IMDb > "Rurouni Kenshin: Wandering Samurai" (1996) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Rurouni Kenshin"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Rurouni Kenshin: Wandering Samurai" More at IMDbPro »"Rurouni Kenshin" (original title)

Page 1 of 6:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]

Legends of the Wanderer

Author: SoulfulFX from Virginia
13 August 2003

This is a truly fantastic series... dramatic characters, a hero that is capable of huge mood swings (from goofy, to romantic, to blood thirsty), and female characters that you would swear your life to protect or swear..well... I must be civil.

Great sword-fighting actions scenes, a drop of history (it takes place in the 1870s), and some philosophizing about living a life of violence versus peace make this series cover the gamut of emotions a viewer wants from any series, not just anime.

I hope everyone can take notice of this story, it is not for everyone, but it hits so many points relevant to our current world order: from terrorism (bad guys attacking the fragile government), to being able to look at the world as something other than a battlefield (Kenshin vowing not to kill after so many years as an assassin).

One of the best anime series ever made!

Author: au_law2001 from Philippines
14 January 2005

This is one of the most memorable and most recognizable anime I know, with a cast of great characters and story lines and funny sub-plots, it's everything you'd want to see in an anime. It starts out as Kenshin Himura a wanderer in the Meiji era, ends with a kendo teacher Kaoru Kamiya, and he starts living with her, and eventually she finds out this is no ordinary traveler, this is Battousai, the slasher! An infamous samurai who killed a lot of people in his past. But finds him to be a sweet gentle man who is kind towards children, who wants to restore peace, and end his days as a slasher. Later more characters appear, Yahiko, and then Sanosuke, then Megumi. A great cast with very dark and dramatic backgrounds filled with tragedies. Every episode seems to give each character some background and info and their dark secrets. The soundtracks are also great, I love the one by L~Arc~Ciel in the latter episodes. The sword fighting is also cool, and unforgettable. But wait, a few characters portrayed or based on actual people, like Saitou Hajime and Aritomo Yamagata, oh my, I wonder if they were really like that in real life, I mean their personalities as seen here. Anyways recommended to all anime fans, and to non-anime fans who are not familiar with anime yet, forget Dragon Ball or Pokemon, watch this.

Master of anime and of the sword

Author: SoulfulFX from Virginia
17 August 2003

This is one of the greatest anime series I have ever seen. I have been introduced anime on relatively recently...1997 at earliest. In that time, I've gotten my hands on a number of really good and really bad shows. Kenshin is definitely among the best.

The dynamic emotions of Kenshin himself as well as the mix of humor and philosophy of life vs. death in the show make it exceptionally entertaining and captivating.

The mutual devotion between Kenshin and his friends, Kaoru, Sanoske, Yahiko, etc... is amazing to watch as it develops and is put to the test.

The sadistic enemies, and the foolish ones, all provide foils that drive the plot and cause the viewer to be moved as Kenshin struggles to throw off his murderous past in favor of a life defending his honor, his friends, and the innocent.

If you are a long time anime-buff, or a new fan of the genre...this series is a must-see.

Love it!!!

Author: dezzie-jane from United States
1 February 2007

I must say that this is THE BEST ANIME I have EVER seen!!! It definitely is the perfect mix of romance, story, history, mystery, and all other good things all rolled into one series!

I especially love it because of its strong storyline and characters. Every character has a history and this anime has been created in a way that allows them to show you that background on each character, making each character all the more interesting. I also like the subtle romance it portrays and the way that it intertwines real Japanese history with fiction - that was probably the best part, actually.

Anyway, from the first episode, I was hooked...I was so hooked, I finished the series within like a month and half. Now, I'm on to reading the manga, which is just as good as the anime. This is one anime that I can watch over and over and not get bored of!

Excellent!A good story,the best animation ever!

Author: Francisco from Porto, Portugal
18 October 2002

Excellent!A good story,the best animation ever!I love this series.The story of a samurai who wants a new life and protect the people.The music is superb,and the action scenes are fantastic.This is a good drama.10\10

One of the best animes there is, and the best of its kind

Author: GGrievous from Lisbon, Portugal
10 September 2007

I first saw this great anime when I was about 10 or 11 years old, and by that time I didn't know what anime was so I didn't care much about this series...I mean, I liked it but for me it was just another show on TV. Now, 8 years later, I get the chance of rewatch this series again, and I came the conclusion: This is a truly fantastic series!!!! It has great sword fighting actions scenes, a hero that is capable of huge mood swings (I love kenshin's goofy faces), some real history, dramatic characters, a great story and the music is superb. One thing I did like is the fact that the main character, Kenshin, never kills the opponent and have good sense of moral. Kenshin is one of the best characters in anime history in my opinion, and Shishio, the mummy guy as some people know him, is by far the best villain in the series and also one of the greatest villains in anime history, at least in my opinion. Every character in this series has a history and this anime has been created in a way that allows them to show you that background on each character, making each character very interesting and unique.

You cannot call yourself a true anime fan without watching Rurouni Kenshin, and if you like samurai and things like that you will certainly love this series. I was hooked from the first episode and I'm very sad for not be able to find the DVDs.

In my opinion it is the best anime in its class, and so I give it a perfect 100/10!!!!

One of the many great anime masterpieces

Author: bbally81 from Middlesex, UK
19 August 2004

Rurouni Kenshin, is one of the best animes I've ever seen. I first discovered RK when I downloaded the first chapter of the manga. Then I became addicted to it as the story of a wandering swordsman trying to atone for his sins really got me excited and started downloading more manga issues. The first time I saw the anime version was after I downloaded the first episode. Now Rurouni Kenshin comes on my satellite dish on LBC SAT from Lebenon. I give this anime 10/10 it is an anime masterpiece that shouldn't be missed. A must see not just for anime fans but for fans of the samurai or chambara genre(Akira Kurosawa's Seven Samurais and Zatoichi) as well.

One of the essential Anime titles for the anime fan.

Author: VichusSmith from New York
28 January 2001

Ruroni Kenshin (Known in Samurai X in the US) is one of the greatest animes of all time. Ruroni Kenshin has everything an anime fan could want: a compelling story, interesting characters, and equal amounts of bloodshed and character development. I have seen a few episodes of the subtitled version and the first two OAV's "Trust" and "Betrayal.

I recommend both of them, but the subtitled version is much better.

If you haven't seen it before, then buy it (don't rent) and add it to your anime collection. It is an essential anime title for the anime fan I also recommend Ghost in the shell, Ninja scroll, the Dragonball Z and Gundam series

There's only one word for this show- superb

Author: MeloDee from Texas, U.S.A.
24 June 2003

Where do I start? This show rocks! A lot of people have cable

or satelite TV, and if you're one of them, lucky for you! Just tune in to Cartoon Network every day at five-thirty (central time) and watch this show. I'm not asking you- I am COMMANDING you! You gotta see this! It's not often that a TV show I absolutely love comes along, so please, take my word on this. I am not going to give you quotes from the show, or anything of the like. I am not going to summarize the story or anything like that. I am just going to present the facts. This show is superb. If you don't watch it... you ARE going to watch it. There is no doubt about. We have an agreement that whoever reads this is going to watch this Rurouni Kenshin. In fact, if you don't have cable and can't get it, I advise that you BUY the DVDs. Now, no more... you are going to watch this show that deserves more praise than I can possibly give it. For your sake and my own (do not cause me the pain of having to stay up late at night weeping, hoping that you have seen the goodness I can't describe). Please watch it. PLEEEASE!

a masterpiece!

Author: karcat_2003 from Mexico
26 August 2005

Without any doubt this is one of the best animated series ever done and my favored of all times.

The way they combine fiction and real facts of Japanese history occurred during the Mei Ji era make it more interesting.

What make it different from other Japanese series is that in this case the main character, Kenshin Himura, has a real purpose to fight for in order to mend all those terrible things he did in the past.

Another point about it is the way they combine drama, action, romance and comedy. The backgrounds and the music are just brilliant and exquisite. There's no doubt these series has one of the best soundtracks.

Page 1 of 6:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]