IMDb > "The PJs" (1999) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"The PJs"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"The PJs" More at IMDbPro »

Genius !

Author: abarsby from UK
15 May 2004

We in the UK seem to come across little gem's like this years after our American friends, what with the show already cancelled in 2001 over there.

They have only recently started putting this on two episodes at a time on C4 in UK at 2am, and next week it sadly disappears from the schedules.

I have to say I love this programme as much as "The Simpson's", it's Eddie Murphy back to his best, as funny as he used to be back in his old standup shows in the 80's.

I only hope they bring this out on DVD, Sadly, they probably won't.

I want more

Author: lordcapoka@yahoo.com from Boston
21 November 2002

This was a really good show. It was funny, clever, merorable, creative, and loveable. It will always have a special place in my heart. The show had great claymation, Eddie Murphy, Loretta Devine and originallity. It needs to be reaired. Once again Fox cut a great show.

Brilliantly written, "acted" comic masterpiece.

Author: lostworlds1 from New York
30 September 2003

THE PJs is not PC. It is a staggeringly funny claymation masterpiece on every level: written, acted (as in radio acting), visual and animated. The consistency and literacy of Eddie Murphy and his gang's "vision" needs an appreciative, knowing audience that can follow the shotgun blast of references in every line. It's also rather a loving look at Murphy's Brooklyn from inside the tube, as opposed to the saccharine veneer one is drugged with whenever he flicks on the remote. Not a show for morons, hence its failure. Murphy's realized his great potential with this one. No compromises, just awesomely funny brilliance. He should be proud. Miss this and you've missed a great one. Now when will it be avail. on DVD, Eddie?

"Once upon a time in the projects..."

Author: Victor Field from London, England
11 July 2003

In one of the first of "The Simpsons"'s annual Halloween specials (incidentally, why is each episode referred to as "Treehouse of Horror" everywhere but in the on-screen credits?), we see a graveyard with tombstones for "Fish Police," "Family Dog" and "Capitol Critters," extremely shortlived shows that came up as a result of the first wave of animated shows in the wake of The Greatest TV Show Ever. "The PJs" would probably be included if such a stunt was to be tried again, but while many short-lived prime time cartoons deserve it ("Gary & Mike" and "Stressed Eric," anyone?), this one was more worthy of praise than most.

Set in the Hilton Jacobs Projects (the very name suggests the writers know their TV) in an unnamed city, this series focused on building superintendent Thurgood, wife Muriel, and the tenants - of which there seemed to be surprisingly few for such a big building; the series was fairly high on stereotyping with its characters (although one can't help noticing that one tenant, a Jamaican never clearly seen because of all his marijuana smoke, was soon dropped) and in the later episodes suffered from trying to emulate "The Simpsons" a bit too closely, and from shows like the spoof of season finales "Cliffhangin' With Mr Super" (that format doesn't really suit this show) ... the episodes where co-creator/executive producer Eddie Murphy didn't supply Thurgood's voice also suffered when Phil Morris subbed (it's impossible to not hear him and think "Jackie Chiles!").

But Will Vinton's Foamation technique, plus the simple fact that many of the shows actually were very funny, made up for a lot; the characters of Thurgood - loud, a couch potato ("Jack Lord is my shepherd, and I shall not want to turn him down!"), lazy, but still somehow likeable - and the others, plus the fact that every character got at least one story of their own, made up for the rest. (It's interesting that the most intelligent character on the show is Smokey, a homeless recovering crack addict.) The series may have been weighed down by the promise of its credits (former "Simpsons" writer Steve Tompkins co-created the show with future "The Bernie Mac Show" creator Larry Wilmore; Ron Howard was one of the show's eight (!) executive producers), but it was better than many similar live action shows; an underrated pleasure.

"NEXT!"

I thought it was a riot!

Author: avro-arrow (avro.arrow@sympatico.ca) from Toronto, Ontario
29 May 2004

I really miss this series. The first time I saw it I had a SPLITTING headache, and was just flipping channels. I started watching, and I couldn't stop laughing. It made me completely forget my headache! The humour may have been directed at people who live in the "Projects", but I found many gaffs applied to all of society. Afterwards, I tuned in as often as I could, but it seemed to be on again, off again. I will never forget the "Crack-Head" character (Smokey or Sparky I think) riding down a hill in a shopping cart yelling "I'm the king of the world" a la Titanic. I think Eddie Murphy really had a hit on his hands, and I wonder why it went off the air. If anyone knows why it was dropped, could you let me know, please?

Thanks!

Best urban humor in a long time

Author: J. Canker Huxley from USA
1 April 1999

Interesting combination of claymation and unapologetic urban humor a la "In Living Color." A great combination to Fox's clever line-up of "The Simpsons," "King of the Hill," and "Furturama."

One of the Best Written African American Comedies

Author: hfan77 from St. Louis Park, MN
26 January 2010

Even though The PJs only lasted two season, I really liked the show, especially the animation which was done in "foamation" ala The California Raisins. It also had an outstanding voice cast, including co-creator Eddie Murphy as Thurgood, Loretta Devine as his wife Muriel, Jenifer Lewis as her sister Bebe and Ja'net DuBois, in one of her few roles since Good Times left the air as elderly tenant Mrs. Avery.

The other characters I remember well were The Haiti Lady and the youngsters Calvin and Juicy, whose parents were never seen. The one thing I remember about Juicy, especially in the early episodes was that he wore a sign around his neck that said "Please do not feed." But the one that i really enjoyed about The PJs was the writing. It was one of the best written African American sitcoms, thanks to the numerous cultural references in Thurgood's exclamations such as "Holy Mary Wilson, mother of Motown." This was the only show that I watched on a regular basis with the closed captioning on so I could jot down Thurgood's newest exclamation that referred to African American culture.

Despite its references to low income African American society, I thought The PJs was one of the network's best efforts at an animated comedy since The Simpsons. I'll close with a line frequently shouted by the woman at HUD "NEXT!"

HUD Lady's kids?

Author: thussar
24 April 2008

I really liked the PJs also. It was a short-lived series that became the victim of the overzealous NAACP and the need for too many people in our society to be "politically correct". These days they give Oscars out for movies that portray much worse than the PJs - yet for some reason because its in a movie, and people pay for it, that's OK. Go figure. The PJs was one of the best pieces of work Eddy Murphy has produced, well-written, very funny, and the claymation style fits in perfect with the story concept. The part I remember most is when the HUD lady lists all her kid's names. Does anyone remember all of them? I only remember 3 - Chevron, Lasagna, and Doritos. I thought there was more of them. Thanks!

An excellent addition to Fox's Tuesday line-up.

Author: Jynne from Austin, TX, USA
26 April 1999

Eddie Murphy has come up with a great series that has good "urban" humor and makes a positive statement without being hokey. An excellent edition to Fox's Tuesday line-up, with believable, funny characters.

Eddie Murphy should create another cartoon series

Author: Marcus Geebs from United States
4 July 2012

I use to watch this show a lot when I was a kid, I remember it use to come on Sundays on the wb11, I never missed an episode. The pj"s was the show that had so many funny parts that after you watched the show you would still be laughing after.I think that the show was not received well because people took it to serious and forgot about the fact that it was suppose to be funny,its punch lines too many to count.The pj's also had a lot of reality in it so that also made the show funny. This show ended too early it could of lasted 5 or 6 years. They should really bring this show back, the crap we have on TV today is nothing compared to this classic. The claymation was well done for the time it came out I mean were talking about a late 90's cartoon series and for that time period it was just magnificent.