Buzz Lightyear of Star Command: The Adventure Begins

A treat for parents as well as kids!

Author: akbrown from Seattle, WA
19 October 2000

I have to say I was delightfully surprised with the new Buzz Lightyear video. Not only is there enough action and quirky stunts to keep the kids entertained, but the writers took pity on parents as well by throwing in a LOT of inside jokes and great taglines for us to enjoy as well! The new characters are fun (Larry Miller as XR is just a riot) and we get to see a terrific cast of gifted voice talent having a blast with their characters.

The violence factor is minimal cartoon violence - more campy than anything else. One of the biggest surprises is to hear Patrick Warburton doing the voice of the Little Green Men - as well as the hilarious cameo by William Shatner "singing" the Space Ranger anthem!! That in itself is worth a viewing. Overall, I have to say this is well worth at LEAST a rental, if not a purchase, particularly if you have young ones in the house who love Buzz to infinity and beyond!

Buzz is a blast!

Author: JohnnyPhoenix (Johnnyvolume555@hotmail.com) from Ottawa, Canada
3 June 2003

Buzz Lightyear of Star Command: The Adventure Begins

When the evil genius Zorg comes up with a diabolical plan to control the minds of others for his own personal bidding, Buzz Lightyear, Star Command's most heroic ranger, must set out to stop Zorg before he controls every single mind in the galaxy.

While on a routine rescue mission to a nearby planet, elite Star Command ranger Buzz Lightyear and his partner, Warp Darkmatter, encounter more danger than they expect as Warp unexpectedly perishes while the two are battling a gargantuan alien being. After the mission Buzz returns to Star Command and vows never to take up with a partner again. Unfortunately for Buzz he is soon assigned a hot-shot rookie partner, one Mira Nova. After much dispute, Buzz reluctantly agrees. But when he hears of a plan by the intergalactic criminal Zorg, to control the minds of others, Buzz sets out alone to stop Zorg before his plan can take full effect. When our hero catches up with the villain, he finds out that the Zorg has more tricks up his sleeve than Buzz had guessed, and he realizes he won't be able to stop Zorg alone.

Tim Allen once again returns to the role of Buzz Lightyear in Disney's straight to video release Buzz Lightyear of Star Command. Allen is once again fantastic in this spin-off of the popular Toy Story character. He really fits this character like a glove, giving him the exact personality and emotion as the character you see on the screen. Joining Allen are The Drew Carry Show's Deidrich Bader, as Buzz's daring Star Command partner Warp Darkmatter, and Seinfeld's Wayne Knight, adding his voice talents for the role of Lightyear's arch-enemy Zorg. As if this comes as a surprise to anyone, once again Disney really has done a fantastic job on its voice casting, suiting each character with a perfect voice match.

Star Command is actually a surprisingly good feature because, not only is this a spin-off film, it is also done without the fantastic computer graphics that that helped make the Toy Story films so wonderful. Director Tad Stones' film does however have better than average cartoon animation that is brimming with a vast array of colors. And although this film does not have the amount of great characters its predecessor had, it does have some of those film's stars, including Buzz himself, and of course the hilarious Little Green Men. Writers Bob Roth and Bill Motz also bring to this film their own characters, including the cowardly robot X.R and Booster, the gentle alien giant. Command also has a great blend of action and humor that would certainly appeal to most youth, however the film may be a little too violent for very young children.

This film may not be the answer to helping your children with their homework when you are busy, but if you're looking for a hero to take them away from Barney for a couple of hours, just call upon Buzz Lightyear of Star Command.

Overall Rating: 7.5 out of 10

As far as hilarious, action-packed space adventures go, this isn't a patch on "Galaxy Quest."

Author: Victor Field from London, England
2 February 2003

In "Toy Story 2," Woody finds out that he came from the TV show "Woody's Roundup"; Buzz Lightyear did it the other way around and for real. The trouble is that "Buzz Lightyear of Star Command" never really worked as a series, and this video feature doesn't really cut it - and that's without taking either of its truly great predecessors into consideration. If you do...

Essentially a feature-length pilot for the TV series*, "Buzz Lightyear of Star Command: The Adventure Begins" opens with a Pixar-animated prologue wherein Andy's toys get ready to watch the very movie we're about to (the subsequent series also begins with Buzz, Woody, Slinky etc congregating in front of the TV); the point of this is never clear, especially since Woody's reference to how Buzz is drawn underlines how different the two ventures are. The story has Buzz and his partner Warp Darkmatter rescuing three Little Green Men from Emperor Zurg, but when Warp is killed in the fighting our hero swears he won't have any partners anymore; as fans of the show know he wound up with three of them anyway, and this relates how he got together with Mira, Booster and XR.

The movie's got its moments (like the throwaway gag where XR reads a Victoria's Circuit catalogue) and it's hardly boring, but I can't imagine many viewers who've seen more than, oh, five movies being surprised at the movie's biggest plot twist; and the wit and depth of the previous movies is sucked out, leaving little more than a standard comedy-action cartoon. True, it makes sense that a toy like Buzz would inspire a cash-in TV series in the world according to "Toy Story," but do we actually have to see it? Watchable but bland; however, you can't deny that "He-Man" et al never had end credit songs from William Shatner(!).

*Like several other Disney TV cartoons ("TaleSpin," "Chip'N'Dale Rescue Rangers"), the pilot was later edited down and shown on the series in several parts, in this case three. In that version (those versions?), Shatner's song and the prologue with the video are absent, and Tim Allen's voice is replaced by Patrick Warburton, who provided Buzz's voice on the series.

kids might like the action,though it is pretty tame

Author: disdressed12 from Canada
2 February 2008

i wasn't too impressed with this animated spin off of the Toy Story films.i just expected better.the story was pretty weak,but at least there were a few amusing moments.i found it too preachy myself.i like the message it has,about friendship and teamwork,but i just thought it was a bit too unsubtle.kids might like it,considering there was a fair amount of action.there's nothing inappropriate that i saw,so it's probably suitable for most ages.in fact,the movie is pretty tame,with pretty much no violence.anyway,this isn't horrible by any means,it just isn't anything special.for me,Buzz Lightyear of Star Command:The Adventure Begins is a 2/5

Decent feature length pilot, worth watching if not quite up to the standard of the wonderful Pixar films

Author: TheLittleSongbird from United Kingdom
6 March 2010

You can probably guess that I loved the two Pixar films, they were sophisticated, funny and imaginative. This is a decent feature length pilot to the equally decent TV series. Of course some of it is corny, with one or two lacklustre plot points and a rather scant length. But the animation is good, more the galactic backgrounds rather than the character animation. Also there is some good music with William Shatner providing the biggest surprise singing over the end credits, and an excellent voice cast especially Wayne Knight as Zurg. A vast majority of the jokes are hits than misses, the best coming from Booster and Warp, and the dialogue has its moments. The characters have nice personalities, Mira is lovely, while Buzz is a good hero and Zurg an amusing villain. Overall, uneven but a decent pilot to a decent series. 7/10 Bethany Cox

I think this movie is action packed but also a feel good film.

Author: haleys_comet172002 from Australia
21 February 2002

This movie may not be a classic Disney masterpiece but the characters and story is just as good. It shows Buzz Lightyear from Toy Story in his own film. There is a completely new cast to add to this movie which is 2D unlike Toy Story's 3D. We are introduced to Mira Nova a Tangean space ranger who has the ability to "ghost" through solid objects, XR a robot ranger or experimental ranger and is the humor of the film, Booster a Custodian janitor who dreams come true by becoming a space ranger and Warp Darkmtter a villain who changed sides to bad. Buzz is the star of this film and show his adventure at star command in outer space. He has to battle Zurg and needs the help of his 3 new friends Mira, XR and Booster to win.

Clichés. Clichés everywhere.

Author: lokethecheetah
24 August 2013

This movie is full of classy cartoon 90's-ness. I enjoyed getting some of Buzz Lightyear's toy background, though I had to keep reminding myself that it wasn't Buzz of Toy Story that I was watching. I must admit it was quite weird seeing other beings in Buzz's uniform. It is quite like the Green Lantern Corps, now that I think about it. Altogether, it was quite a humorous movie with many quips and good vs. evil moments.

If you are a fan of the Toy Story franchise, then you'll enjoy this movie. If you enjoy the cartoon style of the 90's, then you'll enjoy this movie. But if you don't like either, then you probably will not like this corny, humorous space adventure.

The movie that started a great animated series

Author: moviefanman76-blogspot-com from United States
21 December 2012

After the success of Toy Story (1995) and Toy Story 2 (1999), Disney and Pixar studios thought it would be profitable for them to make a spin-off of one of the main characters, specifically Buzz Lightyear. Yes, having a Woody spin-off would have been interesting but honestly, I'm not quite sure any child would be interested a "western setting" TV show. Science fiction and futuristic worlds is what the majority people love now because it's a boundless area for exploration.

The story of this movie is about Buzz Lightyear, voiced by Tim Allen (from the Toy Story franchise), which enters the screen like any other space ranger would; confronting evil. There's really no need to go into plot for this review because it is very simplistic and understandable. And although this video is made mainly for the kids, young to old adults should be able to enjoy this film as well without having to shake their heads all that much.

Along with Tim Allen is Nicole Sullivan (Mira Nova), Larry Miller (XR), Stephen Furst (Booster) and Wayne Knight as the Evil Emperor Zurg. All of these actors give commendable performances as their characters. My two favorite characters were XR and Emperor Zurg. Larry Miller gives XR a great sense of humor and a lot of sarcasm to the table. As for Zurg, Wayne Knight just knows how to make Zurg sound evil but only on the surface and not too dark. Even Zurg has some comedic moments that are fun to watch. "Nanna Zurg"? Cute Zurg, real cute.

The animation, although I would not say totally looks professional, it at least looks good on the TV screen. From what I saw, there were only a few real visible continuity issues but overall the film was fairly persistent on sticking to what it output. There were even a couple of Easter eggs, for example, a small time on screen the viewer may see a magic lamp...cough cough Aladdin (1992) or...a giant three pronged claw that latches onto a mystical orb that belongs to the little green men...cough cough Toy Story (1995). It's all in there, it just needs to be looked at with a keen eye.

Action sequences are well animated too. The colors mesh well with the surroundings that they belong to and what they represent. Adam Berry is the composer to this film and I must say that he did a great job creating a main theme for our beloved Pixar character. The tune is catchy and also entertaining. I am still disappointed that the studio didn't make a Woody spin-off. I still think that would've been cool. Oh well. This film led up to a great TV series so that's a plus.

Having a spin-off of one of Pixar's most memorable characters was an excellent decision on Disney's part. The whole video is a blast.

There's plenty to enjoy here

Author: Ted-Striker from U.S.A.
17 November 2006

In a web interview a few years ago, one of the head honchos at Pixar was asked the secret to making a successful kids' movie and he said it was to make something that adults will enjoy. Kids, he said, have terrible taste; they'll will watch anything. A kids' movie that is too dumb for the grown-ups is going to languish at the box office. But if you make a movie with some clever dialogue and engaging plot, plus some elementary "teaching moments" that mainstream parents can discuss with their kids, then you will enjoy robust ticket and video sales.

Pixar put that formula to good use with their successful run of computer-animated films, but I am hesitant to watch anything released direct to video. But I was pleasantly surprised with Buzz Lightyear of Star Command: The Adventure Begins.

There's more "kids' stuff" here than in Toy Story and its progeny, but there's still plenty for adults to love. The voice talents are top-flight, especially Wayne Knight as Zurg. (Kudos also go to Stephen Furst, Adam Corolla and Larry Miller, all of whom seemed to be enjoying themselves and working their roles well.) Besides the voices, the film also offers some clever dialogue and good visual humor (picture a lazy robot reading a catalogue called "Victoria's Circuits"). The plot is competent. Good themes (like valuing teamwork and obeying the rules even when you don't like it) give the kids something to think about.

Finally, William Shatner shows up in the end credits with a laugh-out-loud spoken rendition of the Buzz Lightyear theme song: "To Infinity and Beyond." I had a good time explaining to my nephews and my son about Shatner's infamous "Lucy In the Sky (With Diamonds)" recording.

I'd like to see Pixar make more stuff like this.

Not perfect, but fun nonetheless.

Author: quicksilver_1602 from Australia
25 February 2005

If you ever want a bit of a laugh while babysitting, this might be a good film to have with you. Kids will love it simply because it's got Buzz Lightyear, an amusing villain, and loads of aliens. Maybe it's just a sign of my immaturity, but I found quite a lot of the jokes in this movie very funny (and even the parts that aren't funny can be vaguely amusing in their corniness). The characters do a lot for the movie - Lightyear's unlikely friend and partner Warp Darkmatter has several funny lines, and XR's personality changes and sarcasm make him quite endearing. Even the villain, the Evil Emperor Zurg, has his likable moments.

While you won't miss any life-changing moments if you don't see this movie (and really, it pales in comparison to the Toy Story movies), it's a good choice if you've seen every other kids' movie too many times and want to watch something that'll amuse you too.