IMDb > "Harsh Realm" (1999) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Harsh Realm"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Harsh Realm" More at IMDbPro »

Page 2 of 2:[1] [2]

Harsh Realm Returns

Author: lsw-3 from San Diego, California
11 February 2000

I thought the first three episodes were great, and I was really sorry when the series was cancelled after three episodes. I thought it deserved more of a chance which it may get on FX Network. FX Network announced in its website that it will air the 9 existing Harsh Realm episodes (6 of which are previously unaired) starting in the latter part of March 2000. I'm looking forward to viewing the 6 new episodes.

Great Show, Shouldn't been cancelled

Author: spinal1-3 from Santiago City
18 November 1999

This was an awesome show to watch.I considered it the only good thing going on TV's friday nights the 3 weeks it was on.But now it's cancelled.Very bad move on Fox's part.Please bring it back FOX!But who knows I heard they were talking about bringing it back for the winter maybe?I Hope so!

Premiere intriguing and compelling

Author: lsw-3 from San Diego, California
8 October 1999

I definitely felt drawn into Harsh Realm and look forward to future episodes. I was impressed by all aspects of the show: writing, characters, actors, backdrop, and effects. I think the premiere episode is just the tip of the iceberg and that upcoming episodes will provide some explanations while introducing even more mysteries.

I posted this same review for the Behind the Scenes documentary, so forgive me if you accidentally read it twice...

Author: JM Klinger (avatarofshadow@yahoo.com) from Tullahoma, TN, USA
15 May 2005

Okay, let me start off by saying I'd never heard of Harsh Realm. 1999 was a busy year for me, and when I heard the words "From the creator of the X-Files..." I didn't get to the end of any of the ads before I turned the channel. I never liked the X-Files, and for no particularly good reason. I might never have heard of Harsh Realm, but I work at Wal-Mart, and they got some DVD series in for fifteen bucks, and I thought "Hmmmm." I picked up Dark Angel first, another series I'd never heard of, then, the next week, I gave Harsh Realm a try. I enjoyed all 9 episodes very much, and I enjoyed the special feature's look behind the scenes. It was well put-together, and they didn't spend the whole time yelling about how they were never given a chance and all that, as some people like to do in their commentaries. I only wish the show had had a definitive ending, and, of course, that I had watched episode nine before episode eight, as I was instructed to do. I'm not going to say anything to spoil it, just that if you pick up the DVDs for yourself, you should watch nine, then eight, it gives it more of an "ending" feel, if only slightly....

R.I.P. (Thank God!)

Author: Aaron D. Marasco from Severn, MD
29 October 1999

I really love the X-Files and it is a shame that this is the last season for it (1999), but if Carter was trying to transition his fanbase to another show (Millenium ended last season), this was a really bad attempt. Yes, it's similar to The Matrix. And I have heard about a previous comic book. But there really wasn't any "substance" - in the long run he had to defeat the Bad Guy. Big deal. Why should I watch every week? To see the same Goo effect of a "bug" in the VR world? X-Files always leaves another question - "What will happen next?" or "But what about ....?"

Read in the newspaper that FOX picked up on this too, and after three aired episodes - goodbye!

(Almost) orignial show

Author: Leikela4 from Ohio
11 October 1999

As a fan of Chris Carter I have to like this show but I am going to say that the first episode did go kind of slow but I think this is because they had to introduce the characters. Some say that it is too much like The Matrix(1999) but the plot line is really very different. The man knows that he is in Harsh Realm and so does everyone else. They are all trying to get out and some of the peole are actually not real. They are part of the program. In The Matrix none of them know that they are there. And Harsh Realm is based off of the comic book that came out long before the movie. I think this is going to be a very good show.

A big disappointment from Chris Carter.

Author: innocuous from Raleigh, NC, USA
13 September 2004

I was trying to decide what it was about this show that seemed so familiar to me. Then it struck me...this is simply a high-tech version of the old TV show, "Time Tunnel".

This show just doesn't hold together for me. For one thing, it is just too self-conscious, in spite of using the same old clichés from "The X Files". (Hey, instead of having a mysterious Cigarette Man, why don't we have a mysterious dark lady? You know, they can't figure out whose side she is actually on....)

Lt. Hobbes is selected to participate in the war simulation because he is supposedly such a great soldier, but he acts like a civilian dweeb when given the opportunity. His character is one of the huge flaws in this series.

On the other hand, some of the FX are pretty cool. They just don't compensate for the poor writing and lousy characters.

I rented the entire series on DVD, but I could only watch the pilot and the first two episodes. It was clearly going nowhere.

If you want to watch a show that is far superior in every respect, go rent Josh Whedon's "Firefly".

** out of *****