IMDb > Minority Report (2002) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Minority Report

Minority Report More at IMDbPro »

Page 10 of 135: [Prev][5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [Next]

Pretty Fun And Interesting But Far From Perfect

Author: TheFilmGuy1 from Canada
2 November 2014

Minority Report is a film that will keep you interested and is enjoyable, but I can't help but notice some things that aren't quite right with it. It's plot is complicated enough for it to hold some plot holes which can be glaring at times. It's visual style sometimes works and sometimes doesn't. And honestly, it feels kinda dated watching it in 2014.

The plot of this movie is intriguing, but I find that perhaps it was more sci-fi in 2002 then it is now. Certain aspects and technology we can kind of see today, so it does take away from the experience. It also seems pretty open to plot holes, as if certain aspects weren't quite thought through. Also, the tone is kind of all over the place. It is a serious film most of the time, but it has a LOT of comedic moments that honestly just feel out of place. Scenes such as the weird eye doctor mesh a little better, but the comedy in the jet pack cops chase just feels like some kind of Buster Keaton skit in the middle of a drama. It's really odd and just didn't work most of the time.

The visual style of the film is kind of all over the place too. Sometimes it feels way too blue, as if it was color corrected wrong, where other times it's just the right amount of futuristic blue tinting. There's also a lot of bright lighting that causes a bloom effect and it just sometimes felt over done and as if the image was blown out.

Honestly, I'm kinda conflicted with this film. I enjoyed it in one way, but I also noticed a lot of flaws. I guess that just makes it an okay movie. I wouldn't say you need to go out and find a copy of this to watch, but if it's on TV one night, check it out.

A Simple Glimpse Into the Future

Author: Harmon28 from United States
3 August 2014

The Minority Report is a film released in 2002, directed by Steven Spielberg, adapted from the screenplay written by Scott Frank and Jon Cohen and written by Phillip K. Dick. The film is set in a futuristic model where the government has the ability to preview crimes prior to their commitment. Based on this information the assailants are taken into custody and prejudged and sentenced.

Our main character John Anderson is a futuristic police officer whose complex issues regarding the loss of his own child sets the scenes and themes which is what leads him to being chased by his own team for crime he has not yet committed. The underlying theme relates to human will and whether free will has any determination in the committing of a crime. Another plot less visible is that of government control. Our main character is played by Tom Cruise who is being pursued by Danny Witwer played by Colin Farrell. Our supporting characters whose relevance is seen throughout the film include Agatha, played by Samantha Morton, Director Lamar Burgess, played by Max Von Sydow, and Fletcher, played by Neal McDonough.

The film is set around John Anderson attempting to find a minority report which would clear him from the future murder he is to commit. These murders are seen by clairvoyant and visionary Agatha whose special skills allows her to see into the future. Danny Witwer and Fletcher are seen throughout the film attempting to apprehend John Anderson. The film eventually concludes with its main plot revealed which encompasses the greed and control by Director Lamar Burgess.

The scenes and settings are similar to another film "Total Recall". Total recall is another film set in the future and surrounds the basic theme of government control. Our main characters in both films are guided by a principal which is set into motion by past experiences.

The director in this film utilizes a variety of film angles and lighting to assist the viewer in capturing all the elements of the film. Many of the scenes are shot during the day and encompass several scenes with well lit, sharp and crisp images depicting a wholesome future. In one scene we see our main character John Anderson walking through the well-lit, busy mall while shopping for Agatha. In another scene where John Anderson is meeting with the underbelly of society, the lighting is transformed into darker images giving the viewer a sense of wrongdoings been committed. Steven Spielberg had chosen a third person's point of view when filming. The viewer feels as if they were directly involved in the action, and become personally involved as our character move throughout the film.

Though the original theme of free will and government control is seen within the film, the subplots allow for the formulation of our characters. John Anderson struggles with the loss of his child, while Agatha struggles with the loss of her mother. Danny Witwer struggles with the ideology of religion and free will. Dir. Lamar Burgess struggles with letting go of the empire he built and realizing the faults that were associated with the building of his company. Even with these many subplots, the viewer is constantly reminded that the intent of our main character John Anderson is to find the minority report which will eventually cleared him of any wrongdoings.

An Interesting Sci-Fi Film

Author: evant299 from Metropolis
2 August 2014

This is a very interesting film. It has a great plot, an A list cast and even though it is 2 hours and 22 minutes this is one of those rare films that manages to keep you entertained and interested the whole way through. This film reminds me of Blade Runner a bit but the man that wrote the short story that blade runner is based off of is written by the same author that wrote the short story that this film is based off of so it is no surprise that they feel like they are in the same universe. I recommend this to sci-fi fans or fans of people that enjoy watching films with great special effects and a good story line. when i put this film on my expectations were low because it didn't seem that interesting to me but i gave it a try and it surprised me because it turned out to be a great film that was very interesting and kept you on the edge of your seat. Bravo!

Everyone Should See This Film

Author: Rainey Dawn from United States
25 June 2014

I had seen this film before, forgot about it for some reason, then on a radio talk-show I was reminded about the film again. I watched it again and recalled seeing it before. This is one of those film I had forgotten the name of and had to be reminded.

The talk-show was about a real life version of the film Minority Report which is a subject of fascination to me. The movie Minority Report is a very important film - one everyone should watch.

Could we actually stop a crime before it is committed? Is a wo/man guilty when they have not actually committed a crime? Is thinking about harming someone an act of crime when they are only thinking about it? What if a person was planning on committing a crime but changes their mind - are they still guilty? (More questions come to my mind but I will spare you from them.)

The idea of a crime-free society has been around for who knows how many centuries... and the movie Minority Report is about the very subject!

Chose your side: 1) A crime-free society where everyone's private thoughts (including your own) are known to the police - all your thoughts!

OR

2)A society where there is crime but you and everyone else will keep all of your thoughts private unless you choose to tell someone or act upon them.

This is a must not miss film!! The film maybe a real life future for our society.

Amazing concept well made by master filmmaker

Author: SnoopyStyle
25 May 2014

It's 2054. Crime has been virtually eliminated from Washington D.C. area due to the Department of Precrime. They use three Pre-cogs to predict future crimes and arrest the criminals before any crime actually happens. John Anderton (Tom Cruise) investigates the precrimes. However one day, the Pre-Cogs predict that Anderton will murder and the system is now coming after him. He kidnaps the most powerful pre-cog Agatha (Samantha Morton) and discovers a flaw in the system. Federal agent Danny Witwer (Colin Farrell) is on the manhunt as Anderton tries to prove he's innocent of a crime he's yet to commit.

The concept of free will vs determinism from Philip K. Dick is amazing. The production from Steven Spielberg is terrific. The movie is so well made that it maintains its tension with all the crazy ideas being thrown at the audience. Tom Cruise is the perfect protagonist for this movie. He has a touch of that boy scout with a dark edge. He matches the intensity of the material. There is a good mystery, compelling performances, and expertly made all growing out of a great story. It does wrap up a little too neatly. I'm not sure a Spielberg movie could have gone that dark.

Really good filmmaking

Author: gregory_quinn from United States
19 April 2014

As Roger Ebert attested, this film is a production from someone at the peak of their powers. Spielberg really delivers; visually exquisite and with a tight script that has no discernible filler. Key scenes, such as where Anderton (Cruise) is cornered in an alley by the future crime cops is a lesson in how to make an action sequence. VFX are top notch, even though many of the techniques used are superseded now.

I saw this movie again just now after a gap of close to ten years, and it's lost nothing. Cruise shows why, even after a PR pummeling, he'll always be in work because he's a such a good actor. Supporting actors are top notch: Farrell in the only role I've liked in him is great and Max von Sydow is always good.

Superb blend of noir and sci-fi

Author: jamariana from United Kingdom
17 March 2014

Spielberg's Minority Report is suspenseful, dramatic, and deliciously grim. The film is well-made; it has incredible visual effects, directing, acting, writing, and just about anything else you can name. I think when it comes to a Spielberg, the work put in it is just of undoubtedly great quality - whether the film turns out to be good or not, or whether one likes the film to begin with. Jurassic Park II or the 4th Indy film, for example, were just decent, but the quality of effort devoted to making both films is extraordinary.

I'm not saying that Minority Report is just decent or anything of the sort. In fact, it is wonderful - perhaps, I've mentioned this. Devotion aside though, it is still of great quality. The story is compelling and provokes some thought. It has a lot of philosophical connotations and could make great conversation. "How much freedom should we have to give up to feel safe?", "Should thinking, planning, or being capable of murder be penalised the same way as murder?" These are some questions that the film makes people ask, and they're rather relevant to contemporary society, too.

Minority Report is a good film, but not great for someone like Spielberg. Compared to Raiders or Schindler's, it's a 6. That's not really a point, though. Minority is good in its own right, and even some amazing films are nothing when mentioned in the same light as Schindler's or Private Ryan. However, compared to some of the crap of the sci-fi genre, Minority is easily an 8 or 9. Again with the comparison! I really have to stop myself from doing that! Anyway, the film's worth a viewing, if not anything more.

Nonsense, but stylish (SPOILER ALERT)

Author: Slow Billy from United Kingdom
11 May 2013

An influential view of the 50's Sci-Fi universe (cf I Robot) but one that is a whimsy nothing more, So many films, so much spent on CGi and so little on actual thought. So long down the line this may seem unfair but the trend is the same even on current (2013) movies, e.g. Ironman 3.

In short, this film does not stand up to scrutiny. Key point: the duplication of the murder scene. On pretty much any or every level of thinking about this, this is plainly nonsense (allowing for non and/or all of the precept).

So - and I will make this a recurring theme in reviews - why spend SO MUCH on effects, CGI, actors and other ego-Mani-ism (sp?) when a) other films suffer and b) thousands are starving (just, generally).

Very disappointing. With bite, and based on the early scenes, an interesting polemic on the submission of individual freedom for societal gain. As it is - pow! wap! ah-yeh!

A Thrilling Sci-Fi Extravaganza,

Author: Dillon Harris from Ireland
5 May 2013

Minority Report is brilliant movie with a very well developed storyline and a terrific cast. It's a very exciting film that combines elements of sci-fi, action and thriller to deliver a high octane drama that will keep you at the edge of your seat throughout, it seems like a complicated story but once you keep your head with it you will find yourself glued to the screen and following it perfectly, and it's only Stephen Spielberg that can make all these elements work it one movie, though I was not aware he directed it until the closing credits, it made perfect sense to me. The only major flaw I think this movie had is that it stretches out for much too long, it's 2 and half hours and for the last twenty minutes I really felt like it was dragging itself out and it should be over, there were certainly some unnecessary pieces of information that simply overcomplicated the story. The performances are great, the characters are all very flawed and unique and seemed challenging for any actor, thankfully the casting was superb and they all did a great job, particularly Tom Cruise, who plays a man who is strange and suspicious from the beginning, and because of his acting, all we want to do is learn more about him, and that's certainly an important aspect to what made this movie so exciting. Action packed and very intense, I would recommend Minority Report to anyone looking for a good action, thriller or sci-fi film.

A police force that has three psychics that convicts people before they commit the murder discover that the main chief will murder within 36 hours.

Best Performance: Tom Cruise Worst Performance: Jessica Capshaw

Spielberg is a master at making films of all genres, sci-fi is one of them.

Author: raphaklopper from Aveiro, Portugal
27 April 2013

"Minority Report" is the 4th sci-fi made by master of cinema, and one of the best ever sci-fi's ever made. Like any Spielberg film, from the technical aspects to the direction, everything is fantastic, as the story itself.

The film tells the story of a futuristic world in the year 2054, there is a government organization called "Precrime". In this organization, the agents with the help of 3 humans with a special gift to see the future and the past called "Pre-Cogs", can predict all the murders that are going to happen and so arresting the futuristic assassins. When the best agent with a dark and suffered past, John Anderton (Tom Cruise), is accused of a crime he has not committed. John runs away to try to prove his innocence, which seems difficult with the FBI agent Danny Witwer (Colin Farrell) on his trail.

The film manages to blend elements of sci-fi with elements of a film noir. Scott Frank and Jon Cohen (screenplay) can make this a fantastic mix and pretty unique, but at the same time during the movie several questions arise about the future and whether it is right to use the "Pre-Cogs".

Not only writing in the film which is fantastic, but as the direction of Spielberg. Can you make while scenes of drama, it also makes breathtaking action sequences. Along with the extraordinary visual effects that give the film a huge scale.

Not only one of the most ambitious films of Spielberg films, but also one of the best sci-fi movies, ever made.