IMDb > Little Nicky (2000) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Little Nicky

Little Nicky More at IMDbPro »

Page 11 of 24: [Prev][6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [Next]

Really disjointed movie, despite awesome talent

Author: Troll316 from Parts Unknown
27 February 2001

First off, I'm a huge Sandler fan and have enjoyed all of his movies, up until this one. Usually, there is some aspect of Sandler in each of his characters that I have identified with and have been able to root for, but that feeling was absent in this movie.

That's not so say, however, that I don't appreciate all of the talent that was in this movie. Rodney Dangerfield, Patricia Arquette, Howard Keitel, Reese Witherspoon and Tiny Lister had worthy performances. However, despite all of the talent involved, there was just something that lacked in this movie as opposed to Sandler's other movies that just didn't appeal to me and although I don't like to admit it, the movie had me glancing at my watch at several points.

I especially like how Sandler always puts guys from his previous movies or his former SNL comrades into certain roles. Half of the fun of his movies is picking out characters played by actors that have showed up in his movies before. Kevin Nealon, Dana Carvey, the guy who played Nicky's gay roommate and both of Nicky's "heavy metal" followers did a great job. However, despite all of this, the movie seemed to lag and failed to reel me in.

Ozzy Osbourne's appearance as well as the tip-of-the-hat mention to Chris Farley were both awesome. However, they couldn't really save this one. Chalk it up as Sandler's first setback, but I'm sure that he will manage to recover and deliver as he has in Billy Madison, Happy Gilmore, Big Daddy and the Wedding Singer.

Immature Garbage.

Author: Stealth-5 from Australia
17 February 2001

This movie is tasteless and horrible to watch,it is a totaly dullathon with the most stupidest plot iver ever seen.Adam Sandler proves that he can play the same character in every movie and yes its very noticable.This movie has so many guest stars,one of the biggest range of cast members ive seen in a movie,and its all gone to waste,with humor that a 5 year old wouldnt find funny.Im sick of all these terrible movies coming out,everything about this film was very lame,the annoying characters get very repetive you really feel like leaving the theatre.Im not an Adam Sandler fan and this is one of his worst movies.I dont know,i think people were pretending to laugh,cause there honestly was nothing to laugh at,only if you used to laugh at trees when you were young.I dont reccomend this yawnathon,i dont think anyone does,it really is that bad,that you feel used,why did they take my $10? Ive been framed!Grrr..... Overall well.......DONT WATCH IT,you might as well buy $10 on a video like the EXORCIST or something funny like "NAKED GUN".

I give little nicky half a star out of 5.

(out of 5 stars)

Acting: *

Actors: ***

Comedy: (BOMB)

Script: (BOMB)

Cinema: *

Overall (*) HALF A STAR

Like one of those Disney movies on acid....

Author: mystic80
14 February 2001

Sandler's "Little Nicky" will probably forever remain at the bottom of his films as it was shunned by fans and audiences alike. It only made half it's budget implicating a taste in people's choice of Sandler's movies. In this $80 million comedy (surprisingly expensive for a Sandler movie), Sandler plays Nicky, the absent minded son of Satan (Harvey Keitel in a role you would not expect him to play in a comedy), who must come to Earth to stop his two evil brothers Adrian (Rhys Ifans) and Cassius (Tiny Lister Jr.) who are angry at Satan for having reappointed himself to another 10,000 years as the Lord of Hell. As a direct result, the two have blocked the gateway to hell therefore making it difficult for Satan to do his job, not to mention function normally as he starts losing body parts. In New York City, they create a virtual hell on Earth and Nicky must go in pursuit of them. Aided by Beefy, a vulgar talking bulldog, a gay actor, and two heavy metal, Satan worshipping deadheads, Nicky finds himself doing constant battle with them while being occasionally shuttled back to Hell each time he dies. If you hate Sandler movies, this won't make much of a difference but if you love Sandler movies, you're on a 50/50 basis. The ending is the worst of all time and it seems like Sandler said "I don't care anymore" and he gives it a tacked on ending that is devoid of any originality nor humor. There wasn't one smirk nor snicker when the ending was on. People were leaving the movie theater before the movie had even ended because of "Little Nicky"'s inability to make you laugh. What seems to really save the movie are the barrels full of cameos from the likes of a bevy of former SNL players such as Kevin Nealon, Jon Lovitz, Dana Carvey, Ellen Cleghorne, Michael McKean, etc. and Quentin Tarantino, Carl Weathers, and Reese Witherspoon among many others. Some parts are genuinely funny but don't expect much. Sandler movies are supposed to be stupid to make you laugh, but sometimes there is a limit and it happens with this movie. Grade: C-

Dull and Unfunny.

Author: flickjunkie-3 from New Zealand
3 January 2001

I was hoping Little Nicky would be a little bit better than The Waterboy, Adam Sandler's 1998 project. But it, sadly, fell along the lines as just as bad.

When the devil's mean older sons, Adrian (Rhys Ifans) and Cassius (Tom Lister Jr.) spread mischief on Earth, Satan (Harvey Keitel) begins to fall apart. Nicky (Adam Sandler), his misfit youngest son, is sent to New York City to track down his evil siblings, but he is distracted by falling in love and take-out chicken. Adrian, the devil's nastiest son, threatens to take over the universe, but a side-trip to heaven sets Nicky up to take charge.

This is basically a vehicle for Adam Sandler. Lots of unfunny jokes in a totally pointless film. Adam, buddy, your vehicle is getting worse and worse with every film you do. You should perhaps take a trip to the drama section of film and see how you go there – God knows that worked for Jim Carrey. The script is dull and annoying and consists of using the same jokes continuously and the directing from Steven Brill is totally effortless. There are some nice cameos from Reese Witherspoon and Henry Winkler, and the scenes are at most sometimes enjoyable, but that's it.

Little Nicky is a tiresome film that many actors look embarrassed to be in.

I rate Little Nicky 4 out of 10.

Author: euphemism from California
27 December 2000

Out of sheer boredom, I made my way to my local movie theatre to see what I expected to be a bad movie, but Adam Sandler has really outdone himself this time. I have enjoyed some of his films and would describe most of my feelings about them as, "Not too bad." That is to say that they were not very good either. But, they were simple, silly films.

This film cannot be forgiven so easily. This is one of the worst films I have ever seen and I felt a strong urge to flee the theatre almost as soon as it began. I only toughed it out so that I could tell the tale of my ordeal to others.

Before the film even begins, we hear the music that will haunt the soundtrack endlessly, weakly attempting to affect us emotionally and intended to boast record sales.

This is one of Adam Sandler's worst characters. His voice is annoying and not cute. His haircut is stupid and not cute. The movie is a waste and not funny. The other actors that agreed to be in this film must have been contracted by Lucifer because no one in their right mind would appear in this car accident. Harvey Keitel seems to have reached an all time low. Kevin Nealon, who always amused me on SNL, is wasted on a sight gag that doesn't work the first time, but is repeated ad-nauseum. Quentin Tarantino - shouldn't he be directing something to make up for Jackie Brown? Robert Smigel, who was mildly amusing for five minutes with his cartoons on SNL, is terrible as the talking dog and probably had more screentime than Harvey Keitel. Smigel's voice is just bad.

Just a dumb movie. It would have been okay if so much money had not been wasted.

Adam Sandler as the son of the devil.You can only expect a great film.

Author: famousgir1 from London/England
23 December 2000

"Little Nicky" is a brilliant and very funny film.What more you could you want from the man who brought us The Waterboy,Big Daddy, The Wedding Singer and much more...Adam Sandler.All of Adams movies rock and this one is no exception.Brilliant!

Fun for the Sandler in all of us

Author: Tom Schulz ( from Marietta, Ohio
6 December 2000

There's a certain joy that can only be truly understood by a male between the ages of thirteen and twenty-five. It's the joy of belching loudly at the dinner table,hawking spit off a bridge and watching it plummet into the water, and making endless jokes about your own feces.

That joy is best expressed by Adam Sandler's newest film "Little Nicky." Its raunchy, goofy, and downright hilarious, but only if you have the stomach and the maturity level to handle it.

While most Sandler films are presented in this adolescent ilk, this one is more so, relying on more gross-out jokes than his previous films. It's not that I'm knocking the approach (in fact, I was laughing louder than most people in the audience), it's just that once again, it takes a certain type of individual to enjoy this style of humour.

This could be called Adam Sandler's first "big budget" film, as it relies on special effects and elaborate sets more than his previous ones. Sometimes this approach is effective, such as the superb sets of hell, which are really spooky. However, most of the time it is overdone, substituting style for substance. The great things about films like "Happy Gilmore," "Billy Madison," and "The Waterboy" was that the jokes were from the characters and situations, and not from the spectacle on screen. One joke I found particularly unfunny was the addition of breast to the Gatekeeper's (Kevin Nealon) head. Sure you can do it with special effects, but why?

Fortunately, Sandler himself is in top-gear, giving a good performance and making up for all the other weak spots of the film. With his bad hair cut and odd speaking voice, Sandler still somehow creates a completely sympathetic and funny character. Personally, I think Adam Sandler's got some acting talent, but only when he's playing a comedic (please forgive his feigned attempt at seriousness in "Big Daddy").

Sandler has also surrounded himself with an endless list of Saturday Night Live alumni and other famous folks in cameo roles. Dana Carvey, Reese Witherspoon, Jon Lovitz, Henry Winkler, Rodney Dangerfield, Rob Schneider, Clint Howard, Michael McKean, Quentin Tarantino and even Ozzy Ozbourne make appearances. Half the fun of this movie is seeing who turns up next. One particular cameo particularly humoured my movie Without giving too much away, let's just say it's best going into the movie with some knowledge of Sandler's previous films.

On the same note, fans of Sandler's previous films, or those in the Sandler demographic group will best enjoy this film; others simply won't. It's not his best movie, but then again, it isn't his worse (I leave that distinction to "The Wedding Singer," which I found remarkably bland). So, if you enjoy burping loudly and spitting off of bridges as much as I do, I'm sure "Little Nicky" is just for you.

Author: Dan Grant ( from Toronto, Ontario
15 November 2000

I enjoy Adam Sandler's comedy. His past efforts like Happy Gilmore and Big Daddy were wonderful films that probably surprised everyone with their box office success. But no matter who you are, no matter how successful, there always comes a time when you stall. Current kings of the box office, Jim Carrey and Tom Cruise are perfect examples. Their propensity for success hit a road block when they did Me Myself and Irene and Eyes Wide Shut, respectively. Sandler is about to hit that same snag with this film. It had a good but not outstanding 15 million dollar opening weekend. His other films grossed 41 and 39 million on their opening weekends. So Little Nicky is destined for mediocrity. And part of the reason why this film is not going to dominate the box office is because it is not really that good. The comedy in here feels a little stale. I can remember laughing myself silly with some of his other films, in this one I just seemed to chuckle mildly. Not that it's a bad thing because it is still quite entertaining but it is not gut splitting hilarity.

There are some great cameos in the film and my favourites were Carl Weathers and Reese Witherspoon as a not quite so pure valley girl angel. But there were also some disappointments. Harvey Keitel as Satan and Rodney Dangerfield as his grandpa could have been so much better. Same with Quentin Tarantino's turn as a blind sidewalk preacher. Tarantino has had some memorable cameos especially in Sleep With Me, but here he is lame and unneccessary.

For a light comedic film, you can do worse than Little Nicky but there are also far better films out there. This may be worth seeing once, on a Tuesday or a matinee, but if I had paid full price for this I would have left unsatisfied.

5 out of 10 Not Sandler's best.

Very Funny! Much better than I expected!

Author: Mark Pytel ( from Hoffman Estates, Illinois, USA
11 November 2000

This movie was a hell of a riot. No pun intended. I don't think that I ever stopped laughing. The part with Hitler was just hilarious. I would tell you why but I don't want to give it away. This movie also has many guest stars including Rodney Dangerfield, Quentin Tarantino, Reese Witherspoon ( as an angel, which a perfect role for her) and many others. If you want to see a very funny movie this fall then I suggest that you go out right away and see Little Nicky! 9/10

one of Adam Sanders best movies

Author: atinder from United Kingdom
12 August 2009

I really like Adam Sandler this was he second movie I saw the first movie was The Waterboy.

This movie takes place in hell with Satan then He brings his 3 sons-Adrian, Cassius, and Nicky-to decide who will next Satan will be." Adrian and Cassius or Nicky for being their father's personal favourite, as the other brother pick on him and already hit in head with shovel so now he can't speak normal, The Devil decides to rule another 10,000 years himself.

Thens Adrian and Cassius are very angry so go to Earth and create a "New Hell" there, getting as many souls as they can.

When They escape Hell and freeze the entrance, the Fire Gate, on the way out then Satan begins to die. Satan sends Nicky to Earth with a Silver Flask that traps the drinker inside it forever. The only way to UN-freeze the gate is to get Adrian and Cassius to return through the Fire Gate inside the Flask.

When he ghetto Earth is meet a talking dog that help him to get Adrian and Cassius. it not to easy as looked and he end up falling in love with girl. who end up helping him as well.

There some great funny moment in this movie. I could watch this movie all day long and every day and never get bored of it.