IMDb > All About My Mother (1999) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Todo sobre mi madre

All About My Mother More at IMDbPro »Todo sobre mi madre (original title)

Page 4 of 22: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [Next]

Almodóvar has of the heart to be resold

Author: Erwann from France
8 August 2001

A history so deeply moving as it is difficult to believe that it is not true. With lucidity and humor Amoldovar proves us again its capacity to move the spectator. His persons are unique, lost, moved, they belong in current Spain. Spain which keeps its traditions and her colours but which suffer troubles of the current society. His film "ambisex" belongs to those who refuse romancées histories and accept without judging the routes of the persons. One likes this tragedy because it is painted by the paintbrush of the Grand Master Almodóvar !

A fascinating and fabulous study of everything!

Author: moviearistocrat5000 (moviearistocrat5000@hotmail.com) from New Zealand
5 July 2001

ALL ABOUT MY MOTHER (1999) Rating: 10/10

An exploration of women and life as a whole, All About My Mother succeeds admirably in everything it tries to achieve. The drama is fascinating, displaying a real sense of emotion in the characters. There is some comic relief from very sad parts of the film that comes from the transsexual Agrada. The film also fulfils many other genres quietly – romance, adventure etc, and it makes all of them seem real. In fact, that is the word I would describe this movie the most with: real. The film is so fabulously right and I and many other viewers can relate to the characters and the situations, for some people it'd be like someone was following you around you're entire life and written a script just about you and it is, I repeat, real. The acting is brilliant, Cecelia Roth totally stealing the show as the mother of a dead son, Penelope Cruz giving great support in her best role as the HIV positive and pregnant sister Rosa. This is a film that you won't want to end, a simply magnificent movie that is not only one of the best films of 1999, but one of the best non-English films ever.

Only Almodovar can make a film like this

Author: jdaniel-2 from Algeciras, Spain
17 March 2001

I think that Pedro Almodovar is the only person that can put together having a conversation a pregnant nun, a whore transsexual, a lesbian and a woman abandoned by a man that later was a transsexual, and the conversation has sense.

Bravo Pedro, and excuse my bad english.

Welcome to the wonderful world of Almodovar

Author: Andres Bermudez from Bogota, Colombia
17 August 2000

All About My Mother is one of the most enigmatic films I have seen in years; and this is precisely what makes it one of the best contemporary films and this is also why I dare say that time will give this film a place in history. The story is a sad and somber one: five female characters, each one involved in her own drama, Manuela has lost her only child and takes a journey back into her past to look for the child's father, Agrado is a struggling prostitute in need of a friend, Nina a neurotic actress addicted to heroine, Huma Rojo is a desperate woman in search of love, and Sister Rosa is a young nun with two big problems, she is pregnant and is HIV positive. Such a display of human dramas seems demoralizing, but the truth is Almodovar gives the audience the story in a fresh way; never evading the drama, the film itself is not somber, but radiant with hope, faith and friendship. Almodovar has always been very good in depicting the female world; but this is his most outstanding creation, a beautiful mixture of a superb screenplay which I think every persona that sees it can relate to, a story which fills us with tears and smiles at the same time. Cinema is truly a way of communication, and what Almodovar achieves with this film is an undeniable connection with the spectator, almost every watcher was deeply touched by it. A coincidence? I don't think so, it's the work of a master contemporary (and sometimes underrated) director. We can't say that only Almodovar shone with this movie, for every element in it is outstanding, every performance is riveting. The performance of Cecilia Roth (Manuela) should have been an Academy Award nomination at least. The entire supporting cast was incredible, specially Antonia San Juan (Agrado, the prostitute). The cinematography is beautiful and the tango influenced score was a hit. I will also venture to say that this is the best film I have seen in my life, one the same lines as Casablanca, Psycho and A Clockwork Orange. Thank you Pedro Almodovar for this film! My verdict: Evidently a 10 out of 10.

Todo sobre mi padre

Author: barak (bosko@infomall.co.il) from Israel
7 August 1999

Before I start talking too much, let me first say: GO SEE THAT MOVIE !

not only it has a wonderful plot, touching acting and unique incidents, but also it is made aesthetically, with great shots, and amazing ideas. for example, at the beginning of the movie, when the boy is writing in his diary, the director chose to show the paper's point of view, and so you see a pencil's tip pointed at the viewers. moreover, some specific shots, of barcelona from above, was breathtaking. now about the plot, i must say that the repeating indications of the boy's searches for his father... and the facts that we know and that the mother didn't have the chance to tell her son... about lola, it has a very strong emotional effect, and when lola reads esteban's diary (at the end of the movie), i must say it made me cry. the good thing, after watching such a tragic film is the happy ending... to sum this up - go see the movie !!! now !

A flamboyant visual treat at its top form

Author: M A from Hong Kong
22 December 2008

A flamboyant and immensely colourful story of the lives of a group of socially marginalised women and women-wanna-be and how these women feel bonded to one another and support one another in each of their extraordinary and difficult lives. Very comical and lyrical, and above all, an utmost aesthetic and very visual treat to the eye and sensualities.

Throughout the movie, so many shots were done to their respective cinematic and photographic perfection to an extent I for a few occasions could not stop freezing the shots in order just to watch the still pictures for a few more seconds in detail. The excellent use of lightings and colours laid a flamboyantly vivid and energetic and almost surreal backdrop for the director's story-telling. The shots with Manuela holding a colourful umbrella in the rain watching his son run down by a car, Rosa going into the "not very furbished" yet dream-like flat she recently rented, and Agrado's flat seemingly with Gaudi's architecture in every inch of it……truly a master of colours You don't have to feel connected to the women and and women-wanna-be in order to enjoy this film. The mere process of watching the colours unfolding, assimilating and crystallising on the screen is already a massive visual treat.

Full immersion into emotional turmoil and lifestyle alternatives

Author: Tiger (roguegenius) from United States
24 February 2007

It would be hard to have the decision of what the title of this movie should have been. It is an homage to "All About Eve," but the speaker did not know as much about his mother as he thought.

The story was engrossing, to say the least, as we followed the lead character through her grieving over the untimely death of her young son, her search to tell his long-lost father about his loss, and finding herself getting immersed in a wholly different universe than she lived in while she was raising the deceased son.

Every character in the movie was endearing, in one way or another, except maybe for Nina, but, in the end, maybe she found a redeeming life at last.

The ease with which different social issues were dealt with, compassionately, allowing the character's humanity show through no matter how depraved you felt their lifestyle to be, made this a throughly enjoyable trip through the seedier side of life. I'd recommend this movie to anyone who is inclined to see how the other side lives. It would be one I would gladly hope some would see so as to maybe understand that no matter what, all of us are "human" under whatever guises we wear in our day to day lives.

To mother, with love.

Author: sonicboomboy from NYC NJ USA
18 December 2002

Having children of my own and understanding how close you can be to them helped make this one of my top favorite movies of all time. I saw this movie on opening weekend in NYC's Angelica Theater. Aldomovar touched every part of my heart with his characters. I loved it and proudly own it on DVD.

perfict

Author: leiwin
11 December 2002

this is the second time I see Almodovar's movie, it is still a very strange style,though not a surreal movie. i really like this kind of strange style and i can not exactly explain my feeling after seeing it, but i know that i can get something fresh in my mind. Almodovar is a genius and the acting is brilliant.i rank this movie a 10.

One of the Best Spanish Movies Ever

Author: Steven Prasetya (prasetya.steven@mailcity.com) from matthew
17 October 2000

Pedro Almodovar deserves two thumbs up for this movie. It's so natural and yet moving. He took the audience deep inside a mother's mind, whose son was killed before knowing who his father was. This movie follows her life after the incident step by step. Cecilia Roth is great in her role as the mother. Eloy Azorín is brilliant as her son (by the way, I think he will be great as teenage Anakin Skywalker, instead of Hayden Christensen). But Antonia San Juan is simply the best in portraying Agrado, the transvestite. All in all, this movie is one of the best Spanish movies ever, alongside of "Belle Epoque" and "Like Water For Chocolate".