IMDb > Little Nicky (2000) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 24:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Pretty underrated!

Author: robbie-20 from Sweet Home Chicago
20 December 2003

Geeze, this movie got the shaft! I thought it was a lot of fun and pretty funny. The Ozzy Osbourne line, 'Here, kill him with theeees' cracks me up every time. I don't know why this is disdained so much. Sure, it's no "Rushmore", but it has its place and I enjoy it for what it is--a kind-hearted, dumb, funny comedy in the vein of "Dumb & Dumber" or "Tommy Boy"--both classic movies in and of themselves. In that category, I give "Little Nicky" a 10! Blow-hards and elitists need not apply....

The Quintessential Sandler Film!

Author: darkgodmobutu from The Pit of Ultimate Darkness
13 February 2001

This was a great film and one of the best films of the year, contrary to what so many others say. This is the second most underrated & unappreciated movie of 2000, following Book of Shadows: The Blair Witch 2. There is nothing to not like about this movie, it is virtually non-stop laughs from beginning to end.

Reading some other user's reviews I'm stunned at their disdain and hatred for this great film. People always say that this is no Citizen Kane...well duh...to quote Highlander "There can be only one!". Now I'm not saying that this movie is in the same league as Citizen Kane, but that doesn't mean it's bad. This is an epic Sandler piece, and his funniest to date, and is quite possibly the definitive Sandler film.

Unlike most people, I loathed Big Daddy, writing it off as cheesy and overly sentimental; a one-joke gag stretched beyond its limits. Luckily that does not apply to this film, every aspect of this film is great, from the surprise cameo by "CHUBS" (Carl Weathers) to Harvey Keitel's hilarious turn as Papa Satan. You've gotta love a movie that lets Quentin Tarantino use his "unique" acting "ability" to his advantage in a brilliant performance as the religious zealot. My favorite cameo belongs to B-Movie God Clint Howard...after this movie, I don't think I'll ever look at him the same way again! The Cameos are worth the ticket price alone!

The story was top-notch and was brilliantly executed. This film definitely shows maturity in Adam Sandler and Tim Herlihy's writing abilities, as they created a complex and involving storyline, and great and hilarious characters.

I recommend this film to any film fans. Give this one a shot, regardless of your personal view of Sandler and his talent. Sandler is one of the most underrated and ridiculed acts out there today, which is sad considering his remarkable talent. How many other performers out there today write, produce, and star in their own films?

I give this one * * * * * * out of * * * * *

brilliant!

Author: gigamath2 from United States
9 January 2005

An absolutely brilliant and ingenious comedy. I am puzzled as to why this movie received such average reviews. I never listen to critics anyway. This film has so many angles. It's a fish out of water story with Sandler lost in New York, spoof of the punk rock genre, the damsel in distress theme, hilarious cameo with Rodney Dangerfield in Hell, the sarcastic talking dog, the John Lovitz peeping tom episode, sight gags galore, and the ultimate pineapple in Hiter's you-know-what. I laughed myself silly. This flick is raucously entertaining, but you need to appreciate Sandler's humor, which is an acquired taste, like beer. History will be kind to Sandler I think. Now for a true remake of Mad Mad Mad Mad World, with Sandler, Lovitz, Martin, Carrey, Murphy, and the rest of the SNL crowd.

The Shiz-nit!

Author: cousteau
23 June 2001

This movie rocks. From the actor who plays Adrian, (Rhys Ifans?) to Adam himself, to the "Kenny G" roommate, to the dog, who 'steals' the whole show.

I honestly try to understand why so many people thought this film sucked. They are probably stuck on Sandler's old (less refined) style. Well, guess what; he's changed. Sure it was funny to watch him get drunk and violent, like in <Happy Gilmore>, but Little Nicky is 10 times the entertainment of all those other Sandler films combined. Especially Billy Madison, which I thought was his worst film (no, maybe Airheads;)

This is why you should see <Little Nicky>:

1) The soundtrack is awesome 2) It's romantic (talking about butterflies, perfume, love, and floating) 3) All the funny cameos (And believe me, there were a LOT and they were all funny-Henry Winkler, Rob Schneider, Dan Marino, Dana Carvey, Regis Philbin, Ron Howard's brother, and Jon Lovitz to name a few....) In response to the negativity toward short cameos and "ac-TEURS that should've been used more"...*PLEASE!* Since when were Adam Sandler films about boring the audience to death with actors that "deserve" this and that.....You say they're thrown in there just because? You're right! Sandler simply loves the effect a 1 or 2-liner has on an audience! So what else you got? 4) It was extremely well-written. 5) It was pretty scary..no joke! 6) There's a talking bulldog who went out with a sewer rat!

Seriously, watch Little Nicky; it's warm-hearted and a lot funnier than <Big Daddy>. Sandler's best film to date!

Not as funny on repeat viewings, but a good silly comedy

Author: mattymatt4ever from Jersey City, NJ
1 October 2001

When I first watched this movie, I was cracking up! And it was one of those incidents in which I was in a crowded theater where I was pretty much the ONLY one laughing at most of the gags! It wasn't exactly embarrassing, but kind of weird. Then again, most of the people that came to see it were mothers and fathers with little children. Please ignore the PG-13 rating--this is NOT a movie for the young ones! I think anyone who has seen Sandler's previous films should know that by now. His sense of humor may be immature, but that doesn't mean it's appropriate for little eyes to see.

I watched this movie again, after I bought the DVD. First of all, I was impressed to discover the cool Easter eggs! It's actually the first DVD to be presented in InfiniFilm. But since it was used as an Easter egg, it wasn't credited as the first InfiniFilm feature. Well, as I learned a lot more about the behind-the-scenes work on this movie; mostly involving special effects, makeup, costume and set design; I gained a better respect for those who were responsible for making "Little Nicky." I thought of it as more than a shallow comedy. It's obvious that the producers of Sandler's previous films didn't have to bend over backwards to produce any flashy effects--in fact, most of them were made on a modest budget.

However, the laughs faded away a little. Since this is a silly, superficial comedy, don't expect to pick up on any subtle humor that you might've missed the first time around. I always found Sandler's schtick very silly and meaningless. But he's one of those guys who can make me laugh at things for no apparent reason. Almost as if I'm laughing AT him. I've seen "Billy Madison" countless times and I still roll with laughter every time. But with "Little Nicky" most of the jokes that I found silly-funny on my initial viewing were just silly on my second.

One thing to anticipate is a stellar cast. You'll be surprised at the kind of celebrities that pop up in the cameos. Some of the big-name stars include Harvey Keitel, Patricia Arquette, Quentin Tarantino, Reese Witherspoon and (my personal hero) Rodney Dangerfield! And that's just to name a few. It would also help if you've seen Sandler's past films, especially in one particular scene with one of our mystery cameos. You'll be treated to a great inside joke. And of course, expect to see many of Sandler's regulars including Allen Covert, Clint Howard, Peter Dante, Blake Clark and Jon Lovitz.

"Little Nicky" is not a thoughtful piece and will probably do nothing to contribute to mankind. But it's a very funny comedy that I simply advise you don't watch over and over again. You'll enjoy it a lot the first time! Of course, the DVD has some really cool features, so if anything pick that up.

My score: 7 (out of 10)

A Paradise for Adam Sandler's Fans

Author: Tasos Tz. from London, England
27 May 2001

Let me explain something about Adam Sandler's movies (and his recordings and his SNL shows). His humor is something you either like or hate. There's no middle situation and there's not really a category for it except for 'Adam Sandler humor'. It also came to my attention that the people who think that Sandler is stupid, think the same of Jim Carrey and almost any other pure comedian, which narrows down their comedy taste to 'Scary Movie'.

Little Nicky is a film that every Adam Sandler fan has to see. This picture is about the son of Satan, who comes to earth in order to save his father from extinction. Everything (yes, everything) that takes place place in this movie, from the cast to the script, to the cameo appearances of celebrities, pays homage to earlier Sandler works. Those little or sometimes bigger references are not only links to Sandler's previous movies but also to his recordings and SNL shows. It's a real treat for every true Adam Sandler fan!

Also a great production along with a great Heavy Metal soundtrack make this film one of the best movies Adam's ever done.

I have to warn you that you have to have at least some experience with Adam's previous efforts in order to appreciate 'Little Nicky'. Of course if you are an Adam Sandler fan you're going to love this one. If you are not, please go rent 'Die Hard with a Vengeance' for one more time...

Nowhere near as bad as you've heard

Author: dbborroughs from Glen Cove, New York
1 July 2004

Ever hear of a movie that is suppose to be the extreme of one sort or another that doesn't live up to its billing? Little Nicky is one of those films. Roasted upon its release as one of the worst films of all time Little Nicky turns out to be an okay comedy. Actually this is the kind of movie that has all of the ingredients to be a screamingly funny comedy, but somehow things don't work.

Nicky, the son of the devil and an angel is sent to make his way in the world while one of his many brothers tries to take throne of Hell from their father. Casting everyone from Harvey Keitel to Rodney Dangerfield this is a film that fits into the Adam Sandler universe since several characters from some of his other films appear. Its a film that on star power alone should work, but it never catches fire. Sure there are laughs but on the whole nothing ever hangs together to form a full movie. I've seen the film several times and can't figure out what went wrong. Even Adam Sandler as Nicky, in one of the worst portrayals in screen history, isn't the reason this doesn't work. There is something else, some other reason.

Still its worth seeing if you like okay comedies. It never scales the heights its ideas and bits say it should be reaching. If its on try it and see if its for you, you certainly could do worse.

One of Sandler's best (however,that's not saying much)

Author: DancingPotato from Jonquiere, Canada
19 November 2000

I have to admit that I have a soft spot for Adam Sandler. He might be "juvenile",but in a way,we all are. In this one, Sandler plays a son of Satan (Harvey Keitel) and an angel (Reese Witherspoon),who has a deformity because he was hit in the face with a shovel.Once again, Sandler does something strange with his face (like in The Waterboy) and it is a little annoying. However,the movie bristles with some form of charm from a great cast,which has hardly been seen in a Sandler movie.A lot of stars show up,such as Rob Schneider,Ozzy Osbourne and Quentin Tarantino (in a especially funny part).The funniest character in the movie is the dog who teaches Nicky how to survive.There is a scene where Nicky learns how to eat chicken that is uproarious. The movie also benefits from good special effects and a rockin' soundtrack.This does not mean the movie is without flaws. Like I said,Sandler's face is annoying,and the beginning is a little boring. This movie will not advance Sandler's career much,but it sure won't kill it. 7.5/10

One or two good moments in a film of basic, unfunny bad taste moments with a cast that looked good on paper but are either bad, embarrassing, wasted or all three

Author: bob the moo from United Kingdom
10 October 2004

Satan has decided to stay in charge of Hell for a few more years, a decision that enrages two of his sons (Adrian and Cassius) who decide to create their own Hell on Earth and rule there instead. Whenever they leave Hell, Satan's powers begin to fade and has less than a week before he will be destroyed. With no choice but to send his third, weaker son, Satan sends Nicky to Earth to capture his brothers and bring them back to Hell and restore the norm. However the simple and naïve Nicky struggles to cut it in the real world.

I will always give Adam Sadler films a go because I often find just about enough moments of inspired lunacy among the puerile and pretty unfunny material. Sadly, this outing sees such a terrible plot combined with awful acting, unfunny writing, tired special effects and crude joking and almost no moments that took me by surprise and made me laugh. Instead the film is just plain stupid with very few laughs in it at all. Of course it may well appeal to some with its silly humour and its silly crude joking but personally it was pretty laugh free and the whole idea of the film was too dumb and silly to really work. The actual plot is never a really strong aspect of any Sadler film but here it is just all over the place. It is not that it makes no sense, it is more that it lacks any sense of fun at all and the dark tone is totally misjudged and the usual moments of inspired craziness is really limited to one or two moments (the best being the Fonz covered in bees!).

The cr*p script is not helped at all by a cast that is either rubbish or wasted. Sadler himself falls into the 'rubbish' camp with a performance that is like his usual mugging but even more unbearable. With his twisted expression and nasty voice, he was actually painful to watch – and this is not based on a hatred of Sadler (I loved him in Punchdrunk a few days ago) it is based on the fact that this is a terrible performance with nothing but a terrible idea and a terrible character to work with. The support cast is made up of plenty of well-known faces but few are used well at all and too many of them are embarrassing. Keitel falls into the latter category and he has a thankless role that is not worthy of his talent. Ifans and Lister are given hard work by mostly doing voice work with poor dialogue (in their heads) and they were not funny at all. Arquette is given nothing to do at all but still manages to be lame and annoying. The various cameos are mixed – Taratino is just dumb; Dangerfield is OK but not given enough time; Weathers, Witherspoon, Witherspoon and others are all given nothing to do other than show their faces but Lovitz and Schneider at least provide some unexpected weirdness in very minor roles.

Overall, Sadler films are normally average at best but I must say that I found this to be devoid of all but the slightest hint of the inspired humour that he can often create. The story is stupid and silly, the acting both bad and embarrassing, the script filled with misfiring jokes that are mostly in bad taste as well as being unfunny (a bad combination). A real waste of time that will only appeal to the most die-hard fans of Sadler and those that only like their comedy to be very basic indeed.

Cheesy fun... Just need to lighten up a little!

Author: johnnoau from Australia
29 August 2013

Little Nicky is a love it or hate it movie... Personally, I love it. It's silly, cheesy and doesn't pretend to be anything else. From the sarcastic dog's snoring to the Chicago record to Quentin Tarantino's blind preacher, it's got plenty of proper laughs. Yes, it's crude, but it's clearly not made to be sophisticated - the special effects are terrible and Adam Sandler is at his cheesiest best. That's what gives this movie its charm - the fact that it doesn't take itself too seriously.

Let's not forget the soundtrack - personally, I think it's probably one of the most awesome out there - with everything from P.O.D to AC/DC, Foo Fighters/Dave Grohl, Scorpions, Van Halen and more.

Go into this movie with high expectations & a view that everything has to have the utmost artistic integrity, special effects and the best acting and you'll be bitterly disappointed. Watch it with an open mind for silly, dark comedy and b-grade charm and you'll probably be pleasantly surprised!

Page 1 of 24:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]