IMDb > Minority Report (2002) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Minority Report

Minority Report More at IMDbPro »

Page 11 of 133: [Prev][6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [Next]

Good but could have been better

Author: kat_777 from Kerala, India
25 April 2012

I am a big fan of Steven Spielberg. I was looking forward to see this movie. Definitely it was worth it. The movie revolves around a disturbed Chief John Anderton(Tom cruise) who is dealing with his son's loss and wife's separation. He is the member of the precrime who stops the crime from taking place with the help of the precogs who sees the future. The twist of fate occurs when the precogs sees Anderton himself kill a man he has never met. The movie has a solid theme and script. But there were situations where I felt that it could have been a lot better. Including the part where the killer of Anne lively was revealed. Overall the movie has the kind of suspense and it keeps you at the edge of your seat till the movie is over. Tom Cruise was superb as the John Anderton where he is a strong and tough cop on one side and a vulnerable and drug addicted man on the other. Samantha Morton too was good. She looks a lot different in this film. Max Von Sydow too did his part great. Colin Farrell too stuck with his standard. Kathryn Morris looked a lot better when compared to her role Mindhunters. All the fans of Tom Cruise and Steven Spielberg will love the film. It will definitely keep you at the edge of your seat. But one may have to see this movie more than once in order to fully understand the plot. It is better not to know the plot at all before you see the film. 8/10

Bladerunner was better!

Author: Frazier Norman
1 April 2012

So I watched "Minority Report" recently, and it left me a little cold. It had been described as the best SciFi movie since BladeRunner -- but it certainly isn't. In fact, it's actually no more than an above average movie. Bad points - it's unoriginal (you'll find yourself identifying bits from other movies), it's silly in parts (lots of plot holes), it's too long (2½ hours). Good points - it keeps your attention (most of the time), some futuristic ideas are interesting, and... well that's it actually. Tom Cruise is great when he plays "himself" (a woman-hating egomaniac in Magnolia; a rich brat is Vanilla Sky; Action Man in Mission Impossible) but he's hopeless "out of character".

This movie - like AI - is way better than the standard movie fare (especially a summer release) but - like AI - it will be quickly forgotten. Spielberg continues to turn interesting ideas into ordinary movies. Now if Ridley Scott had directed this movie... 7/10

Amazingly visionary concept!

Author: Benjamin Reed
28 March 2012

No one knows what the future is going to be like. We know the past and the present. But we will never know what the future will bring.

To bring the future to us,we have to go deep in our heads and search. "Minority Report" is a film that does that.Steven Spielberg,who amazed me last year with "A.I.:Artificial Intelligence" does it again with this film about a pre-crime unit that prevents a crime from happening before it happens using three psychics.This has to be one of the most involving,exciting films I have seen in years.Tom Cruise is the head of the pre-crime unit who is framed for a crime he is supposedly about to commit. Everything about this film is full of energy and great CGI visual effects which I think is very appropriate. Steven Spielberg is one of the most imaginative filmmakers in film history. Watching "Minority Report",I felt like I was hypnotized and sent to another world. "Minority Report" is a film that provides plenty of fun.Steven Spielberg has made a lot of great films and this film will be added to my list as one of them.

Future Crime Thriller!

Author: morgie55 from United States
27 March 2012

I remember when Minority Report first came out and it improved with a second viewing of the future.

The future is an interesting place; your advertising becomes personalized when you get eye scans upon walking into a store. Advertising is really expansive. And cars are automatic affairs running on rolling roads, reminiscent of Robert Heinlein's vision of "The Roads Must Roll" story.

Anyway, Phillip K. Dick (Blade Runner) came up with a short story adapted to film about a six year experiment called the Pre Crime Unit -- clairvoyants floating in a tank who together come up with an agreed-upon vision of the future -- a future where they can predict murders.

The pre crime cops jump on the murderers as they're about to commit a crime, after all the trio psychics are never wrong. Or are they? There are people who greatly depend on this system and when John Anderton and a government agent stumble onto some anomalies in the system, they become targeted by these special interests.

Spielberg spends a lot of time building up the Anderton character -- a man on drugs and greatly depressed on the disappearance of his son. And divorced from a woman who could not stand the reminder of her son whenever she looked in Anderton's eyes. Pretty sad.

Lots of chases and lots of fighting with the occasional peak at the future make for some interesting science fiction entertainment -- but at two hours, wow! Tom Cruise and Colin Farrell both play their characters well though I would have liked to have seen more character development in Colin's character.

Rental recommended!

Very Good!

Author: buiger from Monaco
14 March 2012

Spielberg really can make a movie. Very good, well paced, good plot, original idea, and good suspense.

If I have to find a point to criticize, I have to say the script does have some small flaws in my opinion, and one or two of the action scenes are a little overdone for my taste. Otherwise I mostly agree with the critics, especially on the fact that the f/x have been masterfully used yet not overdone so as to keep everything realistic. Very realistic is also the overall depiction of the future in fifty years. I really think it is really going to be very similar to what is portrayed, and yes, it does remind me a little of Blade Runner, probably because the author of the original story is the same. Very good entertainment.

Great sci-fi thriller

Author: Tweekums from United Kingdom
4 August 2009

This film is an intelligent sci-fi murder mystery with a twist... we know who the victim is, we know who the killer is but neither we nor the killer have the faintest idea why the killing will take place. Set in a future where the future can be seen by three "pre-cogs" murder is a thing of the past as the would be killers are arrested before they can commit their crimes. One day the head of this police department has terrifying shock when the pre-cogs tell him there is going to be a murder and he will be the killer.

From then on the hunter becomes the hunted as Chief John Anderton must run from his own officers to determine why he is destined to kill a stranger before they can incarcerate him. He is never fully sure who he can and can't trust and only has thirty six hours to find out if his destiny is truly written.

The acting is pretty good with Tom Cruise being believable as the fugitive police officer, however the best performance comes from Samantha Morton in the role of Agatha; the pre-cog who Anderton turns to for help and who in turn seeks his help in solving an old case. Steven Spielberg did a fin job directing this. Using just the right amount of special effects he never lets the story be overshadowed by explosions and excessive CGI. When I first watched it I wasn't too sure about the washed out colours used in every scene apart from the few flashbacks it the more of the film I saw the more I thought they suited the tone of the film. If you are a fan of slightly dystopian science fiction I'd certainly recommend this.

Brilliant

Author: suicidalicecreamtruckdriver from Australia
25 July 2009

How many movies have you seen that allows you to think about it for days? The first time you'll See this, I can guarantee that you will want to watch it again, because you won't have figured it all out. It's brilliantly directed and acted, with a magnificent set design. The holes are insignificant, and will get you thinking about it days and days afterwards. There is nothing negative about this masterpiece, and is really the reason why we go to the movies these days.For something inventive and amazing- see minority report, as it is a rare film. It gets you thinking, as most movies today fail to do, and yet becomes a modern day classic with its ideas

Uncredited extra?

Author: afq80 from United States
19 September 2005

I love trying to see actors in cameo roles doing favors for directors, producers, etc. I didn't catch Cameron Diaz the first time I watched this movie. It wasn't until seeing her name on IMDb as an uncredited extra that I went back and saw her. You would never know it was her unless you were really looking carefully, since only half her face is on the screen for about a second. But, I did see someone that I think was not listed as an uncredited extra. When they are running through the mall (remember the balloon man), Agatha grabs a woman and tells her "not to go home, he knows" (or something like that). The woman looks at Agatha like she was crazy. Was that woman in the mall not Lucy Liu??? Anyone else catch this?

one of Spielberg's best movies, technical great!

Author: Geert Verheyen from Belgium
16 June 2005

This is one of the best movies that Spielberg has ever made. A great movie, but the cause is not Tom Cruise, who is acting good but not better than in some of his other movies, but the real heroes who make this film a classic are the cameras. We see great movements from the camera in a great technical film with also an original story. Tom Cruise is an agent in the near future who works by Precrime, a project that can see murders before they are really happened. Everything goes well for 6 years, but then the cop (Cruise) is accused himself of murder. What happens next??? See the movie to know it!! My marks => 9/10

Brilliant!

Author: doyle-va from United States
11 June 2005

I think this is one of the best science fiction/action films ever. The pure style and intensity of this film will blow you away at first because it has been so long that a movie this well-made and entertaining has come out. Tom Cruise is excellent, and so is Colin Farrell in a smaller role. It's a shame we couldn't have seen more of Colin's character in the film-for he was entertaining to watch. There are sly bits of comedy that'll make you smile-and the fight scene in the car factory is phenomenal. I'm sorry if my word choice seems hyperbole-like, but after watching this film-you can't help but feel pumped. This movie is damn near close to being a 10, but I thought that they threw a little too many endings at you-which left you jarred. However, each ending wasn't shoddy or just thrown in there to make the plot make more sense.

This film proves that Spielburg is the master of making an entertaining film-and is a must see!