IMDb > Boiler Room (2000) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Boiler Room

Boiler Room More at IMDbPro »

Page 4 of 25: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [Next]

One to see

Author: (egibson317@hotmail.com) from Chicago, Illinois
16 February 2002

This movie is about a young hustler from a well to do family who tries to turn "legit" to gain his fathers approval. He begins work at a shady brokerage firm where big dollars are earned for ghost stocks. The subplot is an interesting romantic triangle that could have been explored more. Overall, I rate this movie as one not to miss.

It was great

Author: Kylie (crazeegrl4404@yahoo.com) from Albany, California
15 February 2002

I loved this movie. It was really interesting especially because it was about stocks. I thought that It would be really boring, but they did a very good job on this. The only thing that I didnt like was the ending. I was hoping it would have ended differently.

Wall Street for the next generation

Author: cpheonix from London, England
21 December 2001

This is a great film with a brilliant cast, especially from Ribisi. I always knew this guy was a good actor but his performance just blew me away. I especially liked the subplot about his relationship with his dad which was quite a moving experience.

Two problems though: Ben Affleck and Tom Everett Scott sounded as though they just watched 'Glengarry Glen ross' and decided to try and outdo Alec Baldwin from it. Nearly every scene they are in feels as though they are just trying too hard. Secondly, the ending was a bit abrupt and left a few hanging plot-lines.

Overall though, a movie that is sometimes deeply depressing, but hits home about a lot of things in life.

Boiler Room's a SIZZLER!

Author: jessestlr from Pocatello, Idaho
16 August 2001

Boiler Room rocks! Except for the average acting, this film is flawless. Younger's script is absolutely outstanding. It takes us inside on what's happening and not happening. Not only does it show the life of the broker, like most do, it shows the life of the shambled investor in a capatalist world where the innocent get punished more than the guilty. This movie knows how to entertain. It not only is drama, it is a superb thriller as well. When I said at the top about the average acting, there are a few exceptions, the major one is Ben Affleck. He isn't in this one a long time, but this is the best performance he's given. He's terrifying! And this guy's a good actor, so his best perfomance means something. Also there's a really good perfomance from Nicky Katt from Boston Public. This is a guy who just fits into his roles so easily you gorget it's him. THAT'S good acting. This movie deserved a much better award season than it got. Boiler Room is a solid 9.

Not bad

Author: The Masticator from London
11 January 2001

Pretty good, effective thriller with a cast of exciting young actors. The funniest thing about it, though, is the Ben Affleck scenes - all bar one are shot on the same set with none of the other principal characters except Giovanni Ribisi. Ben clearly worked on the film for a total of about a day and a half. Nice work if you can get it, I suppose.

The first half is very good stuff but you get the feeling that there was never a clear idea where the film was going. The DVD includes the original ending which is possibly a bit better but seems to have been taken out (for fear of being melodramatic, perhaps). This is a giveaway, really. However, the feeling of everything falling apart in the last 20 minutes is genuine, whatever the reason.

Good to see Ribisi getting the chance to carry a film; he is sympathetic and believable. Heavyweight stuff from Vin Diesel as well, and I was glad to see Ron Rifkin, who was so effective in a small role as Ellis Loew in "LA Confidential", getting another decent part. A more than satisfactory rental.

Surprisingly entertaining

Author: Praesepe (timhoeder@go.com)
12 September 2000

Boiler Room showcases Giovanni Ribisi's best performance so far; he's shaping up to be a pretty big star. His performance and others keep this movie entertaining, and it stays entertaining throughout, despite a plot that derails near the end. Since the movie is about stockbrokers, it gets pretty technical and wordy, but it's not necessary to understand it all; just go along for the ride and Boiler Room is effective and enjoyable.

Pleasantly Surprised

Author: McKiller
14 August 2000

I gave it a 7. It was a decent movie. Ben Affleck (or however you spell it) was a fresh surprise. All of the actors did a hell of a job, but it could have been put together a little better. The subplots killed it for me. Not very believable and not real deep. Well worth renting though. The scam they were pulling was a little bit too complicated for me, and they brushed over it. Also, the relationship friction between the main character Seth and his father was over done and not really believable. The "Wall Street" scene was totally stupid too. All these goofs watching Michael Douglas and quoting the film line for line. Too much. Maybe the Godfather, but not Wall Street.

Better Than I Hoped

Author: (fandangonoir) from USA
19 July 2000

If you dig films about stockbrokers you will dig dis. The usually annoying Giovanni Rabisi gives a good performance as an up and coming broker in a third rate firm. Nia Long and Ben Affleck give good supporting performances. But the best thing is the great Vin Diesel who shows off his acting chops big time. Vin seems to be doing it all, action films like 'Pitch Black', war films like 'Saving Private Ryan', and now this as a ruthless money grubbing capitalist pig broker. I love it. Here's hoping we see Vin baby fer a long time to come.

Fine film

Author: F_Jenkins from la
17 July 2000

Outside of some annoying MTV style type editing and hip-hop soundtrack that totally doesn't fit (being born in the hood and shooting cops lyrics are kind of bizarre for this type of film), this is a real good film. You can see the Glengarry Glen Ross influence and the Ben Affleck character is almost a rip off of Alec Baldwin in said film, but it works. The film really is a mixture of Glengarry and Wall Street, in fact, both films are referenced and quoted. I find it hard to believe that young 20 millionaires sit around a large, scarcely furnished house watching Wall Street over and over, reciting lines along with the film, but it's still interesting.

I generally don't like films that start in the middle and have lots of flashbacks, but it's done well here.

I totally missed this in the theater because it really looked like it was boring from the preview but it's not. This film is filled with interesting characters and well written dialog (outside a couple scenes) and I recommend renting the DVD. I also look forward to other stuff from this writer.

A poor mans Glengarry Glenn Ross that gets a bit too preachy and moralistic for it's own good.

Author: Chris Jarmick
16 July 2000

Boiler Room

Some of the writing and acting in the film is very sharp. It takes a little longer than it should for the story to move to the J.T. Marlin Boiler Room, but once it does for a good half hour the film really crackles. The sales closing techniques, the atmosphere of the place, are well captured. Too bad guilty conscience is introduced with the subtlety of Jimminy Cricket. The father relationship is very believable up to a point but certainly could have been better handled. The love at first site attraction of the secretary was puzzling. I was expecting there to be an ulterior motive from the start (I've given nothing away). The film tries to play both sides of the fence, and tries to be moral, becoming a bit preachy by doing so.

If it had just stuck to the story without trying to lay some things on too thick the film would have had a lot more power and resonance.

As it it the film is pretty exciting, well acted and worth a rental. It will certaintly keep ones attention and interest throughout.

Christopher J. Jarmick (Author: The Glass Cocoon)