IMDb > "WCW Monday Nitro" (1995) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"WCW Monday Nitro" More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 6:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]

Nitro By Name, Nitro By Nature

Author: Big Movie Fan from England
26 June 2002

WCW Monday Nitro made it's debut in September 1995 and ran until March 2001-that's almost six years of top notch action. Along with the WWF's Monday Night Raw, Nitro was a brilliant programme.

Along the way we had the big guns such as Hulk Hogan, Sting and Ric Flair but the great thing about Nitro was the way it highlighted some of the undercard wrestlers such as Billy Kidman and Rey Mysterio Jr.

Nitro was a very unpredictable programme for a long while. In one edition Lex Luger made a surprise return to WCW after wrestling in the WWF 24 hours earlier. You never knew what would happen on Nitro-anybody could show up, friendships could be broken up and throughout the series there were some wild brawls.

I strongly recommend tracking down old WCW Nitro tapes particularly from the 1996-1998 era.

Good show, lost it in the end.

Author: Ashley Whitear from Southampton, England
11 December 2002

WCW monday nitro was one of my favourite shows because World Championship Wrestling was my favourite wrestling federation. WCW was good when it started but lost it's buzz because the federation was run by bad bookers.

it was great when the NWO was there

Author: steve layne
29 September 1999

the NWO was by far my favorite angle in the history of wrestling. they were so funny,and so cool. now that the

original NWO isn't there,wcw is often a bore. the show

hardly ever starts off with a bang. it almost always starts out with some boring match with wrestlers you could

less about. however wcw has the best wrestlers in the world,it's just a shame that over half of them are wasted.

hulk hogan returning back to his red,and yellow gimmick

was a fun idea at first,but quickly got old. they need to

turn him back into a heel once again. he's funny as a heel. i still watch the show in hopes that it can be as

good as it was when the original NWO was there,but it never happens. but some shows are still good. only once in

a great while now does nitro have a better show than raw,and i really,truly mean once in a great while. when

the NWO was there this show got a 9 1/2 usually,now the

show gets a 5,but shows few and far between are as good as

a 6 or a 7.

Reply To Above Comment

Author: EJO10488 from United States
7 November 2005

In response to The Flaming Pig's or whatever the stupid name is comments. I would first like to say he/she has no idea what they are talking about and their comments just show how blind they are. The idea that wrestling (pro) is fake isn't because of WCW. It is because of the fact that some attacks/moves are pulled and/or not done with a lot of force and because everything is predetermined. Hulk Hogan went to WCW because he left the WWF with plans to retire, but the fact that WCW was offering so much money, more than the WWF could afford, made him return to the ring. WCW had some of the best talents on their roster and actually used their cruiser weight division correctly, something the WWF/E still fails to do. Why would Mysterio leave WCW to join the WWF when WCW had the better cruiser weight division and could actually use it? Now, how can the NWO be a rip off of DX if the NWO came first? It cant. If anything DX is an NWO rip off since the NWO was the first to use the whole degenerate attitude. So next time do some research before you decide to bash something, buddy. It isn't that hard to look stuff up, unless you are just one of those blind fans who hates WCW for no reason and makes crap up to make your argument look good.

Sucks that it is gone

Author: AWATT19 from Oak Lawn
27 March 2002

March 26, 2001 was one of the saddest days in my life when I saw WCW for the last time. In the past year since that Wrestling has gone to hell. Every week I am subject to some of the most god-awful wrestling on WWF Raw. The only reason I still watch is because there is nothing else on TV that is better. What makes me sad about the situation is that they were so close to selling WCW to Eric Bichoff and he would have brought WCW back to prominence. I miss seeing Goldberg, Sting, Bret Hart, and some of others who are not around.

Classic Wrestling At It's Best...

Author: Patera from Dallas, TX
4 July 2001

This show was the last version of classic professional wrestling at a national level before Sports Entertainment ended. During the Eric Bischoff regime, the show was great and consistent, until the management at Time Warner decided to screw things around (what a surprise!), and try to bring in some guys from the WWF. When WCW Monday Nitro died in 2001, so did a great era in professional wrestling.

This show had its moments.

Author: capthowdy350
12 March 2001

The past six years that this program has been on the air, I would have to say has been both on the plus and negative sides. There has been some very memorable moments on this program such as The N.W.O.'s hostile takeovers, the breaking of young stars like Chris Jericho and Billy Kidman, Arn Anderson's retirement, and the recent emergence of the cruiserweight tag-team division. The down moments have been watching Hulk Hogan trying to make his comeback (over and over again) and some very bad gimmicks like "The Dog" and The "No Limit Soldiers". I am a very big fan of pro wrestling and don't like to just glorify the W.W.F. for being more popular. I like to judge the product itself and in my book W.C.W. Monday Nitro has definitely aired some great moments.

The best TV show in the history of our sport.

Author: Hack-Man from Parts Unknown
27 August 2002

If it hadn't been for Nitro, we'd still be watching midcarders winning squash matches on WWF/WWE television (taped four weeks in advance).

In the last couple of years it was on TV, the critics were quick to pan Nitro, but if you look at tapes of that era (arguably its worst) and compare it to the fare dished out be the McMahon clan, you'll be wishing it was the other of the "Big Two" that folded.

The best there is, was, and ever will be

Author: Sting-22
15 May 1999

WCW Monday Nitro is the best wrestling program on television. Unlike some shows, the main event changes from week to week and everyone (except Ric Flair) keeps their clothes on. The only problem is that sometimes they insult the viewers' intelligence by showing the same thing over and over again and following things a little longer than they have to. For the most part, Nitro is something the whole family can watch and enjoy.

UnderRated

Author: Joe Fino from USA
23 August 2003

I am sick of some of the stupid kids on here that say 'nWo was a RIPOFF of The DX'... If you were to make a valid point, make sure you look at the facts.

nWo was created in 1996... while DX was created in 1998 (I think), the matter of the fact is... nWo was atleast a year before the DX was made.

And for people that saw RAW is better, look at the crap the WWE Shovels at us now. I rather watch Nitro.

I bet all the people who said 'Watch RAW, Its the greatest Wrestling Show' dont even watch the show anymore. And dont blame it on the WCW part of the roster, cause its the WWE Writers, including Vince Mcmahon, who writes this stuff.

So, give WCW a break... It was run by AOL Time Warner, a huge conglomorate, while WWE was run by one man.

The WCW was great, as so was WWE. WCW was just the first one to have bad programming, but it wasn't as bad as the WWE crap today.

Page 1 of 6:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]