IMDb > Gorgeous (1999) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Boh lei chun

Gorgeous More at IMDbPro »Boh lei chun (original title)

Page 1 of 11:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Jackie Chan in... a romantic comedy?

Author: AwesomeWolf from Australia
30 November 2004

Version: Columbia/Tristar DVD, Cantonese with English subtitles

A somewhat different offering from Jackie Chan in 'Gorgeous'. Bu (Shu Qi) is bored in Taiwan, and after reading a message in a bottle, she goes to Hong Kong to search out a mysterious stranger (Tony Leung), who turn out to be not be exactly what she expected. Eventually she meets C.N. Chan (Jackie) and grows close to him. Meanwhile, Bu's fiancée is looking for her and Jackie has troubles with Lo (Emil Chau), a childhood friend and now business rival.

I have to admit that I enjoyed this, even though romantic-comedies aren't really my thing. It isn't your usual Jackie Chan-style, but if he wants to try something different, then I will gladly support him. I found 'Gorgeous' funny, although others will disagree. There isn't much action, but when there is, it is excellent. The two fight scenes with Brad Allan are some of the best fight-scenes Jackie has ever filmed. They really are incredible, but in the end, this really is more of a 'feel good' movie than anything else.

Apparently the version I have is cut by 20 minutes, missing a cameo Stephen Chow. Damn. Stephen Chow is cool.

'Gorgeous' isn't for everyone - fans of the Chan-man should check it out, but I'm not guaranteeing you'll enjoy it as much I did. 7/10

Gorgeous indeed

Author: shirow-1 from Mauritius
3 April 2004

Gorgeous is not a typical Jackie Chan movie. Many people look out for it, expecting it to have that dazzling dose of wacky and insane stunts only Chan can have in his movies. If this is your case, you may as well look for another movie such as Dragons Forever or the number one Chan movie of all time, The Legend of the Drunken Master.

Gorgeous is instead a romantic flick where Shu Qi sets out to try and win Chan's heart after being led to leave her small town by a hilarious Tony Leung. Where most would expect totally unrealistic scenes with a totally unstoppable Chan, Gorgeous thus shows how a love affair strikes between Jackie Chan and Shu Qi, how the latter lies too much, and how things eventually work out in the end (how surprising!)

It's good to see Chan at least trying to do something different. And he is amazingly believable in a movie where he actually has his first on-screen kiss. Granted, his role doesn't require that much depth, but he still performs well, and Shu Qi is also decent.

And, while the movie is quite serious, a few humoristic scenes still make it thoroughly enjoyable. Tony Leung is astounding as a depressive homosexual who ends up being beaten around by Chan, and the other goons have witty dialogues.

But!

While it is a romantic movie, Gorgeous nevertheless has a couple of fights. And it seems the more serious tone of the movie really benefited the fighting because this flick has the most astounding fight seen ever seen on-screen, bar none, even topping the final fight in Drunken Master 2.

Things get started when Howie, Chan's rival, sets out to hire someone to beat him in a fight because as he say himself, he is totally 'useless' as a martial artist and always ends up losing. So, he hires the devilish kicker Brad Allan to do his dirty work. The main fight between Allan and Chan is simply astounding, even more so when one considers that Allan actually didn't use any wirework in the movie. They fight twice in the movie, but the first one mainly serves as a prelude to the second one, and I swear I was literally drooling when I saw the first fight scene.

If anything else, Chan fans just have to see this movie to know what Chan is capable of doing in a real fighting scene when he's not busy throwing chairs and tables at his opponent. The main fight is superb although I suspect Allan's kicking prowess and fast fighting makes it shine even more. And the music is absolutely top-notch; it's up there with Mystikal Fever from Kiss of the Dragon as one of the best fight themes done for a movie.

Gorgeous may come off as a joke movie, but in the end, it turned out to be one the best Chan movies, which is made even more obvious by the fact that it's a sole romantic effort among Chan's exhaustive action flicks. The movie as a whole is excellent, and I was taken aback by the brilliance of the fight scenes.

One Great Movie

Author: adam_new17
20 March 2005

Well for a start this movie is underrated. I don't think that an average rating of 5.4 justifies how good this movie really is.

This is the first movie that i have ever seen that uses comedy, romance, and martial arts to such a good effect in a movie. Sure, there are other Jackie Chan films with hints of romance, and there is always lots of fun and excitement, but this movie is different, because unlike a lot of his other movies, this one is based on a romantic story, yet still has a lot of great martial arts and some laughs to offer its audience.

What makes this such a great movie for me is that the choreography for the fighting I thought was excellent. The romantic storyline is simple yet effective. It is an easy movie to to watch and enjoy.

Now the rating.... a lot of people probably thought this was going to be an action packed movie. Now there is quite a lot of action considering this movie was intended to be a romance/comedy. It just proves that Jackie Chan can pull off a romantic comedy really well.

Not like other Jackie Chan movies.

Author: martymaster (martymaster@hotmail.com) from Fredrikstad, Norway
4 February 2002

This movie is not like other Jackie Chan movies,this movie concentrates more on the story and romance,rather than the fighting. It still has one really cool fight scene. I enjoyed this movie even though it was different,it got lots of humor and some romantic moments.

If you are looking for lots of fight scenes then this movie is not your first pic,but if you would like to see Jackie Chan in a different role,then this is the movie for you.

A Smile On Your Face Is Guaranteed...

Author: bimsie99 from Phoenix, Arizona
15 March 2004

Being a big Jackie Chan fan,and knowing from experience how much better the HK versions of his films are,I picked the HK version of this up last week,and I cant tell you how much I loved this one.Im probably one of the few Jackie fans stateside that likes the humor in most of his older movies,as well as the action,so this one really made me laugh,and Shu Qi is just luminous as the female lead.One thing I really liked about this one was the charactarizations of so many of the other players had real dimension to them,including the so called bad guys.And Ive noticed that most of the best one on one fight scenes in his movies are the ones with a fighter thats treated as an equal,and fought as clean,fair fights,(examples:In Wheels on Meals,Dragons Forever,Who Am I,etc.)and his two fights with Bradely James Allen are good examples of this. I know a lot of guys who watch Jackie just for the fights and stunts are dissapointed with this one,the rest of us with a more open mind will probably like this almost as much as I do.

Delightful Romantic Adventure

Author: Claudio Carvalho from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
20 November 2015

In a fishing village in Taiwan, the dreamer Bu (Shu Qi) loves fairy tales and has just been proposed by the fish man Louie. However, her dolphin finds a bottle with a love message inside and the romantic Bu decides to seek out the author Albert (Tony Leung) in Hong Kong. However she is frustrated when she discovers that Albert is gay and the message is for his former boyfriend. Meanwhile, the millionaire and wolf broker C.N. Chan (Jackie Chan), who owns a recycling company, has a serious love and business competition with the businessman Howie Lo (Emil Chau) since they were students. Bu witnesses Lo's bodyguards hitting Chan and she helps him with her boat. They have an accident and spend the night together in a small island. On the next morning, Chan brings Bu to his fancy apartment and she does not give her true name to him. Bu also plots a scheme with Albert to lure Chan to become her boyfriend. Meanwhile Howie hires a skilled fighter to beat and humiliate Chan. Will Bu succeed in her intent?

"Boh lei chun", a.k.a. "Gorgëous", is a delightful romantic adventure with a silly but entertaining story and perfect chemistry between Jackie Chan and Shu Qi. The fight choreography is another attraction of this film. The moral value of the fights between Bradley James Allan and Jackie Chan is another important point in this film. My vote is seven.

Title (Brazil): "O Grande Desafio" ("The Great Challenge")

Confusing fun.

Author: daan_de_geus from Netherlands
21 April 2007

Confusing movie. It's a love story action and comedy in one piece, in a very Jackie way. I was looking at it and thought to myself, wow It's rocky meets notting hill Jackie Style. The fights with Brad Allen are cool and the rest of the fights are funny. The girl that's on Jackie's to do list is very cute! Also a nice performance by that guy that plays a gay, he's really popular and famous I think, but I forgot his name. The fights with Brad Allen (together with the brilliant comedy of the Henchmen) highlighted this movie for me. It seems that they used wires and sped it up a bit, but it's awesome none the less. Keep your eyes on Brad Allen's feet. His footwork is awesome!

Romantic Jackie Chan movie

Author: David-2181 from United Kingdom
31 July 2005

This is a Jackie Chan movie with a difference, it is also a romantic film. The same Jackie trademarks are exhibited, the action scenes and the humour, but the romantic angle is fuller than in his other films. The storyline is based on an old concept, a message in a bottle, but updated. The characters are well chosen and believable. The action scenes are up to Jackies usual standard with plenty of humour mixed in. I really enjoyed this movie as it caters for all the included genres equally. For those who enjoy purely action films stick to Bruce Lee or John Woo. It was not the best romantic comedy I have ever seen, but this is one of the best films that span several genres in equal amounts. Awarded an 8 but perhaps should have been a 9 for its successful mix of styles.

Light romance between Jackie Chan and Shu Qi (Gorgeous)

Author: ebiros2 from United States
12 June 2009

Although Jackie is about 20 years senior to Shu Qi, their chemistry works in this movie. This is a light hearted romance with quite a bit of kung-fu action mixed in. Jackie is a tycoon living in Hong Kong. He meets Shu Qi who arrived from Taiwan by chance and older Jackie shows her about town in his millionaire style.

Shu Qi is great in this movie. She brings fresh element to old school Jackie Chan movie which says to me that she has talent. She generates personality that's so perfect for this movie,and I loved the way story unfolded between them.

Quality of production is good as always in Jackie Chan movie. He's not playing a strait romeo he usually plays with his women co-stars in this movie, and acknowledges that he's a bit older character now.

Not as many unexpected plots or action you'd expect from Jackie Chan movie, but the experimental aspect of bringing much younger Shu Qi worked in this one.

Good movie, but check out the HK DVD

Author: Pat McCurry (acehighpat@aol.com) from Wilton, NH
3 May 2003

After Rush Hour, Jackie went back to Hong Kong to try his hand at something different. What it turned out to be was the romantic comedy Gorgeous. Jackie said this would probably never get shown in the States because it was too Asian for a western audience, but Columbia TriStar picked it up and I bought it when it was priced to buy. I thought it was a good story with a few good fight scenes, but the dubbing was awful. The voices were all overplayed and Jackie didn't use his own voice for this one. Bradley James Allan makes a huge splash in the fight scenes he's in with Jackie. Shu Qi is great as the innocent and childlike Bu, as she sees everything as a fairy tale. I think the reason a lot of people didn't like this one was because Columbia TriStar hyped it up as an action flick, rather than a romantic comedy. Even the back of the video box makes it out to be a action piece. I knew long before I saw it that it was different, so I knew what I was getting into.

I got the Hong Kong DVD of this movie today and it was much better. There is more detail to the story rather than the story jumping around like it does in the U.S. edit. The DVD also has lots of features on it. These features include a trailer, an interview with Jackie and director Vincent Kok, a making of featurette (where Jackie states he enjoyed making it more than Rush Hour), and the music video to the song from the film (Two versions actually, Cantonese and Mandarin).

Of course this will never be as good as his other movies like Police Story or Who Am I?, but I give him credit for trying something different. It worked well for me and had enough fight scenes in it to amuse me.

Page 1 of 11:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]