IMDb > Boiler Room (2000) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Boiler Room

Boiler Room More at IMDbPro »

Page 8 of 25: [Prev][3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [Next]

PRETTY GOOD!

Author: iLoveLamp62 from Canada
9 July 2001

Boiler Room was a pretty good movie, not the best but still very entertaining. It also helped to have such HOT actors like Vin Diesel and Nicky Katt. Vin Diesel's performance was great, this movie was great but not as much as Vin Diesel's other movies like "Pitch Black" and "The Fast And The Furious". Overall I give this movie 7.8 out of 10

Been there, done that

Author: Saber
26 October 2000

The first few minutes had me excited about the movie I was to see. I thought to myself, "wow, an inside perspective of the 21st century hip-hop white suburban Eminem-esque generation conquering the stock market." Unfortunately, the rest of it left me disappointed. The big surprise wasn't very surprising, and the motives of the characters were difficult to decode. Worst yet, what I thought to be pretty original at first, ended up being nothing more than the same recycled formula we have all seen before in far better films (Wall Street for one). While I am willing to forgive a poor ending if a film produces well in other aspects, this one unfortunately falls short of my forgiveness.

Big Set-up for 5 minutes

Author: ebarnes (e_barnes2@yahoo.com) from Oswego, IL
1 October 2000

I saw this film in the theater and on DVD at my house.. I enjoyed it both times. I have seen Wall Street and this was the new version of it made for 2000. With the appeal of money lingering through out the movie.. It started out with promise, and with a great cast, towards the end it started to fade, but this movie is worth watching for the 5 minutes scene that Ben Affleck gives on his idea of money.. I watch that scene over and over again, a classic....

Whitecollar Crime: The Unexciting Truth

Author: ChakaMan from Philapa
13 September 2000

At the beginning of the movie, Seth Davis is running a successful casino inside his apartment for college students. When his parents find out that he has dropped out of school to do this, they aren't happy. Especially Seth's Dad, who is a judge.

Enter Seth's stockbroker buddy who gets him a job at a small brokerage firm that sells stock in fake companies and provides enough cash to each broker to drive the foreign sports car of their choice. Will Seth's conscience overtake his will to please his father and become filthy rich?

There are many details that lead you to this point in the movie; some are interesting, some are canned Hollywood stereotypes. The ending is no surprise and really drains the movie into nothingness. Seth's love interest, Nia Long (an $80,000/year secretary), is all but extraneous. It looks like the film makers tried to tie her into the plot, but they come up a little shy.

Ben Affleck gives an interesting performance, but certainly does nothing to make the world of white collar crime any more exciting.

The White-Boy way of slinging crack rock...sellin stock

Author: JohnnyPHreak from United States
26 July 2000

Boiler Room is a fast paced drama that grabs a firm grip and never lets go. It's Wall Street for the Y2K. It's all about a young kid who has a casino in his home that is done with that idea and wants to make real money in trading stock. The film features a dynamic cast that includes Jon Abrahams, Ben Affleck, Scott Caan, Vin Diesel, Nicky Katt, Jamie Kennedy, Nia Long, Giovanni Ribisi, and Tom Everett Scott. The film is driven by performances. Giovanni, Vin, and Ben are the stand outs. They take it the next level and are the powerhouses that hold the film together. Another thing in this film is the dialogue. The film is well written. There are no long drags. There is also a lot of good lines and Jamie Kennedy is hilarious. The film also contains a high energy hip-hop soundtrack that moves in and out and keeps the film going at it's high speed. This film is up there with one of the great stockbroker films of all time. It's also one of the best films of the year. I give it a 9. Boiler Room is a fast moving drama with great performances, cool dialogue and a hot soundtrack. It must not be missed.

Good story...but the ending was poorly done.

Author: Tom Rageley from tampa, FL
14 July 2000

I found this movie to be quite interesting and entertaining throughout. I was very disappointed in the ending though. While all loose ends were tied up, they weren't played out in the movie very well. It seemed to end prematurely and left me wanted to see another 10 minutes or so to see what happened to all of the characters that were developed throughout the movie.

An exciting film that brings the audience into a life that everyone American dreams of.

Author: moyboy2001 from Burlington, VT
5 July 2000

This film is a great movie that deals with Seth and his goal of winning the love from his dad that looks down upon him. After holding an illegal casino in his own apartment, he meets someone that offers him a job as a trader, which he later finds out is a huge con scam. This movie is about family love, forgiveness, and the harsh reality of society today.

Gee, I wish I could back up my hard drive on a 3.5 floppy

Author: Cmdr. Matt from college
28 April 2000

Like above, I thought that this movie had many scenes which came close to reality, but for one problem. Like having single files with more then 5 meg, or human nature that would make a lot of people hang up the phone in less then 10 seconds.

Would've been a really good TV movie of the week.

Author: katehambrecht from New York City
29 March 2000

I felt confused and gypped by this movie. The ads hinted it would be much darker and more morbid than it is. There's no nudity and no bloody death. Not that I demand that from a movie, but when there are stock brokers involved...well, you just expect gleeful depravity. That said, it would've been bold for the script to swing the other way and make a brainier, leftist statement along the lines of "How different is what these men did from what legal stock brokers do?"

A good movie that could have been better.

Author: VinceD from Southern California
26 March 2000

As a former stockbroker, I can say that this movie is pretty accurate. It has the broker culture and jargon down. With this foundation, it manages to tell a good story.

The best scenes in the movie are between Ribisi and his father, played by Ron Rifkin. Ribisi's character's desire to please his stern father is something everyone can understand.

What this movie could have used is some tighter editing. Some of the scenes seem disjointed. The story would have flowed better by cutting some scenes. Also, the ending is rather abrupt. It almost feels like they ran out of money.