« Prev | 116 of 379 Episodes | Next »

1999 -- I am still fascinated ...

Author: s-g-kassel from United States
15 February 2006

I can't believe it was as long ago as 1999 that I saw this documentary. I think it was the "Sing for your supper" performance -- the original "show-stopping" arrangement by Hugh Martin (who is interviewed in the program) that hooked me. I have been buying librettos, scores, and recordings of Rodgers & Hart shows since.

Get hooked -- you will love these shows. An adventure through REAL musical theater. See the TV show, then start listening to Rodgers and Hart CD's, original cast (few and far between), studio or revival. Listen to the singing actors performing the great lyrics and music in character, in context of show.

E.g.: Pal Joey -- the last Hart lyric was in the hit revival of this show: "To Keep My Love Alive", written for and archly, perfectly performed by Vivian Segal, forgotten, great musical comedy star.

Connecticut Yankee, Boys from Syracuse, Babes in Arms ... I have been having a great time learning about this team for 6 years now, and not done yet.

Great documentary!! Must see for fans!

Author: vinster-5 from Seattle, WA
27 April 1999

This was a PBS Showcase special that ran late one Wednesday night on PBS. It was a great tribute to the lives and music of Rodgers and Hart. Equal time was given to both lyricists with interviews from relatives and snippets from some of their musicals. Jane Krakowski sings My Funny Valentine.