IMDb > The Prophecy 3: The Ascent (2000) (V) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 7:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]

Excellent movie, good fun

Author: Sentinel-15 from Antwerp, Belgium
1 June 2004

I loved the first Prophecy movie. A whole new take on religion & mythology, dipped in post-Pulp Fiction action & entertainment.

Though a bit of a disappointment, I still liked the sequel.

And then came part 3. Great stuff! An intriguing story - though perhaps not entirely satisfactory in the end - providing a sense of closure to the series.

We see familiar faces from previous parts make a re-appearance, neatly tying things together. Gabriel himself, having lived as a human for many years since part 2, has come to see the world from an entirely different perspective, changing his role in the series, and making for some interesting and funny scenes and dialogue.

On an action level this does not disappoint either. The angels fight in interesting ways; their fights and jumping around seem kind of Matrix-inspired, but not as over-the-top CGI-ed as in Matrix.

All in all, this movie is great fun. If you liked the first movie, give the other parts a chance. Otherwise, you'll be missing out, IMHO.

A Great End to a Great Series

Author: kdladage from Marion, IA
10 November 2003

First, let me say that I loved the first film in this series. I liked the second one; but after seeing the third, and how it ties things together from all three films and completes the tale, I love them all.

Make no mistake, the second and third film change the direction of the story told in the first one quite dramatically. In fact, many items that were throw-aways from the first film come back to become rather important details once the three films are put together.

In this trilogy we see the fall, redemption, rise and ascent of Gabriel as one of the generals in God's Army. And Mr. Walken is at his best for all three films.

Not bad at all

Author: antialias11 from Bonn, Germany
3 April 2005

Well the third part of the installment is enjoyable. It has some weaknesses, but overall I didn't mind watching it.

The Weaknesses: No recognizable angelic names in it (with the exception of Gabriel). The bad guy (Zophael) is a total no-name, so you don't really know how to rank him (powerful/not powerful), which wasn't really a problem in the first part. There you knew that Simon was more powerful than Uziel; that Gabriel could beat Simon's ass; and that Lucifer could smack them all to hell in a handbasket.

Funnily this works to advantage for the movie as you don't really know which side of the factions Zophael and who actually is the good/bad guy until somewhat in the middle of the movie.

The actors aren't all that good (with the exception of Walken, Spano - who brings that charisma back to the angels that was so severely lacking in the second part- and the Coroner who has grown to be one of my favourite characters in the three movies)

Strenghts: The storyline is closed. I won't argue that it's the most coherent storyline, but it at least makes some moderate sense in itself. The musical score has always been one of the big things about the trilogy and they kept it -wisely- unchanged for the most part. This time around we have more funny scenes and even some jabs at the original 'The Prophecy', while not making it campy and keeping all the good bits (fights, heart ripping, supernatural powers etc.). Some of the moves seem very Matrix-like, but that was already the case in 'The Prophecy II', so I don't really know who copied from whom (It just seems so similar: Humans fighting against some overly powerful and nigh unkillable opponents in cool long dark suits). No matter: It's fun to watch. This time we also don't get treated to some candy sweet religious thing in the end, where the main character suddenly becomes a devout Christian - that's a big plus.

Overall, I'd recommend seeing this film. Best if viewed together with the other two or you will not get many of the references.

My second favorite of the series

Author: Ivan Ravenous from California
17 May 2000

I was pleasantly surprised when I watched Prophecy III. After enjoying the first two immensely, I had expected the series to fall apart in its final installment. The third film, however, is a pleasure to watch, and not just for the incomparable Christopher Walken. Vincent Spano (Zophael) was excellent, and had great lines (especially in the donut shop scene, where he says "I'll take one of those...with the coloured fragments on top"). I thought Dave Buzzotta played a good Danyael (except near the end, when he seemed to get a little snotty).

My only complaint is that I don't think Christopher Walken was meant to have long hair...

In all a great sequel!

Pretty Good, if you've seen 1 & 2

Author: yojimbo999 from Earth
17 March 2001

This film follows the original and the first sequel very closely. In fact, you could put the three movies together back to back to back and have a coherent movie and think you're watching one big movie. Long story short: Gabriel (Walken) is leading a band of rebel angels who in the original and first sequel is bent on destroying the human race so they can become God's favorite kids again; this sequel, Gabriel is reduced to being a human (you become what you hate, et cetera), and is somewhat of a good guy (or is he?)?

This movie itself was pretty good. I especially like the continuity from sequel to sequel, kind of like catching up to familiar old buds. The acting was pretty good, the terminator/bad angel was pretty appealing, and Danyael was played well. No big sfx to speak off (this is a dtv, after all), and the female lead goes from mediocre to just plain can't-act-her-way-out-of-a-bag bad. In fact, the movie lags only when the Maggie character is onscreen. She has very little charisma and has even less talent. Everything rings fake, and in a movie where there are angels running and walking around in longcoats, credibility is already stretched thin -- it doesn't help if your female lead looks like she got the part not because of her acting skills, but because she looks good in a shirt that shows off her midriff.

Good movie if you like the Prophecy storyline, which I think this movie was made for. Budget couldn't have been more than a few million, and I'm pretty sure most of that went to Walkens, who got top billing despite being a supporting character. The kid who played Danyael was also pretty good, and the terminator-angel was also good.

At the end of this movie, I can't help but hope for a 3rd sequel. I just love this storyline, it'd be nice to see what happened in a Prophecy 4. Since they spent so little money on this, and I'm pretty sure the returns are pretty good, here's hoping for a 3rd sequel.

Pretty good

Author: MyOpinionIsFact from United States
4 April 2000

The Prophesy 3 was somewhat disappointing but still an above average flick. I would say it is the least of the three movies. The finale did not seem to be worth making a trilogy about. Plus it is somewhat confusing what happened at the end. The scope of the first two films led me to expect something grander. On a positive note, the special effects in this installment were the best of the trilogy.

The pace was a little stop-and-go for my taste: too many flashbacks and too long between the action. The humorous parts were funny but at the same time it undermined the atmosphere that the series is based on.

Christopher Walken again stole the show. He has perhaps the best delivery of any actor and can manage to handle lines that should have never been in the script. The two costars I thought lacked screen presence (or at least compared to Walken).

Overall, this was an enjoyable ending to a surprisingly good trilogy.

Mediocre Sequel 2: The Descent

Author: JoeytheBrit from www.moviemoviesite.com
11 May 2002

More of the same in the third instalment of the Prophecy series, and, by now, the quality of storyline is coming perilously close to the level of your standard stalk-and-slash flick. Not as dark as No 2, and not so impenetrable, this movie does at least move at a faster pace, even though there is very little to absorb the viewer.

Struggling to fill its short running time of 83 minutes, the movie is padded with new hero Danyael's regular and monotonous flashbacks/visions, which are presumably intended to intrigue the viewer but only succeed in first confusing, and then boring them. Patrick Lussier's flashy, tricksy direction is also a major distraction that adds nothing. Christopher Walken, the one constant throughout the series, swaps over to the good side in this one, and is relegated to a supporting role, which is a shame because he is always interesting to watch. Despite this, he has the best scene in the movie – driving along a desert highway, playing his horn to Telstar (I think) on the radio; totally irrevelant to the plot, and at odds with the tone of the movie, but a real nice surprise in the midst of all the mediocrity. Vincent Spano is ok as the new bad guy, but he just can't compete with Walken in the previous two movies.

For diehard fans of the series only.

Beautiful

Author: athlynne81 from United States
24 October 2006

I think many people mistakenly classify these movies as "B" horror, and that's unfair. "The Ascent", in particular, has a few very profound moments, as well as a decent story, great dialogue and a depth that more than makes up for the occasional plot confusion and slightly lacking special effects. Christopher Walken delivers what I think is one of his best performances.

If you like thoughtful movies that will keep you pondering past the credits, this is a good one. Even if you don't much care for the two that precede this one, it's worth a look. The "Prophecy" series does what too few trilogies do - saves the best for last.

All's well that ends well

Author: Richard van Santen (erichie@xs4all.nl) from Rotterdam. The Netherlands
3 January 2004

Great! I liked it! It made up for the disappointing second part. Even neatly tied up some of its loose ends. In retrospect you might even believe that part 2 was a brave underachiever that failed to deliver on purpose, because it was only meant as a bridge between 1 and 3. But let's not get carried away.

Christopher Walken driving in a beat up convertible through the desert, playing the trumpet. Need I say more?

Better than the second, not as good as the first...

Author: Amityville15 from England
18 September 2014

Gabriel is now a human after the events in The Prophecy 2, however the war in heaven still rages on. Pyriel rises to power and now he wants to destroy mankind. Standing in his way is Danyael who is the product of an angel and a woman. However Danyael is unaware why he is being courted by Pyriel and needs Gabriel to help him understand his purpose.

This film starred: Christopher Walken, Dave Buzzotta & Vincent Spano.

The Prophecy 3 is the concluding chapter of The Prophecy trilogy (not counting the two rip-off sequels that came out in 2005) and The Prophecy 3 was released in 2000. In my opinion this is the same as the second film only slightly better. The Prophecy 2 was dark and quite boring, this one tried it's very best with what they had left after the second film and in my opinion, I didn't like the second one, so for me it was too much of a task for the producers and director to do. I don't recommend this film unless you are a big Prophecy fan, because other than that this film will probably bore you like it did with me and in my opinion the only decent one is the first one, so I will keep that in my film collection but I will not miss the second one or this one on my shelf.

**/***** Poor.