IMDb > Boiler Room (2000) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Boiler Room

Boiler Room More at IMDbPro »

Page 18 of 25: [Prev][13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [22] [23] [24] [25] [Next]

ben affleck should look for more roles like this

Author: Bono_85 (Bono_85@hotmail.com) from Sault Ste. Marie, Canada
8 September 2004

This is the role in which i think Ben Affleck can really give a stand out performance. Do I think he's a main stream, #1 actor??? not at all...but as a supporting role, or even less, (like in this movie) i think he's one of the best around... the way he carries himself and the way he delivers his lines reminds me jack nicolson in "a few good men"... he's very confident and secure and this is the type of role i think he should concentrate more on instead of movies like gili... I do like ben and hope that he continues to improve his acting and hopefully he can turn into his buddy, matt damon, who has now taken his career to the next level.........

I Really Liked This Movie

Author: (missygoldstein@aol.com) from New York, NY
14 June 2003

SPOILERS

I can identify with this movie. I have done phone sales, telemarketing,

you name it and although I never worked in a place this cut throat I

still find the depiction very realistic and engaging. This is an

interesting story on many levels. First you have a kid who never feels

he could measure up to or win the appoval of his father, a fundamental

need that anyone who'se had a father can relate to. He didn't finish

college and has no real career goals in mind and is at a loss because he

wants love and respect from his family but does not know how to get it.

He shuts down his homemade, and home operated casino that ironically was

doing very well for him because his father, the judge was furious when

he heard how his son was making a living illegally, which you later

learn that despite the fact that it was illegal that he did indeed

provide a legitimate service to people that he operated successfully and

was proud of it. Upon the advice of a friend he interviews for a stock

broker position at a "boiler room" type of company, hence the title.

They are extremely high pressure and the guys there that can close sales

are making obscene amounts of money. Seth feels that this will be the

perfect way to gain the respect of his father so he pursues this job,

gets his liscence and goes to work and gets very good at it. Much to his

dismay he learns rather quickly that there's something shady going on

and he is suspicious. While he likes the idea of being a broker, and

making big money he is faced once again with a moral and ethical

dilemma. And so it goes....What I liked about this movie was the obvious

irony. Here you have a screw up kid with a judge for a father. To win

his fathers approval he takes a "respectable job" which turns out to

Incoherent garble

Author: jay_hovah703 from East Bay, CA
22 December 2006

I watched this movie last night on USA and it is one of the least coherent movies I've ever seen. There are all these useless details that are never explained and cause confusion to the viewer. Whose house are they at and why is there no furniture? How can your boss give you advice on not spending your money frivolously while driving 80 miles per hour in a Lamborghini? Will Giovanni Ribisi ever get any sleep? The movie is based on a decent premise, but leaps out of bounds because of the acting and direction. The acting is awful. The characters are unbelievable. And the direction is...well, was there a director? The movie slaps around for awhile not making any sense then tries to bring it all together at the end. This is ineffective.

One thing that bothered me is that Giovanni's character was supposed to be the "smartest" of the new hires and most willing to exact change on the "boiler room." But his character is interchangeable. There is nothing about him that makes him unique in this movie. I don't want to give anything away, but you could have replaced his role in the movie with any single person, including me. He adds nothing to the movie. Events happen around him that would have happened anyway.

I don't think there was a need for this movie to be made. Perhaps that is why it sank into obscurity and was cheaply bought by USA to replay around the clock until we are fried from it???

Stuck In The Middle

Author: johnny-08 from Rijeka, Croatia
19 March 2008

Seth Davis (Giovanni Ribisi) is a college dropout who runs a illegal casino in his house. Even though job works fine for Seth he wants something bigger, so he gets a chance when Greg (Nicky Katt) and Michael (Tom Everett Scott) come to his casino. Greg and Michael are young and successful brokers and they invite Seth to join them at company called J.T. Marlin. Finally Seth thinks that he's doing something that would please his dad and something that is legal. Seth soon meets brokers like Jim Young (Ben Affleck) and Chris Varick (Vin Diesel), nice secretary Abbie Halpert (Nia Long); but he also begins to realize what are people at J.T. Marlin selling to others.

After very good movies like "Wall Street" and "Glengarry Glen Ross", we've got another story about brokers named "Boiler Room". "Boiler Room" is definitely not better from these two movies but it represents watchable movie and that is not bad. Maybe there are some clichés like the love story between Seth and Abbie or very stretched relationship between Seth and his dad (we've seen it all before), but as I said before you can easily pass over that. Ribisi is good in main role and I also liked Diesel (except that last scene on stairs). The acting coming from Affleck is very bad and he wasted some of the best lines this script has to offer. Ben Younger did a good job in his directorial debut, but his movie suffers from innovative plot ideas that could take it on to another level (the ending). Instead we've got only solid but not really memorable movie.

Bites off more than it can chew...

Author: MrSharma from Australia
4 June 2006

"Boiler Room" starts off extremely well, and whilst the cover will immediately get you thinking of Wall Street, this turns out to be a rather patchy and half-baked attempt at a recreation of a lifestyle - unfortunately, the lifestyle isn't shown very well, and this is where the film falls a little flat.

A pretty decent cast (albeit a relatively underdeveloped one) do what they can with what is given to them - at various points of the film, you will question what kind of a movie this is. Whereas Wall Street was able to pull off a romantic side, a dramatic side, a comedic side, a political and economic side, and a dysfunctional side, "Boiler Room" is able to do no such thing. At the end, we realise that the film has bit off so much, that it could only present a half-baked story regarding each of these separate avenues, whereas it would have been much better alleviating certain avenues (eg, potential romance) and instead focus on showing the high life, and thus what is tempting our protagonist.

Vin Diesel is quite good in his limited scenes (once more, key characters and relationships were severely underdeveloped, and we have literally no care for what happens to these people). Ribisi is excellent in scenes that challenge him. Nia Long, honestly, doesn't seem to serve much purpose, but makes do with what's presented to her.

Ultimately, you don't really know what to make of this film - whilst you will enjoy many of its parts, it is difficult to really get a grasp on what the film is trying to say, as you get the impression that it may be trying to say SOMETHING. What that something is, is very indiscernible, and is testament to the early stages of the filmmaker's career. Whilst talent is evident in some of the facets explored, this film didn't understand its priorities - it could never be Wall Street, yet it tried to be, and in doing so focused on too much without giving any real development or depth to any one particular part of the story.

A decent effort, but a patchy one - you really won't get anything out of this, but it's worth renting out anyway - just for those few nuggets of gold you see in what is otherwise a pretty ordinary little rock.

Good movie, surprisingly accurate regarding stock market too

Author: Paul from TX
25 January 2006

I think the movie is more of a 7.5, but I guess I have to round up...

This movie is about a slick young kid who is trying to make it big while trying to live up to his father's expectations.

I know more than a few salesperson's who proudly try to emulate many of the tactics showcased in the film, which isn't a good thing.

I have the same license that the character Seth had to get to sell stocks, and the way it is portrayed in the movie is very accurate. Of course, the SEC would probably like to show this movie, as what not to do, for its ethics requirements.

Two interesting things about the movie are watching Ben Affleck and Vin Diesel before they got huge, and both put in very good performances. The casting is eclectic (Nia Long, Ben Affleck, Jamie Kennedy, Vin Diesel, Giovanni Ribisi, Scott Caan, etc) but they have the chemistry to make it work.

Overall a good movie, with good acting, a good story and cinematography & editing that don't get in the way.

Salesman's Film

Author: bob-1075 from Bob Morrell, Tonbridge, England
17 January 2006

If you want to learn how to sell - watch this film. It doesn't show you everything - but it shows you the persistence required to make it in sales. The performances are all good. Vin Diesel is probably in the best role he's had to date and the speed of the movie works well.

Ben Affleck is good as the Sales Trainer - but not as good as Alec Baldwin in Glengarry Glen Ross. If you add Boiler Room and Tin Men, I guess you have the top 3 'sales' films.

The script falls down a little when the action moves away from the sales floor - but you can't have everything. A great film for a curry and beers night with your sales team.

Deeper Than The Business World...

Author: pbusco from Boston, Mass
23 October 2005

Boiler Room is an ingenious movie. On the surface it might seem to be just a story placed in the fast paced business world of NY. However the movie posses deeper questions to the viewer. Is the job at JT Marlin any more or less legitimate than running an underground casino? I think the movie makes a fair satire of the 21st century business world. The employees of JT Marlin make millions of dollars a year and yet they get into common bar fights, are drug addicts, and live in beautiful unfurnished houses. Most of the characters are in financial problems despite all of their money. The movie brilliantly deals with familial conflict, moral discretion, and sympathetic virtue. This is a must see for anyone working in the 21st century business world. Masterfully done.

Excellent, accurate, sobering film. A definite must see!

Author: Spencer Lehmann from United States
13 August 2005

This film epitomizes the activities of many Securities Dealer Operations, Insurance Company Agent operations, and other like sales and marketing oriented businesses where little regulation is imposed on those engaged in mass marketing to an unassuming public.

While I personally refused to perform these types of atrocious selling techniques, I learned the Insurance agency business from an agency that trained its agents to sell in precisely this type of "Body shop" marketing, in which the consumer is treated as ignorant and greedy fools, just waiting for an unscrupulous "Representative" to take their money.

Ranks in reality with the movie "Tin Men", with Danny DeVito and Richard Dreyfuss and made as a comedy, tho' not humorous to those of us who would like to see the "Sleaze Balls" put out of our business, and professionalism returned. Also akin to another great film of this type, "Glengary Glen Ross", with Alan Arkin, Jack Lemmon, and other "top ten" actors. All great films, and all very embarrassing to those who wish to see rigid standards enforced for those who are responsible for husbanding the public's money, and who must earn the public trust.

These films show clearly how not to do business if you have a conscience, or care about your fellow man. Excellent, disturbing.

A little bit of "Wall Street", and a really good movie

Author: sveknu
19 July 2005

Have you seen "Wall Street"? As a masterpiece from the eighties, I didn't ever consider a movie like that being made again. Just face it, there aren't many movies in it's genre, because it's a really small one. But then, "Boiler Room" came across. It's far from the same movie as Wall Street, but there are many similarities between the two of them. There are even a great reference to "Wall Street" here, were Vin Diesel's character repeats a monologue by "Wall Streets" Gordon Gecko by heart. But enough about "Wall Street". Now over to this movie. The story is great, and a really interesting one. It's also really thrilling. The actors also do a really god job, especially the superiors in the firm with their nazi-sort of leadership. Even Ben Affleck delivers the goods, I must say that his performance in the rookie-talk early in the movie was really a great one, despite what some other people say. Ribisi is not well known, but I think he was a good choice for the looser-kind of a rookie that was the lead in this film.