"CBS Schoolbreak Special" Welcome Home, Jellybean (1984)

« Prev | 2 of 65 Episodes | Next »

Insulting

Author: Jordan_Haelend from The Imperial Earth State
2 June 2005

This TV movie purports to be the story of a little "Special" child, but it's actually about her family and how their decision to pull her from an institution and bring her home virtually wrecks the family unit.

As portrayed by Hall, the girl is the very image of the demeaning stereotype of a "retarded" child. She bangs her head in frustration, babbles nonsense syllables and makes a compete nuisance of herself. From hiding her brother's homework to interrupting his piano lessons to destroying his chances at the talent show to urinating on the floor to finally causing dad to leave the family and nearly causing her brother to follow him, the girl provides proof that some people NEED to be institutionalized- and left there.

Super bonkers -- it's like watching-your-parents-play-video-games kind of bonkers

Author: grammyscold from United States
1 June 2007

This is one of the funniest damn things I have ever seen. I wish I had me a copy, man, I really do. Seeing that freaky chick banging her head on her bedroom wall, wailing "Babbage" because she got in trouble for dropping the garbage down the laundry chute, that would just about be heaven for me. It's been, what, 20 years or so since I last got to see it? That stuff was bananas, man, just bananas. I can picture it like it was yesterday, even though I was incredibly baked when I saw it. Whenever I see somebody freaking out over trivial crap, I just start chanting "Babbage," and the moment is magically transformed into a chuckle-fest. (Banging my head against the wall) "It's Babbage! (Aaaaah!) Babbage! (Uuuh!) Babbage, babbage, babbage!"

Jellybeans are cool.

Author: hornymonkey from Oshkosh, WI
20 February 2000

I love this movie. It is very dear to my heart, because she is just like my sister, Marni. My parents hospitalized her for three years, but they couldn't afford it so they brought her back home. And my parents have cried every day since.