character sprouting breasts on his head, struck me as an odd juxtaposition. 10 year olds will love some of the jokes and they might even enjoy the cheesy romance, G-rated as it is, but would you want your 10 year-old going to a movie that features an enormous bird attempting to copulate with Jon Lovitz?

Sandler needs to choose an audience, this movie is splintered down the middle as he attempts to appeal to 5th graders with his goofiness and to college kids with his scatalogical side. It never reaches any level of cohesiveness, though it remains entertaining in fits and starts. Between the special effects, the sap and the raunch, the movie gets lost in the mix. Next time, Sandler should choose one audience and ride it all the way through.

like a student film

Author: Rick Shur (rickshur@hotmail.com) from NYC
20 November 2000

Little Nicky is the answer to what would happen if you gave a stoned and untalented high school film student fifty million bucks to make a movie. It is so spectacularly bad, that it is a metaphor for itself, a diabolic concoction of movie making with some of the greatest talents in acting, scene design, cinematography, and make up, forced into a hellish collaboration of a project so devoid of intelligence and art that it defies description or comment. It is as though the Devil himself came to earth to torture some of our most revered talents (Sandler among them) by forcing them to make a movie that would endlessly shame and haunt their lifework's canon. I had an excuse for seeing it; much of it was filmed in my neighborhood. Vanity made me want to see my favorite haunts on film. Your excuse for seeing it will be different, but a good one is if you feel like you've sinned recently and want to punish yourself by sitting through an artistic black hole that will make you grieve for the people who were sucked into it.

not what I expected

Author: toesty
20 November 2000

I had heard so much negative hype attached to this movie that my expectations were extremely low when I walked into the theater. I'm not sure if I enjoyed it because my expectations weren't high or just because I'm a fan of Sandler's work. Regardless, I really laughed quite a bit and thought it was just a fun movie. Even if you're not a fan of Sandler's work, give it a try....you just might like it.

Great movie, quite a pleasant surprise

Author: Sci-Fi Junkie Lord (g_wells_h@hotmail.com) from Pittsburgh, PA
19 November 2000

When I walked into the theater, I was expecting the usual comedy drivel Hollywood has been pumping out en masse lately. When I left, I was laughing my ass of and recalling some of the best lines with my friend. Not only did this movie crack me up, however, it really engrossed me, more than comedies usually do. For some reason (the rockin' classic soundtrack, most likely) I was absorbed in every moment of the film. I was laughing hard, and constantly. This movie supplied a sustained laugh, but not by endlessly pointless jokes. Don't get me wrong, there is plenty of tasteless humor in this film. Tithead, is all I have to say (just go see it!) But, underlying the whole film was an epic, incredibly suspenseful and exciting sense of adventure. The plot is well thought out, and one of the best applications of hell used in a movie ever. I highly recommend this amazingly funny gem of a movie.

Funniest Sandler movie yet!!!!

Author: (mik2000@gwu.edu) from US
19 November 2000

This is Adam Sandler's funniest movie yet. After watching the advertisements and trailers for this film, I honestly did not expect it to be that great. In fact, I only viewed it because everything else was sold out. I was very, very wrong. This movie is great, and contains more humor than his previous films (if that is possible). A definite must see.